Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #451
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redheadmama
Stats: 264.5/251.5/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 4, 2009
Glad to hear your on the road to recovery. It's hard to wait.

Just keep thinking about how fabulous you are going to look in a few weeks! Eyes on the prize! (no pun intented)

The first thing I would like to have done is a breast reduction and lift. I have needed that done since I was young, I am way to big busted, and after two kids and the weight gain...well lets just say things have gone south!

The other thing I know I will end up having done, and I'm not sure about the procedure...is my eyes. My family tends to get crepie eyelids...it might be a browlift, I'm not sure. At forty-three I can see it developing.

And lastly...if I have a lot of loose skin after I lose weight...I'm not living with it. Life is too short! I'll have it corrected.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." - Carol Burnett
redheadmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BellaHMB
Stats: 210/167/150 goal met 5.27.07
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 1-16-07
Welcome Michigan girl!

I have found NO difference in the way I lose IF I follow Atkins 72 to the letter. That means no faux foods (bars/shakes etc), and I do also watch
my fat intake. (some folks dont watch calories, but I have found that by focusing on lowcarb and keeping my fats to a moderate level, then I lose really, really well).

I first did Atkins 30 years ago (Im now 52) and lost exactly the same amount in the same amount of time! And this time I exercise which I think accounts for the difference in post-menopausal metabolism. (With the workouts it revs me up to my 22 year old levels!). When I have done it in between and used the faux foods I lost at 1/3-1/2 the rate. I was frustrated with a slower loss
but stayed essentially addicted to the sugar taste with faux foods, instead
of really getting off sugar which imho is the purpose of induction.

So welcome, and feel free to ask questions- we all do!

Bella
BellaHMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #453
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ixtapacheryl
Stats: 183/173/130 - 5'7.5"
WOE: '72 Atkins
Start Date: 8/4/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadmama View Post
Glad to hear your on the road to recovery. It's hard to wait.

Just keep thinking about how fabulous you are going to look in a few weeks! Eyes on the prize! (no pun intented)

The first thing I would like to have done is a breast reduction and lift. I have needed that done since I was young, I am way to big busted, and after two kids and the weight gain...well lets just say things have gone south!

The other thing I know I will end up having done, and I'm not sure about the procedure...is my eyes. My family tends to get crepie eyelids...it might be a browlift, I'm not sure. At forty-three I can see it developing.

And lastly...if I have a lot of loose skin after I lose weight...I'm not living with it. Life is too short! I'll have it corrected.
Breast reduction is really simple - and I had no pain whatsoever. I wish I had done it in my 20's but was afraid. Every gal that has had it done always says the same thing "why did I wait sooooo long?"

If you have to raise your eyebrows to put on mascara/eyeliner, etc. than it means you need a browlift. Do you have a lot of lines from lifting your eyes?

Now if you are talking about loose skin around the belly area - that is a tummy tuck and that is a little more involved. It will feel like you have overexercises and you will have discomfort. You are only 43 - so you are still young.

I am a firm believer that if there is a procedure that can correct something that is bothering you - why not go for it.....

This morning I was really careful while washing my hair so I wouldn't get any of that cholorinated water in my eyes. Well sure enough some got in and then the burning started again. I never realized we had that much cholorine in our water..... Maybe I'll wash my hair with well water so if it gets in my eyes it won't burn so much.

I did put eye make-up on my upper eyes and at least I look 1/2 human Gosh when you are so use to always wearing make-up, it's a real shock to run around looking so horrible.

"You will never find out what you can do until you do all you can to find
out!" - John Maxwell
ixtapacheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #454
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenjim2021
Hi all! My name is Jenni and I've been reading through the posts and think this may be the plan for me to try. I've been eating low carb since last Tuesday. I don't have a scale, but I do feel better - that's for sure. I ordered the 72 book online.

I plan on doing the induction phase for a few months at least. I want to lose quickly. I read throught the list, but thought I'd ask about these specific foods and your own experience with each:

Pepperoni?
Block cheese (like Kraft)?
Onions - is there a limit?
Mushrooms - is there a limit?
Should I avoid deli meats? I have salami, roast beef and turkey in the fridge now, but after reading through the posts, I'm thinking those aren't good for this stage.
Ekrich sauasge? Polska Kielbasa? 3-4 carbs per serving, so I'm thinking not.
Hot dogs?

I'm ok skipping these foods, but had already bought them before I found this site and read through the plan.

Also, what dressings out there are acceptable? I've actually never had vinegar and oil as a dressing. Don't laugh - how exactly do you make that?

