LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bethany66
Stats: 198/170/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2012
One Week Smoke Free

Last year I made a lifestyle change to eating low carb and I have never looked back. I have lost over 30 pounds and I feel so much better. Healthier, happier and so much more confident. I still have over 30 pounds to go, but I am on the right track and moving in the right direction.

The past month or so, it has been really bothering me that with all the healthier lifestyle changes I have made, I continue to smoke. I smoked a pack a day and my hubby was right there with me. We were spending hundreds of dollars a month and for what?! So, I decided that on April 1st, I would become a non-smoker. It has been one week and it has been a CRAZY one week, but I can say that today I am officially a NON SMOKER!

I quit cold turkey and by Wednesday I thought I was going to kill someone. I dug out Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking that I had bought a couple of years ago and read it through and it helped immensly. I went to the Homeopathic store and got some Smoke Free spray that also seemed to help. Now it has been a week and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! My husband has not stopped smoking yet, but I can tell he is working his way to that place. And he is very respectful of my decision to stop.

The worst part of this story is that I was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago. I went through surgery and 7 weeks of radiation and then started back up with my smoking when I was done. To be honest, I only back burnered my smoking during radiation. I still snuck some in here and there. I am ashamed of myself but I understand that I was addicted to nicotine.

Today, one week nicotine free I am feeling really good. NO coughing, no shortness of breath and my allergies are improved. I don't stink of cigarettes anymore, and my clothes and car smell good! I am really happy with myself and my decision to stop my addiction to smoking. I am confident that I will NEVER smoke again!! Hurrah!!!
bethany66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
Congratulations! I am trying to take that leap also. It is very inspiring to read your post. Keep it up!
fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
Congratulations on your huge step to better health!
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
That is great! Had you read Allan Carr before?
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I bought the book several years ago and read a portion and then set it down. I guess I really wasn't ready to give it up then. This time reading it was all new and it really spoke to me and encouraged me to make the leap. It is written as a "plan your quit day" kind of thing and I had already stopped for a few days when I picked it up, and I tried to rationalize smoking again until the date I wanted to set in my head, but I realized I would have to relive those 3 days again and I wasn't willing to go there!! It really helped me and even today, almost 10 days later I say "YIPPEE, I'm a NONSMOKER!!" to myself throughout the day!!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Atkin's Ongoing Weight Loss
Start Date: 7/28/2013
Congratulations! I quit January 10th and am really enjoying the benefits of not smoking. Allen Carr's book was one of the books that helped me also. The hardest part is behind us as long as we never take another puff.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

2 weeks smoke free!!

I have made it two weeks smoke free now. I think I have made it through the woods. I am enjoying a smoke free life. No more worries about having cigarettes with me or not. No more smelly clothes and hair!! I am really enjoying the non-smoking life!! It is very LIBERATING!!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Well done Bethany.
Carr's book on quitting drinking was the one that did the trick for me.
With that one, too, I think your head and heart have to be ready.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I agree, you have to be ready. I so want my hubby to be ready. I have left the book on the dining table, just hoping he would pick it up. No such luck. He isn't ready yet. I will in no way pressure him, because that just makes him dig his heels in further. But dang, he is STINKY!!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
Great job! My son has been smoke free for a month now! I'm so proud of him! I know how hard it can be....but you are right ....your head must be in it
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: longtea
Great for you!!!.. I have also stoped smoking its been a week . im doing low carb diet and triying to get my life together so im happy for you.. keep it up
longtea is offline   Reply With Quote