Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/192/160?
WOE: LCHF
We had our walk-through on our new house today. Plus several appointments...contractors, escrow papers, blinds and more while we were there, and a long drive home. I was tired and thirsty. A glass of wine sounded so refreshing...cold chardonnay...but that's the worst thing you can drink, I think, for blood sugar spikes. Club soda with lime tastes good, too. I love the fizz.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
White wine does a number on me more than red, that I know.

The fizz hit can be satisfying.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

I came really close to caving and having a drink last night.
The good news is that I didn't but the craving was a whopper.
Totally down to an emotionally draining day and what was apparent to me was that I was craving relief.

p.s. Tomorrow I am four weeks past my red wine blip. I am traveling over a long weekend.
I have planned my food so I fairly confident that I will not go off the rails.

I should say fully confident, but after yesterday I can only go as far as fairly.

Be strong everyone. I'll catch up with you next week.

Last edited by Patience; 06-26-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Well, it's been a long time since I've been doing low carb, and the scale certainly reflects that. I was in a catch-22 for awhile. I knew that going low carb was pointless if I was drinking a lot of wine every day, so I never started low carb again. This made me more depressed and that in turn made me want to drink more, etc. I went to detox a year ago in May, was off alcohol for about 6 weeks, then gradually went right back to it. I'm an alcoholic, and the extra wine calories were not doing much for my weight either. Through the use of pharmaceuticals (antabuse), which I finally convinced my doctor to prescribe 43 days ago, I am now 43 days alcohol free. As long as I don't stop taking the medication, I know drinking is out of the question, which takes a lot of the burden off me to decide whether I am going to drink or not. Taking this medication and drinking while on it can be life-threatening. As suggested on a recovery forum I belong to, I have been giving myself permission to indulge the cravings for food that are taking the place of the cravings for alcohol for a short period of time, until I get used to being sober. That has resulted in me being at the highest weight I have ever recorded, 200 lbs. (the day before I delivered my daughter over 30 years ago, I tipped the scale at 152, and I thought that was bad!) One would think that cutting over 3000 calories per day by not drinking wine would be a start at losing some of the weight, but I guess I made up for it by eating all the carby crap I wanted. So now that I am firmly into not drinking, I am starting the low carb way of eating again as of today. Couldn't do both at the same time. Next step is to clean out my fridge, and since I recently started living by myself again, it should be easier to make sure I have no forbidden foods. My biggest downfall is the fact that I am in charge of cooking, shopping, and menu planning for a group home of 8 schizophrenic adults, and we always have all kinds of snacks, desserts, and high carb meals on hand, and I am urged to eat with the clients. Quitting drinking was hard, and dieting will be hard, but I have no doubt that eventually I can do it. I need to try to look decent in a year or so in order to face my ex-husband at my daughter's wedding next year. He was always critical of my weight and always put me down for it and told me he wasn't attracted to me because of it even when I was married to him and weighed 60 pounds less than I do now, so I would never allow myself to be seen by him in the shape I am now.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Just like everything else in life, it's one step at a time. Keep your eyes on the prize. Best wishes to you on your journey.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #576
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I came really close to caving and having a drink last night.
The good news is that I didn't but the craving was a whopper.
Totally down to an emotionally draining day and what was apparent to me was that I was craving relief.

p.s. Tomorrow I am four weeks past my red wine blip. I am traveling over a long weekend.
I have planned my food so I fairly confident that I will not go off the rails.

I should say fully confident, but after yesterday I can only go as far as fairly.

Be strong everyone. I'll catch up with you next week.
Good for you Patience, you get a GOLD STAR! Excellent!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Rye, I am still holding firm.

How are you doing? Others?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Scinti, I just read your post. It does make sense to tackle the biggest problem first. For you, it sounds like that is alcohol. That's been my priority too. In the short term it might indeed be better to eat more than to drink.

Sounds like you are ready to take on food. Good for you! You can drop a lot of weight by next summer. I have had slips, and average only 2 pounds a month, maybe a bit less, but it really adds up, even for an old bird like me.
Keep your eye on the prize; you'll get there one day at a time.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #579
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Add me in!

I need all the help I can get!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #580
Major LCF Poster!

Join in by all means, LJB!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in...had several evenings of unabashed wine drinking. For medicinal purposes, honestly. Even my aches have aches. Sore hips, stiff back... Hard to sleep with that damn streetlight blasting into the bedroom at night, too. But now the creaky old joints are quieting down and the blackout shades are up, so I'm back on serious track again. It was fun while it lasted. Sigh....
Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Ryebaby, life happens!
Are your aches from your move?

I slipped and had a couple of gins and diet tonics last week. I regret it because I KNOW it stalls my weight loss. But no lingering cravings. I've been back on track for better part of a week.

