Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Doing much better this week than last.
I managed to dodge the bullet, and SO glad I didn't cave.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #242
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I'm very proud of you Bella. You still doing ok?

Friday will be 3 months without alcohol or cigars. I cannot believe I haven't smoked a cigar in that long. I just cannot. I'm not coughing all the time and I can breathe. That was the main part I hated, the breathing. Besides my clothes and car always smelling like smoke.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Hi everyone! I'm new to this link, have been on the diabetes and main low carb links since the first of the year and just ventured into this one this morning. A little about myself: I've actually been an active member of AA for the past 18 years (one day at a time). Love the women's meetings and all my new found friends i've made over the years. I have an addictive/compulsive personality so am constantly on alert for triggers. HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. I use this tool in regards to alcohol, sugar, shopping, smoking, etc...

I was diagnosed in December with pre-diabetes, hence the new low carb way of living. Giving up sugar and grains was easy for the first 3 months but since my last Dr. visit it's been a little harder to stay on the path. I know I definitely feel better when staying true to the LC eating so I just try my best one day at a time. Another part of my life's journey.

Thanks for being here! It's great to have support systems so we don't feel like we are on this path alone.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: time2change
Stats: 5'2 172/hoping for 110
WOE: JUDDD ???
Start Date: April 2014
I would love to join the challenge. I've been an almost daily drinker for 12 years and just don't want to and can't if I ever hope to get my weight under control. I stopped smoking on December 21 and now am tackling other vices. Today is day three for me. I have barely slept in two nights but I know that will go away soon. Hope all is well with everyone.
time2change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #245
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to have you guys.

It's a really hard road and I still struggle every day. I know I will drink again but the thought scares me right now. It was so hard for me to stop this time so I could get in weight loss mode.

I have only lost 30lbs in the three months (btw my 3 month mark alcohol free was last Friday, I have just been so busy with work I haven't had time to come post). I was hoping it would be more.

Time2change-I also stopped smoking when I stopped drinking. That seemed harder than stopping drinking. I used to say I had to drink so I could sleep. It was an excuse. I learned how to make myself go to sleep and now it's not as hard. IT will get better, I promise.

It's nice to have some new faces around here. For so many years I felt like I dealt with this struggle alone on these boards. There was never a place I could come and just talk about my real struggles, which has always been alcohol. I'm so greatful to have this little thread.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: time2change
Stats: 5'2 172/hoping for 110
WOE: JUDDD ???
Start Date: April 2014
Last night I had a chance to drink and didn't! That makes four days. The diet is helping. Following stillmans and tested and I'm deep in ketosis. Alcohol will kill that so I want to be thin more then I want a drink. My boyfriend is helping by acting like I quit months ago. He's like "You want a drink? You don't drink..."
The lady from whole 9 said it best... Hard? Having cancer is hard .... Drinking your coffee black is. Not hard!!! I'm applying that to everything. Perspective.
time2change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job time2change!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Just returned from two weeks of travel. I did ok the first week but did drink twice the second week. Darn! Good news is that I am into my second week without drinking . . . but need to reset my calendar. I went off my WOE some the second week, too. Not terribly (and no weight gain, thankfully). I am very relieved to be back to being able to attend more to what goes into my mouth!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #249
Big Yapper!!!!

How are you guys doing?

I'm still going here.

I really needed some support last night, not against drinking, but just some support, and I didn't know where to turn, I don't know why I didn't come here.

First, let me start by mentioning I've had a history of mental/emotional difficulties. I was always depressed my whole adult life. I've tried to commit suicide multiple times (we're talking 4+ years ago) and I used to be a cutter. I've made huge strides in this area, especially after going on my thyroid medication a couple months after starting LC. It's still a struggle for me sometimes, but not every day like it used to be.

Well bf kept pushing me and kept pushing me last night, and sometimes I don't think he realizes his tone, he will be yelling but he doesn't think he is, and he said something that hurt my feelings a lot, and I lost it on him and flipped out. I told him if he didn't like me the way I am then get out. I went from 0-50 in a split second. I haven't lost it like that in a long time. A lot of it stems from my best friend and I getting into it last week, that's a whole other story, but basically I always thought she got me 100% and was my other half, and with one joking comment, everything flipped and she turned on me. So to me, my bf was doing the same thing last night wanting to change me.

I've also just been trying to be an overall better, calmer, more patient person, as these are huge flaws for me. It's just a really lot of stuff all at once, made the perfect storm, and I lost it.

Well he walked out, his car is in the shop so he just started walking trying to find a ride, and he said some other hurtful things. I told him I was having a difficult time (conflict within myself) and he said I always use that as an excuse when I do something to hurt him. I told him he was just like everyone else in my life and didn't understand me and no one apparently does, or will ever, and I just feel very alone.

He left. His mom came and got him. I cried all night and those bad thoughts started piling in my head, but instead of drinking, cutting, or something worse, I just went to sleep. But I have no one else to talk to. No one gets me. I'm very complicated. I'm very morbid. I can't help it that's just me. But apparently no one in this world likes me the way I am. Those kind of self loathing thoughts, with my already high insecurities, really are doing a number on me.

So I just wanted to come here. And "talk about it" even if I'm just writing it out to myself and no one is listening.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

I am listening Michelle, but I agree it can be good just to write things out.
I am guessing with a little "space" things won't seem quite so bad.
I know how emotions can add up so that one seemingly little thing can trigger a big reaction. Your response . . . just crying and sleeping . . . instead of something more destructive is commendable. You are fine the way you are . . . now you need to work on believing that. Sending you some love this morning.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Bella.

I'm just trying to get through the day. That's my only goal for today.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

How are you feeling today Michelle?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #253
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm feeling better (emotionally and mentally) this morning. We talked about things and he came home last night and we had a good night. I just always try to tell myself thing may look different the next day and that keeps me from doing harsh irrational things, well, this time it did. I never had that mindset before.

