Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DoingItMyWay
Stats: 280/206/140
WOE: McDougall
Start Date: May 2012
For those struggling with cravings, I have started taking two supplements that have made giving up alcohol pretty easy. The 1st is 'Ashwaghanda' recommended by Lizz1959 on page 2 of this thread. It really helps with reducing obsessive thoughts.

The second is the liquid magnesium thread started by DiamondDeb in the Playground. It took me awhile to get on board with the liquid mag but once I did, within a couple of days, I really had NO desire for alcohol at all. Now 2.5 weeks or so AF, I can honestly say I only get 1, maybe 2, fleeting thoughts of alcohol a day and those aren't even in the 'I really want' category but more like... huh? I haven't even thought about alcohol today.

Just my experience. If you're struggling, I would give those supplements a go and see if they help you.
DoingItMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #422
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I am reading now The Crazy Sexy Diet which is also very entertaining and educational. I get something out of every book. The whole discussion on alkaline vs acidic foods was an eye opener. The Engine 2 Diet was written by a fireman triathalon winner. Both promote the value of vegetables especially green vegetables.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Still going strong here. I guess today makes Day 7 (though really my Day 1 on Thursday should have been Day 0 since last Wednesday was my last drink, but whatever, I'll just maintain that the Thursday still counts as Day 1).

No desires to drink, but it'll be around the 20+ day mark when I feel challenged again. I considered joining the moderation thread, but after reading the posts there, I realized why I can't do moderation. Similar to the way I don't consider myself to moderate carbs (although compared to alcohol in take I do), I can't consider myself to moderate alcohol.

It's not that I can't actually moderate the two, it's just that moderation turns into a slippery slope of a definition for me. I don't consider drinking (and ending up drunk) once a month as a problem and would theoretically call it moderation. But then that type of thinking can easily lead to me thinking "Oh, once a week" is moderation," which could turn into "a drink or two every few days [without getting drunk]" is moderation. And then there's always the problem of once I start with that one or two drinks, it could easily turn into more than I ever intended in that sitting. Last Wednesday, I told myself only a few drinks from that pint, and it turned into the whole pint.

I don't feel bad about it because it was the first time in close to a month that I consumed alcohol, but I know becoming too relaxed with that way of thinking could lead me in a direction I don't want to go. Thus, I view myself as trying to abstain completely, but fully accept that hiccups may occur - just can't let hiccups turn into a regular breathing pattern.

Similar to how I "moderate" carbs. Of course, this is different because I still allow myself 30-35g of them a day (compared to thinking of alcohol as cut out), but I still consider myself as abstaining completely from high carbs. Sure, every few months or so I have a "treat" (maybe a full two slices of pizzas instead of the topping or cutting a bun in half to use on a hamburger or something), but I don't view these higher carb moments as moderation, I view them as hiccups or deviation in my general abstinent mentality. Either way, I view it as something I can't allow to work its way in under the guise of moderation.

That's just how it works for me and is probably more of a mental trick than anything (just like I don't view myself as being restricted from carbs or alcohol in theory - I tell myself I can have them whenever I want, but remind myself that the consequences of them probably aren't worth the enjoyment of indulging since telling myself I can't have something at all tends to make me want it more lol). Not even sure if it makes sense now that I try to explain it to others, but whatever. Makes sense to me!

Anyway, still going strong here with no desire. The real test will always come after extended abstinence. That said, I haven't had any true desire to drink alone in a very long time, and am pretty sure I'm becoming even closer to reprogramming myself to completely ignore boredom as a drinking trigger by finding more productive and healthy things to do. Now, it'll just be that extended period of time mixed with social settings that I have to work on.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Hi all, just checking and seems everyone is doing ok.
I am, too, just busy. No drinking. I am probably eating just a bit more than is ideal, but no off plan foods excepting a serving of beautiful peas with lunch two days ago. They were so pretty and green, mixed with red pepper strips and mushrooms. And I shared with my dog and cat!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #425
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I belive this was my last alcohol post. "Thursday" night would have been 5/9, so I'm almost at a month.
Just passed my 7 month mark. I can't believe it.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #426
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmlloyd
Stats: 206/183.5/140 <- :)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItMyWay View Post
For those struggling with cravings, I have started taking two supplements that have made giving up alcohol pretty easy. The 1st is 'Ashwaghanda' recommended by Lizz1959 on page 2 of this thread. It really helps with reducing obsessive thoughts.

