Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Addiction Support (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/addiction-support/)
-   -   Fresh Start~Reduced Alcohol and Induction Carbs... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/addiction-support/803254-fresh-start-reduced-alcohol-induction-carbs.html)

2B_Healthy 05-01-2013 10:36 PM

Fresh Start~Reduced Alcohol and Induction Carbs...

Ugh! Long day came clean with Dr about my Alcohol intake..and we have a plan for next steps. Those steps include accountability (duh) and handling my life as a project, makes sense since I just lost my job as a PM and this approach will work mentally and emotionally for me.

So tomorrow : GOAL 20 carbs or less, and due to medical reasons I need to include gradual Alcohol reduction in those 20 carbs. With new meds to begin this new journey, I am feeling empowered. Looking forward to great BBQ'd meals and reduced alcohol. Surprisingly I am at peace, knowing being real, honest and humble = freedom :)

Whew...long day, amazing how being honest can truly set you free :):)

Who else is coming clean and ready for a fresh start for May 2013???

sarahatl 05-05-2013 05:26 PM

I may be a week late but I would love to join you in this. I am so disgusted with myself. I have been eating carbs like crazing....binging and binging and this is going to stop tomorrow. I feel like I almost have to go through a detox of the carbs so the cravings will be reduced. So for tomorrow I will cut out all sugar, flour, simple carbs and no wine on the weekend which will be hard. I have been so stressed and and anxious...I need to start eating clean, exercising and hopefully I will feel better!! I really need all the help and support I can get.

scintillady 05-05-2013 06:42 PM

I am with you. i just went through a medically supervised inpatient alcohol detox for 2 days, since I finally went to a substance abuse counselor and came clean with her about how much I was drinking. She said it wasn't safe to quit cold turkey since I could have seizures, a stroke, etc. if I stopped all at once. I learned a lot while in there, and I realize now that I am an alcoholic and can't ever drink again. So now I can finally get back to low carb without the wine interfering. Good luck!

sarahatl 05-06-2013 08:07 AM

Good for you scintillady! That is awesome you are AF. I think it will be so much easier to stick to LC without any alcohol in our system. I generally drink wine on Saturday night but I always over do it..then Sunday I eat junk and get and get on this vicious cycle. Today is my day off from work so I plan on making a few low carb meals to get me through the week. I am excited to be with this group and have the support of others.

sarahatl 05-06-2013 01:10 PM

I know it is only day one but I already feel like I have much more energy and not that old sluggish self. I just hope I will be able to sleep well. I made several low carb meals to get me through the week and bought the book (Kindle) Diet Cure.

scintillady 05-06-2013 05:48 PM

Yes, sleep is my biggest problem, but my counselor says it will get better. I have the luxury of working noon to 10 PM, so if I can't get to sleep I can usually sleep late the next day. I'd rather get up and do some things before noon, but for now I go to work go home, stay up for awhile, try to get to sleep, and then get up at about 10:30, about an hour before I have to leave for work. I have more energy, my blood pressure is down, and it takes a lot more for me to break a sweat than before. No more heartburn, either. I am on day 3 of getting back to low carb. When I got out of detox on Friday, I ate everything I wanted with carbs, because I knew that I would be following this WOE for a long time in order to lose 60 pounds. Of course I am sitting here with a pan of brownies cooling on my desk, since I work in a group home for schizophrenic adult men, and if I left them in the kitchen they would be gone in a few minutes, cooled or not.

Patience 05-07-2013 05:29 AM

s-lady, it will take some time to get settled into your new freedom, but your counselor is correct that it will get better. I think when quitting alcohol, especially if the dependence is strong, that is is ok to let up on the diet a bit. Most of us just can't do everything at once. Try not to let it get out of control, but if are facing a choice between a drink and something sweet, go with the sweet not the alcohol. Of course, a better choice might be at hand and you don't have to chose between the "devel and the deep blue sea" (as my mom used to say). Not saying this is your situation, but it is for many people giving up alcohol. It depends on the strength of your alcoholic dependence. Have you had any cravings, either strong or mild?

MaryMary 05-09-2013 01:45 PM

If you need something sweet, pick fruit, like cherries, grapes or watermelon. It is easier to ease into low carb from fruit than it is from the white toxic crap called sugar.

scintillady 05-11-2013 03:11 PM

I don't crave sweets at all. My biggest thing is nachos, pizza, chips, etc. The brownies could sit on my desk all day and I wouldn't be tempted. The reason I said I have to keep them on my desk is that the guys in the house are not good at leaving food for the rest of the guys, so if I don't dole them out a few at a time, some people will take them all. By the way, I have 11 days so far AF. I have no doubt I can do it. I am also on day 7 of strict low carb. Feel like I lost something, but don't have access to a scale until I go back to the gym again tomorrow.