Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
If you took a handful or more of sleeping pills and drank a bottle of vodka, yeah maybe. But when your body is accustomed to drinking and those sleeping pills, one pill and a few glasses of something is not going to harm you. Now, if you are a super light-weight, you have to go by your own chemistry and what your body can handle. And I believe Marilyn died of something more sinister, not an accidental overdose. Just one of those things we'll never know the answer to.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kacee1958
Stats: 225/225/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 01/06/14
At night I take elavil, two anti-inflammatories, and tylenol pm (all with the knowledge of my doctor). I've done this for years. The meds don't particularly help me sleep, they're part of my pain management regimen.
kacee1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
Big Yapper!

How is everyone doing today? Today is day #11 for me. Soldiering on...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

I'm right behind you, Cheryl. Today is day #10 for me. We went out to eat last night and I didn't even think of ordering a glass of wine. For me, when I take choice out of the equation, deciding not to drink is easy. It's only when I debate over moderation that I have trouble. I think . . . "Just one won't hurt", but I know that I won't stop at that. Feeling great, and think/hope I've dropped some weight as well. I know my skin is looking lots better, and I've lost that bloated feeling.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #35
Big Yapper!

Me too, Kacee. I don't know "when to say when." If I wasn't missing that gene, I'd be a normal drinker. (I say gene loosely.) WTG on day 10!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well, I'm on day 3 myself lol. A bit behind you ladies. I went to the Dr this morning and um, yeah more confirmation that I need to stay off the alcohol. Their scale said 258.5. F all that noise. I gotta get back down. I can't even do this. Staying AF is the key for me.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
Big Yapper!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Me too, Michelle.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
Big Yapper!

It's always amazing to me when I go to eat something that ordinarily (meaning if I were drinking) tastes out of this world. To sober taste buds, it's just okay. Bummer, but true for me. Do you guys experience that too?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Eventually the sober taste buds will evolve and things will start to taste better all around
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #41
Big Yapper!

Are you speaking from experience Mary? I want to believe you but I'm sceptical.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

I love what I eat now. I haven't had alcohol in 10 years but I continued to use salt. Just this year I cut way back and am finding things taste sweeter naturally. I think that sugar and alcohol numbs sensations and when that is gone, our senses can enjoy the true tastes of things
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #43
Big Yapper!

You've been sober for 10 years? What draws you to this thread? I don't think I'd give alcohol a second glance or thought if I were sober for that long. Doesn't talking about it only keep it alive in your mind?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

I admit it. I had 1.5 drinks last night. It didn't do anything. I don't even know why I did. I'm glad I stopped at 1.5.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Ashwagandha.
Liz1959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #46
Big Yapper!

Michelle, do you keep booze in the house? I don't have any in the house and that works best for me when I'm trying not to drink. Maybe you should do that, too.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #47
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Ashwagandha.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Glad you started a new thread. I followed the other awhile back, but saw where it was going.
Google "Ashwagandha". It's also called "Indian Ginseng" and "Withania Somnifera" (the plant name ).
It was recommended on another site in a discussion about alcohol withdrawal and cravings. It's an adaptogen and I don't really understand how it works. I just know for me, it does. I don't think about drinking, don't care about drinking. I think clearer. I also noticed I got caffeine jitters from my normally heavy coffee habit. I haven't had caffeine jitters in 30 years. So I have cut that back considerably too.
Look it up.
Also take a B-complex AND increase your Thiamine.
Cheryl. I had to go back and look as well to make sure I wasn't offended for no reason lol.

Well yes and no. Bf drinks and so there is normally alcohol in the house. He drinks different stuff than me and his doesn't entice me at all. I drink Vodka. That's my thing. But yesterday I intentionally went and bought it.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Michelle - I love vodka, too. We've always got lots of hard liquor and wine at home. Now DH has started drinking some ales, so we've got that, too. I'm an all or nothing girl. I can't do "moderation". So for now, abstinence works. But I'm not ready to say that's the end of my drinking. Right now I'm primarily motivated by my weight, and getting some of it off by DS#3's wedding in July. But, I have to admit the increased well-being, better sleep and smoother skin are great bonuses.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
Big Yapper!

Maybe if something was written along with the name of that supplement, it would have made sense. Thanks for explaining, Michelle.

I live alone and so when I'm not drinking, there is nothing in the house. It would be especially hard if I were like you guys, where you have another person who is currently drinking under the same roof. Kudos to you!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Even though I lost my weight, I still feel welcomed in the Century Club because I still need the support of people who have kicked the habit if food addiction.

Just because I haven't had a drink in 10 years, doesn't mean I don't think about it, wishing I were normal around alcohol. Hearing of your struggles is a good reminder why I stopped back in Oct 2003. I don't drink today or engage in compulsive overeating by the grace of God and the help of like-minded individuals such as yourselves. It is the Energy of folks who have the same goals that help me when I am having a weaker day. Some days are harder than others, but if I don't pick up the first sip or bite, I have a daily reprieve from the sickness that was eating away at my heart and soul.

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-21-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #52
Big Yapper!

Good answer! I only asked because I was wishing you wouldn't really be having to make a daily conscious decision to not drink, 10 years down the road. I guess it really is just as you said, like over-eating and weight loss. That sucks. So, if I ever get my body weight in check, then I'll have more than one tight rope to walk in order to stay "free".

