Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbCarrie
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2011
I Couldn't Stop Eating...

Hey friends, just wanted to share a brief part of my history. I wish someone would've exposed me to this years ago, so maybe I can help someone out by exposing it myself.

I happened upon the low carb scene after watching "Fat Head" on Netflix. From there I discovered Sugar Free Sheila's site, and after reading through her FAQ, then reading through Atkins, I was entirely hooked.

I started induction and was so excited to get on it! After a few days however, I gave in to my cravings and consumed ridiculous portions of carb-rich foods. I'd restart the next day and the cycle would run over and over, no matter how strong my resolve was to stick to it. Every time I took a bite of the forbidden food, it started a binge, and I felt entirely out of control.

This has been the course of my life since childhood- I'd eat all sorts of food, especially alone, until I was sick. I never threw up, nor did I try to exercise it all away- I just ate a lot. My mother was a dietician, so she taught me how to eat in a healthy manner, and I did when I wasn't bingeing. I wasn't overweight, but only because I was eating such a lean diet for so long.

Finally last July after bingeing yet again, I tried out the world's most strict 12-step program in existence. I was there for about six months and gained a world of insight. But it wasn't for me, so I didn't stay.

Since leaving, I've managed to stay binge-free with accountability, community and through nourishing my spirit. I've had two binges in twelve months, whereas I often had 3 to 4 binges a week before. And last month I learned that the DSM added "Binge Eating Disorder" to it's collection of eating disorders, separate from Anorexia or Bulimia.

I struggled with a Binge Eating Disorder, and I didn't even know it. I lost control around food all the time, and I thought it was because I lacked the willpower to stand to my resolve. That wasn't it at all-- it was a mental illness that I needed help overcoming.

So now, here I am almost twelve months later, and I'm right back to lowcarbing again. I love this way of eating, and I love this group of people. I know there are others out there who struggle with the same thing as me, and I just want you to know that if you can relate to my story, there is absolutely hope out there! You CAN get better!

Thanks for letting me share friends
LowCarbCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Congratulations to you for beating the "monster." It's hard to be low-carb perfect all the time, but we do our best. Best wishes to you.

Ry
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
You know I used to binge eat all the time too and still struggle with it. I often thought it this a mental illness. I would say to myself...why oh why do I keep on doing this. I realized though that is was my blood sugar that was on a roller coaster...not my mind. If I had just the littlest bit of something it would set off a binge. I finally realized that I have to stay LC and cannot have just one. I test my blood sugar now and never eat anything that will spike it because it will set off a binge. It is still very hard for me though. It could be a combination of mental and physical is actually what I am trying to say. Thanks for sharing your post because I could identify with what you were saying.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
sarah, I agree with you about it being a combination of mental and physical.
Lots of discussion on this forum about this, whether is is more one or the other. My view is that is both, as my minds and body are all part of a whole that is me. It's complex.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbCarrie View Post

So now, here I am almost twelve months later, and I'm right back to lowcarbing again. I love this way of eating, and I love this group of people. I know there are others out there who struggle with the same thing as me, and I just want you to know that if you can relate to my story, there is absolutely hope out there! You CAN get better!

Thanks for letting me share friends
...THANK YOU!
I used to struggle with night eating...ie. wake up in the middle of the night and eat with abandon!!!!

Recently heard of a book Brain Over Binge....listened to the interview of her by Alan S. on podcast 'Progress not Perfection' ...(used to be called Quit Binge Eating)....I haven't bought the book yet, but her use of AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique) sounds interesting.

Thinking of those urges/thoughts as "neurological junk" gives me another tool in my maintenance box for success.

Validation that I can change...that I can quiet the monster in my head...without paying for psychotherapy!

