Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newtanya
Start Date: April 8 2012
I am so sad

I am on day 9 of phase 1 Atkins and I am so sad that I can hardly stand myself. I guess that I am just such a food addict that I feel incomplete without a bag of chips, or junk at night. I honestly just had a bath and cried because of the huge void that I am feeling. I have been overweight my entire life and have always used food as a comfort/reward. I just feel yucky. I totally understand why those people break down on the biggest looser. I have lost 22 pounds and I still have 100 to loose, and I always loose my strength at 20 pounds ish. What is wrong with me? Will this sadness/emptyness go away? Please tell me that there is someone who feels the same way out there. Tell me this will get better....
newtanya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
It will get better! Especially when you have eaten low carb for a while, the urge to binge gets less and less. Believe me, I know what you are going through. I used food my whole life. Not only as comfort but as a relief and an outlet for stress.
I was able to really overcome the drive to overeat and binge by doing the Solution program with Laurel Mellin. It really taught me that i had to feel my feelings rather than eat them. It was hard for me to understand because i felt so in touch with my feelings. The problem was I didn't have the right tools in how to deal with them. This was after years of therapy and self help so trust me when i tell you that I didn't think it would work. But it did.
You can google it or hopefully find other support resources that specifically deal with the drive to overeat.
I am telling you this because I know first hand that the cycle of bingeing, dieting etc. can end.
I hope you forgive yourself for tonight, get back up tomorrow and start fresh.
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newtanya
Start Date: April 8 2012
Thank you so much for understanding me. I feel so alone with this and you helped make me feel normal. I will take your advice. I know that I don't know how to feel my feelings and that I do eat my feelings, I just don't know how to start feeling, but I will look it up and read on it! Thanks sooo much
newtanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
You are very welcome! You are not alone, so glad you reached out.
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Tanya, hang around here with us and you will get a lot of affirmation. You really are not alone and there is a path forward. Draw upon our support (there are some pros here) and develop a strategy for sticking with a plan for eating. Day by day. Persistance and patience is really important. Sounds like you know Atkins, but still I discover new twists by working these boards.

Do you feel that you might be clinically depressed, or are you just down on yourself? Fish oil can be good with depression. Just wanted to bring that into the discussion.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrisdbassplayer
Stats: 345/299/260
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 29th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtanya View Post
I am on day 9 of phase 1 Atkins and I am so sad that I can hardly stand myself. I guess that I am just such a food addict that I feel incomplete without a bag of chips, or junk at night. I honestly just had a bath and cried because of the huge void that I am feeling. I have been overweight my entire life and have always used food as a comfort/reward. I just feel yucky. I totally understand why those people break down on the biggest looser. I have lost 22 pounds and I still have 100 to loose, and I always loose my strength at 20 pounds ish. What is wrong with me? Will this sadness/emptyness go away? Please tell me that there is someone who feels the same way out there. Tell me this will get better....
My wife and me so understand this, we still talk about it alot, we are at the 7 week mark. Not having our prefered junk food is like saying goodbye to an old friend. A week or so it wasnt so bad, by the 3rd week it got rough. We tend to reward ourselves with a good meals or a tasty dessert. It's actually been our family tradition for more than 20 years and in my mother and fathers house alot longer, italian family, when we are happy, we celebrate with food ,we are sad, we comfort ourselves with food, birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, mothers day, fathers day, everything involves food!!! It is a hard cycle to break. With that said we are trying hard to change our lifestyle. Sometimes it means saying no to something that used to bring us happiness/comfort. I will say this LCF forum site has already helped me alot!!!

I am so there with you!!! It's so not easy to give up something that has brought you comfort and reward for so long. It's not an easy cycle to break. I can tell you honestly some days are better than others, there are days when I am so sad/mad/upset and then others when I'm so happy with my success so far. It's a daily struggle, I'm sure it will ease with time but for now know there are alot of people out there fighting that same fight with you!!!
chrisdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Maybe reframe that "old friend" as "crazy relative"? Or "food stalker" . . . not sure what might work, but chips are not a friend we want around. But yes, it is a day by day thing, some days are hard, but the trend is toward easier.

How are you doing today Tanya?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I still love food and celebrate with food. On special occasions I buy a big thick porterhouse for thevgrill. Just find new foods to enjoy!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Taywatty
Stats: 262/248/150
Start Date: February 2006/July 2006
Hi Tanya,

Don't give up! Food can become addictions for some of us. The key to overcoming is to gradually replace the bad habits with good one. You have to use intervention/strategies you know....for example I went to the movies last night, love buttered popcorn, knew it would be a problem for me...so I took pork skins in my purse...may not be a favorite of most, but it did the trick for me! Whew! Also when I crave sweets, I buy atkins shakes, davinci syrup/w water, etc. I also use this website to find good substitue recipes. I also use mind games...I know once I cheat, it will take me 3 days to get back in ketosis. I also set mini goals, which I call baby steps...which are small accomplishements that will ultimately help me get to the final goal. So far I have only lost 17 pounds, I have about 80 more to go. I didn't put all the weight on at one time, so I know it will take a while. My best secret is this find something you like besides food and make it your treat. I love lingerie, when I lose the next 10 pounds....I'm buying myself...another gift!
Most important think, don't give up, find someone you can help you work through the tough times, and cheer up, you can do this!
Taywatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Hi Newtanya. I hope you are hanging in there. You are definitely not alone!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I hope you are feeling better since you wrote the original post .
JUDDD was the answer for me and today food has no power over me. I have no food that is off limits if it fits into my calories for the day
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Taywatty
Stats: 262/248/150
Start Date: February 2006/July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I hope you are feeling better since you wrote the original post .
JUDDD was the answer for me and today food has no power over me. I have no food that is off limits if it fits into my calories for the day
Hi Carly,

just wondering how does JUDD work? I have made some progress on LC but I'm getting a little bored eating the same things.
Taywatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taywatty View Post
Hi Carly,

just wondering how does JUDD work? I have made some progress on LC but I'm getting a little bored eating the same things.
Juddd is just about counting calories. If you google "juddd calculator" you will get to Dr. Johnson's website and you can get you UD/DD calories. Visit us on the juddd threads here at low carb friends.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote