Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The wine was undermining my low carb efforts, too.
I haven't missed it yet!
It's so not worth it.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/??/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
not missing it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
The wine was undermining my low carb efforts, too.
I haven't missed it yet!
It's so not worth it.
I agree, it's not worth it. Even if I crave it, which I amazingly haven't yet, I know I can never drink again, and that is that. I was amazed that after all I've put my poor liver through all those years, that it was only "slightly" inflamed, and the doctor said it would recover completely as long as I quit drinking.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Scintillady, A cup of dandelion tea before retiring will help your liver heal. It tastes like black tea without the caffeine. My naturopathic md doctor recommended to us.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Not been doing well. Back to day 1 for me today. But I'm here fighting the good fight.

Scintillady I'm so proud of you and Im really glad you are here with us. I'm so thankful I have this board to come to and I can be totally honest about what's going on.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

That's too bad Michelle, I know how hard you are working on this. You are doing absolutely the right thing, just gett back on plan. That's what we have to keep doing, just keeping on keeping on. Try to learn what you can learn about what happened, but don't beat yourself up as that doesn't lead us to anyplace good.

Scintillady and others, I have heard that milk thistle is also good for restoring the liver.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

How ya all doing at weeks end?
I had one flitting thought about drinking run through my head, but it didn't park.
So far so good.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello all, had a good week, seeing my doctor tomorrow. For mother's day, DD is making me the cauliflower pizza. She asked and that is what I wanted to try.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

day 11 of sobriety. So far so good. The 2 day hospitalization was the best thing I ever did. Life is looking up.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

That is fantastic progress.
I am plodding along like a turtle. Going forward, not backward.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

I went home yesterday because I had a doctor's appt. i was away from my DD for 11 hrs - 8 am to 7 pm. She worked like a beaver decorating her house. When I returned, her speech was slurred. She apparently had downed a pint of vodka from 3 pm to 7 pm. I smelled it when I kissed her goodnight. She woke up around 5 am and crawled into the double bed I was sleeping in. I got up and made breakfast around 8 am and worked on a jugsaw puzzle. She fell asleep again and at 10 I said hiw long will it take for you to sleep this off? She went to bed and is still sleeping. I feel like crying. She kept saying, I can't believe how quicky it hit her. I asked her how much did she drink. She said a small bottle. I asked why? She said she was grieving over her Aunt's death. I said we all miss her but if her death helps to save one person, then the purpose if her life is fulfilled. I said this can kill you and I don't want you to die. I love you.

I am going to try and get her to an AA meeting. I may start going to Al-Anon because I need help too.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #161
Big Yapper!!!!

Doing well here after a horrible binge Thursday night. AF since.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

I went to the AA mtg for me Sunday night and this morning. I reached out and called a trusted friend. I will not eat or drink over this no matter what. I believe and was reminded today that Gid has a plan for each of us and HisHer plan is not my plan. I can only change my life and my circumstances.

I am going to the beach for a walk this afternoon. I have no appetite but will eat 3 meals no matter what.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

What a dreadful thing to happen, Mary.
Has she had drinking issues before, or did this come as a complete surprise?
Good for you for remaining steadfast, it's really an appropriate response.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

She has been battling ths since 15 yrs old. She had 8 yrs sobriety and picked up when her grandfather died 7 yrs ago. Her bf broke up with her again this weekend. She hasn't had a drink in 2 days. We went to an AA mtg tonight. She got a sponsor. Then something happened on the way home and she started behaving differently. I almost took her to the hospital. I hope I did the right thing by not going. She is sleeping now. She has a final exam in the am that I don't think she will take. Time will tell. I am looking for an Alanon mtg. Please say some prayers for her.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

I will Mary, for both of you.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Keeping you both in my thoughts Mary.

As for myself, doing well and feeling pretty darn good. I feel like I'm starting to slim down a bit finally.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

That's great to hear, Michelle. I am feeling slimmer too. I am not losing fast, but I am losing and I am ok with that trend line. I am not struggling with no drinking right now which helps a lot.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Today is my 15th day alcohol free. Two nights ago, if I had still been drinking, would have been a 2 bottle of wine night. Mad at my BF. Still am, but will get through it. Lost some weight but don't know how much because I hate to weigh myself. I'd rather go by what I feel, and then weigh when I'm positive that I have lost some.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

When she got up, she seemed ok. Then an hour later, she started acting wierd again. She swore she hadn't been drinking or drugging. So when I was at my wits end, I made her get in the car and go to the hospital. She hated me and called me every name in the book. Turns out she registered 300+ on the scale for alcohol in the blood. Anything over 80 is considered intoxicated. They said she just has to sleep it off. I brout the lady she met at the AA mtg last night with me. What a saint! She gave me some good advice and told me to keep it in the present. Tell her she has choices. She needs to grow up and take responsibility for her actions. Because she lied to me, I didn't know she was drunk. Had I known, I might not have taken her to the hospital. She is being offered a detox program at a local facility. It is there if she wants to get sober and learn to stay sober. It is her decision. I was so scared for her this morning. I thought she was going crazy. Thank you for your prayers. Still need them. I will be picking her up either at 4 pm so she can go to a meeting or later tonight. They said that she should be able to go after 7 pm.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #170
Big Yapper!!!!