Low Carb is the MAIN TOOL that I will not give up
Checking my blood glucose is a tool that lets me know if a food needs to be eliminated from my choices list
Low Carb Friends ....the lifelong friend that I need...24/7
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
sarah, I agree with you about it being a combination of mental and physical.
Lots of discussion on this forum about this, whether is is more one or the other. My view is that is both, as my minds and body are all part of a whole that is me. It's complex.
I actually only have one mind -- although the phrase "changing my mind" makes me think a spare could be useful.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post

-- although the phrase "changing my mind" makes me think a spare could be useful.
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hollie27
Stats: 284/207/150
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1999/2012
Thanks for sharing Carrie. I'm in the thick of it right now I feel very hopeless. I have been doing low carb on and off since I was 14 and now I am 28. My weight is at an all time high and I have managed to gain 80+ pounds in about a year. I am fine all day, food doesn't matter. But at night I feel disconnected from my body and I start eating. It's just been a nightmare. I too was a binge eater as a child but wasn't severely overweight until the last few years. I have no idea how to curb this behavior I feel like I have tried everything.
hollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
really interesting thread. I used to hide foods I loved as a kid. Laughed about it for years, but I can GORGE on carby foods once I take one bite. it's a scary and hard thing to overcome...

Good Luck to you !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie27 View Post
Thanks for sharing Carrie. I'm in the thick of it right now I feel very hopeless. I have been doing low carb on and off since I was 14 and now I am 28. My weight is at an all time high and I have managed to gain 80+ pounds in about a year. I am fine all day, food doesn't matter. But at night I feel disconnected from my body and I start eating. It's just been a nightmare. I too was a binge eater as a child but wasn't severely overweight until the last few years. I have no idea how to curb this behavior I feel like I have tried everything.
I am really sad to hear you saying "hopeless."
You say you have been doing low car off and on. Are you currently low-carbing? Has it worked for you in the past? Are you able to stay on it rather than off? What is your longest stretch on? Can you limit overeating to only low carb choices? Do you keep your home free of binging options?

My issues are more about drinking than food but there are similarities.

Over-eaters anonymous works for some folks. Tracking every bit of food can help too.

I am just trying to get a feel for what works and doesn't for you. We can support you in lifting yourself into a more hopeful place.

Last edited by Patience; 07-25-2014 at 05:26 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 04:53 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stevem14
Stats: 374/361/250
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 7-3-14
Not just a binger...

Hi all...
First post here...

I am finding myself sicker and sicker now that I turned 50...

For the last 30 or so years I have not seen a doctor for anything other than an injury. Now I seem to be sick of just about everything. Pre-diabetic, pre-hypertensive, etc... About ten years ago I tried the low carb diet for about 6 months and lost almost 80lbs and felt great, I actuall think I had too much energy. I over tasked myself to the point that the stress almost gave me a nervous breakdown... Two jobs, 26 credit hours in college, soccer dad, etc...
Anyway, I stopped the diet because I needed to relieve the stress before it hurt. About five years later I had only gained back about 10lbs and no other issues, but I hurt my left heel somehow and it took 5 different doctors and finally surgery in 2012 to fix it so I could walk normally. During that time I gained back almost 100lbs just from the lack of activity.

Now I need to loose all of this weight and I started the LCHF diet 7-4-14 at 374.6 lbs. The problem I am having is that it seems I am always craving more food, especially those with high carbs. I can really binge eat, and have been known to do it in the past, but I did it only infrequently so it didn't actually affect my weight. Now, though, I seem to be on the verge of a serious binge daily! Even when I know I have had enough to eat, and I don't really feel hungry, I still crave more food! I am having a hard time controlling this and I don't exactly know of a way to get past it...

Any ideas?
I know if I DO give in, it will be one serious binge...

Thanx...
Stevem14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem14 View Post
Hi all...

The problem I am having is that it seems I am always craving more food, especially those with high carbs. I can really binge eat, and have been known to do it in the past, but I did it only infrequently so it didn't actually affect my weight.

