Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #211
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I had plenty of times when weight loss was slow or non-existence, but so long as I stayed the course, I knew it would eventually drop a bit more. I felt I didn't want a diet, I wanted it to become the way I eat and live.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Fell off the wagon as ar as alcohol goes, but hoping to get back on again tomorrow. Kind of discouraged that I had been alcohol free and totally compliant with Atkins induction for 6 weeks and only lost 3 pounds. One would think that 3000 calories less a day in alcohol alone would have helped a bit with the weight loss, not to mention low carb on top of it. I'm really discouraged this evening. Dr. just prescribed Naltrexone this morning. Going to try it tomorrow, as I am out of town tonight.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You've had a pretty good run, Scintillady. Do you best to get back on the wagon sooner than later, especially if you find that drinking leads to cravings for more. My own view is that six weeks is not long enough for some bodies to adjust to low carb and no alcohol, but as you know there is huge variability amongst us. At my age (60+), I'd be happy with three pounds in 6 weeks, because the alternative for me is no loss at all or gaining. But we each have to find our own way and my path has been crooked and winding for sure. You are sure to learn more about yourself as your journey continued and I believet that self knowledge can only be good.
Hugs.

What is naltrexone?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #214
Blabbermouth!!!

Is the naltexone to help with the cravings for alcohol?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Is the naltexone to help with the cravings for alcohol?
Yes, the naltrexone is supposed to help alcohol cravings.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #216
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Glad you're back scintillady.

I'm still af here. It does get easier with time but things have been rough the past couple weeks and I really would like to drink. But I haven't.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you, Michelle. Stay strong!
Some times do pull me in, sort of wearing me down. Often its when I am physically or psychologically tired without some time of respite or escape.
The other thing I notice is sometimes how a craving (or yearning) can seemingly come out of nowhere. I am sure there is ususally some triggering memory or event, but sometimes they just seem to hit me unawares. I am better now at dismissing them, as they are shortlived and I recognize them for what they are. But I am surprised by their appearance.

Mulitple hard days in a row (I think this is what you are speaking of) are very much more difficult, but I've come in large part to understand in some part of my mixed up head that drinking will only make matters worse. I will not only not feel better by the promised relief of a drink, but it will also undermine my efforts to weight loss -- which I've invested a lot in over the past three months.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

I'm in the same boat with everyone else that says if they start they can't stop. I was alcohol free for 4 weeks, then I thought I could have an occasional glass of wine. I bought those individual bottles, then graduated to the boxes that hold 3 glasses, then a bottle, then up to a box, which holds 4 bottles. I tried vodka, which I never drink, because I figured it was cheaper in the long run if I only had one drink a day. The problem is that whatever I bring into the house, in any amount, gets finished. I am back to abstinence. I think that is the only way I can do it, unfortunately, because I really enjoy sitting out by the pool on a nice day with a book and some wine. I also got put on naltrexone, which is supposed to help with alcohol cravings. I don't know if it's working yet, only been on it a few days. If not, I may see if my doctor would prescribe antabuse. Luckily, I don't like beer, as my BF has been on a spree for the last 3 days of drinking quite a bit of beer. He rarely overindulges, but he's on vacation, and I guess he is in party mode.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #219
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome back, Scintillady!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, scinti, the little bottle strategy is one I've tried (and of course didn't work, duh!).
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Yep, scinti, the little bottle strategy is one I've tried (and of course didn't work, duh!).
Since I have the means and the free will to go get another, I don't know why I thought it would work, either! Don't know if the naltrexone is working or not, or it's just me being stronger, but BF is out of town for the week with the kids, and nobody home to answer to. Could have drank last night and nobody would have been the wiser, but I didn't. Now if I can get through the 4th with his family in Cape Cod (sister is quite the drinker) I'll have done well.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #222
Blabbermouth!!!

Scinti, do you have to go to the outing on the Cape or can you pass this year until you feel stronger around the substances?

Hubby just went back to the hospital. They are transporting him back to the hospital that did the surgery. The drain is still oozing and he has an irregular heart beat. Say a prayer.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Scinti, do you have to go to the outing on the Cape or can you pass this year until you feel stronger around the substances?

Hubby just went back to the hospital. They are transporting him back to the hospital that did the surgery. The drain is still oozing and he has an irregular heart beat. Say a prayer.
Well, I guess plans have changed and I'm not going after all, so I won't worry about it. I don't have to drive 3 hours each way, but unfortunately now I'm going to be home alone and feeling sorry for myself. This morning I was so upset that normally I would be drinking after work tonight, but I am pretty sure I won't. I get out at 10 PM, and since nobody is home, there's nobody there to tell me not to or to know that I'm backsliding. I think the naltrexone is working, and I don't know if it's physical or all in my mind, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as I am not craving alcohol. Sending good wishes for your hubby!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #224
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hummingbird
Stats: 127/127/103
Start Date: May 2012
I quit drinking on Tuesday 6/25. I have not had a drop since. DH went into Rehab on the same day. My DT's are over with and I look and feel much better, plus the weight is coming down. I spent 2 hours in the sauna on Wednesday as withdrawals were awful and that helped get me a great deal.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you, Hummingbird! Nice to have you join our thread.

Mary, you sure have had a string of stressors . . . amazing how well you cope.
How are things going today?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #226
Blabbermouth!!!

We are still here. He is off painkillers. After lots of tests, they will probably be giving him something to regulate the heartbeat. Clots can form with an irregular heartbeat and because he doesn't have a history of HBP, diabetes and stroke, he most likely won't need blood thinners. God is good!

I packed up my food before starting out yesterday. I am staying at the hostel again. I have a frig, stove and microwave and a house filled with folks in far more tragic circumstances. I have heard some heartwarming love stories from some of the older folks whose spouses are here for surgeries or treatments.

Luckily this is a holiday weekend and I had already planned vacation days from work.

Thank you all for the prayers.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Mary....glad things are going better...you have such a great attitude about things.
sarahatl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #228
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm glad to see you guys. I will be praying for your sobriety. I'm almost 2 months alcohol free on the 9th. I don't like saying "sober" and "alcoholic" and things like that because I do know I will drink again. I'm just trying to go as long as I can without it. One day at a time. Trying to get this weight off. Just taking everything a day at a time.

Mary I'm glad he's feeling better.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Is eliminating the alchohol helping with you weight loss?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #230
Blabbermouth!!!

It helped mine. I have been alcohol free since Oct 23, 2003.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #231
Big Yapper!!!!

Absolutely. I cannot lose weight when drinking. And when I drink I drink every day. Drinking helped in me gaining back 50 lbs of the almost 200 I lost. I had to eliminate alcohol and get a grip before I gained too much more.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #232
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sher70
Good morning! I am new to this forum but not to the LC lifestyle. Alcohol is definitely a problem for me as well. I was sober for 2.5 years and got down to my goal weight but then my husbands job was eliminated(no notice) and that was enough to send me over the edge! In the 3 years since I've gained 52 lbs and am at my all time highest 202. So glad to have found this group & look forward to some great advice & encouragement!
sher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Sher!

Being alcohol free has certainly helped me in my weight loss along with being sugar and grain free.

I noticed I feel stuff when I am nit numbing myself with too much food or booze. If I feel it now, I go through it now, and I can move on to the next right action. I write lots about what I am feeling to help sort out stuff.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Hi sher, welcome to our little thread. Your story sounds similar to mine. I gave it up for a couple of years without a drop, but it gradually slipped back in my life. Last winter was the worst. I reached my all time high weight. I found out once I made up my mind that I couldn't drink and lose weight, it was pretty easy to get back on the wagon, so to speak. I am losing weight gradually, slow but definite loss. I simply couldn't be doing this while drinking wine (even the occasional beer). Some days my thoughts go to a drink, but not often and I typically recognize the trap now. I am the sort that can drink one glass but really not enjoy it that much. I want the buzz. So one glass is not something that I aspire to. Easier not to have any.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

I had my biggest craving for alcohol this week since cutting it out completely in March.
Why? I think because a whole pile of stuff needing to done asap at work, and feeling deprived that while everyone else is one vacation, I am working like a dog (not that my dog does any work). Feel stronger this morning, but I know my mood seems to naturally plummet as the day progresses. Feel better just posting this. At least I was aware enough to recognize the craving and to understand that if I bought a bottle of wine I would end up drinking the whole thing and just have to start over.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #236
Big Yapper!!!!

So Sorry Bella. At least you made it through it.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, M. Hit me again this afternoon, but I am over it now. I think I was feeling just a little bit "lighter" and decided I didn't want to lose ground.
How are you doing?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #238
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm still going Bella. 8-9 will be three months AF.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling stronger today, so appears I have survived to fight another day.

Good to hear about your continued success, Michelle.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #240
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope you are still doing well Bella.

It's been a struggle some days, but all I can think about is how hard it was to stop this time and that has kept me from drinking so far.