I hope things are going well Mary.

I'm still AF here. Yesterday I had a small little "taste" in my mouth for alcohol but it quickly went away, I'm so glad. I'm just trying to not even think about alcohol at all and keep my eye on the prize (losing weight). I think I had such a hard time getting back on track because I didn't have a scale. My scale keeps me accountable.

Funny thing, I popped over to the other thread, the other alcohol challenge thread just to see why no one had posted in about a week, I haven't stepped foot in there, and immediately I was triggered in my head. I jumped out and came back here so fast my head spun lol. I cannot go back right now. Just can't think about alcohol at all.

Last edited by MsWoods; 05-16-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Way to go, Michelle!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, Michelle, keep your eye on the prize.
Good recognizing the trigger. Your instincts were just right in setting up this thread.

Mary, how's the daughter? How are you holding up?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

I picked her up last night and brought her home where she continued to sleep it off. I told her last night that I was going home Thursday morning which I did. She basically told meto not return anytme soon. I tokd her that's not a problem. She is still detoxing and refused to go to a detox center. She did go to an AA mtg this afternoon and called her sponsor. She took one final exam thhis morning and has one more tomorrow. I told her if she wants to be responsible, the be responsible for the final exams and take them. Complete something instead of running away from it.

She is real shaky and said she never wants to go back to the hospital so I told her then all she has to do is stay sober, go to meetings, talk to her sponsor, network and pray. I gave her a business card of a group that can help her find housing if she ends up homeless. Today was a day for tough love because nothing else worked. I am getting out of her way and letting her figure it out. The stories I heard of people who lost everything (home, famiky, kids, job, money, etc) because of booze would break your heart, but I realized that may be what has to happen for my DD to either get with the program or not. I am going to take care of myself and I am AF and binge free and with God's help, will stay that way. I can be a role model that this kind of care works. Please keep praying.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
This has become my confession place. I haven had a drink for a few weeks, but decided to have a few one night, which turned into have a few 2 nights and the 'reward' was stalled and my histamine going nuts. 4 days of clean eating and drinking water like theres going to be a drought, and I think I've flushed it all out.

It wasnt worth it.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

Good goin' lilbeetle!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

I hope your daughter decides to get into a detox program. that was the only thing that worked for me. no, it wasn't fun, but hard work rarely is. As I said before, while I was in there I realized how fortunate I am, compared to most of the others in there. A lot of them had nothing going for them, had hit rock bottom. Luckily I still have my job, my health and my dear supportive boyfriend. He has stopped drinking also, although he never drank to excess like I did. This morning he said "Being clear-headed is my new drug of choice". I have been AF for 18 days, which may not seem like much to most people, but it is the longest in my adult life I can remember without drinking, and I'm 56. The only time I have a little bit of an urge for wine is when it's a beautiful day like today and I want to sit out by the pool with a book and a glass of wine. I miss that but I'll survive!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

You are doing so great, Scin!
The warm luxuriously weather can give me pause too, as my thoughts filit to sitting on the patio and sipping some wine and watchging/listening to the birds.
I think I associated drink with peaks and lows.
The goal is for me not to moderate the emotional highs or lows with drink.
And talk about turning a high into a low . . . that's what would happen.
It's good to be a place where I can reason with myself about it.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

I went away on a retreat Friday to be with other people who do the same food plan I do. It is great watching all of us weighing and measuring our food. The menu has been spectacular. Beautiful vegetables at lunch and dinner, buffet salad, roast pork at lunch and roast beef at suffer. There were foods for vegetarians and vegans. Breakfast held an array of eggs, sausage, yogurt, cheese and hard boiled eggs along with lots of colorful fresh fruit....all alcohol free.

We heard inspring stories of the 12 promises of the program. I saw people who lost 100+ pounds and anorexics and bulemics who are in recovery. I feel very blessed. Many of us have dual addictions of food and alcohol.

My daughter last I spoke with her was planning on going to another AA mtg and calling her sponsor. If she follows through, she will have day 4 by the time I come home. I pray she is all right and that God is watching over her. I have been adivsed to keep comversations in the present and not rehash the past, talk of consequences of her current choices and that if she works it, the promises will come true for her too. If she does drink again, she knows the next step is a detox and rehab facility. You can not force someone to go, they have to be willing ir it doesn't work anyway.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Mary, it sounds like you've done what you can for your daughter, for now.
She now has to make the choice. You can hope and pray for her to make good choices, but it's out of your hands for now.

The retreat sounds wonderful.

I am on track with my plan. No alcohol cravings and food is moderating too.
I feel optimistic this morning . . . of course I AM a morning person. Plus we got a nice rain last night, so I don't have to water outside, just watch the grass/weeds grow.

Great day everyone, let's all be strong.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm still feeling really good here. If I'm counting correctly, I'm on a solid day 11 AF. That's the longest I've been since last summer. I'm feeling great and trying not to think about alcohol. The longer I go the stronger I feel.