Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Haven't commented in awhile. Lots of stressful things and a very annoyingly harsh winter preventing me from going out much have happened since my last post. However, I have remained alcohol free, despite the temptations of the escape and major boredom triggers.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Good going Hayek!
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
January has been a challenging month for me, after sailing through December without a hitch. I've got some sources of stress behind me now and there is a break in the bitter cold, so I am optimistic this morning that I can double down for the coming weeks. Meanwhile, it's still a day at a time.

Stay strong everyone!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Quiet here . . . I have not been around much, either.
I am doing ok, but my thoughts do go toward drink more than I'd like.
Oh well, day by day . . .
I am in a bit of a weight stall. I could be doing better by my WOE, so it's good I am not gaining. I keep hoping for a break in the weather.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #485
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmlloyd
Stats: 206/183.5/140 <- :)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2013
Patience I hope you keep it up!
I am still alcohol free.
I am not going to lie there have been times i thought that it would just be that one time and i know my bad side was talking, I just quietly in my mind tape some duct tape over it. I find a positive saying and think about how much better I feel with out it. How much I used to rely on it b/c I couldn't handle some thing or another. i am stronger than what bothers me.
I am proud of not being a "drinker" any more. People look at me like you don't drink any more???? really? I just say I am in school and don't have time for the recovery, it's really none of their business.
DO IT FOR YOU.
And if you feel like no one is proud of you.....I am.
cmlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #486
Major LCF Poster!

Aw thanks for that, cm.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Haven't been posting, but have been lurking.

I drank again on 2/7/14. Had a few drinks in a social setting. Before that my last drink was 12/4/13 so the longest stretch I've had in a very long time. Won't let this slide into a regular drinking pattern or anything, but also won't let myself feel too bad about having a controlled amount in a specific environment.

So onward I go.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #488
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
New here, trying to give up alcohol is much tougher than I thought it would be.... There are a lot of reasons for me to give it up, and my WOE is just one of them.... I lost the entire day yesterday because I thought I would just have 1 in the afternoon and that would be that. Nope. That 1 turned into the rest of the evening.... nothing got done around the house, we did not go out, I think the dinner dishes are still in the sink, and as I was dressing for work this morning I had the first Hypoglycemic event that I have had in more than 4 years...... I felt like heck..... still not feeling up to snuff.....

God gives the best to those who leave the choice to him.

March Goals:
Walking / 85 mi / 92

April Goals:
Walking / 95 mi
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

I find it helpful to throw away any alcohol left in the house.
Of course, that only involves that supply that I have control over.
Down the sink!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #490
Blabbermouth!!!

We don't have it in the house either. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

After a less than ideal period, I am doing good on not drinking.
Yesterday, after chunking lots of ice, my thoughts did turn to having a drink, but I was able to reason my way out of that. I knew it would be more than one. Thank goodness, the scale rewarded me with a one pound loss and that has been a long time coming.
OK, I know that a machine is not rewarding me, but the number sure looked good to me this a.m.

Be strong! Be patient!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Posting to say that I am currently not drinking. I think I had an allergic/intolerant reaction the last time I had wine. Got all stuffy and could not breathe thru the nose, like having a cold. Very annoying when trying to go to bed. Also found myself suddenly very crabby, with no logical reason for it. It was gone in the morning. I realized that I had been experiencing gradual levels of this for a couple months but had not put two and two together yet. But the most recent reaction was very obviously the wine. So, I'm currently not drinking. Glad this thread is here.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome ElizabethLC, congrats on finding a trigger for your sinus problems. I had a similar experience. In 2003 I had two glasses of merlot at dinner in a restaurant. The next morning my head felt like it was stuffed with cotton and I haven't any alcohol since then.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

Some people react to the sulfites. It is possible to find sulfite free wine.
Not that I am encouraging you, though.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #495
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carbinator
Stats: 329/309/240
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 18 Feb 2014
New to the board and four years sober but I am guilty of being a carbaholic. Interesting seeing this thread. Lost 85 pounds once before on Atkins and am back after years of neglect. One day at a time!
carbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

Big hello and welcome carbinator.
Been kind of quiet on this thread.
Did you find drinking and carbs to be connected?
I think the one day at a time focus is a common focus for some of us.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #497
Junior LCF Member

I actually used alcohol as a crutch when I was eating low carb in the past. I would consume more vodka (drink of choice) when I would get hungry and that kind of took the desire to eat away. Unfortunately it led me to fall deeper into my disease and destroy a lot of things along the way. Sobriety is way better but I let my eating get away from me much like my alcoholism. I knew however that this WOE would work so I recently made that decision to start anew.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #498
Major LCF Poster!

