Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #1261
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCRose
Stats: 207.5/159/135
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: 4/27/09
Heck, I just bought a large artichoke for dinner. I knew I would be adding a few carbs but I'm so hungry for something besides meat. I am stunned to read that a large one has 17g, of carbs. Lots of fiber, but but....

Anyone here the has been Low Carbing for awhile have any more info for me? Would I be really blowing it?
LCRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #1262
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCRose
Stats: 207.5/159/135
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: 4/27/09
I decided to make one and split it with my husband, to keep the damage down. It turned out to be the first bad artichoke ever. We split the heart and the rest went in the trash. Saved!
LCRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #1263
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
It was fate LCRose!

j/k, sorry the artichoke was bad. I saw a delicious looking artichoke recipe on the food network a couple of weeks ago that I'm dying to try.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #1264
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msangie824
Is cream the only thing missing?

It looks very much like Atkins 72 with the exception of heavy cream? Am I missing other differences? BTW.....A very handsome couple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapacheryl View Post
This is the zero carb diet I was given by my doctor back in 1968 - before Dr. Atkins wrote the book....and I went from 160 to 122# in about 6 weeks.
It really works - but maybe because I was in my early 20's:
ON THIS DIET YOU MUST TAKE A MULTIPLE VITAMIN AND MINERAL CAPSULE

FOODS

Meat (except liver and liver sausage)
Fish (except wine sauce herring)
Seafood (except oysters)
Poultry (nothing to be breaded or floured,
No BBQ sauce or catsup)
Eggs (fixed any way)
Natural Cheese (with wax around)
(No cottage cheese, processed or yogurt)
Butter, Oleo
Fat
Salt/Pepper and other seasonings
Artificial Sweetners
Mustard & Horseradish
Mayonnaise *
Sour Cream Dressing *
Low Calorie Dressing * w/no sugar
Mushrooms (1T)
Beef or Chicken boullion broth
(No other soups)

*These items contain 2 cal. Of sugar per Tablespoon – DO NOT use excessively
** If desired as often as listed

Fried Pork Rinds (can be used as breading)
Sugar Free Gum (NO sugar free candy or other dietetic foods)
Cool Whip topping *
D-Zerta Jello and D-Zerta topping
Plain Knox Gelatin and sugar free kool-aid (mix together to make jello)
1C of lettuce (twice a day) **
NO OTHER VEGETABLES
NO FRUIT

BEVERAGES

Water (1/2 your weight in oz.)
Sugar Free Soda
Sugar Free Kool-Aid
Black Coffee and tea
Hard Liquor: (NO wine except dry vermouth, NO apricot brandy, drambouye, Southern Comfort, Liquorers)
NO regular beer
Lite Beer OK – Micholob Lite or Miller Lite
msangie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #1265
Senior LCF Member

Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
multi-vitamins?

I have been taking Centrum A to Zinc daily plus I take Garlic tablets daily as well. Is this a good choice? Does anyone have a better recommendation or other supplements that I need to add? I live outside the US but will be visiting home next month so I can shop and bring things back with me to Belize. I am doing Atkins 72.
dbglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #1266
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Do you tend to get charley-horses or other muscle cramps from ketosis? I do, so in addition to my multi I take a mineral supplement--calcium, magnesium and potassium. It sure helps prevent the cramps.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #1267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Do you tend to get charley-horses or other muscle cramps from ketosis? I do, so in addition to my multi I take a mineral supplement--calcium, magnesium and potassium. It sure helps prevent the cramps.
So far, no cramps but I will get the magnesium and potassium supplements. I did notice on Sunday during a hike that I had a small cramp in one leg and this not usually happen on this hike. Thanks... I read your post all the time and you are a great help.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #1268
Blabbermouth!!!

The one I take is a combo that contains all three- calcium, magnesium and potassium. But I think the most important one for cramping is the potassium, so if you can't find an all-in-one, go for potassium.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #1269
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
The one I take is a combo that contains all three- calcium, magnesium and potassium. But I think the most important one for cramping is the potassium, so if you can't find an all-in-one, go for potassium.
Another thing I read on some of the message boards was to find a multi-vit without "iron".. is this because with the WOE, you get enough iron in the large amount of protein? My multi-vit has 100% RDA.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #1270
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, that is the thinking about iron. If you get your protein in the form of a lot of chicken and fish, it may not matter, but if you eat a lot of beef, you don't need an iron supplement.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abbeycrombie
Stats: 240/240/140
WOE: Induction
Start Date: May 23, 2012
Hi there!

