LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
so discouraged!

First a little background. I gave up drinking 20 days ago. Up until that point I was drinking up to 4 bottles of wine daily, sometimes more. This equals over 3000 calories in wine alone. Add to that the fact that when I drank, I ate a lot of junk along with it. On May 4th, I started back on low carb. No alcohol ever again for me. I have done strict induction, less than 20 carbs a day, high fat, moderate protein, but not overdoing it with the portions. I have not cheated even once. I drink plenty of water, take ACV regularly, and go to the gym 3-4 times a week for low impact exercise on the treadmill for about 1/2 hour, then about 5 miles on the recumbent bike at a very low resistance. I have been in pretty deep ketosis for the past 13 days. Imagine how discouraged I am to find out that after all of that, I haven't even lost 1/2 pound. My clothes still feel as tight on me as they ever have. I have always had luck with this WOE in the past and I was so excited to get back to it. I almost got discouraged enough last night to eat something I shouldn't, but I resisted. I'm giving it another week at least, but I'm REALLY upset!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
ok, first of all. did you weigh yourself on the same scale? do you have any reason to think the scale is accurate? don't be hanging yourself on the performance of some $30 appliance, you know?

second, exercise has not been shown to help weight loss, even though it's wonderful for you. our bodies find many ways to compensate for something like that.

third, stopping drinking like that is a HUGE change for your body. give it some time! alcohol dehydrates, so maybe you have lost some weight and it just made up for the water you gained when you stopped drinking?

and fourth, don't even think about giving up! it hasn't even been a month! if you were eating fairly low carb before, you won't have had the huge initial loss of water... get into the flow of it then try cutting the amount you are eating.

it won't be as easy as before... we all get older and our bodies suffer metabolically when we are fat. every time is harder. so do it now, because you don't want to find yourself 50 lb heavier in 10 years!!! *hugs*

congratulations on both the drinking and the eating right. good things will come to you.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Thanks for the support. I have to admit that I am getting old, unfortunately, even though I don't feel like it. I'm 56, and last week when I went shopping for work at the discount bread store they gave me the senior citizen discount without even asking me. I'll take the money off, but I was kind of insulted. On the other hand, the last time I bought wine at Walmart I got carded!
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
Thanks for the support. I have to admit that I am getting old, unfortunately, even though I don't feel like it. I'm 56, and last week when I went shopping for work at the discount bread store they gave me the senior citizen discount without even asking me. I'll take the money off, but I was kind of insulted. On the other hand, the last time I bought wine at Walmart I got carded!
scintillady...please don't feel discouraged (easy for me to say). You have done an amazing job! Exercising, giving up wine, no carbs....that is amazing! I have to admit I chuckled at your post about the senior discount. I got asked if I wanted the senior discount recently.. (I am 55)..and I asked how old you needed to be for it and they told me 60!!!
Depressing!!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I second what Ravenrose has said. You body is adjusting to a very different diet. Try to just take a deep breath and accept that loss may be slower than your expectations. Results will come, but some short term patience may be needed. The alternative is not really very attractive. I suppose you could try a different WOE, but I think sticking to LC for a longer period may be a good course. I am really not losing fast, in fact I don't know that I have lost a pound, but I am feeling lighter and that's worth it.
So hang in there with us. We need your good compnay.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ENDZONE
Stats: 260/200/199 (1st goal)
WOE: Plain Low Carb
Start Date: 07/05/2008 Restart 04/1/13 approx. 236
Don't Quit

I found this and posted it in my journal for inspiration. Hoping it helps you.

Don't Quit

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
When you want to give up just because you gave in,
and forget all about being healthy and thin.
So What! You went over your points a bit,
It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit!
It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
It's learning the skills to get back in your range.
It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
If you summon the will to get back in the race.
But, often the struggler's, when losing their grip,
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
And learn too late when the damage is done,
that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.
Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
but facing each challenge will help you grow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.
When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
- Author Unknown
ENDZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Love the poem...

Scintillady, keep coming back, don't quit before the miracle happens. Normally, we are told to focus on one thing at a time. Quitting the booze is a big thing and I think you need to give your whole body and mind time to adjust in a cleaner body and mind, more clear headed. I'd say 3-6 months. During that time try to make the best food choices you can but without a focus on losing weight, just eating healthy.

Not drinking is part of my food plan and when I did Atkins in 2001, I lost on average 1 lb a week. In the second year, I lost 1/2 lb a week on average. It would come in spurts. But after the first eighteen months, the doctors were able to start reducing my medications until a year later, I had come off everything. So it was the third year where I stalled big time at 270 lbs. so I changed it up and chose to use portion control, adding in veggies and a fruit but having portions of meat and fats. It was in 2004 when I dropped 3/4 lb a week on average with the new low carb structure.

Right now, focus on staying sober and making healthy food choices. Put the bathroom scale away for a month. Don't take it out until July 1st. It is the behaviours that are changing. We have no control over the results, just what we take action on.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote