Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #1171
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SqueezeMe
Just a quick question for you successful low carbers ... do you think I'm more likely to keep the weight off long-term if I accept my weakness for certain foods and learn to limit my intake of those foods or should I just remove those foods from my diet completely and learn to live with it?
SqueezeMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #1172
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nurse1946
I found "Dr. Atkins Diet Revolusion(spelling) on Amazon.com
nurse1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #1173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gonna lose it
Stats: 225/213.6/150.... 5'8
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/1/12
Hello everyone. I just got done reading this whold thread. So I was wondering if Bella or Cheryl are still around somewhere because it's been two years since bella started so I wanted to know if the weight stayed off. I just started this monday and am hoping to lose 50lbs by my 20th birthday
gonna lose it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
SqueezeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeMe View Post
Just a quick question for you successful low carbers ... do you think I'm more likely to keep the weight off long-term if I accept my weakness for certain foods and learn to limit my intake of those foods or should I just remove those foods from my diet completely and learn to live with it?
It really depends on how much you want to lose. If it's a few lbs, limiting may or may not work. If it's alot of pounds you want to lose and if you are going to do Atkins '72 - you must go by the book - no tweaking. The reason is to get your body into the fat burning stage - ketosis and to reduce your appetite so that you don't even WANT to cheat. Cheating on a diet is cheating yourself, really.

Atkins is not just about low carbs, it a mind-set of eating according to his recommendations so you can stop the present eating patterns that got you overweight to begin with. It is also not a "I'd do Atkins for a week, then quit" type of diet. That is actually unhealthy because of the fats, calories and proteins that you must intake to make it work - then going back to carbs whenever you crave a carb. Eating high fat, high protein, high carbs and high calories will surely make you gain weight. Of course, then you can't blame Atkins diet if you dont' play by the rules. Good luck
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #1175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tskb
Stats: 219.6/160
WOE: Atkins 7/8/13
I am new to the Atkins Induction and really want to do the 72 so hoping someone can share a basic menu plan. I have a lot of weight to lose but I tend to get discouraged fast so would like to see results to keep me motivated.

Thanks in advance!
tskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #1176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ginny99
zero carb diet posted byixtapacheryl

This sounds like the "drinking mans diet " that was around a few years before Atkins....

The Drinking Man's Diet - Forbes.com
Ginny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #1177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mickey65
Stats: 265/224/140
WOE: Low Fat Diet
Start Date: Sept 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny99 View Post
This sounds like the "drinking mans diet " that was around a few years before Atkins....

The Drinking Man's Diet - Forbes.com
What's with these people signing on to make these one off-the-wall posts and then never posting again?
mickey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #1178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
What's with these people signing on to make these one off-the-wall posts and then never posting again?

[COLOR="Black"] That is true and I just love responding to a plea of help by typing practically a book for them and never hearing from them again. It's like I'm talking to myself!!! Why do I bother?[/COLOR]
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #1179
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loftygoals
Stats: 260/251/125
WOE: atkins 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Lofty,

Well, if you want, we can keep it alive and running!

I was on the later Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution from 2/16 up until last Saturday. The reason I decided to kick it up is because during those 3 weeks, I only lost 3lbs, then 2lbs. I did lose 8 1/2" total body which is pretty good.

Five years ago, I did the Atkins 72 and lost more weight and quicker. So, I decided to make the switch. In 4 days of 1972 Atkins, I lost 6 lbs. That little bit of difference in eating made a big difference in my metabolism.

What is your story and why are you going on this woe?
[/COLOR]
Hello,

Thank you for answering me. I am so sorry to post and disappear. Anyway, I am returning now, and I hope to stay on track. My story is that eight years ago i lost A LOT of weight with this WOE. THEN I got married and it all went downhill from there.( my weight i mean) This seems to be the only way my body will cooperate with weight loss. I have been doing this for exactly 10 days and have lost 9 pounds. But now i seem stuck even tho my keto sticks are turning deep purple. But still 9 pounds! woo hoo! I get discouraged easily so im hoping to stay more focused by visiting this forum and talking with all the nice folks here daily.
loftygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #1180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftygoals View Post
Hello,

