Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lose4life
Stats: 310/281/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Addiction to alcohol and food

Hi,

I've been abstaining from alcohol as much as I can and now I've become addicted to carbs. It's so hard for me to stay on a low carb diet. I've already lost 30lbs doing low carb but I recently fell off the wagon and can't stop eating carbs. I'm like an addict. Is there any correlation between high carb foods and alcohol?
lose4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
All I know is that when I was drinking I couldn't stay on a low carb diet. Now that I no longer drink I've been able to stay in induction for almost 3 weeks.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
I think there is, your body is trying to deal with the craving for alcohol by using another drug, sugar and starches. Some people do that when they stop smoking too.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I don't want to give misinformation as it has been years since I've done any research on this but I'll give the gist of what I remember (though it could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt).

Long story made short, I do believe there is evidence (perhaps full on proof) that high carbohydrate in-take causes the brain to release serotonin, thus making a lot of people (particularly carb sensitive people) get a borderline "high."

I can't really remember all the chemical interactions relating to alcohol or if they're even similar, but perhaps it's something similar in terms of what it does in the brain or just as simple as providing that "high."

I know that when I drink, it's actually easier for me to avoid carbs. However, when I first started avoiding alcohol over the long-term, the first week or so made me feel more vulnerable to wanting to consume carbs (perhaps looking for some type of feel-good replacement, as already suggested) . That first week, I deviated slightly from my plan allowing myself like 5-10 tortilla chips or whole grain wheat thins or a slice of whole grain toast (still within my carb limit as I only allowed myself to eat meat the rest of the day) because... well, I don't really know. I just succumbed to it.

I'm thankful I was able to keep it in check, but it was difficult to do so because back in my higher carb days, I could easily eat half a bag of either of those items. And I honestly felt those small serving sizes were worth it. During that week, they definitely comforted me and helped me feel calm and at ease. I'm just thankful I was able to keep it in check, because I'm not sure I could keep those portion sizes on a regular basis if I indulged.

It's ok to fall off the wagon. I won't sit here and tell you not to feel bad about it, because if you're anything like me, you will regardless of what anyone says. But, for me, the best fix for that is to get right back on track ASAP.

I'm not sure if you live alone or if you have other members in your household that do not eat in a low-carb fashion. However, I do live with others and they eat an extremely high carb diet and regularly have foods I'd love to indulge in. I try to avoid opening the cupboards or pantry, and just open the fridge, which is where the stuff I can eat mostly resides. That definitely makes it difficult, and sometimes I open those areas and pep talk myself into the fact I don't need those food items and in the long-term they will impact my ultimate goals so I must avoid them and keep those goals in mind (maybe I'm a slight masochist).

However, my progress so far isn't nearly as remarkable as yours! 30lbs is an amazing amount to lose and you should congratulate yourself on that. Perhaps try some self pep talks about how much you really enjoy the feeling of losing weight and how that feeling cannot compare to the ambivalent feelings carbs cause you. It's not easy, but often I give myself a similar talk to keep me relatively on path. Cravings aren't easy to deal with, so I do understand what you're going through.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I used to think I drank wine for the alcohol high but truth is for me I was also feeding myself sugar. I've found it lots easier to manage food cravings without wine (or beer) in my diet.
I could never do the one glass a day recommended for women, so why bother? If it was in the house, I'd always drink more. Some people can do this, as some people can each 3 or 4 nuts. Not me. So my first guideline on the WOE is no alcohol. So far, so good. I can say never (that's a lesson I've learned over and over), but right now I have no desire to drink alcohol and my appetite is as tame as I can remember for a long time (I did my restart 7 weeks ago).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I do believe there is. I think it is the craving for sugar either way. I am no expert but I am addicted to carbs just the way people are addicted to alcohol. I seriously cannot go more that three days without binging on carbs. I do know when I drink alcohol, which is only on Saturday nights, that it usually follows with a binge. Could you be hypoglycemic? I know I am and when I drink wine or any carbohydrate for that matter my blood sugar drops and then I CRAVE more sugar or wine and it is a vicious cycle. I am not sure if this makes sense to you but I believe this is what causes my intense cravings...the hypoglycemia.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I'm not hypoglycemic I think I just have an addictive personality. I gave up one addiction for another. I truly think that carbs have an effect on my serotonin levels, which in turn is making me crave them.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I quit drinking/smoking years ago. I was never a heavy smoker but was definitely a binge drinker. I quit both rather easily, but after years of trying to stop binge eating I have only managed one 6 month stretch where I was in full control of my eating. I do think it is serotonin related because in the past serotonin based antidepressants have stopped my binging cold for the first couple of months when I first begin taking them, the thing that I don't understand is that the effect wears off after a few months.

Last edited by jeaniem; 05-19-2013 at 04:35 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Yes jeaniem...I had the same reaction to antidepressants..at first they do stop the binging but then it wears off. You know this has just been a light bulb moment for me...I have always suffered from a low grade depression diagnosed as dsythmia now I am wondering if that is why I crave the carbs...trying to self medicate.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I used to gake the SSRI's and they caused more problems. When I first started Atkins in 2001-2003, I eventually came off them. When I restarted meds, it was with Wellbutrin which affected my dopamine levels. I figured if it worked for nicotine withdrawal, it would work for carb withdrawal. At the same time, I switched my food plan to a structured low carb approach with a no matter what attitude. I stopped using sugar, grains and alcohol along with legumes, milk and cheese, and increased my veggies and had a fruit a day.

The correlation between alcohol and carbs is that alcohol is made from sugars and grains that have been fermented. My body is like a still that ferments the sugar and grains I eat in solid form and produces gas and swelling all over. If I don't give up both, I am substituting one addiction for another. That is why with WLS the doctors try really hard to make sure that patients understand the surgery is just a tool like a kitchen scale that helps the, modulate the amount of food but does not fix the problem of compulsive overeating. For that the patient needs to work on the emotional and spiritual levels as well as be compliant with their chosen food plan. One doctor told me lack of compliance is the biggest problem.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I'm also diagnosed with dysthymia as well and back in the day, particularly with a stress-depressed combo, I would hit up dollar menus at fast food places and just carb out. Great "high" but it came with a crash too.

I've actually found ketosis to be significantly more effective than any medication I was ever on and try to focus on how important being in ketosis is to me for making things much more manageable and, even more importantly, is largely improving to the point where I don't feel that chronic low-grade depression as much. Focusing on that helps prevent major carb binges when I'm having a particularly weak moment, but it's not easy.

Heck, today is one of those days, and my roomates have a ton of delicious carb-loaded food from a party they had today while I was gone. It took so much not to have a bite of anything. It's taking a lot of resolve to not give in as for some reason I'm feeling ravenous today (spent a good 8hrs in the sun so that might be why) but I'm doing everything I can to avoid the kitchen and hopefully go to bed soon as I know today is a day where I would not be able to limit my serving sizes the way I described in my previous post.

It's simply frustrating.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Hayek: That is really interesting what you mentioned about ketosis. Do you have any problem sleeping with the ketosis? What type of breakfast do you eat? I tell you what my main problem is. I do not like meat or eggs. I just do not know what to eat for breakfast to kick start my day that does not have carbs. I currently eat a Fiber One cereal with blueberries - it has no sugar but 22 g of carbs for the cereal not to mention the blueberries. (I eat two servings- which is one cup) so I start my day with 22 g of carbs and 4 grams of protein(I do put soy milk on it as well). I do not mean to steal this thread with my own issues so maybe I will start another or if someone would like to PM me that would be great. I wish there were more support groups (face to face)for issues like healthy eating. Do you think greek yogurt would be a good alternative for breakfast? It has 23 g of protein and 9 sugar? Thank you for listening! I so understand your frustration.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I've been reading a number of diet books and several authors do say that alcohol and sugar/starch addiction use the same brain chemicals.

