LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindysandia
Stats: 237 goal 125...size 16
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 09/18/2014
Tired of Smoking

I am so tired of smoking. I smoke and eat out of stress but it doesn't help. I still feel the same and worse soon after. The one that really worries me is the smoking. I binge smoke and my body is getting tired. I know I need to stop. I need all the help and support from those around me and then some. I smoked my last cigarette at 12pm. I know its going to be hell, going through the withdrawal and emotional attachment of cigarettes. I'm ready for it. I want to hold myself accountable. I will track my progress and use this site as kind of a journal for myself and others that may be going through the same thing. We can do this! I can do this!

Cynthia
200...Ill get a manicure and pedicure and go shopping
185...Ill get that expensive handbag I always wanted. I don't care what my husband says..
170...I want a cute sexy black dress...Shopping!
155....I want to go on a trip out of town
140....Maybe this yr I can wear a bathing suit and feel good in my body
GOAL WEIGHT 125...Enjoy my health and PARTY likes it my BDAY
cindysandia is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
sending you strength to kick the habit

Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ill need it the next few hours, days, and weeks ahead....
Old 07-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Well I was smoke free for about 6 hours....this is the hardest thing ive ever had to do....its been an on going battle for quite some time....im not giving up..
cynthia
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I quit and it was the hardest thing I ever did but the BEST thing I have ever done. Just remember the longer you go without a cigarette the easier it will get to the point you even forget about it. You can do this. Think of all the money you will save and perhaps put that aside to buy yourself something. I wish you all the very best!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much but may I ask how you quit....
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
Get Allen carrs book, the easy way to quit smoking
It changed my life and millions of others
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Hi cindysandia, I have some experience with quitting smoking...because I did it several times! But I just passed my 15 year mark and I wanted to share some tips with you.

1. Don't go it alone. Find an online support group or a real-life one. AS3-web was my lifeline.

2. Better living through chemistry. Use Chantix. Or the patches. Yes they're expensive but not as expensive as cigarettes over the years, not to mention your health--COPD. Emphysema. Cancer. Wrinkles. Stinking. Being out of breath. All that and more--you KNOW it's bad, own that.

3. Get rid of all your ashtrays and lighters and anything else that might trigger an urge to smoke, like talking on the phone. Go for a walk after dinner. Smell the fresh air.

4. The strength of your addiction is only an indicator of how hard you have to fight to beat it. The urge will pass whether you smoke or not. Ride it out. Each time it is a little bit easier. An hour at a time will turn into a day at a time. Eventually it will go away.

5. Sounds overly simple, but don't smoke; not even one. You are only turning down your next ONE cigarette, please remember that. I turned down the same cigarette over and over until I finally won.

6. Grip the rails and be stronger than your addiction. Scream into your pillow if you have to. This is real, honest addiction and it requires real, honest work to get beyond it. Show it who's boss!!

Now. You know this, but you will be so much happier and healthier (and you will have a lot more money) if you can quit nicotine. Don't worry about any weight gain, that will turn into an excuse to smoke (trust me on this one). Your body burns more calories trying to heal from the bad effects of smoke, and that's why you gain weight when you quit, you're healing! Don't even think about it. Take a break from dieting and deal with this. It's the best thing you will ever do, and you know it, don't you. You NEED to quit smoking. For your health. For your life.

It's not easy, but millions have done it, and you can too. Walk the walk with us. I will be sending you positive vibes tonight. Don't smoke.

Love,
Rian

Last edited by RyeBaby; 07-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: I forgot to add: Get a hobby. Anything to keep your hands busy.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Here is a link to a little app where you can keep track of how long you've gone without smoking. See if you can get 24 hours under your belt. I bet you can.

Quit Meter - Stop smoking; tools, support and chat
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Cindysandia,
you can do this!!!! Good tips have all ready been given, but there is a simple trick that may help you. Put a rubber band around your wrist, when you have the urge to smoke, give yourself a little snap of the rubberband on your wrist. Don't go carazy and leave lasting welts, just alittle snap. Your brain will start to associate that twinge of pain with that urge.

Dr. Phil, not that I am a fan or anything, but he stated that it takes two weeks to change a habit. Try the rubberband for at least two weeks. Also it may help to get a glass of water or do something to distract yourself.