Thank you for answering me. I am so sorry to post and disappear. Anyway, I am returning now, and I hope to stay on track. My story is that eight years ago i lost A LOT of weight with this WOE. THEN I got married and it all went downhill from there.( my weight i mean) This seems to be the only way my body will cooperate with weight loss. I have been doing this for exactly 10 days and have lost 9 pounds. But now i seem stuck even tho my keto sticks are turning deep purple. But still 9 pounds! woo hoo! I get discouraged easily so im hoping to stay more focused by visiting this forum and talking with all the nice folks here daily.
10 days and lost 9 lbs! That is the best I've heard yet! Keep going. The reason for the slow down is that your body is now adjusting. Your keto stick is telling you that your body is now going to burn fat. Be sure to drink lots of water and do some exercises too to help your body burn. Keep on going, girl!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #1181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: badgerbabe287
Stats: 155/135/130 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2008/restarted June 2010
Hi whitedove, we have similar stats. Are you following DANDR or Atkins '72. I have been really slacking and just started nursing school but i want to get serious before summer is here so im starting today! I plan to try Atkins 72 this time mainly bc i need to limit my cream consumption to 4tsp instead of 3 tbls and also stop eating the cream cheese and just too much cheese in general.

I am usually really strict during the week but end up 'cheating' about once a week. I need to stop that. Luckily, my weight has creeped up too much. I just finally want to get to my goal!
badgerbabe287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #1182
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
10 days and lost 9 lbs! That is the best I've heard yet! Keep going. The reason for the slow down is that your body is now adjusting. Your keto stick is telling you that your body is now going to burn fat. Be sure to drink lots of water and do some exercises too to help your body burn. Keep on going, girl!
Thanks for the encouragement it helps a lot! How are you doing working towards your goal?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #1183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbabe287 View Post
Hi whitedove, we have similar stats. Are you following DANDR or Atkins '72. I have been really slacking and just started nursing school but i want to get serious before summer is here so im starting today! I plan to try Atkins 72 this time mainly bc i need to limit my cream consumption to 4tsp instead of 3 tbls and also stop eating the cream cheese and just too much cheese in general.

I am usually really strict during the week but end up 'cheating' about once a week. I need to stop that. Luckily, my weight has creeped up too much. I just finally want to get to my goal!
Hi,
I don't believe cream cheese is on the Atkins 72 Induction at all. Stick to hard cheeses - 3 oz max. If you have to have milk in your coffee - use heavy cream but just a little. I did Atkins 72 for one week of Induction and lost 6 lbs. Your allowed 2 cups of salad a day. You can have SF jello for dessert. The main thing is to stick to it and don't deviate. This is the fastest way to get into ketosis (fat burning stage) - then the lbs come off. Do you have the Atkins 72 book? If not, I recommend getting it. You can order online "used".

I am basically still on the Induction for most days but some days I eat more veggies and do the DANDR version. I keep my carbs from veggies to a limit of about 10-15 grams. The last time I did Atkins 72 - I did Induction for 3 months and got too thin, too fast and my skin turned yellow and I had dark circles under my eyes. I didn't take a super potent vitamin either. This time I vowed to do it different.

Now, I am in the process of getting excercise DVDs. My skin is hanging off me so I need to build my muscles up. That's where I'm at. I still have about 6 lbs to go and hope to continue to lose that and start incorporating some berries and nuts to carb up. Without exercise, I don't dare try that!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #1184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftygoals View Post
Thanks for the encouragement it helps a lot! How are you doing working towards your goal?
Your welcomed. I am plugging along - slowing down in the lbs losing but happy that I'm not gaining. As I've stated in the previous post, I need to tone up. Been slacking with that bascially because I was conserving energy to stay on the plan. If I would have excercised from the get-go, I would have been hungrier. Now that my body is adjusting to this low carb eating and I take vitamins - multi, B complex, magnesium, calcium and additional C - I feel more energetic to excercise. It's about stages, I think for me.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #1185
Senior LCF Member

