Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Addiction Support (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/addiction-support/)
-   -   niacin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/addiction-support/806303-niacin.html)

sarahatl 06-17-2013 05:44 PM

niacin

Does anyone take niacin for cravings. I cannot go over 5 days without giving into carbs/sugar. I am such an addict. I feel if I can get through 3 weeks I will break the habit. I have been reading about chromium and niacin(B3). I just ordered some online. Just curious if anyone takes this and your thoughts.

MaryMary 07-01-2013 03:57 PM

What does your menu look like? Do you eat any grain at all? Being that I am a food addict, it is not only the type of food that can trigger it in me but I can compulsively eat once I take the first compulsive bite. So if I guard against the first ompulsive bite, the urge for it passes in 20 min or so. Also many times, we are thirsty not hungry. I used to drink water and have a bottle in every room of my house.

I don't know about the vitamins you mention

Patience 07-02-2013 07:08 AM

I don't supplement specifically with B3, although there is some in my daily multi.
I have taken a bit chromium in past but never regularly. I think it does have a bit of an appetite suppressing effect for me, but I suspect this will vary a lot among people.
I like 5-HTP. I am not sure about supressing appetite, but for me it seems to take a bit of edge off my anxiety. . . which tends to connect with food/alcohol cravings for me. I take it very rarely now, but I did take a tab yesterday morning as I felt anxiety building. I hadn't taken any for a couple of weeks. The effects of 5-HTP seem to vary widely among people. If you ever chose to try it, maybe start with small dosages (50 mg perahaps). It is reported to cause vivid dreams. Not a problem for me, but I usually take in afternoon, not before bed.

sarahatl 07-02-2013 09:55 AM

Thanks all....I didn't end up taking the niacin but I am taking the Chromium...Mary I have been eating some wheat. I think that may be my trigger. I am not a big meat eater although I do eat some- geeze with low carb there is not much but meat it seems. I do love tofu though. Last few days I have been having egg beaters and veggie sausage for breakfast rather that cereal with fruit- seems to help.

MaryMary 07-02-2013 10:15 AM

I only eat meat at lunch with a cooked veg and salad w/ dressing. I have TVP in soymilk with 1/2 cup berries and a protein smoothie with 1/2 cup berries from soypowder and soymilk one day for breakfast. Other days I might make something with soynut butter and greek yogurt with fruit. At night I love Greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup pumpkin & golden flaxseed meal with vanilla, sweetener, pumpkin pie spice and maple flavoring accompanied by a huge salad with dressing. It is very filling.

There are all kinds of things you can do with soy. I don't eat a lot but am not afraid to use it a few times a week for breakfast mostly.

sarahatl 07-07-2013 07:12 AM

Oh I love the idea of the yogurt mixed with pumpkin. I will try that. I am on day 7 of no binging! This is the longest I have gone. Also ran/walked 2 miles today! I am on a roll.

Patience 07-07-2013 08:57 AM

Congratulations, Sara.
In the winter I like a pumpkin (canned for convenience) mixed with broth and a dash of cayenne for a filling satisfying very fast meal. Finish with a big dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Ym. I am not eating pumpkin right now but it will be one of the first staples I'll add back to my diet when I reach goal weight.