I don't want to sound like I'm advertising the book, but The Diet Cure has a section on this as well as amino acid supplements to take to overcome alcoholism or sugar/starch addiction... I can't guarantee success but you could try it out.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I also Take antidepressants for depression. I think that's why I crave carbs is to raise the serotonin levels. Maybe I'm not taking enough antidepressants. I know they can cause weight. I noticed that low carb has helped with my mood. Such a struggle
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Hayek: That is really interesting what you mentioned about ketosis. Do you have any problem sleeping with the ketosis? What type of breakfast do you eat? I tell you what my main problem is. I do not like meat or eggs. I just do not know what to eat for breakfast to kick start my day that does not have carbs. I currently eat a Fiber One cereal with blueberries - it has no sugar but 22 g of carbs for the cereal not to mention the blueberries. (I eat two servings- which is one cup) so I start my day with 22 g of carbs and 4 grams of protein(I do put soy milk on it as well). I do not mean to steal this thread with my own issues so maybe I will start another or if someone would like to PM me that would be great. I wish there were more support groups (face to face)for issues like healthy eating. Do you think greek yogurt would be a good alternative for breakfast? It has 23 g of protein and 9 sugar? Thank you for listening! I so understand your frustration.
When I first entered ketosis from my previous ways of eating, I had such an extreme amount of energy that I felt as though I had a pot of coffee at every moment. I was also extremely euphoric (like giggly status). This lasted for about 3 days, and during that short period, I probably only slept 3-4 hours a night. However, I have chronic insomnia so that was kind of a typical night's sleep for me except without the "I'm so tired/drained" funk the next morning. Now that I'm regularly in ketosis, I find I sleep much better (6-8 hours a night), wake up easier (ready to go within a few minutes of waking up), and usually fall asleep easier. I still have some nights (once a week or so) that I seem to have sleeping issues, but I take 10mg of a reputable melatonin supplement and 1 off-brand Unisom tablet. I have to combine these for either to work. Also, as I've done for years, I do 15-30 minutes of high intensity light therapy each morning (this helps with sleep cycles and dysthymia).

I rarely eat breakfast actually. I've never been someone who's all that hungry when I wake up so I used to just have something small in my pre-low-carb days (maybe a little thing of yogurt, maybe a slimfast, etc.) and that'd get me through until about 10:30-11:00am (when I would wake up around 7-8). I've also never been a huge fan of breakfast foods.

Now that I'm in ketosis on a regular basis, all I have for breakfast (around 8-9am) is 6-8oz of coffee with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, 2 teaspoons of a fiber supplement, and 2 teaspoons of Splenda. This keeps me full until around 12-1PM.

I was vegan for about a year (long irrelevant story) prior to sliding into bad eating habits and before going low carb. I know there are ways to do a less-meat intensive low-carb diet. I set my carb limit a little higher than some people because of how much I love vegetables (as I frequently grow tired of eating meat or eggs), so if I ate a salad for breakfast, I'd be perfectly happy. But then again, like I said, not a huge fan of breakfast foods.

As far as suggesting alternatives or what you want to do for breakfast, it'd probably be easier if you provided some of your overall goals, such as a daily net carb limit you want to work toward, and foods you generally enjoy that are higher carb. Personally, I somewhat eased into Atkins Induction that I modified a bit, but now I'm more aligned with a general ketogenic diet and trying to stick with proper macros (for me, roughly 60% of my calories have to come from fat, 5-7% from carbs, and the remainder is protein). I can PM you a very effective ketogenic diet calculator if you want to check out your recommended in-take.

In a quick nutshell, I pretty much tell myself I can eat absolutely anything I want as long as I'm under 30 net carbs a day. However, in practice, this largely works out to being a lot of Atkins Induction's phase foods. And since I've started doing it that way, I've actually been under 20 net carbs on most days.

Anyway, also didn't mean to hijack this thread or go off on a tangent, so if anyone is upset, a moderator can feel free to remove the post lol.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

I used to eat greek yogurt for breakfast with a piece of fruit. Sometimes a cup ofstrawberries or 1/2 cup blueberries in the yogurt. I also have tried an egg with 2 oz soy cheese and a piece of fruit. There are lots of ways to mix and match breakfast. It is the one meal I have the most carbs, but then eat veggies and protein at lunch and dinner.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lose4life View Post
I also Take antidepressants for depression. I think that's why I crave carbs is to raise the serotonin levels. Maybe I'm not taking enough antidepressants. I know they can cause weight. I noticed that low carb has helped with my mood. Such a struggle
This is something also discussed in the book - whether for some people sufficient protein and amino acid supplements are enough to raise serotonin levels and can substitute for antidepressants, versus cases where antidepressants are necessary. Also the author discusses the way that carbs mimic these chemicals and are used as a drug by the body as a way to compensate for low serotonin, hence the cravings. And, the author discusses the reasons why (in their view) a low-carb (read: protein-rich) diet improves mood, by providing needed components for the amino acids necessary for serotonin production.

