Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am doing ok, too. I was tempted yesterday. I took a little fall outside the building where I work, going down a stairwell. Kind of weird as I took an almost identical stumble last October. Despite a temporarily painful fall on my ankle, and hitting the ground, I am ok if not a little tender of foot. But related to drinking, my mind went towards getting a drink! So strange. Well, my rational mind took hold of how ridiculous that was , , , after a while . . . and of course glad I didn't. Funny what things can communicate to me that I deserve a drink!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #512
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carbinator
Stats: 329/309/240
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 18 Feb 2014
Lurking is good Hayek. Its kind of like just sitting and listening and I do my fair share of lurking as well. I tried quitting drinking several times before I finally hit bottom. The previous times I quit was miserable thinking of drinking but hating that I couldn't. For me it was a matter of finally wanting to quit.
carbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #513
Junior LCF Member

Sorry to hear about your fall Patience and hope you heal quickly.I am glad you chose not to drink! I know what you mean about the mind convincing you that a drink is needed.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #514
Major LCF Poster!

I am fine, but never cease to be amazed at my convoluted brain wiring.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #515
Junior LCF Member

It is a mystery why some people have those and thoughts when others do not. I used to tell myself it would be different each time. I would swear to myself that I wouldn't stop at the liquor store and the next thing you know the cash register was going kaching. Haven't had thoughts like that in awhile but I still have drinking dreams.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #516
Junior LCF Member

Hope everyoneone is having a stress and alcohol free weekend! One day at a time! Relapse starts before the drink is drank so they say.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #517
Junior LCF Member

Good day of low carb and another day of grace not drinking. Started to get a crappy attitude that the scale was not moving but checked my measurements and they were down. Trying to keep positive on all fronts. Hoping all is well with everyone else!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

My scale is a bit stubborn, too. But since I started here a year ago, I have continued to lose. I only record my lows, and only weigh a couple of times of week. I know that giving up alcohol accounts for some of my success. I have to remind myself to take credit for what is working and not just what is not. I have a high frustration threshold so this I need to work on.

Have a good week everyone. I am hoping that March does out like a skinny little but healthy lamb.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Weather is still dismal, but at least no longer subzero . . . .

I want warmth, color and sunshine!

I am having a good week, both eating and not thinking about drinking.

Sending my best to you!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #520
Junior LCF Member

That is great news on both of your successes Patience! Congratulations! I am ready for some sunshine and color as well. I am officially done with winter although out of my control. Keep up the great work and the spirit. I have slowed on my weight loss but Know I am soon to have a drop as I have been diligent in my eating. I dod have an Atkins bar or two but have since decided to not risk those for awhile.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
Day one

Decided to quit with the booze. Yesterday was first day, which was easy cause I had a hangover. Prob because amLC, felt woozy all day. Today is so full of triggers then remembered am going to take my kids to the zoo tomorrow and am not going to do it Hung over. 4 hours left!
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Great having you join us, Erin.
Early days can be a challenge, but it gets easier and sure helps with the weight loss.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #523
Junior LCF Member

Welcome Erin! I am sure you have heard it a million times but it is one day at a time or one minute at a time whatever it takes. I know I thought that I could not ever live without alcohol but now can't imagine ever drinking again. Keep the faith!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #524
Major LCF Poster!

Seems everyone is doing well, eh?
Weekends can be challenging so sending out some support!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Checking in. Mostly doing all right here I suppose. One of my last posts was my confession about drinking a few drinks on 2/7/14.

I did have a drink on 3/31/14 and it was very easy to stop at one. Something tasted absolutely disgusting about it (and it was a rum and diet so not exactly complicated lol) and I just couldn't continue on after that. Only finished it because I paid for it. Felt more nauseated than buzzed quite frankly. Still a pretty decent stretch I guess.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #526
Major LCF Poster!

I'd say you are doing great!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #527
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone. Happy spring and beautiful sunshine!
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Mary, nice to see your post. Snow this morning here, but won't last long.
Spring at last!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #529
Major LCF Poster!

Looming silence on this thread!
Y'all staying strong?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #530
Senior LCF Member

Doing well here. Haven't had anything since my mention in my last post (3/31/14).

This will be an extreme nutshell, but around the beginning of March I reunited with some friends I hadn't hung out with for close to a year. I started hanging around them regularly again until about last week. However, all these friends ever want to do is go out and drink, drink at home, or incorporate drinking into whatever we're doing.

And when I say this, I don't just mean one night on a weekend, I mean I would see them usually 3 or 4 evenings a week and almost each and every time they'd be splitting two to three bottles of wine (usually between 3-4 of them) or a 24 pack of beer between them (also usually between 3-4). Two of them also regularly partook in an herbal activity that, while I fully support one's right to do it (even when it may be against state or federal law), I do not want to be around it nor indulge in it myself. All of them would also regularly partake in chain smoking cigarettes during their drinking (usually in a poorly ventilated environment), which I'm pretty sensitive to second hand smoke so ignoring how rancid I'd smell upon coming home, I'd have way too many sinus problems.

When we first reunited, I thought maybe some of this was just because most of them were on vacations from jobs or school or both and it would die down. However, it didn't. And it would be virtually impossible to get them to agree to a sober night of fun (for instance, I suggested a board game night with all of us and naturally they all wanted to drink along with it). I wouldn't consider them true alcoholics, at least not yet, since that behavior isn't preventing any of them from making it to work, destroying their relationships (ignoring me for a moment), or causing them any legal consequences (yet). But definitely abusers or habitual users to the point where it's simply unhealthy if nothing else.

Most of the time, I just volunteer as DD to make it easier to just say no to any alcohol. Or, because of the whole ketogenic thing, use that as my reason for not indulging in their wine (usually more sugary types or heavier on the carbs) or beer (liquid bread). This got me around the "home drinking" (but I would still have to say "no" several times in order for them stop encouraging me to have a drink). But toward the end of our reunion, when I'd DD them to bars or clubs, they'd still insist I just have one drink, to the point where last week I finally ordered a diet coke from a bar to look like I had a drink just to get them to shut up (since they know my go to used to be rum and diet they didn't suspect anything).

Either way, as of last week, I decided to completely remove myself from this group. Yes, I have the discipline to control myself in the situation, but they're not trying to improve or change anything. This behavior wasn't the original reason for our falling out a year ago (and their behavior back then was far more moderated to the once or twice a week level), but it definitely impacted us now. I simply do not want to be around that on a regular basis, nor do I consider people who don't take my first "no" to something I don't want to do as quality friends. The most telling part was when I expressed my concerns and ended up berated by most of them - at that point, I considered it done and over with.

While this wasn't what caused the original falling out, I clearly see that these are not the quality of people I want to be around and there's a reason I didn't really miss them during our year apart. I also realized that our reunion was largely based on the fact that these "friends" were simply geographically convenient, but I'll just drive the required 2-3 hours to visit my truly quality "local" friends or plan a vacation to travel to see my friends who now live several states over.

And of course, there are always ways to make new, better friends - and that won't happen through associating with a group like that, at least not if like attracts like.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

I've done this in the past -- disassociated from a group when drinking was the common denominator. It was sort of fun for a while, but that time passed. The people I hang out with now may or may not drink and never press the issue.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

I went a bit astray with some gin and diet tonics. Broke two of my rules at once: no alcohol/no artificial sweeteners.

So I am here confessing and back to following the straight and narrow.

My weight loss is stalled, so it is clean eating for me, staying on plan.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #533
Senior LCF Member

You've done so well so don't feel too bad!

I have been getting the urge and super tempted these past few days (and again today).

Last night when I was driving home I was so tempted to stop but told myself just keep driving when I passed the two places that sell liquor on my route home. I literally had to talk to myself aloud saying "You will regret your decision in the morning."

It's the same thing I'm telling myself to get me through tonight. I know I'll regret the caloric surge, the potential lethargy or skipping of the gym, etc. when I wake up (even if I moderated myself). Unfortunately, my triggers are full force this past week and a half. But if I've managed to do well at my diet, I don't see why this should be such an obstacle (possibly because the carb free options?).

So tonight I'm hunkering down after dinner and reading a book - something I enjoy and can't do when I drink and will keep me distracted until bed.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #534
Major LCF Poster!

I am usually able to talk myself out of, but I tripped up this time and not just once.
I know at least that I am capable to not drinking, but what is aggravating is how the triggers can still do a number on me.

My only craving today is for water and I am indulging. I wonder/hope that this means I am getting back on track carb wise.

Hang tough, Hayek! I appreciate your support.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #535
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
It is hard to get back on when the detour has been taken. Praying for you both. After my accident, I had a hard time getting back to my rhythm, and just these past few days, feel almost like I might be there. But I have to take it day by day.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Mary, same back at you. I am reading quite a bit of improvement in your posts.
You rock!

I am feeling quite a bit better after a few days on track, but I am humbly aware right now of how little it takes sometimes to knock me off path.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

I am still doing good at week's end. I have a brief flitting thought about drinking, but it is now past. I am at home and don't plan leaving, except to walk the dog. Gorgeous spring day.

Stay strong, friends.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #538
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/??/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Haven't been on here for awhile. Tried low carb a few times but kept getting side tracked by the wine. Am at my all time high weight of 196 pounds (5'5"). Gained 70 pounds in the last 3 years, mainly due to the alcohol and poor eating habits when I drink. Finally making some progress on the alcohol front, so hopefully I will be able to get back to low carb. It's been a vicious cycle. Looked at myself, felt disgusted and depressed, drank wine to make myself feel better, gained more weight, felt more disgusted, etc. Finally got my prescription for antabuse today, which will make it impossible to drink, and if I take it every day I will not be able to even contemplate drinking. I also am in the process of getting myself out of a highly stressful living situation. Now maybe I can concentrate on being sober and losing some of this weight. Between posting and reading this site and the "sober recovery" site, I am getting some great support.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

It's hard to get all of our ducks in a row, eh?
You are doing what you need to do.
Seems you need to focus first on alcohol and then on food.
That's the order that works best for me.
Great having you post again . . . it's been a bit of an echo chamber.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #540
Junior LCF Member

Still living sober one day at a time. Painfully slow weight loss can't figure out why. Old I guess and maybe not as active as I should be.