This seems like a very supportive place and I can't wait to get started with all you gals!
jenjim2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #455
Lovely, Luscious, Luxurious Loungie Brat

Location: KENTUCKY, Heart is in Essex, England (No white heels, blue eyeshadow, or dancing around my bag)
Gallery: CosmicMuffin
WOE: South Beach
It says Eggs and Mayo no limit. So can I make up egg salad to have a snack when I feel like I need something to eat. I don't plan to cut out all cheese. I am stocked and ready to go. Wish me luck. I just wonder about the egg thing.
CosmicMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #456
allgirls

Gallery: allgirls
? for Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
I just finished reading this thread and find it very interesting!! Congrats to you on your weight loss. I am interested in trying your plan and had a couple of questions (hope you dont mind). Is their a limit on daily use of mayo and olive oil and butter? I want to make sure that I dont exceed the limit This is what Im planning on having tomorrow for lunch....... does it look ok to you:

1 c. lettuce w/ 2 slices of crumbled bacon, 1 oz. fresh parm cheese, some chicken and 3 T. of Newmans Ceaser dressing. Anything that I should omit?

I cant wait to start your plan tomorrow. I find it to be the perfect balance for me. ******* is too strick and Atkins sometimes gets me in trouble because "I" make stupid choices (like pepperoni, too much cheese & cream ect..)

Would it make a hugh difference in my weight loss if I used 1-2 T. light cream in my tea each morning? Then the rest of the day just protein, some fat and 2cups of lettuce with oil & red vinegar?
Thanks so much for any help............. Cant wait for tomorrow. Actually for dinner tonight im just making a roast with salad so I guess Im starting tonight
Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #457
Blabbermouth!!!

Your menu looks good to me. No I ate as much butter, olive oil, etc. as I wanted. You might want to check the salad dressing to make sure it doesn't have carbs. I would make sour cream/bleu cheese or just use Good Seasonings dressing.

Go easy on the cream for your coffee. Try cutting it in half for a few days and see if after those few days you can cut it out. I don't think it will harm you - but just make sure it doesn't make you hungry.

Are you using Hellman's mayo? The Miracle Whip has sugar....

Keep me posted my friend. How much weight do you want to lose?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #458

Location: KENTUCKY, Heart is in Essex, England (No white heels, blue eyeshadow, or dancing around my bag)
Cheryl~ How did you make your blue cheese sourcream dressing? Can you have sour cream after the first week?

Do you think egg mayo is ok to keep on hand should I get hungry? It is just chopped eggs with mayo, salt, chives, and bit of onion powder?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #459
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone;

Did everyone have a good weekend? I feel...I don't know unsettled. If that makes any sense. I have had terrible cravings. I have been good staying to the diet, or at least I thought I was...but the scale has not budged. What do you think? Here is what I ate:

Friday:
Breakfast:2 eggs cooked in coconut oil
3 strips bacon
2 cups coffee with 2 tsp cream and sweetner each (one had 1 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil)

Lunch:2 slices ham with old cheddar rolled up
water

Dinner:6 chicken wings with only seasoning(no sauce) but we were out for dinner so I don't know if the seasoning had sugar!
1 cup salad with ranch dressing
Diet pepsi

Saturday
Breakfast:2 egg cheese Omelet with cheddar and mozzarella
2 cups coffee with 2 tsp cream and sweetner each (one had 1 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil)

Snack: 3 small pieces of smoked sausage and 3 small pieces of old cheddar.
(From a cheese plate) Diet pepsi

Dinner: Boneless Chicken Breast with lemon pepper seasoning
1 cup salad with 1 tablespoon ranch dressing

after dinner:diet rootbeer (I was craving sugar so much...wanting something sweet that I was miserable to be around and I ended up going to bed!)

Sunday:
Breakfast: none slept in
Lunch: chef salad (ham and chicken and hard boiled egg on lettuce with a little red onion and tomato and cucumber with ranch dressing) I didn't eat all the lettuce tried to keep it to a cup and tried to pick out the red onion and tomato, since it isn't on the salad list. This was at a restaurant...I was so disappointed because we had gone for breakfast...eggs and sausage or bacon, an easy meal to eat out. But by the time we got there breakfast had ended and I had to order lunch!

Dinner: BBQ steak with steak seasoning
1 cup salad with celery and cucumber and blue cheese dressing(under a carb)
SF jello
Snack: diet root beer and my Coconut oil (1 1/2 Tablespoon)
I know I need to try to drink a lot more water, most day maybe three bottles, usually I have to force myself to eat...not hungry at all. The sticks still say I'm in ketosis but the scale hasn't moved and I have cravings! What do you think? Thanks.(Sorry about the long post!)
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jayne,

From here your menu looks good. The only suggestions I have is that you might want to reduce your cream in your coffee to one tsp per cup, and also limit your cheese each day. Also, if you have cravings you might be eating some sugar that you arent aware of. What I do is eat only food that I cook and know exactly what is in it! I also avoid processed meats like sausage.
I do like chicken tenders that you buy and then cook at home with a little garlic

How long have you been on this current plan? It sometimes take a few days for your body to start letting go of pounds! But I do think your cravings are from sugar somehow- are you using ******?

Its rainy here in nortern CA this morning. But thats ok cause I lost
another pound! Down 3 this week for -37 total in 10 weeks. Tada!

Bella
Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #461
Junior LCF Member

Wow Bella, another pound...awesome! You've really figured out what works for you. You are going to be at your goal before you know it!

I started Atkins on Feb 21 and lost 16 pounds when I decide on Mar 22 that I would try the Atkins 72, because I felt like I wasn't losing as fast as I did the first time I lost weight about 5 years ago. I had a lot of weeks were I lost like one pound. This doesn't look so bad seeing it in print...but I have a lot to lose, and in the past I have been able to lose it quicker. I think I was using to many of the new "franken foods" as Cheryl calls them. The last time I lost a lot of weight I kept it really simple...protein for breakfast, protein and salad for lunch and protein and salad for dinner with a little sf jello mixed in. So I know what I need to do...

I know what you mean about fixing your own food, I do like to go out...but you never really know what you are eating and most of the portions are too big when you eat out. It was a fluke us eating two meals out in one weekend, that should be it for us for a while.

The next stumbling block for me is going to be over the Easter break...we are going to CHarleston S.C. in our trailer with our kids. Most of the meals I will be making at our trailer, but we likely will be eating at least two meal out. I really am looking forward to the trip...but I really would like to get under 200 pounds. I am planning on taking lots of easy foods, like hard boiled eggs and cold chicken and salad. Any ideas would be appreciated.

One more question for you, do you include flax in your meals? It is so healthy and adds fiber but it does have carbs. Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #462
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMuffin View Post
Cheryl~ How did you make your blue cheese sourcream dressing? Can you have sour cream after the first week?

Do you think egg mayo is ok to keep on hand should I get hungry? It is just chopped eggs with mayo, salt, chives, and bit of onion powder?
I just take a block of Treasure Cave Bleu Cheese and mix it into 16 oz. of sour cream with a fork and then refrigerate. It really is good. I ate sour cream the first week - and would maybe have about 2T of the dressing on a small salad.

What kind of mayo are you using - Hellman's? That's fine - but watch the Miracle Whip - that has sugar. Onion powder - and also dried onion flakes are good to put in with the eggs.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Redheadedmamma: Just try to shop the perimeter of the grocery store - not only will you be eating natural foods - but your grocery bill will be less.....

How about some chicken salad or ham salad on your trip to just put a few T on a bed of lettuce? I also take genoa salami sliced real real thin and wrap a piece around some Fontinella cheese - OMG delicious! Salty - but good!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #464
Blabbermouth!!!

Bella: Congrats on the additional 3# loss - you rock my friend. I am so proud of you ....
Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do include a sprinkling of flax but also take one MoM at night to keep regular. I expect I wont need that much longer though as Im adding in more fiber.

Bella
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #466

Thanks Cheryl for all your help. I can't wait to tell you all how much I am losing as I have a load to loose.
I only eat Hellmans. SO no worries. I have never like Miracle whip. I go easy on the onion granuals.

Since I am in the UK we have some great Blue cheese here. I like it the best so I will try that for a dressing or to dip chicken in.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #467
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMuffin View Post
Thanks Cheryl for all your help. I can't wait to tell you all how much I am losing as I have a load to loose.
I only eat Hellmans. SO no worries. I have never like Miracle whip. I go easy on the onion granuals.

Since I am in the UK we have some great Blue cheese here. I like it the best so I will try that for a dressing or to dip chicken in.
My brother and his family live in Lakenheath or should I say works there. They bought a old refurbished pub on the water that was made into a home. He will be retiring in two years and will be moving back to the states. He doesn't much like England's weather though

Also you can sprinkle bleu cheese on hamburgers and let it melt. I also put the bleu cheese inside the hamburger meat when assembling. In fact I made a meatloaf yesterday and did just that.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #468

Thanks for the tip.
I am near London. But I am from Kentucky and I will be moving home this year. I have had a pretty good adventure but it is time to come home.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueJeanz
Stats: 300/273/150
WOE: Wheat Belly
Start Date: October 4, 2012
OMgosh you all are so inspiring! I love reading the posts here! Cheryl your personal story has fascinated me for a while as I lurked and I'm so happy that you're doing well! And Bella, what can I say, you are doing great! And I think you've finally convinced me to give ****** another try (kept track there years ago when I was on Atkins). I think I'm also one who needs to watch calories, especially from too much fat.

I am fairly new here, it's only been a week (4 pounds ago!) and Atkin's 72 seems to be a good fit for me. I tried CAD but didn't do so well with that. I have done Atkins a few other times in my life (I'm 57) with success, and I'm sure this time will be no different.

Welcome CosmicMuffin, Michigangirl, Jayne, Jenny, and allgirls. We can do this! I'm so happy to see I'm not the only newbie! Your questions are also helping me! Thanks for asking them! I have the book, and also the recipe book, but sometimes it helps me more to hear personal experiences and see/read all the success stories!
BlueJeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #470
Blabbermouth!!!

Bluejeanz:

It's always nice to see a newbie on their way to a new life. Congrats on your weightloss so far!

Gosh 57 - you are just a pup. I will be 62 this May. I still can't believe it because I don't feel that old.

Any questions - just holler. We are all here for you. Everyone is so great on this thread. I love all of participants.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, ****** is really great. I can plan my meals around it. For example if I want a hamburger patty for dinner and I know its alot of calories, I have fish or chicken for lunch and stick to a salad with 2 ounces protein. I also weigh my protein, you might consider that as well. Keeps me honest!!

Bella
Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #472
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teescomp
Stats: Goal is 150
I would like to original cheese cake receipe from that addition of the Atkins book. Could anyone give it to me? Thanks tanya
teescomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #473

I do have a scale. But at first do you need to worry about weight and calories? Should I weight until I am closer to goal?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #474
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
hi All
weigh in for me today. Up 1.2 since last week.
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #475
Junior LCF Member

Hi everybody!

Well...I don't know what stalled me this weekend - learned a lesson about eating out...that you can never tell what is in the food. Even when you would think it was legal to eat. But this small stall is over and I have lost another pound. (thank goodness) Hopefully more will come off quickly this week.
Thank you Cheryl for your ideas about chicken salad and ham salad...I think I will do something like that...then if I need something quick to keep me on program it will be ready. Also I love your idea about the genoa salami and fontinella cheese, sometimes I crave something salty and that would be perfect.

Bella I went to ****** and registered but I found it was really slow...I live in the sticks and only have dial up internet. It frustrated me, all the waiting. If you find it really helps maybe I will give it another shot.

Welcome and Hi to all the newbies like me...hi to CosmicMuffin, Michigangirl, Jenny, allgirls and Bluejeanz. I love the spirit of this thread!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Jayne, I bought the computer version for $20 and I am very glad I did. I understand it is more comprehensive than the online one, and then you dont have the download problem. I use it everyday, and then I can plan my meals and calories. (I keep them under 1000, that's my self imposed upper limit- ****** will help you decide that if you use their goal weight planner which allows you to choose a date and goal weight). Anyway, I recommend it.

Cosmic, I weigh my food because then I can really keep track of it accurately. I didnt start out doing that, added it in after a couple weeks.
Last night, for example, I was making myself a hamburger patty and when I checked it, it was 5 ounces instead of 3! So that's 120 calories more than I thought, and without the scale, I wouldnt have known.

Dr. A doesnt tell us to weigh food and count calories, in fact he says you dont have to. I do it to achieve my maximum rate of loss so I dont become frustrated! It's worth it to me.

Cheryl, you are an inspiration and mentor to us all!

And welcome everyone new

Big Hugs!
Bella
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #477

well I am down a pound and half today. That makes me feel good. As long as it keeps going down. I will be happy.

I have will start weighing. I do use measuring cups.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #478
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
CosmicMuffin, I lost my weight on Atkins '72 and egg salad was a lifesaver for me. I kept some made up in the refridge all the time and when I was hungry I would just eat a spoonful or so. Sometimes I served it for a salad on a bed of lettuce. I think it's a wonderful part of Atkins.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #479
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenjim2021
Hi all, just wanted to check in. I don't have a reliable scale, but I do feel much much better. The last month or so before I started this I was just gorging myself on snacks, carbs, anything and everything bad. I feel soooo less bloated. I'm going to continue on this plan for another week or so. My mom lost a lot of weight a less than 25 carb diet and I might incorporate that soon just to offer variety and vitamins and minerals from veggies. But we'll see.
My problem right now is that I don't want to eat much at all because it all sounds so unappetizing. But... I've obviously had PLENTY of appetizing foods in the past years to put me in this place, so I just have to stay strong and stick with it.
jenjim2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:00 AM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WatchYourElbows
Stats: 194 / 181 / 125
Start Date: 3/24/07
I'm new to the Low Carb Lifestyle, so forgive me if this seems like a silly question....but what is the difference between this way (72) and the regular way? They seem the same to me. Whichever one works the fastest is the one I want to do though!
WatchYourElbows is offline   Reply With Quote