I'm sorry to ask this question again if it was already asked/answered in the thread but there were so many posts to go through here that I wasn't sure if I'd ever find the answer even if using the search feature.

I saw a few of the earlier posts but I'm still not clear on the revolution rolls. Are we to use cream cheese when it states "no cream cheese" or is it cottage cheese as mentioned several posts later?

Thanks a lot and hope everyone is doing well!
abbeycrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #1272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarg
Stats: 262/243/175
WOE: atkins
Start Date: july 15
for me the first 2 days are the hardest then my carb cravings go away and energy increases.
sarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #1273
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cmack
Stats: 6'2'' 370/330/2??
WOE: Atkin's 72
Start Date: 7/13/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglasgow View Post
So far, no cramps but I will get the magnesium and potassium supplements. I did notice on Sunday during a hike that I had a small cramp in one leg and this not usually happen on this hike. Thanks... I read your post all the time and you are a great help.
Morton's Lite Salt is pure potassium chloride and tastes just like regular salt. When I start having muscle cramps I will use it on my food and the cramps go away. I do this even if not lo-carbing.
Cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #1274

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Since Oopsie Rolls are so popular and so much more effective than the original Revolutionary rolls as far as heft and holdablility, does anyone use the oopsie concept of using 3 oz of cottage cheese instead of cream cheese to stay within the 72 food rules? or do just wait till after the first week and add cream cheese back in and make them that way?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #1275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peony
Stats: Down 26
Start Date: March 2007
I never use cream cheese for the rolls. I use sour cream instead.
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:16 AM   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Oh, how interesting. I'll have to try that.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 AM   #1277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
do they hold up as good as the cream cheese, using the sourcream, i've never used cottage cheese either, so would think it would be the same as using the sour cream

Thanks
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #1278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustJessie
Stats: ?/163.5/135 (5'0"/39 yo)
Start Date: 01/27/2014
Okay so I started doing "no carbs" as of last tuesday. I did Atkins about 18 yrs ago I assume it was this one. But ijust did it. The first 3 days could barley sleep and was having crazy dreams. My energy level is up definitely. I am in ketosis cause I bought the stix. I am very happy but I am already sick of eggs, chicken and meat. What can I add in week 2? Any suggestions? I dont have the book any longer going to try to look for it but in the meantime would like suggestions if anyone has any. I just dont know how long I will last. Everything is just soooo heavy!
JustJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #1279
Blabbermouth!!!

You probably need to add a few carbs in the form of dairy, and a nice green salad every day. Even Atkins '72 isn't zero carbs. These additions will help with the boredom.

However, there IS a zero carb plan, and you can find a thread about it listed under "Other Plans," if you want to check it out. Some people really get great results from it.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJessie View Post
Okay so I started doing "no carbs" as of last tuesday. I did Atkins about 18 yrs ago I assume it was this one. But ijust did it. The first 3 days could barley sleep and was having crazy dreams. My energy level is up definitely. I am in ketosis cause I bought the stix. I am very happy but I am already sick of eggs, chicken and meat. What can I add in week 2? Any suggestions? I dont have the book any longer going to try to look for it but in the meantime would like suggestions if anyone has any. I just dont know how long I will last. Everything is just soooo heavy!
What about the salad?
72 is not zero carb, you can have salad and low cal/carb veggies.You could make a cucumber or celery or other low carb/low cal salad that's very light and tasty. Here's a few suggestions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Radish Salad
Radishes sliced Thinly or chopped. (Sliced thinly looks nicer)figure out the counts for how many radishes you can have
1/2 oz lemon juice ( half your daily allowance)
1T Dry Minced Onion
1T Dry Parsley (or fresh if you wanna bother)
2t Braggs Liquid Aminos
Salt and Pepper to taste

I put the sliced radishes in a baggie, added the dry ingredients , a pinch of salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. I tossed in the lemon juice and aminos, shook it up, and instead of refrigerating it, just left it out to marinate. . . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curry Fish and Celery
one serving of Fish, cut into bite size chunks
1 cup fish or veggie stock ( think it could work with only half this, maybe)
A whole lot of celery (186g) I would use even more next time
1 3/4 teaspoon Curry powder, I would use less next time, like only one teaspoon
1/4t xanthan gum ( optional, but helps it thicken, without it you could serve this as a very spicy and yummy soup!!)
1/4 teaspoon ginger (ginger paste is so convenient)
2 cloves garlic ( I used the minced in the jar)
Couple of Sprigs of Cilantro, chopped for garnish and flavor