I really was not paid by the author to advertise but it makes sense anyway
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Sarah, the Eades in their books recommend a protein power shake for breakfast, it's basically whey or soy based protein powder based, with some supplements added. That could be a good alternative for breakfast if you want a lower carb meatless strart to the day. Some have egg powder in them. I could post their basic recipe. I love eggs or meat, so I rarely go the shake course but you might want to try.

5-HTP is a precursor to seratonin so it might be helpful with depression. I seem to recall that the instructinos say not to use it wilth antidepressants. I think its track record is variable. I like it now and then to take the curb of anxiety. I think one of the problems with anitidepressants is they take a while to kick in and the tend to lose their effectivenss over time. Depending on how serious your depression is you can try lots of fish oil, sprectrum lights (especially in winter) and vitamin D as alternative.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

There is a new book called "The Dopamine Diet" where it talks about the pleasure response. If the receptors are functioning or if the type of food we eat is the wrong kind, we will have fluctuations in our dopamine levels that is similar to the ups and downs in insulin. You know the kind of yummo feeling you get when you take the first bit of a delicious steak, that is dopamine being released.

I take Wellbutrin which treats the dopamine levels. To supplement the meds, I need to eat the right foods which are meats, vegetables, seeds and nuts, and even a bit of fruit. All the things I currently eat are the right foods except I don't eat nuts but do eat soynuts, flaxseed and sesame seed (tahini). L-tyrosine is a helpful vitamin to take to supplement too because that is the one ingredient that all these foods have in common. I am buying some today.

I remember seeing a TV show that said some of us overeat due to the dopamine level and some due to the serotonin levels. It is important to know which kind you are otherwise you are treating the wrong part of your brain. My doctor had me on the serotonin treatment initially. That is pretty standard but I gained weight. When I started low carb in 2001, it helped because even thouh I didn't know it, I was eating the right food for me. In 2003, I added in more veggies, a bit of fruit, seed and soynuts along with the wellbutrin, and the rest is history. It took 5 years to lose. I got into trouble when I started eating the wrong foods in 2011 and when I realized the side effects, quickly went back to the right ones. For me it wasthe dopamine levels.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

This forum is one big biology/chemistry lesson!
(never my best subjects)
Thanks for the clarification, Mary.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

So much good information...thank you all for your responses. Day 3 for me! I think I will try the protein shake. I need to buy a good blender.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ontherightpath
Hi,

I've been abstaining from alcohol as much as I can and now I've become addicted to carbs. It's so hard for me to stay on a low carb diet. I've already lost 30lbs doing low carb but I recently fell off the wagon and can't stop eating carbs. I'm like an addict. Is there any correlation between high carb foods and alcohol?

Any day I don't drink is another day I can work on being healthier in other ways. Physical and Mental...Spiritual and Emotional. I really started dieting again when i stopped drinking...gave me something else to focus on...renewed my determination to lose weight when i stopped smoking.

Cravings have to do with sugar...carbs candy..etc. are sugar.. I know for myself and in the rooms...the best meetings also have CANDY..lol! I rarely ate sugar or carbs when drinking..the WATCH OUT..for a while it was sooo hard to stop.

Don't beat yourself up. If you are not drinking today...it's one more day to learn how to enjoy learning how to live a sober healthy life. kind of exciting..i think!

Last edited by ontherightpath; 06-14-2013 at 09:56 AM..
ontherightpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I used to think I didn't have a weakness for sweets when in fact I was getting more than enough sugar from wine. What kind of alcohol do you typically drink?

