Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #1321
Senior LCF Member
 
SeattleRadChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 67
Gallery: SeattleRadChick
Stats: 262/243/150
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
You're the first person I've seen who had successfully posted a ticker! Please, tell me how you accomplished that! I'd love to include a ticker in my signature.

Thanks!


I just copy and paste it on my posts. I have the code on Wordpad on my desktop. When my wieght changes and I update my ticker...I update the wordpad. It isn't as convenient as having it permanently in your signature, but I don't find it too much work. Hope it helps!

Betsy



SeattleRadChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
I want to make sure I'm reading pg. 1 correctly: No sour cream at all week one?
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #1323
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRadChick View Post
I just copy and paste it on my posts. I have the code on Wordpad on my desktop. When my wieght changes and I update my ticker...I update the wordpad. It isn't as convenient as having it permanently in your signature, but I don't find it too much work. Hope it helps!

Betsy



Thanks, Betsy. Maybe I'll try that. I just don't want to post it every time I post on a thread. That would be kind of rediculous. But I like how you do it, only when there is a change. They are such cute little things, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
I want to make sure I'm reading pg. 1 correctly: No sour cream at all week one?
At least. The whole time you're on induction is a sour cream free zone. Then you can start to add things like that back in, 5 grams at a time.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #1324
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
OK. Well, I'm starting '72 induction today for at least 2 weeks. I'm making taco meat to bring for lunch at work this week, it's sad all the seasoning packs have 24 carbs for a pound of ground beef!! I've found a few spice only recipes, but I was thinking I usually like sour cream on my taco meat... Oh well, I'll have some of that cheddar cheese I'm allowed on it instead. Thanks for the response!!

I've been on DANDR induction for about 3 weeks now, but I need to cut out the extra HWC/Cream Cheese and I guess sour cream, too.
__________________
Start: size 20W ~ Current: size 16 (they're tight and uncomfortable right now -pooh!) ~ Goal: size 10-12

Last edited by Bobbin; 02-07-2010 at 11:47 AM..
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #1325
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
OK. Well, I'm starting '72 induction today for at least 2 weeks. I'm making taco meat to bring for lunch at work this week, it's sad all the seasoning packs have 24 carbs for a pound of ground beef!! I've found a few spice only recipes, but I was thinking I usually like sour cream on my taco meat... Oh well, I'll have some of that cheddar cheese I'm allowed on it instead. Thanks for the response!!

I've been on DANDR induction for about 3 weeks now, but I need to cut out the extra HWC/Cream Cheese and I guess sour cream, too.
You might find this to be a gross idea, but here is an idea. If you like creamy ranch dressing, you can use that on your taco meat, in place of the sour cream. I think it's pretty good! It does the trick.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #1326
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
You might find this to be a gross idea, but here is an idea. If you like creamy ranch dressing, you can use that on your taco meat, in place of the sour cream. I think it's pretty good! It does the trick.
I do like it on my taco meat actually...do you make it or use store bought? Which brand?
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #1327
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
I like Buttermilk Ranch, and I just buy what appears to be a good deal. I tend to buy Ken's or Hidden Valley Ranch. If you try to make it homemade, as you already noticed about taco seasoning, you have to be careful what ingredients you use. I like the bottled kind. At least I know it only has 1 carb per serving. Just be careful about those serving sizes!

Enjoy your tacos!
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #1328
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,899
Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
OK. Well, I'm starting '72 induction today for at least 2 weeks. I'm making taco meat to bring for lunch at work this week, it's sad all the seasoning packs have 24 carbs for a pound of ground beef!! I've found a few spice only recipes, but I was thinking I usually like sour cream on my taco meat... Oh well, I'll have some of that cheddar cheese I'm allowed on it instead. Thanks for the response!!

I've been on DANDR induction for about 3 weeks now, but I need to cut out the extra HWC/Cream Cheese and I guess sour cream, too.
I think there is a recipe on Lindas recipe site to make your own taco seasoning---
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #1329
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
LINDA'S TACO SEASONING - BIG BATCH

4 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
2 tablespoons salt
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons MSG, optional

She says you don't really need the xanthan gum, but it helps make it thicker, like traditional taco seasoning. MSG is terrible for you, so think more than twice before adding it! It does enhance flavor, but at what price?
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1330
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
I think there is a recipe on Lindas recipe site to make your own taco seasoning---
That's the one I used, it turned out pretty good!! I need to bring more food though...for some reason I'm starving lately (and having low blood sugar attacks) at work. Is it OK to eat deli turkey, if it doesn't have sugar/fillers in it? I'm so hungry at work need some snackin's. I'm going to bring some boiled eggs tomorrow, but I really love deli turkey.....
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #1331
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
Sure! Make a turkey roll up with your favorite sliced cheese and knock yourself out.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #1332
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
OK, sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm used to DANDR rules, I don't want to mess this up!) I can have hot wing sauce, right?!?! It has zero carbs, I really hope so, I'm wanting some wings for dinner!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #1333
Blabbermouth!!!
 
verbqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Yes, you can. It's just vinegar and seasonings. Plus the added butter, which is also totally legal.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #1334
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Yes, you can. It's just vinegar and seasonings. Plus the added butter, which is also totally legal.
Great, thank you. Can I ask about 45 more things? Just kidding, you guys are a great help!! I'm going to look for the book this weekend, so I appreciate the instant advice!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #1335
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Monkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monkeeville USA
Posts: 6,258
Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Is 1/2 & 1/2 OK for week 1?
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #1336
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Monkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monkeeville USA
Posts: 6,258
Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
OK, sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm used to DANDR rules, I don't want to mess this up!) I can have hot wing sauce, right?!?! It has zero carbs, I really hope so, I'm wanting some wings for dinner!
Look at the ingredients.
Some list sugar as an ingredient even if listed as 0 carb. They are allowed to list 0 carb if it is <0.5g
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1337
Senior LCF Member
 
DebbiAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern CA Foothills
Posts: 63
Gallery: DebbiAnn
Stats: 200/195/150
WOE: Modified Atkins/CAD
Start Date: April 2009
Hi I have been doing low carbs since April and have lost 20 lbs. I have been having a problem since the holidays getting back on track. I am 65 and know that weight comes off slower as we age. I read the first several pages of this post just to get an idea of how Atkins 72 was different from DANDR. I am going to hit the used book stores tomorrow to find the book. This is day one of 0 carbs. I am glad I found this tread. I needed something to get me going again.
DebbiAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #1338
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
If you go to "Home" and then click on "Message boards" then click on "Atkins 1972", you will find a bunch of threads like this one. But the very first thread (labeled a "sticky") has all you need to know about this older version of Atkins, all in a tidy little post. I hope this helps, and I hope I directed you in a way that will actually lead you to where I want you to go! Feel free to ask questions, as needed.

One word of warning... don't think that if something is "legal" that you can eat lots of it. (don't gorge.) Excess meat will be used by the body the same as carbs will.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #1339
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,270
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Why half and half? Isn't that half milk, half cream? Why not just cream? I guess check the numbers.

ETA: I mean for the Faux milk i've heard H&H is easier than cream, but I'd think it'd have more carbs than plain cream and if you want to keep the lowest, cream would be lowest, right?

Last edited by metqa; 02-10-2010 at 09:47 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #1340
Big Yapper!
 
CherylB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,716
Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
If you go to "Home" and then click on "Message boards" then click on "Atkins 1972", you will find a bunch of threads like this one. But the very first thread (labeled a "sticky") has all you need to know about this older version of Atkins, all in a tidy little post. I hope this helps, and I hope I directed you in a way that will actually lead you to where I want you to go! Feel free to ask questions, as needed.

One word of warning... don't think that if something is "legal" that you can eat lots of it. (don't gorge.) Excess meat will be used by the body the same as carbs will.
Sorry! I gave you directions on how to get back to this thread! I didn't realize this WAS the Sticky I was stirring you towards. You'll have to forgive me; it's been a while. :blush:
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #1341
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Monkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monkeeville USA
Posts: 6,258
Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Why half and half? Isn't that half milk, half cream? Why not just cream? I guess check the numbers.

ETA: I mean for the Faux milk i've heard H&H is easier than cream, but I'd think it'd have more carbs than plain cream and if you want to keep the lowest, cream would be lowest, right?
Half&Half has less fat.
HWC triggers GI side effects with the meds I am currently taking. I am not low-fat, but I have reduced my fat intake where I can.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #1342
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,270
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Monkee View Post
Half&Half has less fat.
HWC triggers GI side effects with the meds I am currently taking. I am not low-fat, but I have reduced my fat intake where I can.
Well now we don't want you in any pain or discomfort, now, do we? I'm sure it would be fine. I was surprised that it is much lower in carbs than I expected when I looked at a carton in the store. I ended up buying some to try for a faux milk recipe from another thread.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #1343
Way too much time on my hands!
 
icebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 13,016
Gallery: icebear
Stats: 280/243/151 (5'5" tall) last ^D 7-15-10
WOE: Atkins' Returning after major life disruptions
Start Date: Feb 9,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK2003 View Post
The matzoh ball soup is a recipe in the book. The balls are made of egg, chicken fat, crushed pork rinds, and hot chicken broth.

anyone have this recipe?

i asked in the recipe forum and plenty of members have read my question but not a peep from anyone with the book....yet

if it is in the 1972 DADR book i am willing to buy it (want to read that anyway), but i want to make sure that it is in there and would like to know what anyone who has made the soup thinks of it.

i bake a lot of chicken thighs and i save the fat and juices, and our local dollar tree sells pork rinds...
i'd love to try it
icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #1344
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
Gallery: SpoWa
Soup recipe

AHA! Found in DADR 72

MATZOH BALL SOUP (Pg. 190) Serves 8

1 egg, separated
1 1/2 Tbl chicken fat
1/4 cup very hot water or broth
1/4 teas salt
3/4 cup crushed Baken-ets
2 quarts chicken soup

Beat yolk of egg with softened chicken fat until thick and well blended.
Pour into hot liquid and beat well.
Fold in salt and Baken-ets.
Beat egg white until stiff but not dry, and fold into mixture.

Chill for about an hour.
Heat 2 qts chicken soup to boiling. (Recipe follows)

Wet hands with cold water, and shape mixture into medium sized balls, about the size of a quarter. Drop into soup.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes, and serve.

total grams Trace


CHICKEN SOUP

4 or 5 pound chicken, cleaned and washed
3 quarts cold water
1 teaspoon salt
3 stalks celery (or 1 cup)
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoons chopped onion

Place chicken in col water. Bring to a boil. Remove foam that forms on top of the water.
Add remaining ingredients.
Cover and simmer the chicken until it is tender (about 3 hours).
The chicken must cool in this broth. It then can be removed and used later in a salad or soup.
After removing chicken, strain soup, and chill in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Remove the layer of fat that will come to the top when thoroughly chilled.
Heat broth for soup and sauces. Or use it cold to make an aspic or jellied soup.

total grams 7.2
grams per serving .7

Last edited by SpoWa; 02-13-2010 at 10:57 PM..
SpoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #1345
Way too much time on my hands!
 
icebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 13,016
Gallery: icebear
Stats: 280/243/151 (5'5" tall) last ^D 7-15-10
WOE: Atkins' Returning after major life disruptions
Start Date: Feb 9,2010
awesome, thanks!
icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #1346
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,270
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I don't even know what a matzo is and I was always afraid to eat it's balls. What does it taste like anyway, and why would I eat it(what occasion) i"ve seen the box mix in the specialty food section but they never tried to make it look very appetizing.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #1347
Major LCF Poster!
 
Bobbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,675
Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I don't even know what a matzo is and I was always afraid to eat it's balls. What does it taste like anyway, and why would I eat it(what occasion) i"ve seen the box mix in the specialty food section but they never tried to make it look very appetizing.
LOL, it's a jewish food, it's a soup. I've never eaten it either, though. My guess is I don't want to eat any balls either, maybe a meatball once in a while!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #1348
Way too much time on my hands!
 
icebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 13,016
Gallery: icebear
Stats: 280/243/151 (5'5" tall) last ^D 7-15-10
WOE: Atkins' Returning after major life disruptions
Start Date: Feb 9,2010
matzoh is an unleavened bread (no yeast, not puffy) more like a cracker. matzoh ball soup is a chicken & veggie based soup and the balls are a type of dumpling made from the crushed matzoh bread.

of course pork rind matzoh balls are um, not kosher at all... which is a bit ironic i guess. but if its as close to the real thing as i can get, i'm going for it.





...anyway, i wanted to come in here and mention that i bought the '72 book at amazon this morning, so i'll have the recipes to play with
icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #1349
Way too much time on my hands!
 
icebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 13,016
Gallery: icebear
Stats: 280/243/151 (5'5" tall) last ^D 7-15-10
WOE: Atkins' Returning after major life disruptions
Start Date: Feb 9,2010
ok, i made the recipe tonight and they are wonderful.

icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #1350
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,270
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
matzoh is an unleavened bread (no yeast, not puffy) more like a cracker. matzoh ball soup is a chicken & veggie based soup and the balls are a type of dumpling made from the crushed matzoh bread.

of course pork rind matzoh balls are um, not kosher at all... which is a bit ironic i guess. but if its as close to the real thing as i can get, i'm going for it.

...anyway, i wanted to come in here and mention that i bought the '72 book at amazon this morning, so i'll have the recipes to play with
Hey thanks for the explanation, that sounds good, I like dumplings, but hadn't had it in a while.

Funny about the Kosher thing, with pork rinds. Glad it tastes good, I'll have to try it soon, I've got plenty of pork rind "flour" I keep in a jar for important cooking occasions!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.