It makes me so sad for everyone that commits suicide. I never thought there was any hope, but there really is.

The one that really sticks out to me is Gloria Allamand. I didn't watch The Bachelor, nor did I know her, but her story is just so sad and I know why she felt like there was no hope. She's the one that kept coming into my mind when I was struggling.

On another note, coming up on 4 months no alcohol!!!! I cannot believe it.

How are you doing Bella? And thank you for caring enough to ask how I was.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Oh darn, my nice reply to you just got zapped and disappeared. I'll try again later. Gist of it was -- be proud of yourself!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Things turn brighter, but it's hard to really KNOW that when in the depths.
I am hoping that you feel really proud of yourself for getting through the last couple of days, and you can draw upon that new reserve of strength again when life deals out more crap (hopefully a good while from now!).

I am ok. I did drink a bit at a picnic a couple of weeks ago, and the following Friday night, I drank a bottle of wine! Just because it was in the house. Good reminder that I really can't moderate, that is how I am looking at that experience. It didn't result in cravings, so that is good.

Now you are my role model!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ezckimo
Stats: 180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Long tilme ago, back at it!
I would love to join this thread! I'm new here, how do I do that? No beer tonight yikes please pray for me.
ezckimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #257
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Day 1 for me. I have had problems with alcohol before but now it's even worse. I had weight loss surgery in December. I've lost almost 100 pounds but have been on a 7 or 8 week stall now. It is discouraging and making me crazy. I really think I need to go to AA. I am so ashamed and embarrassed of myself. But it is DAY 1!!!!! I can do this, right?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #258
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Bella. I am doing better now, things have settled down for now. Yes I also cannot normally have alcohol in the house but my bf still drinks and now, 4 months in, I'm to a point it doesn't really bother me much. But now you know, don't have it around! I'm so glad it didn't result in cravings for you. I just hate that taste of "alcohol" in my mouth, which is a craving.

ezckimo-Welcome. Just start posting with us, that's all ya gotta do to join. This thread is an abstinence thread, there was one before we had all started but really it just turned into everyone talking about how they were trying to "moderate" their alcohol, and I couldn't go into the thread without getting cravings, so I started this one, where the goal is abstinence, of course we have our fall backs, which is fine to talk about. That was at the beginning of my 4 months and everything triggered me to want to drink. My drinking had gotten out of control and I couldn't stop. Now that I'm here, I just am terrified to take another sip because I don't want to be out of control like that.

Sorry for the ramble, just trying to catch you and chewiegand up.

Chewie-yes you CAN do this. It will be hard. Hopefully not as hard as it was for me to stop, but after a few weeks it will get easier. I'm not going to lie and say every day gets easier in the beginning, because that would be a lie. Just try to fight through it. I come here when I'm feeling weak or needing support.

Welcome you guys!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #259

Today has been a good day. I have controlled my snacking which was also getting out of hand. I looked up AA meetings and found a women's one that I'm going to call the leader tomorrow about. I left my shame and guilt behind me and feel better. Just one day can make a difference. Day 1 almost over. Woohoo!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job chewie!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #261

Thanks. I feel so much better mentally. I talked to my older ds yesterday about it. I hate to admit it but Sunday night I drank so much that I don't even remember the night after we sang happy birthday to my dad about 8 pm. That is not good. My ds18, almost 19, had some good advice and is very supportive. I hate that he has to even see me like this but maybe he'll learn from it. Enough negative thoughts. I will do this.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #262

3 days down and onto day 4 today. I will admit I was very cranky last night. I felt lost and just had the urge to drink. I did not. I was strong but very crabby about it. I have my exercise class tonight and getting out of my house will help. I think this weekend is going to be very hard. My dh drinks---a lot and we usually do it together so it's going to be tempting. I will be stronger than the temptation. Hope you are all doing well.

I didn't go to that AA meeting. Yesterday was my younger ds's bd and I didn't want to go and take time away from him. Maybe next week.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Great job not caving!
Sometime it can help to divide the weekend into parts, rather than thinking about the whole shebang.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #264
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job chewie, just keep going!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Some creepy drinky thoughts have been in my head this week.
But I've been able to have a conversation with myself each time and not drink.
I wonder why some days/weeks are more challenging than others? My best shot at answering my own question is that it usually has to do with having to deal with some kind of conflict. Also I sometimes fall into the trap of entitlement . . . that somehow I deserve some relief for bad feelings (but also at time for good feelings). So wrapped up in my emotions/anxiety. Never any regrets the next day about not drinking!

Great Friday everyone!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Some creepy drinky thoughts have been in my head this week.
But I've been able to have a conversation with myself each time and not drink.
I wonder why some days/weeks are more challenging than others? My best shot at answering my own question is that it usually has to do with having to deal with some kind of conflict. Also I sometimes fall into the trap of entitlement . . . that somehow I deserve some relief for bad feelings (but also at time for good feelings). So wrapped up in my emotions/anxiety. Never any regrets the next day about not drinking!

Great Friday everyone!
Hugs. Keep staying strong. I made it through 5 days and Friday night too.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

That's fantastic Chewey.

My head seems to be in a better place . . . . probably because I get three days off work.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #268

Hi friends. New low for me===finally losing again, 98 lbs down. Woohoo. AND even bigger, no alcohol for 6 days!!!! I truly believe the alcohol was a big part of my stall. Even more reason to stop drinking.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

More good news, eh, Chewie?! Very motivating.

I dropped a pound, too, nice way to start a new month.
No cravings for food or drink.
No complaints here.

Stay strong everyone.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #270

Yahoo, Bella. Good job!!!!