Seems daunting. Makes me want to just say "screw it" and give up on not drinking. I can't give up on weight loss. This body is my only choice of a vehicle to travel around with in this lifetime. I have to make it fit my world or I can't learn to be happy.

I don't know what it is about declaring I'm going to do well with diet etc but I become an automatic time bomb. It's time to bow out altogether. I have to do something entirely different, like GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

I think it's time to make that change. Hoping all of you have the greatest of success. PM me if you wish to stay in touch. God bless each of you. I know where you can be found.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Oh yuck - went out to lunch with the girls today and instead of our usual salad place we went Italian. Now I feel bloated, etc. I guess it's good to get a reminder once in a while why low carb is so suited to me.
Having friends over for dinner tonight. . . and I'm not feeling tempted (at least not yet) about the wine I'm serving everyone else!!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

I said "screw it" back in 2011, and I picked up the food again. I gained back 32 pounds. I believe it is a disease. The drinking and the bingeing on food. Today I abstain from alcohol, sugar and grain as part of my recovery program. I now work a 12 step program. The disease goes into remissions so that I can have a life second to none, if I chose to. But if I pick up the drink or food, I will be back in the oblivion it created before I put it down.

I have no doubt, that if I pick up the next time, I will kill myself. If history repeats itself, my weight could go higher than it was before, and my old body can't take it anymore. So today, I have a choice. I can live or die. I choose life. I have a wonderful family, a great job, delicious food and roof over my head. I get to have time to work on me, so I can grow in love for myself and others. I have lots to work on but if I pick up the drink or food, that is all I would be thinking about. What choice is that?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #55
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. I am still on the wagon. I bought a six-pack of O'Douls and drank those the other day. It wasn't enough alcohol to make me have any bad symptoms from the Antabuse so that was nice. It was enough of a beer taste to scratch the itch that I'd been feeling for a while.

I've been toying with the idea of weaning off the Antabuse but I realize that I need another month or two of sobriety before I should make that decision. It hasn't even been one month yet. Actually, it was just 3 weeks yesterday. So, I will put more space between me and booze and see if I stop thinking of it romantically over time and distance.

Hope y'all are having a good day and are able to "cowboy up" and abstain.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Hi, ladies. I am still on the wagon. I bought a six-pack of O'Douls and drank those the other day. It wasn't enough alcohol to make me have any bad symptoms from the Antabuse so that was nice. It was enough of a beer taste to scratch the itch that I'd been feeling for a while.

I've been toying with the idea of weaning off the Antabuse but I realize that I need another month or two of sobriety before I should make that decision. It hasn't even been one month yet. Actually, it was just 3 weeks yesterday. So, I will put more space between me and booze and see if I stop thinking of it romantically over time and distance.

Hope y'all are having a good day and are able to "cowboy up" and abstain.
3 weeks!!

You are right, you might see it differently with a little more distance. Romanticising is a good way to put it Cheryl. It's like longing for a lover who really treated us like crap. We have to let the dust settle before we can see how much better off we will be and that we do deserve better.

I gave up my daily wine habit around the middle of January. I miss it less and less with each passing week. I don't even think about it at 3PM like I used to. It just got to be a daily habit.

I'm still allowed 2 glasses on Sat. out of the house with dinner. I'm even getting sort of *Meh* about that. I'm just not longing for it anymore. I don't kid myself that if I let it back in the house that it wouldn't become a daily habit again. Been there.

My eating patterns are more stable now. I don't get the cravings to overeat like I used to. Sleep is better now. It was hard to fall asleep at first but it got better.

My moods are more stable. I'm not finding it a chore to remain pleasant. Little annoyances just don't get to me like they were before.

My bloated, aging, alcoholic face looks much better!!
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #57
Big Yapper!

Thank you! I guess I should celebrate it, too. Three weeks is three weeks, after all. If I could do what you're doing Erin, that is exactly how I'd like to relate to alcohol for the rest of my life. I just don't do well when it's in the house. So happy for you that even those two glasses are losing their appeal.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job Cheryl! I'm proud of you. IDK what antabuse is, but it sounds like a good thing.

I'm on day 3 here. Not been a great week, been in a terrible mood, plus I'm sick yet again. I think the alcohol, stress, fighting with bf, and lack of LC has my immune system down. I've been sick way too much and I never get sick.

So 1)No alcohol
2)I'm back off carbs, actually doing a meat/egg/fat fast starting this morning.

3&4)stress and fighting with bf, idk what I can do about that besides run away lol.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #59
Big Yapper!

Day 3!!! Keep on truckin', Michelle. Sorry for your troubles but we've all got some of our own. Our own personal cross to bear. I hope things get better for you soon.

Antabuse is a drug that makes you very very sick if you drink while taking it. Works for me! It's covered by my prescription plan so I only pay a small co-pay. It's insurance. If I weren't on it I'm sure there were at least two times in those 3 weeks where I would have broken down and bought some booze. Without a doubt. So, if you're impulsive and childish like me, look into the Antabuse.

I have found that I can still drink O'Douls while taking it, which is nice to know.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I'd also like to join here. I am just better without any alcohol.
I've been without for several days and I want to continue.
For me alcohol and weight are connected. I can't lose the latter without giving up the former. No one glass of wine a day. If I buy a bottle I drink a bottle. It's easier to not bring it home than to moderate.
I've done it before for two years, so it is possible, but I need support for when those cravings hit. The craving for alcohol and food are hard to distinguish sometimes.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote