Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Addiction Support (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/addiction-support/)
-   -   Returning to LC after long time EDNOS;bulimia relapse (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/addiction-support/835273-returning-lc-after-long-time-ednos-bulimia-relapse.html)

threeukuleles 07-15-2014 04:54 PM

Returning to LC after long time EDNOS;bulimia relapse

I was on LC at one point, and ended up relapsing in long time EDNOS (which is a blurry mix of anorexia and bulimia) over a decade ago. A couple years ago I tried treatment and didn't like it. They used the old school "food guide" and included SOME "junk food" but a lot of my trigger foods, including foods I often used as "purge foods", on a daily basis hoping that my lack of purging would get my body used to so-called "normal eating". It didn't work.

I got worse and worse after I was discharged. I have memories of the time when I ate LC for a period of a few months and how good it felt. It was such an easy WOE, as it self-regulated, and I had, for the first time in my life, neither the urge to restrict, binge, or purge. So I have started again, this time building my OWN menu, because I know my body.

I'm starting off pretty high fat to get the satiety to a sane level with a low volume of food. At the moment it seems to be working, I've so far been two meals purge free. And for ME that is a success!!

GME 07-15-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeukuleles (Post 16974816)
I was on LC at one point, and ended up relapsing in long time EDNOS (which is a blurry mix of anorexia and bulimia) over a decade ago. A couple years ago I tried treatment and didn't like it. They used the old school "food guide" and included SOME "junk food" but a lot of my trigger foods, including foods I often used as "purge foods", on a daily basis hoping that my lack of purging would get my body used to so-called "normal eating". It didn't work.

I got worse and worse after I was discharged. I have memories of the time when I ate LC for a period of a few months and how good it felt. It was such an easy WOE, as it self-regulated, and I had, for the first time in my life, neither the urge to restrict, binge, or purge. So I have started again, this time building my OWN menu, because I know my body.

I'm starting off pretty high fat to get the satiety to a sane level with a low volume of food. At the moment it seems to be working, I've so far been two meals purge free. And for ME that is a success!!

Welcome back! Good luck. :clap:

Patience 07-17-2014 07:19 AM

Pop in and tell us how you are doing, 3ukes.

threeukuleles 07-19-2014 10:47 AM

I am currently on my fourth day of being binge/purge free. Happy with what I am eating and feeling emotionally better, too!

Patience 07-20-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeukuleles (Post 16978830)
I am currently on my fourth day of being binge/purge free. Happy with what I am eating and feeling emotionally better, too!

:up:

pepperanne 07-21-2014 11:08 AM

I am a recovering bulimic. A book that really helped me is called "Brain Over Binge". There's a lot that you can do with nutrition and psychotherapy to help with EDs, but eliminating the urges to binge is the keystone. I utilize a combo of eastern philosophy and dialectical behavioral therapy (similar techniques that she describes in the book). It takes work and it takes time, but I am trudging along. I have relapsed over the past 2 years, but I stopped feeling bad/guilty about it. I just dust myself off and start over again.

I hope you stick around for awhile, it would be great to swap stories/advice with someone else that's going through the same challenges.