I had to give up wine as my long time crutch. Gave up beer before that.
I hardly ever drink anymore, although I've had a few drinks since I joined the forum.
Not so proud of that, just being honest. I am much better off not drinking.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #499
Junior LCF Member

We all have our journey and nobody will condemn you for a drink. I guess it all depends on whether you are alcoholic or not. there are many in this world that can have a few and stop without issues. I could never drink responsibly and could never fill up once I got started. I have found my eating kind of got that way as well. One cookie equated to a whole box. Keep a positive attitude regardless.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #500
Junior LCF Member

Spring break! Anyone else have any issues during this festive time? Was always a good excuse for me.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #501
Major LCF Poster!

Not anymore, carbinator. I am guessing I am older than you.
Spring break for me this year is going to be spent spring cleaning.
I am not a great housekeeper, but really needs to be done, even by my standards. Used to be I'd buy wine to "help" me gear up for cleaning, sort of a "I deserve it because I am cleaning," right?

I am not an alcoholic in the sense that I can't stop once I start. I can stop, but if it's in the house I will finish it, much like the case for food for some of us. I can and have poured the remainder down the drain, though.

I understand the struggle that alcoholics face, who can't ever drink. I used to do volunteer alcohol helpline work, and my dad was an alcoholic who would go on week long binges. That's not me. I have never blacked out. I am a functional alcoholic (or problem drinker). I have never missed a day of work from drinking. But I drank ever increasing quantities (which made me fat, among other things). I have a problem being attracted too much to alcohol, and I have used it to self medicate (to deal with strong emotions or anxiety) or as a social lubricant for way too many years.

I like myself better without drinking. There is still a siren call at some times, such as times of stress or intense emotion, but can deal with it most of the time, but I am not at 100 percent success. I can have a drink in a social setting and limit it to one, but it's really not worth it. I have no desire to become a "social drinker."

Last edited by Patience; 03-09-2014 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: words
Old 03-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #502
Junior LCF Member

Ha Ha! I am far from being a spring chicken Patience!

I was a functional alcoholic in the fact that I always held a steady job and never had those associated issues with the law. I never blacked out either which was not always a benefit as I would have immediate remorse the next day for things I did while drinking.

I too self medicated and would get juiced up when I had a big chore around the house. I would cook like a fiend when I would drink as well making enough food for an army. I always ended up giving it away because my appetite was low when drinking.

Social drinking is a mystery to me and I can't ever imagine attempting it. I can tolerate others drinking socially but have to remove myself from situations where there is heavy drinking.

Just curious what triggered folks drinking I guess.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/??/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
I guess you could say I was a functional alcoholic for much of my life. I went to detox last May, and had 6 weeks of sobriety, then I relapsed, and had many months of daily drinking, interspersed with a few days here and there that I tried to stop. I now have 8 days sober, and I'd have to say low carb is helping me. If I have eaten my alottment of fat and protein for the day, I know if I have wine on top of that, I have undone all the good for the day, and then I would be tempted to eat a bunch of stuff since I blew it anyway. I am not able to be a social drinker either. The reason I drank was to get drunk and escape things, and if I can't do that I don't see the point. That's why I know I'm an alcoholic.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #504
Junior LCF Member

Congratulations on 8 days of sobriety scintillady!! Accepting that you are alcoholic is a huge step in recovering from this disease. Each time I relapsed I realized more that it never got any better only worse than the time before. I finally reached my bottom. Fighting two battles at once is a tall order but you just have to believe. Keep it up!!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back, Scinti!
I agree, wine just doesn't cut it for us.
Let's liven up this thread and get some good discussion/support going.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

carbinator, in response to your question, my drinking was kind of for fun more many years, but in all honesty it was about controlling anxiety . . . for which in truth it was a failed experiment. For me drinking is mostly about dealing with emotions, good and bad. Can't say why this is the case for me, but it is.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #507
Junior LCF Member

I can relate to the fun aspect of drinking initially Patience. Every event large or small was always livened up by drinking. Social interaction was always easier and it always emboldened me to say things I would never say in a sober environment. I eventually slipped into the world of isolation and drinking alone. Someone once told me that alcoholics think the cure for lonliness is isolation. Finally in the end I found that the reason I drank was because I was a drunk (alcoholic)!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #508
Junior LCF Member

Hoping everyone had a great day living one day at a time enjoying one minute at a time!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #509
Junior LCF Member

Anybody have a hard time not drinking today?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Haven't been posting, but I do keep up with my lurking.

carbinator, I was quite tempted this weekend to have some drinks, but ultimately talked myself out of it for various reasons.

And I haven't had a drink since my last confession regarding the 2/7/14 social drinking so I'm past the month mark yet again. We'll see how far this stretch goes! This weekend was the first time I was tempted in a very long time, partially from boredom, partially from wanting to cook and clean while having some wine.