Make Sauce: Add xanthan gum to curry powder and mix, add 1/4cup of broth. Set aside

In a skillet, add half cup stock, the ginger and garlic and heat till aromatic, Add the celery and heat till warm stirring to incorporate the flavors. Remove veggies and set aside (I didn't) and add the Fish chunks and the rest of the broth ( I think it is assumed it would evaporate but I cooked it so quickly it didn't really , which is why I think you could use less broth.) When the fish turns white, add the sauce to the pan and cook stirring until either thickened or till the fish is fully cooked. Remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro. If thickened serve on a platter, if not serve in a soup bowl.

Very warming dish, and spicy such that it's hard to eat the whole thing in one serving. I split it into two.

This is made with the original ingredient volumes there is enough sauce to serve over "cauliflower rice" if you forego the celery. Add more meat if you like it heartier, or if you want it creamy add cream or coconut milk for a more authentic taste. I didn't cause I dont' like coconut milk, personally. since it's mostly fish, celery, spice and thickener, it shouldnt' be too high of a carb count.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunomono (Japanese Cucumber Salad)
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and seeded
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar ( or sweetener
2 teaspoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
Cut cucumbers into thin slices; place in bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, or until cucumbers are softened. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid.
Combine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and ginger in serving bowl; add cucumbers and mix well. Chill thoroughly before serving.
Makes 4 servings
They taste just like sweet pickles! Yummy. I used liquid aminoes for a milder taste than the soy sauce. ONLY LET THE SALT AND PICKLES SIT FOR 30 MIN! Longer than that and they get too salty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's no need for your meals to be boring!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Omelet Over Easy
For those of you who like the runny yolk of over easy but not the rubbery texture of the white, and for those who like the full flavor of scrambled but want the rich pure taste of yolk.

1/4 med onion sliced thinly
2 eggs
1 oz cheddar, shredded
cooking oil ( i recommend bacon fat)
seasoning for the egg

Melt the oil in the skillet on medium high and set the onion in the skillet in a single layer to brown and crisp.

Meanwhile, separate at least one of the eggs and set the yolk aside. You can separate both of the eggs if you want more yolk center. Scramble the whites ( or the whites and one egg) with seasoning salt, pepper, etc. to your taste.

When the onions have browned and start to turn crisp, sprinkle half the cheddar into the pan over the onions, it will begin to melt immediately. Pour the scrambled egg into the pan, and rotate to fully coat the bottom. Let the bottom set up, then while tilting the pan to the side, use the spatula to lift a portion of the cooked bottom so that the liquid mixture still on top will flow underneath and cook. Do this all around the skillet till there is very little liquid egg left on top. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and gently add the yolk off center. Carefully lift up one edge of the omelet, and fold it over to the other edge, trapping the yolk inside. Let it heat a minute longer to warm and set the center, then slide onto your serving plate.

You'll have the rich blended flavor of scrambled egg speckled with crispy sweet onion and sharp cheese, but when you cut the center a pool of warm rich yolk will burst forth inviting you to dip your scrambled portion and sigh in over easy delight.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #1281
Senior LCF Member

Oh goodness maybe thats cause I am not a "cook" I dont know what half of those ingredients even are. Could be the reason I am getting bored and also I dont like most vegetables especially any on the induction week list. But thanks for the help. I am realizing more and more that you have to cook and be creative on low carb diets a bit hard for me.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #1282

Quote:
Oh goodness maybe thats cause I am not a "cook" I dont know what half of those ingredients even are. Could be the reason I am getting bored and also I dont like most vegetables especially any on the induction week list. But thanks for the help. I am realizing more and more that you have to cook and be creative on low carb diets a bit hard for me.
haha, you're so cute! What you don't like pickles? the sunomono taste like sweet pickles and most have the ingredients if not rice vinegar, then apple cider or even regular will work. The radish salad is easy and even surprised me how tasty it is for radishes.

But a simple salad with lettuce and cucumber and a few black olives and avocado sounds great to me anytime. Choose your own dressing.

What vegetables DO you like on the list, or are willing to try
? it's amazing how you can simplify and adapt when you need to.

BTW:
Liquid Aminoes = a brand of light non fermented soy sauce, you can use soy sauce
Xanthan gum = a low carb thickener, it can be left out of most recipes
rice vinegar = asian style vinegar made from rice, has a lighter flavor than white
ginger paste = just ginger already mashed up, you can use fresh and grate it with a cheese grater

I'm a foodie, but I don't like complicated recipes. I assure you, the ones I posted are so very easy, just alot of words in the description.

