Has anyone tried this program?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I have a patient who has done this program. For some it is too rigid, others feel that it has saved them. My patient is in the latter category.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Am I a Food Addict?
To find out, answer the following questions as honestly as you can.

Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn't? Yes
Do you think about food or your weight constantly? Yes
Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success? Yes
Do you binge and then "get rid of the binge" through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging? No
Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people? Yes
Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about your eating habits or weight? Yes
Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)? Yes
Is your weight problem due to your "nibbling" all day long? No
Do you eat to escape from your feelings? No
Do you eat when you're not hungry? Yes
Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later? Yes
Do you eat in secret? Yes
Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake? Sometimes
Have you ever stolen other people's food? No
Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have "enough"? No
Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight? No
Do you obsessively calculate the calories you've burned against the calories you've eaten? No
Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you've eaten? Yes
Are you waiting for your life to begin "when you lose the weight"? No
Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?Yes

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you may be a food addict. You are not alone. FA

Wow! Guess I failed that test. It does appear that the eating plan is rigid, but am wondering what kind of support system is involved.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the support is wonderful. My patient has a sponsor who she speaks to every day.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Does anyone know if you have to follow their food program?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes you do. The other alternative is to go to overeaters anonymous--no food plan there--but lots of support
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
yes you do. The other alternative is to go to overeaters anonymous--no food plan there--but lots of support
Thank you.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anniebook diva
Stats: 258/174/140
WOE: TOPS LC
Start Date: TOPS2009
Hi
I have purchased literature from the 12 step programs trying to understand why I binge. FAA has a great pamphlet that taught me allot
Understanding food addiction and why abstinance is necessary by R. Sue Roselle

It is so hard to find a local meeting for some of these groups. OA seems to have the most meetings.
I love Lifeline magazine(OA) and Grapevine (AA) also;I can relate to many of the stories. I just substitute food for different words . these magazines are digest size so i can carry them with me. I put one on my passenger side seat in the car to keep me from going to fast food and going thru the drive up.

I hope this helps you Jeanie

Annie
Anniebook diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Annie. I have found a few groups in my area but haven't committed myself to joining yet. I did try an OA meeting a while back that didn't click with me but have since found that they have another group that I may try.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I found a 12 step group that was for carb sensitive people about 10 years ago and it saved my life - GSA. I get a sponsor, found her on this website. Call her every day and love my food
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Mary
I need help for sure but I don't know if GS would work for me. I can't see myself going from my current out of control eating/binging state to calling a sponsor every day. Does calling the sponsor somehow make you more likely to stick the plan?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

I find that calling my sponsor helps me stay accountable. When I am having a rough situation in my life, she listens. When I went through a period of not calling anyone, I found in no time at all, I was back in food hell. The GSA group has information on their website about the phone meetings, 24/7, and we find they are an important part of it. We all use the same GS foodplan, but each sponsor may have optional items that can be used in addition to the basic plan. The first few days are an adjustment, but even if you were detoxing from sugar and grain here on Atkins, you would feel some discomfort the first few days while the toxin sugar leaves your body. The last time I started, my sponsor helped me meal by meal for the first three days until I felt a rhythm returning. This LCF website was tremendously helpful but I needed more structure and personal contact, and I found it with GS. The same quest´ons above are used by all the 12 step compulsive eating groups. The support network might be slightly different. I have some beautiful meals and they are healthy. When I went to the doctor this past week with TMJ, I had never met the PA that saw me. She kept looking at me and with an amazed look on her face and said, "you look really good." I told her I felt really good except for my sore jaw. I wasn't able to chew my salad. I have been useing the blender this week after getting tired of really soft food. It is starting to feel better. But in the end, I worked with my sponsor through the whole ordeal and didn't pick up the crap that would have made me feel really ill. I have managed to take off my weight and keep it off. I stay away from sugar, grain and alcohol, eat 3 meals a day and don't eat between meals except for no calorie drinks. I weigh and measure my portions with a kitchen scale as opposed to cupping because I get more and am still accountable. We can have very rich meals or light meals depending on the protein chosen. I do work the steps but in the beginning focused on getting the rhythm of the plan down so that I had at least one constant going on. Reading the big book helped, changing the work alcohol to food and alcoholic to compulsive overeater. Hope this info helps.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Is coffee allowed? What would be the first step in doing GS? I see there are no groups close to me.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Do you have to attend meetings ?
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Nobody has to do anything. We do it because we want to recover from the disease of food addiction. It is a "we" program not an "I" program. I am sure many do it without meetings but then it is just another diet. I do my part and the rest is up to God. I learn how others integrated this into their lives, how they learned from their mistakes. We share what we have received so we can keep it fresh. Even thiugh I repeated my poor choices over and over again throughout my life when it comes to food, for some odd reason I entertain the notion that it will be different next time. That's the insanity. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got...unless you change something.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I listened in on two meetings. I have to say I sat with a lump in my throat.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Mary
How can I get a low carb sponsor? Most of my emails go unanswered. I was also wondering how you handle vacations. I don't think I would be comfortable calling my sponsor while on vacation with my husband in the room. Maybe I would but I don't know.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

On vacations, I normally drop postcards in the mail, one each day. Or, Occasionally, an email. I understand the phone problem...when you ind a sponsor, just ask them.
Did you leave your phone number in the email?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi jeannie, I know Linda from the Beginner's meeting. She is very supportive. Keep calling and listening. People who can sponsor will give their phone numbers out at the meetings.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

When I listened to the beginners meeting yesterday there were no sponsor offers made at the end of the call. I joined the yahoo group which stated that you could request a sponsor that way but I haven't been approved yet. Will some sponsors not support low carb?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope your day went well.

I drove into Boston today to get the pre-surgery workup. It took 3+ hours and I worked from hime today. I was zooming home about 40 miles and got to my desk at 11:15 am on the nose, that's my start time.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

I listened in on another beginner meeting tonight. I can relate to most of the speakers. One caller confused me though she said something about GS not being a step program and that she liked that? I did write down a sponsors number but haven't decided for sure if I will commit or not. I am lost at the lingo? What is mute/unmute, taking your seat and what is that number the caller states when speaking?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Mute means you can make it so no one can hear background noise in our home. Unmute will let you be heard if you want to share something.

I don't know what the caller meant about it not being a step program because it is a 12 step program. Many times, a caller who speaks or shares will give out the first six digits of their phone number so that the person who is moderating the lines knows who is speaking. Occasionaly they might get background noise on the line from someone(s) who isn't muted and the moderator can mute the line if there is static. It is a way to clear out the static.

The phrase taking yor seat I am unsure of. If I heard it in context, I might know.

Let me know if there are otherquestions.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope evreryone is doing well one day ata time. Tminus 24 hours until we leave for the hospital. I pray God brings me peace of mind and gratitude for the blessings

Keep trying ..with whatever you was to do.