What's that saying: confession makes the heart grow fonder . . . . no, no, that's not it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #583
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: amya
Stats: 265/232/145
Start Date: 07/17/14
scintillady, thank you for posting this. Sometimes it kind of bothers me when people say "you must have an overeating problem". People don't believe me when I tell them that I don't really eat much. The alcohol can pack on pounds big time, a whole lot of calories and carbs (wine and beer). Keep at it, one day at a time. Please post how you're doing, ok?

Your neighbor in NH
amya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

I used to believe I didn't have a "sweet tooth," but in retrospect I see that I was getting my sugar fix from wine (after making what I thought was a smart switch from beer to wine). Some on this thread, I believe MaryMary, referred to alcohol as the "jet fuel of all sugars." I can't drink alcohol and lose weight.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I used to believe I didn't have a "sweet tooth," but in retrospect I see that I was getting my sugar fix from wine (after making what I thought was a smart switch from beer to wine). Some on this thread, I believe MaryMary, referred to alcohol as the "jet fuel of all sugars." I can't drink alcohol and lose weight.

Patience, this is SO TRUE!! I get sugar from wine also. It IS jet fuel! And it doesn't take much to slow down the weight loss and throw your hard-earned ketosis out the window. I have been sneaking a nip here and there also. Gotta cut that crap out.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

I've been successfully avoiding the wine, when in jumps gin and diet tonics.
I thereby violate two of my most important goals: avoid alcohol and avoid artificial sweeteners. Anyway, none left in the house, I poured some down the drain. Alcohol does stall my weight loss . . . so my choice is what do I want most? The answer should be obvious but some days I just want the bit of relief that a drink offers. I am back on track though.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Good girl. My priorities change some days too.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

I was hankering for a drink last night, but talked myself out of it.
This morning I am happy about that.

How's everyone doing?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Not doing as well as you. Hubs opened a bottle of Kosta Brown chardonnay Monday and it's a beautiful, buttery chardonnay that I enjoyed and savored. I had one glass over four nights, and he had some too. That's VERY good considering a bottle of wine usually lasts me one night & change.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

That's pretty impressive, spreading your wine over several nights.
I "might" make it last two. One is enough for me if I am out and about, but at home I would almost certainly have the second glass.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

. . . and likely the third.

I really need a kick in the butt. I hit the G and Ts (diet) again yesterday.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member

I had 74 days sober and then had a really rough patch where I drank for 3 days. Now back on the wagon thanks to restarting the antabuse again. I also recently found out I'm pre diabetic so that has given me the incentive I need to really focus on low carb and lose this weight. My current "best friend with benefits" is very good and always tells me I look OK the way I am, which I appreciate, but I don't feel that way. I can only remember a period of about 1 year in the last 20 years where I felt like I looked good in no clothes. I'd like to get to that point again. On another note, if anyone wants a REALLY FUNNY LAUGH, you should go to youtube and put in "I don't look good naked any more". It's one of the funniest things you'll see in a long time.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #593
Major LCF Poster!

It's not an easy thing, Scinti, but I am glad to hear that you are past your rough patch (although I am sure your present is not a rose garden).

I can drink now and then, but it's always ends up being the slippery slope for me. I can't even say I enjoy it much anymore, and no doubt I can't afford the extra calories or carbs and lose weight. Still, I stumble . . . oh well, we gotta forgive ourselves and move on (borrowed that sentiment from ryebaby).
Old 08-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

I hope things smooth out soon scintillady and you are able to get back on track. Life is full of detours and derailments, isn't it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Back on the wagon. Only had those 3 days of drinking, which is a miracle for me. In the past it would have derailed me for months. Except for those 3 days, I have 3 whole months of sobriety now, a record for me. I have also been strict low carb for awhile now, and have started back on my anti-depressants, which I must say are working a lot better without the alcohol. I have a vacation coming up in a month, so I am planning to take a week and allow myself a couple of glasses of wine each day while I sit by the lake and read. It will be just me and my dog at the cabin for the week. I plan to still eat low carb, though, just be careful of the calories. I've proved that I can have the discipline to go back on the antabuse after a slipup, and I really don't consider this a slipup, as it's something I'm planning. I will have to stop taking the antabuse 10 days before I go, though, as it stays in your system that long. Most people will tell me not to do this, especially my friends on the recovery forum, but I am still planning to. I think if I have to tell myself that I can NEVER have a glass of wine again it would be too much to think of. I enjoy it, and if I could trust myself to drink responsibly I wouldn't give it up at all. By the way, I've lost 12 pounds but I can't figure out how to get the ticker on the bottom of my posts to change.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I think if I have to tell myself that I can NEVER have a glass of wine again it would be too much to think of.
Boy, no kidding.

It does slow down the weight loss, though.

By the way, a week at a cabin with just the dog and some books sounds sublime. Enjoy.