I want to do the Atkins 72 because it seems to be the most sufficient in really shedding the pounds. I thought I had been doing it for almost 1 week and have yet to be in ketosis so i know I must be doing something wrong. I have deviated at all from the plan but thinking I need to get the book and make sure I am doing it the right way.
tskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #1186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskb View Post
I want to do the Atkins 72 because it seems to be the most sufficient in really shedding the pounds. I thought I had been doing it for almost 1 week and have yet to be in ketosis so i know I must be doing something wrong. I have deviated at all from the plan but thinking I need to get the book and make sure I am doing it the right way.
[COLOR="Black"]Yes, I recommend getting the book for sure. It doesn't work if you don't follow it to the "T". 1 week Induction before you can carb up. I've lost 6 lbs in 1 week and I'm not even considered overweight. I started with the newer Atkins and only lost 2 lbs in a month and then decided to go 1972 Atkins and then the weight came off and didn't come back. [/COLOR]
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #1187
Way too much time on my hands!

Linda, can you give a typical menu for Sherri until she gets her book? I wanna know what you are eating too
we are about the same in weight. I am only 5.5 I want to get to 127
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #1188
Junior LCF Member

I am still stuck but the sticks are still turning purple. Im still plugging along tho. I waited until now to start exercising. Today will be the first day and maybe it will get me past my stall.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #1189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
Linda, can you give a typical menu for Sherri until she gets her book? I wanna know what you are eating too
we are about the same in weight. I am only 5.5 I want to get to 127
I'm not on Atkins 72 Induction anymore and my doctor wants me to go to South Beach as of today's meeting but I'll post what I did eat that week that lost me 6 lbs.

Breakfast: either nothing or (2) Cheesy Egg Bakes or 2 scrambled eggs with ghee (or unsalted butter) , sometimes I fried my eggs with organic coconut oil.

Lunch: Chef salad (lunchmeat of beef, turkey, ham - 3 slices each) - 1 cup of bagged salad different lettuces, a couple of radishes cut up. 1 carb Italian ,Greek dressing or Blue Cheese Dressing. Or a large cheeseburger with 1 cup of salad.

Snack: lunchmeat and cheese roll ups or a couple of pieces of canned corned beef (Hormel's).

Supper: Healthy sized portion of chicken 3x a week, beef 2 x week, 1 day of pork chop, 1 day of seafood (flounder, tuna steak or salmon). 1 cup of salad and 1/4 cup of green beans with butter.

Later snack: SF jello - 1 cup with a protein: cheese or some of left over chicken.

Drinks: I needed regular coffee to get me through the day - black and water as much as I could take.

The 1st 2 days of the 1972 Induction was quite an adjustment for my body and I felt weak and achy. Then, the 3rd day - I felt energetic and the water weight disappeared. I had no motivation to excercise during this week but I still lost the weight. I wish I could have.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #1190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I'm not on Atkins 72 Induction anymore and my doctor wants me to go to South Beach as of today's meeting but I'll post what I did eat that week that lost me 6 lbs.

Breakfast: either nothing or (2) Cheesy Egg Bakes or 2 scrambled eggs with ghee (or unsalted butter) , sometimes I fried my eggs with organic coconut oil.

Lunch: Chef salad (lunchmeat of beef, turkey, ham - 3 slices each) - 1 cup of bagged salad different lettuces, a couple of radishes cut up. 1 carb Italian ,Greek dressing or Blue Cheese Dressing. Or a large cheeseburger with 1 cup of salad.

Snack: lunchmeat and cheese roll ups or a couple of pieces of canned corned beef (Hormel's).

Supper: Healthy sized portion of chicken 3x a week, beef 2 x week, 1 day of pork chop, 1 day of seafood (flounder, tuna steak or salmon). 1 cup of salad and 1/4 cup of green beans with butter.

Later snack: SF jello - 1 cup with a protein: cheese or some of left over chicken.

Drinks: I needed regular coffee to get me through the day - black and water as much as I could take.

The 1st 2 days of the 1972 Induction was quite an adjustment for my body and I felt weak and achy. Then, the 3rd day - I felt energetic and the water weight disappeared. I had no motivation to excercise during this week but I still lost the weight. I wish I could have.

