Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/194/160
WOE: LCHF
We had our walk-through on our new house today. Plus several appointments...contractors, escrow papers, blinds and more while we were there, and a long drive home. I was tired and thirsty. A glass of wine sounded so refreshing...cold chardonnay...but that's the worst thing you can drink, I think, for blood sugar spikes. Club soda with lime tastes good, too. I love the fizz.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
White wine does a number on me more than red, that I know.

The fizz hit can be satisfying.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

I came really close to caving and having a drink last night.
The good news is that I didn't but the craving was a whopper.
Totally down to an emotionally draining day and what was apparent to me was that I was craving relief.

p.s. Tomorrow I am four weeks past my red wine blip. I am traveling over a long weekend.
I have planned my food so I fairly confident that I will not go off the rails.

I should say fully confident, but after yesterday I can only go as far as fairly.

Be strong everyone. I'll catch up with you next week.

Last edited by Patience; 06-26-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Well, it's been a long time since I've been doing low carb, and the scale certainly reflects that. I was in a catch-22 for awhile. I knew that going low carb was pointless if I was drinking a lot of wine every day, so I never started low carb again. This made me more depressed and that in turn made me want to drink more, etc. I went to detox a year ago in May, was off alcohol for about 6 weeks, then gradually went right back to it. I'm an alcoholic, and the extra wine calories were not doing much for my weight either. Through the use of pharmaceuticals (antabuse), which I finally convinced my doctor to prescribe 43 days ago, I am now 43 days alcohol free. As long as I don't stop taking the medication, I know drinking is out of the question, which takes a lot of the burden off me to decide whether I am going to drink or not. Taking this medication and drinking while on it can be life-threatening. As suggested on a recovery forum I belong to, I have been giving myself permission to indulge the cravings for food that are taking the place of the cravings for alcohol for a short period of time, until I get used to being sober. That has resulted in me being at the highest weight I have ever recorded, 200 lbs. (the day before I delivered my daughter over 30 years ago, I tipped the scale at 152, and I thought that was bad!) One would think that cutting over 3000 calories per day by not drinking wine would be a start at losing some of the weight, but I guess I made up for it by eating all the carby crap I wanted. So now that I am firmly into not drinking, I am starting the low carb way of eating again as of today. Couldn't do both at the same time. Next step is to clean out my fridge, and since I recently started living by myself again, it should be easier to make sure I have no forbidden foods. My biggest downfall is the fact that I am in charge of cooking, shopping, and menu planning for a group home of 8 schizophrenic adults, and we always have all kinds of snacks, desserts, and high carb meals on hand, and I am urged to eat with the clients. Quitting drinking was hard, and dieting will be hard, but I have no doubt that eventually I can do it. I need to try to look decent in a year or so in order to face my ex-husband at my daughter's wedding next year. He was always critical of my weight and always put me down for it and told me he wasn't attracted to me because of it even when I was married to him and weighed 60 pounds less than I do now, so I would never allow myself to be seen by him in the shape I am now.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Just like everything else in life, it's one step at a time. Keep your eyes on the prize. Best wishes to you on your journey.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #576
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I came really close to caving and having a drink last night.
The good news is that I didn't but the craving was a whopper.
Totally down to an emotionally draining day and what was apparent to me was that I was craving relief.

p.s. Tomorrow I am four weeks past my red wine blip. I am traveling over a long weekend.
I have planned my food so I fairly confident that I will not go off the rails.

I should say fully confident, but after yesterday I can only go as far as fairly.

Be strong everyone. I'll catch up with you next week.
Good for you Patience, you get a GOLD STAR! Excellent!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Rye, I am still holding firm.

How are you doing? Others?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Scinti, I just read your post. It does make sense to tackle the biggest problem first. For you, it sounds like that is alcohol. That's been my priority too. In the short term it might indeed be better to eat more than to drink.

Sounds like you are ready to take on food. Good for you! You can drop a lot of weight by next summer. I have had slips, and average only 2 pounds a month, maybe a bit less, but it really adds up, even for an old bird like me.
Keep your eye on the prize; you'll get there one day at a time.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #579
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Add me in!

I need all the help I can get!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #580
Major LCF Poster!

Join in by all means, LJB!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in...had several evenings of unabashed wine drinking. For medicinal purposes, honestly. Even my aches have aches. Sore hips, stiff back... Hard to sleep with that damn streetlight blasting into the bedroom at night, too. But now the creaky old joints are quieting down and the blackout shades are up, so I'm back on serious track again. It was fun while it lasted. Sigh....
Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Ryebaby, life happens!
Are your aches from your move?

I slipped and had a couple of gins and diet tonics last week. I regret it because I KNOW it stalls my weight loss. But no lingering cravings. I've been back on track for better part of a week.

What's that saying: confession makes the heart grow fonder . . . . no, no, that's not it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #583
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: amya
Stats: 265/232/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 07/17/14
scintillady, thank you for posting this. Sometimes it kind of bothers me when people say "you must have an overeating problem". People don't believe me when I tell them that I don't really eat much. The alcohol can pack on pounds big time, a whole lot of calories and carbs (wine and beer). Keep at it, one day at a time. Please post how you're doing, ok?

Your neighbor in NH
amya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

I used to believe I didn't have a "sweet tooth," but in retrospect I see that I was getting my sugar fix from wine (after making what I thought was a smart switch from beer to wine). Some on this thread, I believe MaryMary, referred to alcohol as the "jet fuel of all sugars." I can't drink alcohol and lose weight.