Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Doing well here, nothing to report really.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Hi All,

I'm new here and I'm FIRED UP! I am READY! I can't believe it, but I am. I am simply not losing weight (6 weeks now), and it has become seriously evident that if I'm going to get to where I want to be, I have to quit drinking. Simple as that.

The backstory:
I have given up wine, but I quietly replaced it with a vodka and soda-- 1 (sometimes 2) cocktail at dinnertime while I cook. That's all. I never drink during the day, and I don't drink to get drunk (I think I've outgrown that), and I can stop at 1 or 2, so it has been easy to rationalize and be in denial, but when 5:00 PM rolls around, it's like someone flipped a switch in my cranium.

I have done a lot of self-analysis lately because I've known this day was coming, and I think THE reason I've put off quitting altogether is because I'm afraid I'll fail and will have to admit I really have a problem. I can rationalize drinking because of the reasons outlined in the previous paragraph.

I am so glad I found this group. I read every page and post last night. I know I'll find suppost here. The first thing to admit is I'm a little scared.

I will be 65 in a few weeks and I am doing this (eating Paleo, giving up all the baddies little by little) for health and longevity. I have been very lucky, I have excellent health and vitality, and my husband, who is 71, is in good health also. We have a lot of living left to do and we want to stick around!

But we have that sense that we're running out of time and we don't want to end up with a bunch of old-age ills, so we're doing everything to eat clean, and the LC fits for us. We feel great!

So what's wrong with one little drinky-poo? Honestly? Everything. It's the thing that's keeping me from losing weight. It's last thing standing in my way. I have enjoyed it for many years, in fact it's probably the reason I'm fat, but it's time.

Have a great day,
Rian
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #543
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Welcome Rian RyeBaby!

We have a lot in common, including age. I'll be 64 soon. Impending mortality sure focuses the attention!

I have been in denial for many years. I was able to drink quite a bit without really getting drunk or have a hangover. Never missed a day or work/still don't. I think it was ultimately the realization that I was fat because of alcohol that has spurred my late fairly successful venture into weight loss.

My drinking with buddies when younger was sort of fun, but as it became habitual it was clearly self medication and a way to cope with emotions and stress. And then it became the habit that made me fat. Oh vanity!

Seems this all would have been a bit more obvious given that my father was alcoholic, the sort that shouldn't take one drink. I can drink a bit, but I never like where it takes me anymore.

Nice to have you with us. It's good to be able to check in and see how everyone is doing, and to ask for support when cravings hit.

Be strong everyone!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Thank you from the bottom of my heart Patience, I can echo everything you said. My dad was a full-blown alcoholic, and so is my son. Back in the day I could really knock 'em back.

I poured out the vodka today. It's a new moon--a good day for Day One.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #545
Major LCF Poster!

Pouring out is great!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Day one went great. I held fast and said, "I'm not drinking anymore," just like I did with gluten/grains: One day I said I don't eat that stuff anymore; it's toxic. And I poured myself a Pellegrino in a big ol wine glass. Because that's my habit, having something to drink while contemplating cooking dinner until dinner is over (and then I'm done). Seemed to work, at least yesterday. No cravings anyway, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything or that I was deprived.

The potential problem I foresee is, we are in-between houses right now, and renting a tiny furnished apartment until the new house is finished. I am bored to tears here and it's like a cave--dark and gloomy; old and funky. And we're right next to the train tracks, and a major intersection, so the train has to sound it's whistle right outside our window. I thought about waiting to quit until we moved (one more month), but the time was yesterday.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #547
Major LCF Poster!

Today is always a good day to start. Seems it is always better than some day in the future (although I understand the need for all the tumblers to fall into place).

One side of my property is a double train track . . . with lots of traffic.
I've been here so long that I hardly notice the trains anymore.
They sound the horns down the track a bit, though. Some poor young woman got hit and killed by a train last year, so they are sounding the horns a bit longer now, but I guess I am not bothered (doesn't hurt that I am at least partially deaf). I cover my ears when I am outside right next to the trains, though, as I don't want to lose anymore hearing.

Well, fessing up, I stumbled again yesterday. I purchased a bottle of red wine at the gift shop. I drank two glasses last night, but poured the rest out this morning. I just can't delay fat burning anymore! I am astounded by how easily I fall into convincing myself it is ok to buy. I had reached two weeks but now back to day 1. Been there done that, but I won't give up.

Be strong everyone.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #548
Senior LCF Member

The wine must have had a catchy label. It's almost criminal that something we enjoy so much causes us so much grief, especially in the weight department. Low-carb brownie points for you for pouring out the rest of the bottle and climbing back on the horse.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

You are right, it did.
A Red Oak. Well not super fancy label, but I know the winery and it's a nice dry red.
Sold in the gift shop of the gardens I was visiting.
I knew first sip that I shouldn't have bought it. I start to hide the bottle.
Bad sign! No regrets. Had I not poured it I'd probably have started to finish it by now.
Fortunately no cravings, so not too much damage done.
How are you holding up?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Much better than I thought I would. I'm actually surprised. I know the day will come, but so far (day 3 done) I'm really okay. Thanks for asking.

Bonus: The capris and t-shirt I go walking in every day actually seem a little looser. Or maybe they're just stretched out

You?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #551
Major LCF Poster!

Fortunately, I had a good day yesterday.
I am feeling good about the weekend.
My weight loss is really stalled, but I can't complain much because I have strayed from my WOE in May.

Congrats on day 3!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Thanks P, and congratulations again on pouring out that Red Oak. Perhaps you are in a losing-inches phase. It'll start up again. Patience, Patience!

I keep wanting to "beat myself up" over procrastinating for so long...I was doing everything else right and not losing but I refused to acknowledge how much alcohol was impeding my efforts. I wasted a lot of time. But I'm here now.

Have a great weekend.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

I think I have the alcohol out of my mind for a while.
I am back to my record low that I achieved on April 11.
That meets the definition of a stall (6 weeks with no loss), but I really can't call it a stall because my eating and drinking were not on plan. I really want to crack this thing and resume some loss, so I am really going to focus for a while: no alcohol, no nuts. Fruit had been creeping in (the lower carb fruits). I am going to abstain from that in June, too.

I am going to a family reunion this coming weekend, and had considered not going because of huge potluck. But I've decided to go. I am not getting any younger and it's good to catch up on all the cousins. Just one meal I need to manage. No shortage of problem drinkers, but there is never booze at this gathering. I don't know of any prohibition, but it just doesn't appear. I will drive so I'll be able to carry a cooler with ice, and load it up with a lot of eggs and other acceptable food.

Have a great day, R. Hayek, how are you doing? Scinti? Michelle?

Last edited by Patience; 06-01-2014 at 09:33 AM..
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #554
Senior LCF Member

The nuts can really do a number on you. We went to a home show today and then to visit our new house (not finished yet). Then we went to dinner at a little bistro and had salmon and spinach with caper-butter sauce--I can't cook fish in the tiny apartment we are staying in--no ventilation. We knew in advance that's what we were going to get...its so good. I briefly considered getting a glass of pinot noir to go with it, but I ordered a bottle of Pellegrino. That stuff really satisfies. This amazes me to no end.

FIVE DAYS! Here's to more success for both of us in June...Cheers!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #555
Major LCF Poster!

Well done!

That meal sounds heavenly. f
Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #556
Senior LCF Member

Still hanging in, dinner tonight was pretty yucky. I cooked something ugly..subbed ground turkey instead of beef. Bleagh. DH taking me out for a steak tomorrow...I need MEAT!

SEVEN DAYS! WOOT!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:47 AM   #557
Major LCF Poster!

A week already!!

I am right behind you, staying on plan.

Enjoy that steak. Yum.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I had some drinks on 6/2/14, but outside of that, having ditched the one group and working all the time lately so even if I really felt the urge, it wouldn't be practical to drink and all the work prevents my boredom trigger.

I wouldn't even have drank Monday, but I had some gin left from quite awhile back so decided to finish it (about three drinks worth over the course of 4.5 hours). It didn't even seem to taste that good to me and I think a diet soda could have had the same unwinding effect. But now that I'm truly out of stock, I should largely be in the clear.

Either way, it's not even close to as frequent as when I first joined these forums over a year ago. Not even in the same ballpark or league for that matter.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #559
Senior LCF Member

My hunch is it will be easier to stay on track without that bottle of gin around.

I was pretty sure I'd be bored in the evenings, but the work that goes with planning and cooking food for this eating plan has kept me out of trouble.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

I am glad I tossed the rest of my wine last week. Only thing better would have been not to have bought it.

I've had a good week, no cravings and staying on plan food-wise.
AND . . . I finally registered a scale loss this morning to a new low.
Only a pound, and the first loss since April 11. Nearly two months -- that meets LCF's definition of a stall, although I did stray a bit off course, so technically not really a stall.

But needless to say, I am a bit cheered and motivated to stay on plan over the weekend and beyond. If I want to continue to lose, I really don't have much margin to work with.

Be strong everyone.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #561
Senior LCF Member

All good things, P. All good. Kudos to you for hanging in there.

We went out to dinner tonight to a swanky seafood place. It was our friend's 65th birthday. I had 2 glasses of lovely wine. I don't know how much this will set me back, but you've got to live your life. I know now I don't have a problem with alcohol (whew) and tomorrow it will be business as usual.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #562
Major LCF Poster!

It's trial and error, learn as we go, eh?

I've had a good weekend, too.
Nothing special but getting at some things needing doing for some time.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #563
Senior LCF Member

It was kind of strange...we both felt like crap today. Sluggish and lazy as if we had gone hog-wild. Hubs had GERD all night. I slept fine but I wasn't tip-top. All we had (that was bad) was two glasses of wine, and not big ones either, and a taste of the cake. Wow- really makes a believer out of me. How did I ever eat/drink all that stuff and function!

It's a learning experience alright.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Alcohol packs more of a wallop when I am low carb.
I am a little bit afraid of drinking now, maybe not such a bad thing.

Last edited by Patience; 06-09-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, right. Not a bad idea. I was a little stressed and harried around dinnertime today and I thought, "a drink might be just the ticket," but then I thought about how crappy I'd feel and decided against it. Never mind that we don't have any wine in the apartment Some tequila, but GACK! No temptation there...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Ryebaby, it's such progress when we can think through how a drink will make us feel and not go there.
Or maybe to realize how temporary any good feeling is, and not go there because of the longer term feeling.

How are folks doing today?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #567
Senior LCF Member

Well said, Patience, and so true.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

How's everyone doing?
I am feeling craving free and pretty much abiding by my plan.
I dropped a half pound last week, so now I've lost 1 and half pounds in two months.
Much better than no loss in 7 weeks!
Amazing how finally getting that scale reward has boosted my confidence.
better that my previous (partly subconscious) thinking earlier this year that I had it sussed . . . . . NOT!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Doing fine here. Don't have a scale, but clothes are getting looser. Stay confident--1.5 pounds sounds pretty good to me.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #570
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah it is encouraging, and another .5 this morning.
May was a no loss month, so it's good to see some movement.
All this just confirms my view that I can't drink and lose weight.
Well, I could have one drink now and then, and maybe some day when I can I will.
But for now it is the straight and narrow. I am in a relatively stress free time right now, and honestly that helps a lot. It is how I deal with stress that really will be the measure of my success, at least that I don't turn to alcohol. Can't say that I never will, but for now I am taking one day and a time while keeping my longer goals in sight.

Have a great Monday everyone!