Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: threeukuleles
WOE: Low Carb, no products, whole foods only.
Start Date: July 2014
Returning to LC after long time EDNOS;bulimia relapse

I was on LC at one point, and ended up relapsing in long time EDNOS (which is a blurry mix of anorexia and bulimia) over a decade ago. A couple years ago I tried treatment and didn't like it. They used the old school "food guide" and included SOME "junk food" but a lot of my trigger foods, including foods I often used as "purge foods", on a daily basis hoping that my lack of purging would get my body used to so-called "normal eating". It didn't work.

I got worse and worse after I was discharged. I have memories of the time when I ate LC for a period of a few months and how good it felt. It was such an easy WOE, as it self-regulated, and I had, for the first time in my life, neither the urge to restrict, binge, or purge. So I have started again, this time building my OWN menu, because I know my body.

I'm starting off pretty high fat to get the satiety to a sane level with a low volume of food. At the moment it seems to be working, I've so far been two meals purge free. And for ME that is a success!!
threeukuleles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeukuleles View Post
I was on LC at one point, and ended up relapsing in long time EDNOS (which is a blurry mix of anorexia and bulimia) over a decade ago. A couple years ago I tried treatment and didn't like it. They used the old school "food guide" and included SOME "junk food" but a lot of my trigger foods, including foods I often used as "purge foods", on a daily basis hoping that my lack of purging would get my body used to so-called "normal eating". It didn't work.

I got worse and worse after I was discharged. I have memories of the time when I ate LC for a period of a few months and how good it felt. It was such an easy WOE, as it self-regulated, and I had, for the first time in my life, neither the urge to restrict, binge, or purge. So I have started again, this time building my OWN menu, because I know my body.

I'm starting off pretty high fat to get the satiety to a sane level with a low volume of food. At the moment it seems to be working, I've so far been two meals purge free. And for ME that is a success!!
Welcome back! Good luck.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Pop in and tell us how you are doing, 3ukes.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: threeukuleles
WOE: Low Carb, no products, whole foods only.
Start Date: July 2014
I am currently on my fourth day of being binge/purge free. Happy with what I am eating and feeling emotionally better, too!
threeukuleles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeukuleles View Post
I am currently on my fourth day of being binge/purge free. Happy with what I am eating and feeling emotionally better, too!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pepperanne
I am a recovering bulimic. A book that really helped me is called "Brain Over Binge". There's a lot that you can do with nutrition and psychotherapy to help with EDs, but eliminating the urges to binge is the keystone. I utilize a combo of eastern philosophy and dialectical behavioral therapy (similar techniques that she describes in the book). It takes work and it takes time, but I am trudging along. I have relapsed over the past 2 years, but I stopped feeling bad/guilty about it. I just dust myself off and start over again.

I hope you stick around for awhile, it would be great to swap stories/advice with someone else that's going through the same challenges.
pepperanne is offline   Reply With Quote