Last edited by metqa; 09-14-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #1283
Senior LCF Member

LOL thanks u r too kind Yeah it was the Liquid Aminoes, Xantham gum, ginger paste etc. I loooove avocados, lettuce is okay but I usually need Tomato's with it I guess if the dresing is ok I can eat it. I hate celery and cucumbers.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #1284

Quote:
I hate celery and cucumbers.
OH NO!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #1285
Senior LCF Member

I know tragic and I cant eat any raw vegetables must be cooked to unrecognizable tastes lol! ay yay yay! I am in for it. But I am sticking to it. I made a quiche cheeses/egg/spinach last night for breakfast today and it tastes pretty good. I am proud of myself - lol!

I also bought fish last night and possibly going to try your recipe minus the celery oh and the xanthum gum (because I wouldnt know where to get it on such short notice) what do you think, will it work???
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #1286

Quote:
I know tragic and I cant eat any raw vegetables must be cooked to unrecognizable tastes lol! ay yay yay! I am in for it. But I am sticking to it. I made a quiche cheeses/egg/spinach last night for breakfast today and it tastes pretty good. I am proud of myself - lol!

I also bought fish last night and possibly going to try your recipe minus the celery oh and the xanthum gum (because I wouldnt know where to get it on such short notice) what do you think, will it work???
haha! Yeah, it would work. and you don't need the xanthan gum, it just makes it thicker. they sell it in the health food section of Kroger Stores, if you have any of those. The celery is just a filler veggie to stretch the meal. the sauce is not dependent upon it. In fact I say sub any veggie, that you can eat, for the celery or just leave it out. Bell peppers could work for example, but they are higher in carbs.

I'm proud of you too. I can't manage to make an acceptable quiche!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #1287
Senior LCF Member

Hey Where is Everyone been? Well I am happy to announce that in 3 weeks I have lost about 8 1/2 pounds which is good I guess this past week I dont think I lost any. I lost the 7 in the first 2 weeks and 1 1/2 the third week and week 4 is a wash. I had lots of alohol last weekend and accidentally drank some sweetened iced tea. I swore it was diet I dont know why I didnt realize it wasnt after it tasted so damn gooooooddd, wichful thinking that I could liet something with artificial sweetener. Anyways I think I need to start over again, cause well I just do. I think I was eating too much cheese and carbs from the start not close enough to zero. But I cant imagine eating just meat all day.... But just mayube for the next few days I will. Anyway just catching up with y'all how is everyone else doing? Metqa how are you and all your funky recipe ingredients! LOL Good day all!

Oh and one more thing I am reading the Atkins book and I am wondering why I dont have all this energy. The first week I did. I couldnt even sleep at night between the crazy dreams and nightmares and having energy but the last 2 1/2 weeks I am back to my old tired self. Any suggestions? I just wanna lil more energy and not to be tired all day long???

But it is true that I am not hungry and have not been in 4 weeks that is a wonderful feeling!

Last edited by JustJessie; 10-01-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 10-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #1288
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: perlchyk
Stats: 192/159.2/155
WOE: HCG R2P2
Start Date: July 4, 2009
Quote:
Oh and one more thing I am reading the Atkins book and I am wondering why I dont have all this energy. The first week I did. I couldnt even sleep at night between the crazy dreams and nightmares and having energy but the last 2 1/2 weeks I am back to my old tired self. Any suggestions? I just wanna lil more energy and not to be tired all day long???

But it is true that I am not hungry and have not been in 4 weeks that is a wonderful feeling!
You said you've been eating off plan (sweet tea, alcohol). That probably has something to do with it!
perlchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #1289
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlchyk View Post
You said you've been eating off plan (sweet tea, alcohol). That probably has something to do with it!
Thanks but that just this week, the 4th week. So I still had no energy week 2 and 3, It was only the 1st week where I had energy. The sweet tea happened yesterday so that has nothing to do with it. yes last weekend i drank but i was tired before i drank. I he still been in ketosis even with the alcohol but not since the tea.

Last edited by JustJessie; 10-02-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #1290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sammymomma
Stats: 300/223/199
WOE: Low carb!! weight watchers
Start Date: 2/17/2013
I just ordered the book.the original..This looks like it could work for me....
sammymomma is offline   Reply With Quote