Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Gina- my binges are definitely pre-menstrual. I had a good morning but this afternoon I started cravings carbs again I despise this hormonal hell!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shelle135
Stats: 320/238/135
WOE: HCG injections
Start Date: May 26, 2013
Just curious if anyone has suffered through the sugar detox/withdrawals and then examined your desire to binge? I believe this is my issue and that of many others. It can take up to 2 weeks for our body to be completely operating well without sugar in it I read, but only about 3 days for it to be physically out of our body. Would love to hear your input on this!

Hugs
Shelle135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I'll defer to the experience of others but it does seem to me that 2 weeks is not any magic number. I suspect adjustment could take quite a lot longer for some, perhaps many, people.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Initial detox was 4-5 days for me, but mentally if I entertain the notion that I can have a food teigger eventually I will. Today I don't want to detox anymore so I focus on what I can eat and not what I don't eat. I binged in 2011 after not having binged in 8 years.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

MaryMary- have you changed the diet to stop the binging. Like going low carb or something else?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

I am doing the same food plan that I have been doing since 2003. When I binged, I basically said to myself that I didn't want to do it anymore. I put away my tools and started eating more protein which filled me up and I drastically reduced my fruits and vegetables. So I went from what was working (100 total carbs w/30 gr fiber) to very low carb, and I ended up binging on the sweets. At the end of the 7th week, I called my friends that followed the same food plan and one of them helped me get started again. I don't want to go through that again. In that 7 week window, I gained 32 lbs. It took me a year doing my prior foodplan to lose it all.

One thing that contributed to my giving up on my old food plan is that I had had a shift in attitude, some resentments that I hadn't addressed, and basically numbed the feelings with the food binge. The problems have since resolved themselves and I am committed to my foodplan, one day at a time, especially since that is all I have, just today.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NewYorkGiants32
Hi everyone, may I join this thread?

I have been a binger for a very long time. Years. 15-20. Only difference w/ me is I then 'get rid" of the food I just scarfed down.

For me, this is what I have noticed. When that feeling hits you, you know a binge is coming on, there is only a teeny tiny window of opportunity to talk yourself out of it.

Good luck to everyone, I know how hard it is.

ETA

Today I made those cream cheese clouds. Soooo good and low carb. Every time I have had a craving or urge to binge, I pop one of those in my mouth. Pretty filling.

My Blog...which will only confirm how much therapy I actually need.

http://vodkacalling.wordpress.com/

Last edited by NewYorkGiants32; 05-24-2013 at 04:58 PM..
NewYorkGiants32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, you are very welcome.
I am assuming the cream cheese cloud thingy is one variation of fat bombs.
I think that is an excellent strategy for dealing with a craving.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NewYorkGiants32
Not sure what a fat bomb is??

cream cheese clouds taste like frozen cheese cake.

cream cheese, butter, splenda.

So good!
NewYorkGiants32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

When we get the feeling to eat something when we have uncomfortable feelings, doesn't me we need to eat something. If I can divert my attention by calling someone, ir take a walk, write about it, the feeling will pass within 15-20 min along with the urge to eat something over it. I am working hard to make it from one meal to the next without using food as a pacifer for uncomfortable feelings.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Jennifer.

Glad to hear the fat bombs are helping. I think the fat bomb would send me into binge. Anything sweet does it to me.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

There are good fat bombs that contain no sugar, real or fake.
Literate Griffin posted a wonderful one that consists of almond butter (toasted is best) with butter and CO. You can make good sugar free ones with shredded conconut, butter and CO (throw in a few pecans if you can do nuts). They are a bit too tasty for me right now, but not because they are too sweet. I will use them in emergency type situations (when I don't have great control over my environment and might get hungry).
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Bella. I will look for the recipe. As long as is not sweet, I can have it!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

If you can't find it, let me know.
I can track it down.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shelle135
Stats: 320/238/135
WOE: HCG injections
Start Date: May 26, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
When we get the feeling to eat something when we have uncomfortable feelings, doesn't me we need to eat something. If I can divert my attention by calling someone, ir take a walk, write about it, the feeling will pass within 15-20 min along with the urge to eat something over it. I am working hard to make it from one meal to the next without using food as a pacifer for uncomfortable feelings.
This I believe is key for true control/success over our food issues. Isn't that what binging is all about?
Shelle135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
If only I could get the hang of the distracting myself part...
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

It's likely to take some practice Genie. I believe it can help to be sure that you are not actually hungry, by being sure you are adequately fed with good nutrious food that is on your plan. My problem has been more with alchohol than food, but I have found that distraction works WITH practice, it takes some time though and it can be really hard if I am in the midst of a period of stress. But it does get easier with persistance. But of course with booze I can not fool my self that I really need a drink, whereas with food we do need to eat. I am finding with food that I can avoid an evening snack if I've walked, or mowed the yard, something physically demanding so that I am tired. If I am tired I can just go to sleep rather than eat. It helps that I am a morning person. For now, though, I don't let myself get too hungry. I eat something that is acceptabe, high fat/mod protein, little or no carb. I am sure I'd struggle more if a night owl.

Last edited by Patience; 05-28-2013 at 03:25 AM..