First of all...NEVER GIVE UP!
So many of us have re-started a ba-zillion times!
Each of us has a different path; figuring out what works for your specific body IS part of the solution.
The tricky part is that as we age, we change and then we have to change what we are doing to keep on track!
1)Knowing that there are foods that trigger/compel us to eat more, doesn't seem fair...but it is true! ie. wheat, processed/fast food, sugar, etc.(so figuring out trigger foods and then avoiding them is key)
2)Don't be afraid of fat with protein...but if you do a lot of fat with high carb, you are in for a weight gain for sure
3)Well meaning friends/family who say, "You can have just a little bit!" should be a RED FLAG...tell them, "I know, but maybe later!" (later=NO)
4)Did I say Don't be afraid of fat?
5)Get out of the house...walk-get some sunshine/fresh air...take a bottle of water with you...or 2 bottles.
6)Did I remember to say Don't be afraid of fat...it keeps us satisfied longer!
7)Keep reading, listening to Low Carb Leaders Podcasts, immersing yourself in your chosen food plan...use what works for you, leave the rest. A book that helped me know that the food world doesn't care about your nutrition, it just wants you to buy more/spend more money...and they hire science-people to make their foods more addictive..."The End of Overeating" by Kessler.
8)Think of the food that you choose as fuel....like gas for your car....you need to only put the best fuel nutrition in your bodies tank! Did I mention Fat with your protein?...and lots of green leafy veggies?
9)Be kind to yourself...use NON-food rewards...choose NON-food fun things to take the place of previous 'food fun'...
10)Explore new foods that you haven't tried before...that would be in the fresh vegetable department...

...It isn't about 'giving up your bread/sugar'....it IS about finding the foods that satisfy and nourish your body so that it will serve you well...and make your body a smooth running machine!

It is always changing!!! Keep after it!!!
Never, Never, Never give up...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

The only thing I can think to add to GAlveston's list, is to keep only acceptable low carb food on hand and when faced with the urge to binge, if you are about to cave, overeat only what is acceptable. Eggs. Bacon. Low carb veggies. Butter or coconut oil. I am right in assuming that your binges are typically about higher carb stuff?

And come to LCF and post if you are about to binge and need some support. A distraction can work wonders and you will receive support.
Perhaps on one of the main threads, as this one is not so busy right now.

Last edited by Patience; 07-26-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: abbynormal
WOE: WW
Start Date: obviously not today
What do you suggest for a 12 y/o who binges? We're pretty diligent about keeping healthy food around the house, but our 12 y/o will sneak food into the house. If she can't get her hands on it from outside sources she'll binge on whatever is available.

Short of bringing one meal at a time worth of food into the house, what can we do? Both DH and I have had lifelong struggles with weight but we work hard at modeling better choices, moderation, and portion control. At 12 she's going into 7th grade, about 4'9" and wearing an adult 16/18.

Are you aware of any good programs for kids this age?
The opportunity of a lifetime must be seized in the lifetime of that opportunity. ~P.Wilson
We can fear or we can care. ~ Susan M. Grant

Last edited by abbynormal; 07-26-2014 at 07:29 PM..
abbynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iluvbacon
Stats: 272/210/150
WOE: Low Carb my way
This link Expert Tips to Kick Sugar Addiction @ End Sugar Addiction has helped me to understand the biochemical and physical addiction to sugar that I have had for many years. Just one bite will lead to an epic sugar binge. I will not name the foods because that my trigger some people as well as myself.

Five days ago I cleared every single trace of ANYTHING containing sugar and flour out of my kitchen and made a commitment to stop abusing my body and love it by feeding it nourishing low carb foods.

That day I restocked my kitchen with good low carb foods.

I am on day 4 sugar and flour free. This is huge for me. It gets easier every day. I know there will be bad days but, I have a good plan at the ready.

My way is now abstinence. I will not take that first bite.

My wish for all of you suffering like this is much peace and calmness as well as freedom from your addiction.

Last edited by iluvbacon; 07-27-2014 at 12:44 PM..
iluvbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal View Post

Are you aware of any good programs for kids this age?
No, I don't know of programs for kids, but your entry stimulated a few questions.

Prader-Willi Syndrome is a genetic disorder that is characterized by hyperphagia(can't stop overeating), is it possible that may be a connection?
Are there possible blood sugar spikes/crashes that cause her constant frustration?

If she doesn't see herself as having a problem, that will be tough.
If it is just part of 'normal rebellion' like some children who find things that just erk parents...and play it up to the endth degree because they love to see their parents frustrated...it diverts the parents to a different focus while they enjoy freedom in another area...time and patience is a tough act for most parents of teens!