Thanks for jumping in to help me figure this out. Well breakfast has been nothing but eggs and sausage/bacon. Lunch salad with grilled chicken (might have not used the right kinds of dressing) light balsamic or buns hamburger side salad. Dinner is steak/seafood(grilled)/ green beans, salad, aspargus. I have been drinking lipton diet instant tea which says 1 carb per serving. Switched to crystal lite today. Snacks cheese or boiled egg. I did have vodka a few times. I did finally get the stick to turn some what purple (moderate) so was glad to see that maybe something clicked for me....
Old 04-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #1191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: badgerbabe287
Stats: 155/135/130 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2008/restarted June 2010
well, i was originally following DANDR, which allowed cream cheese. I think i've been overdoing it with the oopsies and just cheating overall. I want to get serious now and started today on atkins 72. The main things ive noticed that are different between 72 and DANDR 2002 is no cream cheese allowed on 72 but we can have cottage cheese, 4 tsp of heavy cream instead of 2-3 tblsp and 1 cup of salad 2x per day. Does this sound correct?
badgerbabe287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #1192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbabe287 View Post
well, i was originally following DANDR, which allowed cream cheese. I think i've been overdoing it with the oopsies and just cheating overall. I want to get serious now and started today on atkins 72. The main things ive noticed that are different between 72 and DANDR 2002 is no cream cheese allowed on 72 but we can have cottage cheese, 4 tsp of heavy cream instead of 2-3 tblsp and 1 cup of salad 2x per day. Does this sound correct?
Not cottage cheese - that's after Induction to add back in 5 carbs. The cups of salad is correct. You can have SF Jello too. Not sure on the heavy cream amounts because I don't use cream in my coffee but it sounds right. Remember to eat alot of protein w/fat or else you will be hungry and depleted. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #1193
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Where can I get a copy of the 1972 Atkins book?

I can't seem to locate a copy.
The only one on ebay is like 21.00!
I think that is pretty pricey for an old book.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #1194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DCellen
Just go to Amazon and search for Atkins diet books. Scroll through the list, looking at the published dates in parenthesis. Right now, they've got a copy listed for $4.74.
DCellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #1195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCellen View Post
Just go to Amazon and search for Atkins diet books. Scroll through the list, looking at the published dates in parenthesis. Right now, they've got a copy listed for $4.74.
Hi D:

Just curious...what is your WOE: gray sheet?

Hey Atkins '72 gang,

Just in case your wondering about my signature....my doctor wants me to switch to South Beach for now because of my lab results being questionably and then wants to re-test me. I am hesitant because I've been doing so good on Atkins 72 and already in 3 days of SB - my scale went up 3 lbs. Now I know it's water weight, but what the heck? Phase I of SB is about the same as Atkins DANDR except for using low fat cheese and Smart Balance instead of butter. Obviously, my body knows something's up. I'm not jumping ship from the Atkins boards and am here to help anyone with questions. I know the Atkins woe pretty well and who knows, I may be back on this plan after a few months.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #1196
Junior LCF Member

Hey Linda,

Grey Sheet is one of the early prescribed food plans from Overeaters Anonymous back when they passed out official food plans. It's somewhat low carb and very strict on portions (everything is weighed and measured). I'm currently looking at the possibility of switching to Atkins to reduce the carbs.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #1197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey Linda,

Grey Sheet is one of the early prescribed food plans from Overeaters Anonymous back when they passed out official food plans. It's somewhat low carb and very strict on portions (everything is weighed and measured). I'm currently looking at the possibility of switching to Atkins to reduce the carbs.
Hmmm, sounds daunting to have to weight and measure. That would make me super obsessive about food (I'm already half way there these days )
I could never do Weight Watchers and never bothered trying. Counting my carbs on ****** is my limit.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #1198
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:

Thanks
I just ordered a copy from Amazon for under 5 bucks w/shipping!
Great price. I can't wait till I get it.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #1199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jordan42
Stats: 210/190/170
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: April 13 2009
Hi all,

Can you tell me your best recommendation .. Atkins 72 or Stillmans.
jordan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #1200
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmmm, sounds daunting to have to weight and measure. That would make me super obsessive about food (I'm already half way there these days )
I could never do Weight Watchers and never bothered trying. Counting my carbs on ****** is my limit.
Yeah, it is - which is part of why I'm considering changing my food plan. It was what I needed at the time though. Portion control is not my forte!