HTH
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your encouraging words and tips. To tell you the truth I hadn't quit but for about a day...then yesterday I saw a public service announcement on kicking the habit and a man was sharing his story on how he has to live his life with a hole in his neck because of throat cancer. I felt it was the wake up call I needed. I hadn't come on here. I was going to ask plead and beg for tips and suggestions on how to quit and then I came across your advice....thank you...
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 22catsup
Read Allan Carr "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". It helped me (25+ year smoker who had quit many times) and many of my friends. You can smoke while you're reading it, then in most cases you never want to smoke again. I've not smoked in 10 years.
With due respect to previous posters, do not use props such as gum or patches--they just keep you at a low level of nicotine that makes you crave more. The whole idea is to rid yourself of the nicotine completely and it only takes a week or so. Really! It also is not torture. Drink lots of water and wait it out, and disregard all those who say it's harder than quitting heroin. It's not. You just need to know how nicotine works in your system.
Read the book! (And no, I don't work for the company!)
22catsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

thank you...ill get the book...
Cynthia
Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Loosinslow
Stats: 199/165.5/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 2/4/2013
I smoked for 35 years and tried numerous times. Chantix did it for me. Will be 5 years in November for me!
Loosinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations on 5 years! Feels great, doesn't it! Sometimes when you try and try and can't do it on your own, things like patches and Chantix (there are others as well) can make the difference between success and failure. Thanks for weighing in.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
The nicotine gum worked for me. That way I controlled the nicotine and it helped with the oral fixation.

My husband developed throat cancer and had a recurrence which led to a laryngectomee (he is doing great now btw). During his initial treatment with chemo and radiation, the stress was just too much for me. He nearly died from the chemo and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. I chained smoked during the whole hospital/treatment period. You would think I wouldn't go near a cigarette, considering the circumstances, but that's not how addiction works. Or at least not for me.

I knew this time when I quit, it would be for good. Not like all the other times when I convinced myself I could be a social smoker. With my husband's illness, he retired and we moved across the country to be near our daughter and young grandchildren. I decided that the day we flew out would be my first day of not smoking.

This month it will be three years smoke free. The move was stressful and my husband's cancer came back 5 mos later. Smoking was not an option. Not one more cigarette ever. I can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever done for myself. Yes, I gained weight, but that wasn't my concern. I allowed myself to not worry about weight during this time. I knew I could deal with that later. And I have. I have lost the 30 lbs I gained in the first 2 yrs. and an additional 10 more. I would like to lose 20 more and will at goal.

I hope you are doing well. Don't beat yourself up if you have to keep trying. You need to love yourself now more than ever. I'm rooting for you.

I didn't mean to ramble on with my story. Wishing you great success. You deserve this and can do this.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

"Not one more cigarette ever" is pretty much what it all boils down to, isn't it. Congratulations on being smoke-free 3 years. I put on weight too, but not-smoking was WAY more important.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks RyeBaby. Yep not smoking is waaaaay better. Congrats to you too. I sure wish I could have done it earlier, but as the saying goes......better late than never.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I just realized that little emoticon is thumbs up. All this time I thought it was a guy with knife and fork ready to eat! LOL! I need stronger glasses!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBaby View Post
I just realized that little emoticon is thumbs up. All this time I thought it was a guy with knife and fork ready to eat! LOL! I need stronger glasses!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
This one always looks to be like a baby sucking on a pacifier.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im.../pray_2011.gif

well, looking again the baby does have mighty big ears.

Last edited by Patience; 08-18-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

LOL...yes it does.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I Know that I have posted in a few days....but I am so overwhelmingly happy to report im on my 4th day smoke free...I did it cold turkey....omg....it is so hard but im determined...I do think about it constantly...but I also think about how crappy I felt...I feel soo much better...thank you all for the support...it helps...
Cynthia
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I decided not to try nicotine patches etc...cuz I know myself...it wouldn't cut it I WOULD go back to smoking with those...I just needed to cleanse my body of the nicotine addiction....
Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Yay you. Do whatever works for you. It gets easier, hang in there. You are worth it.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Whatever works! CONGRATULATIONS! KUTGW!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I feel good today...not so anxious...I noticed im eating more...but that's expected I guess...ill tackle that problem later...any advice when????
Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Today is my 8 th day not smoking and I feel pretty good....I know that im not out of the woods....I still need to fight the emotional attachment I have to smoking...all I can do is take it one day at a time....
Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindysandia View Post
Today is my 8 th day not smoking and I feel pretty good....I know that im not out of the woods....I still need to fight the emotional attachment I have to smoking...all I can do is take it one day at a time....
KUTGW Just take it one day at a time. You are doing great.