Last edited by Galveston Gal; 07-27-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbacon View Post
This link Expert Tips to Kick Sugar Addiction @ End Sugar Addiction has helped me to understand the biochemical and physical addiction to sugar that I have had for many years. I am on day 4 sugar and flour free. This is huge for me. It gets easier every day. I know there will be bad days but,

Excellent link...check it out.
Under the "who we are" tab on that page is a link to Childhood Obesity...which leads to other sources...

Give it a 'look see'...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: abbynormal
WOE: WW
Start Date: obviously not today
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbacon View Post
This link Expert Tips to Kick Sugar Addiction @ End Sugar Addiction has helped me to understand the biochemical and physical addiction to sugar that I have had for many years. Just one bite will lead to an epic sugar binge. I will not name the foods because that my trigger some people as well as myself......
Thanks for that link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
... Prader-Willi Syndrome is a genetic disorder that is characterized by hyperphagia(can't stop overeating), is it possible that may be a connection? ... If she doesn't see herself as having a problem, that will be tough....
I don't believe there is a physical reason behind the overeating. I believe it's psychological in nature. Her birth mother passed away when she was 4 following a long battle with leukemia. Her father and I married a little over 5 years ago. She spent a significant amount of time with caretakers when her mother was ill and while DH was being a single parent after her death. I'm not blaming the caretakers because God bless them for being there, but apparently there was a lot of, "oh poor little baby with the sick/dead mother. Here, have some candy. It will make you feel better" type of activities going on. There's been ongoing family drama that no child should have to be witness to, much less be the center of. If anyone has reasons to have an eating disorder, this child has them in spades!

We've had her in therapy and with a child psychiatrist. She's medicated for depression. We took a break from regular sessions at the recommendation of the therapist - as you start to unpackage the stuff you should let some of it settle before peeling away the next layer of the onion. With the escalation of these food issues we've got appointments set up for her again that will begin next week. Trying to get my ducks in a row before he head back in.

Thanks all!
abbynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You might consider a pediatric endocrinologist. My niece exhibited similar behavior, and both her mother and father had 'weight issues.' The endo tested her and found that she had a metabolic problem that was driving her to eat constantly. Unfortunately, she was 11 at the time, and the endo said that until age 14, most children are unable to manage their eating--even when they want to do so.

This is exactly what happened to my niece. She initially was happy to learn that her weight wasn't her 'fault' and that she could do things to lose weight, but she was totally incapable of following the doctor's advice--even with support from her parents. She still sneaked food and ate constantly.

Now she's an obese young adult.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

It's a challenge for sure. My view is a bit that we sometimes divide things too readily into the psychological and the physical, as if they are mutually exclusive. It think they are two sides of one coin, or maybe better put, one interacts with the other. I would not too quickly dismiss the physical side of things, despite her past Good luck to you. She's a fortunate child to have you in her life.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stevem14
Stats: 374/361/250
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 7-3-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post

4)Did I say Don't be afraid of fat?
10)Explore new foods that you haven't tried before...that would be in the fresh vegetable department...

It is always changing!!! Keep after it!!!
Never, Never, Never give up...
Thanx for the reply Ms Gal...

My only issue with fat is I don't think I'm eating enough of it... I am trying to lower my protein and raise my fats, but I'm not sure how to get just lard down my gullet without it returning to sender...

I have grown a liking to this shake I invented that is just like many of the LCHF shakes I have seen only without the protein powder and adding 1 cup of heavy cream instead of half a cup or less... I make it with Almond/Coconut milk mix and unsweetened cocoa and I net only about 13 carbs for a 4 cup/very large glass shake. Works good for the cravings because I can't hardly move after forcing the whole thing down... but it tastes great! (I use Stevia to sweeten)

I am definetly trying new things too, I had asparagus for the first time today. Fried it in olive oil butter and seasonings left after cooking up some pork chops. Still tasted a bit green, but not too bad with the seasonings...
I think I might do that again soon.

My cravings are lessoning some, but not gone yet...
I haven't cheated or anything, but these cravings are tough to beat...

Thanx for the comments,
I'll hang in there...
Steve
Stevem14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

If the shake works to help curb cravings, that is great.

My view is to avoid feeding a craving, and it will diminish over time.
Well that is the case for alcohol cravings for me, and seems to be the case for food cravings too.

Hang tough Steve.