I think for some of us there can be a parallel between addictive cravings for food and for alcohol, for others maybe not so much. I managed to quit drinking for several years a few years back, and then it starting creeping back in. I made not drinking number one priority of my WOE this time around and I am finding it fairly easy not to drink, which is really helping with weight loss as well. I don't think I would be succeeding at all if I were still drinking. I was eating more while drinking during the last year. Since stopping drinking completley at end of March I have not had big carb issues. I have focused on getting sugar of any kind out of my diet.
I used to be a volunteer moderator on a drinking forum, and there was some consensus that for those struggling to get even a day into not drinking that it was ok to have something sugary instead. (Like a lot of folks at AA meetings years ago smoking.) It was the lesser of two evils. Some people can tackle more than one behavior at a time, but I think for most of us, we need to pick one for priority focus.

Love to hear what others think about this.

Last edited by Patience; 06-14-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Alcohol is made from sugar and grains. So when you drink alcohol, you are drinking your sugar and grains fermented. When we eat it, we are simply consuming it before it is fermented. My body seems to have the capacity to ferment it after I eat it. That's why the gas and gerd gets so bad. All those bubbles are pushing themselves to the throat. It goes away for the most part when I stop consuming it. I don't drink anymore either because I don't want any form of sugar or grain in my body. It is the onky way I could have lost might weight and kept it off.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
I've heard it said that "alcohol is the jet fuel of all sugars."

When I reflect back on my history with food, I can see that I binged on sugarcarbies when I was young, then did an annorexic stint in my mid teens, and then discovered alcohol. I too thought I had "no sweet tooth" all those years of over drinking.

When I first stopped drinking I heeded some good advice from a couple of sources - one being Julia Ross ("The Mood Cure" / "The Diet Cure") She absolutely advocates a low carb diet and NO SUGAR for people trying to stop drinking. So I adopted low carb and had no problems. (and took a pass on all the candy in the rooms, LOL!)

Then I let sugar in. Thought I could have "just one" or something. OMG did I open Pandora's Box. I've been struggling for....over two years? Maybe 3 now? trying to get back off the sugarcarbies.

Nobody will ever convince me there is not a VERY strong connection between sugar and alcohol on the metabolism, on the brain chemistry, etc.

Wow. Felt good to just reiterate my thoughts on that once again in writing! Thanks for letting me share!

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for sharing this, Doggy. Somebody said it a couple of weeks ago (maybe you!) and I was going to put it my previous post but couldn't remember it.

I've heard it said that "alcohol is the jet fuel of all sugars."
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zoier
Stats: 195/172.6/149
Start Date: July 8, 2013
I agree. Thank you for your insight. I became sober after going to AA, and took the advice in the Big Book, "if you have a craving for alcohol, have something sweet to ward off the alchol craving." This did work and I was able to remain sober for 18 months, how ever I developed a voracious appetite for carbs/sugar and gained 45 pounds within that time. I saw it happen to other women in the program as well. Eventually I started drinking again. This time I have stopped drinking and have had no carbs/sugar even fruit. I have gone from 195 to 172 during this time. I have been reading alot about sugar insulin etc. Including Atkins, Jorg Cruise etc. I recently discovered this group and really can relate. Some people can be carb addicts/alcohlic, but not all alcohlics are carb addicts and not all carb addicts are alcholics. That is why I think Bill Wilson sugggested to eat somethin sweet if you have an alchol craving. It worked for him because he was no a carb addict he was a slim man for all of his life.
zoier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Sometimes it's a matter of what poison is going to kill us first. For some alchoholics sugar is the lesser of two evils. If it takes some sugar to get through a day without a drink, so be it. When my dad was struggling with alcoholism, doing the AA thing, folks smoked like chimneys.
Sad irony is that he died of lung cancer. Some alcoholics would rather drink that eat and can die of malnutrition.

All this is very complicated, as Mary's post makes clear. Food and alcohol can be two sides of the same coin. For me, alcohol must go for me to lose weight. I have done and can do without booze (some level of addiction at work, but I lose any craving after a couple of weeks). With that out of mind, I can focus on food. At least that is where I am now.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lose4life View Post
Hi,

In Atkins '72, Dr.Atkins said he believes there is a correlation. That alcoholics were suffering from carbohydrate intolerance and that instead of sucking on candy when they get an alcohol craving, they should be doing a low carb diet. It's been so long since I actually read the book from cover to cover, but I found it fascinating since my brother is an alcoholic and when he's trying not to drink, he's sugar loading.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Totally agree Aomiel