Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #1081
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
You just have to keep checking Ebay for it or garage sales, eventually you will find it. It took me about a month to track it down via Ebay.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #1082
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
thanks for the advice - I appreciate it. There were so many versions I wasn't sure what one to look for. I have not been following anything, just trying lc, but that really isn't working for me...I need more of a plan...I am so busy that I need to prepare or I'll grab the wrong things, just for convenience. I get up 4 am every day, work at a cafe, cookies, muffins, homemade bagels and breads, food everywhere...drives me crazy. I am trying to take my own food along everyday, so I'm not tempted but, it used to be so easy to put a cookie in my pocket and nibble....I need strength, support, and a good plan in my mind and on paper. Thanks for your help..
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #1083
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: southernbella
Stats: 165/155.0/125
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 06/16/2008
Hi everyone! I just started yesterday. I found the '72 book today on Amazon for .15 (plus 3.99 shipping, and there are a few other copies. I'm mainly following ixtapacheryl's Dr's plan (page 1) until it comes in.
southernbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #1084
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jleblanc
Stats: 252(HW 225.2 Start this time /220.8/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 03/ again February 10,2011
Hi, I have read through the posts and thought I would try this version of Atkins. I have sucessfully used the newer version of his plan in the past and lost 55 lbs in 04. I bounced around some after an accident but have gotten back to where I was previously and then down a few. I have noticed that i have stalled more this time than before. Probably because I used more low carb goodies, I love to bake. My numbers are 252 high weight in 04, 190 current and 155/145 goal. I have alot of muscle so my goal weight is a quite a bit higher than most peoples my height. I have enjoyed reading the posts and find them quite encouraging. Thanks, Jodi
jleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #1085
Senior LCF Member

does anyone know how much mayo we can/should have a day? I just need to mix a little in my egg salad. Not crazy about eggs, but can eat them this way. Just started induction and still waiting for a book to come. Thanks.
duece49424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #1086

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
I started induction on Sun. Lost a little over 3 pounds since. I know most is water weight. According to my keto stix I am not in ketosis so I do not know whats going on. I am checking to see if what I am doing is throwing me out. Trying to stay in the main carb count area. WIll keep you posted.
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #1087
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
Jane, I don't have my book in front of me, but on '72 so far as I know, mayo is one of those luxuries you can have in what is called unlimited amounts. Now that said, I probably wouldn't eat it by the ladleful LOL... but for your egg salad and dipping meats in, you'll be fine. Course now you sometimes DO have to watch what is in your mayo. Some folks use regular mayo off the shelf with no problems, but some of them do have sugars in them and trace sugars can affect some people if your body happens to be sensitive. I use Duke's brand which is sugar free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
does anyone know how much mayo we can/should have a day? I just need to mix a little in my egg salad. Not crazy about eggs, but can eat them this way. Just started induction and still waiting for a book to come. Thanks.
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #1088
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Excellent loss Sheila! Congrats.

This is just my experience with those darned sticks of course but ... the only time I ever showed a medium or dark pink was when I tested my urine with the first bathroom visit of the morning. Kinda like you do with the pregnancy tests. I never ever reached purple though! Now, sometimes if I taken in a lot of water later in the day or evening, I am up a few times during the night, so if you've already peed quite a few times before you test that morning, it may not register correctly. I never registered anything if I tested during the day, so I think whatever I ingested often affected the reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
I started induction on Sun. Lost a little over 3 pounds since. I know most is water weight. According to my keto stix I am not in ketosis so I do not know whats going on. I am checking to see if what I am doing is throwing me out. Trying to stay in the main carb count area. WIll keep you posted.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jodi! How are you doing with the venture back to pure Atkins? DANDR is a bit more liberal, but if you want to do it clean, '72 is a great place to get back to the basics for sure. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleblanc View Post
Hi, I have read through the posts and thought I would try this version of Atkins. I have sucessfully used the newer version of his plan in the past and lost 55 lbs in 04. I bounced around some after an accident but have gotten back to where I was previously and then down a few. I have noticed that i have stalled more this time than before. Probably because I used more low carb goodies, I love to bake. My numbers are 252 high weight in 04, 190 current and 155/145 goal. I have alot of muscle so my goal weight is a quite a bit higher than most peoples my height. I have enjoyed reading the posts and find them quite encouraging. Thanks, Jodi
Old 06-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #1090

Well I didnt think of that but I drink water all day and all night. LOL. At my age, I visit the ladies room every two hrs or so at night. Could be why no color change. Thanks.
I think I must be in ketosis. I feel nauseaus (sp) and so not hungry.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #1091
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jillie
Atkins '72

Can someone tell me if you are allowed to have cottage cheese on induction. I tried this many years ago and I thought it was allowed at that time. I cannot find my original book since we have moved. Thanks
jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #1092
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jillie - you are probably thinking of the Stillman diet - the original low carb (but low fat) diet - where cottage cheese is king! The only induction cheeses allowed on the Atkins '72 version are hard, aged cheeses and only 4 ounces a day, though be aware that cheese is a staller for some. No soft cheeses, including cream cheese, which was later allowed on induction in DANDR, the newer version of Atkins.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #1093
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheila, I know what you mean (I'm 50 myself) but remember that is only my theory on the sticks. I got so frustrated after doing clean induction only to never have the sticks change until it occured to me to start testing it first thing in the morning. Just remember ... everyone is different, so YMMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
Well I didnt think of that but I drink water all day and all night. LOL. At my age, I visit the ladies room every two hrs or so at night. Could be why no color change. Thanks.
I think I must be in ketosis. I feel nauseaus (sp) and so not hungry.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #1094

well I finally had a color change yesterday afternoon. Just a trace to med. But its something, but then got up this morn with one pound gain. Go figure!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #1095
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mary! Thanks for asking. I am frustrated that I have been working at this for a month and am only down about 9 pounds. I did some low carb baking the third week and a half or so and I am sure that slowed me down, it kept me from feeling deprived however. I tend to be a bit impatient and that is part of the problem. I feel like I should see some progress every couple of days. I am hoping that this will provide that progress. The funny thing is I lost a bit here and there when I started the baking. I am going to start C.O. today. do you have any experience with it?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #1096
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not really. I make that coconut oil chocolate bark sometimes and this morning for the first time I did fry my eggs in it. That's about the extent of my use but before I just had the cheap stuff from Walmart and now I have the extra virgin stuff by Nutiva. It definitely tastes more like coconut. I have heard that if you start off with it full force, it can give you stomach upset and excuse the bluntness... the runs. But that's just about any oil that you start taking so start slow with it. Some people put it in their coffee but I haven't tried that - keep forgetting about it.

I know what you mean about this WOE. Years ago when I was much, much younger, I dropped like 30 pounds really fast with Atkins. Then I tried it again when I was in my 40s and my hormones totally whacked out! I'm not sure it was totally related to the diet to be honest. Now this 3rd time, I started with a very clean '72 version and while I did drop some initial weight in the beginning, then it just stopped. I kept trying to tweak it here and there to figure out what the problem was, and then I just gave up on LC and started trying to eat a balanced diet instead. Problem is if I'm not diligent about tracking exactly what I eat, and I often am not, then I get totally off track and screw that up!! That's about where I am now! So, this week I've been low carbing. I guess you could say that I cycle??

Quote:
Hi Mary! Thanks for asking. I am frustrated that I have been working at this for a month and am only down about 9 pounds. I did some low carb baking the third week and a half or so and I am sure that slowed me down, it kept me from feeling deprived however. I tend to be a bit impatient and that is part of the problem. I feel like I should see some progress every couple of days. I am hoping that this will provide that progress. The funny thing is I lost a bit here and there when I started the baking. I am going to start C.O. today. do you have any experience with it?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #1097

My problem is fruit. I love it and miss it. If it werent for that I could do low carb forever. I feel so much better on low carb than any other plan there is out there. Thats just me and I know everyone is different. I love coconut oil in my coffee. it is very tasty to me. One tsp only.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #1098
Senior LCF Member

when you girls buy coconut oil, is it the solid form or the liquid?
duece49424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #1099
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm the other way around Sheila - I feel better eating balanced than I do eating LC but I keep cycling with LC hoping for a better/faster loss on the scale. I think it's a delicate balance with protein for me, plus my body seems to really need the whole grains, veggies and fruit. Without that, I'm sluggish and don't feel well. But, what I don't need is the white stuff!!!

I see you're not far from me ... well, at least the tropics have been quiet, so far. And that is always a good thing!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #1100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL.... well.... I last ordered from Amazon the last batch and when it got to me it was definitely liquid. I live on the Gulf Coast, so it's pretty hot down here. Took it awhile to solidify again, but yeah, it's the solid type. I didn't even know that they made it where it would stay in a liquid state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
when you girls buy coconut oil, is it the solid form or the liquid?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #1101

yes, my hair dresser has this coconut oil in liquid state. She paid near 15 dollars for it. I dont know where she got it tho. She said she ordered it from someplace.

I only buy the solid kind. Mary, Hi there Mississippi girl!! Yes. Hoping the tropics stay quiet. I am about two hrs from Pensacola.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #1102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: meeha
Stats: 258/258/when it feels right
WOE: My Way
Start Date: 1/09/2014
I just received my 72' book from amazon yesterday in very good condition I might add. I read a little bit last night, I think I may go this route. I had success on the newer version but couldn't seem to move up the rungs so it's back to square one but this time with 72'.
meeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #1103
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: farley109
Stats: 174/165/145 5'5 39 yrs
WOE: all of the above...mainly 20 carbs or less per day
Start Date: October 4, 2004 And Again 1/8/06 and again 9/10/07
Quote:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] Hi!! I'm from Oklahoma too....Just thought I would invite you all over to the Atkins 72 week of 6/23/08 thread....

[/COLOR]
farley109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #1104
Senior LCF Member

I also bought the solid coconut oil. I started using it yesterday. A little in my tea and a little to saute some beef. Didn't care for it in the tea so much. I have a lc recipe for chocolate sauce that rocks and calls for C.O. I have used butter instead but will use the oil now. BTW I was finally down this a.m. 1.2 lbs to 188.8. Coconut oil make a difference? Don't know but with its health benefits I am continuing anyway.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #1105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeaaaa jleblanc! Congrats on that loss! I forgot to try the CO in my coffee again darn it.

The Team '72 thread is a great group of ladies. We are mostly about friendship and fun there, and sometimes we talk about our WOE lol..

I did notice that somebody just started a new '72 challenge too though. It's here if anybody wants to check it out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post10485999
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #1106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ColaConnie
Stats: 220/212/110
WOE: Atkins 72?
Start Date: not started yet
Hi everybody, I'm new and was hoping to get some information before I start Atkins 72. I'm gonna stock up this week from the grocery, and need to get all needed so I don't flub it up!

What do you all put on steaks, chicken, pork, etc while cooking, for flavor, that stays within allowable items?

I've got the Atkins 72 book coming soon from Amazon, along with multi-vitamins and Ketosticks.

Thank you for any help, you all seem so nice!
ColaConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #1107
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaConnie View Post
Hi everybody, I'm new and was hoping to get some information before I start Atkins 72. I'm gonna stock up this week from the grocery, and need to get all needed so I don't flub it up!

What do you all put on steaks, chicken, pork, etc while cooking, for flavor, that stays within allowable items?

I've got the Atkins 72 book coming soon from Amazon, along with multi-vitamins and Ketosticks.

Thank you for any help, you all seem so nice!
Hey there and good luck on your Atkins adventure!! I am a member of the Atkins 72 weekly thread if you want to join us!! Lots of supports over there!! But I used about any kind of spices that doesn't contain sugar. I also used some Italian dressing to marinate in. Just watch how many carbs your dressing has. Most of it cooks off in the cooking process. I used lemon pepper seasoning on my chicken and fish....
Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #1108
Senior LCF Member

Hi Farley109, I will check out that thread. I am from Shawnee, where are you from? BTW I guess that I just needed to be a little stricter because I am down another pound this morning. I am headed to the lake a long weekend so I am hoping for good loss while I am gone. How is everyone else doing?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #1109
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Hi Farley109, I will check out that thread. I am from Shawnee, where are you from? BTW I guess that I just needed to be a little stricter because I am down another pound this morning. I am headed to the lake a long weekend so I am hoping for good loss while I am gone. How is everyone else doing?
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hey..Your not far from me...I'm from Coalgate...but work in Atoka. We go threw Shawnee all the time heading to OKC....What lake do you go to??

I to was down 2.5lbs yesterday!!! I was having myself a pity party because my scales were up 1lb yesterday morning...Got home last night and the dang things were down 2.5lbs!!! Sooo thats 5.5lbs in 12 days!! O and I'm not exactly doing Atkins 72 right now..I'm doing a short STILLMANS to flush out all of my carbs from my month of BINGING!!! I fell off the 72 Wagon there for a while and gained about 10lbs back!!!
[/COLOR]

Mommy to....TyAnna 15....Katy....12...Trapper & Gunner...6 TWINS!!!!

Live life to the fullest....and keep em guessing!!!

REACHED GOAL....Fell off the wagon...gained 15lbs back!!! GRRRRRR
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #1110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: channon34
Start Date: July 7th, 2008
Atkins 72....

Thank you Taterhead...

I've been slogging along with this new Atkins and am not budging...

I was looking for my original 72 Atkins book and could not find.

I am going to go back to 72 and start over.

I do feel great, but its been three weeks and I haven't lost a thing.

I know I'm older now, and I've yo, yo'd far to much in my life time....
so my metabolizm is pretty messed up...but this is getting scary!

I just can't stay like this and if going back to 1972 is going to be what
it takes for me than so be it.....1972 was smake dab in the middle of the
best of times for me anyway.....

Thanks again,

Channon
channon34 is offline   Reply With Quote