The second is the liquid magnesium thread started by DiamondDeb in the Playground. It took me awhile to get on board with the liquid mag but once I did, within a couple of days, I really had NO desire for alcohol at all. Now 2.5 weeks or so AF, I can honestly say I only get 1, maybe 2, fleeting thoughts of alcohol a day and those aren't even in the 'I really want' category but more like... huh? I haven't even thought about alcohol today.

Just my experience. If you're struggling, I would give those supplements a go and see if they help you.
I have tried to find the ashwaghanda at the store and I am probably going to have to order it online. Is there a place you normally get yours?

I am on Day 13 - I had a stressful day a couple of days ago and i worked through it, I was also having hormone issues as well.
2 Weeks tomorrow - still feeling strong!
Have wonderful evening and stay strong!
cmlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #427
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats Michelle! 7 months, woo hoo!, great job!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Doing just fine here. Going out tonight to celebrate certain things with friends, but already volunteered to be the DD so there won't be any temptation whatsoever.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like everyone is doing great.
Drinking has not been much on my mind, so I feel pretty good going into the weekend.
Michelle, you are a star!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BunChucker
Stats: 184/145/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2002
Well, I think it is time for me to quit. I have an all or nothing attitude to drinking. So, it really is best that I don't have any. I usually do good during the week, but not on the weekends. Saturday is usually my drinking day. So, today is day 2 and I am really worried about next Saturday and also next week since I'll be on vacation. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Wish me luck!
BunChucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

You can do this and you will.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

I do mostly agree with the one day at a time philosophy, but I also think it can be useful if we know we have certain time related triggers, to think more than a day a head of time to come up with a strategy to deal with the challenge. My comment is by way of your mentioning that the weekend is challenging, BunChucker. Can you think now of things you might do to get past the Saturday challenge? And the vacation challenge?

I have had a few drinking thoughts, but haven't come close to acting on them. I think my thoughts are coming along the lines of "I deserve an indulgence." Well, no I don't if it comes in the form of booze!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Still doing well here. Boredom and holiday stresses (too much family time and more to come) tempted me tonight, but I just cleaned for awhile and the impulsive reaction quickly passed. Plus I know the endorphin high I get at the gym tomorrow will feel far better than booze.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling a bit low today, not sure why. Well it's partly work which sometimes seems relentless, but may also the short days, and a bit of holiday melancholy. I don't feel compelled to drink at all, just observing my mood.

I am having a good cup of coffee and may settle in with a good book tonight.
Actually I am starting to perk up a bit as I write this post.

How's everyone doing?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #435
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Patience, expressing feelings is a big part of our recovery.

I am glad it is Friday. The work days fly by so quickly. I can sleep in a bit tomorrow, maybe 6:30 or so. But have some last minute shopping to do for Christmas dinner.

What is everyone doing for the holidays? For those who might want some company of like minded folks, usually on Christmas and the night before, AA has meetings going on all day and into the night at some location near you. They usually serve food and coffee, etc. on New Year's Eve, they usually have a dance somewhere. No one needs to be alone on those days. If you are around family and you feel uncomfortable in the situation, we can take care of ourselves first and leave the gathering if necessary. We can go for a walk or a drive to get some fresh air. Family get togethers can be stressful for someone who is trying to stay sober and on a food plan.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

I'm doing OK here. I am finding that I am really munch-y which is better than craving alcohol, I guess. Although thoughts of having some wine have definitely crossed my mind.

I'm still plugging away though. I definitely have eaten more food than usual but all on plan and has not affected my weight, so all is good.

Hope you all stay strong over the next week or two. I know we can all do it.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

My mood is quite a bit better. Thanks for the great suggestions, Mary.
I'll be checking in here more often during the holidays, and happy to lend as well as receive support.
I am staying at home this year, just my spouse about. My daughters have other plans, and it's all fine by me this year. I need some downtime and some time to reflect on the season. Wishing everyone the very best!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Still going strong here. Last drink was 12/4/13.

Been without "real" power since Sunday at 4am (really bad ice storm out this way). It should be restored by Friday by 11:30PM, but judging from the damage I just saw on my gym trip, I'd be impressed if it's up by then. Took out my cell tower too, but I randomly get signal to do real quick things before it dies on me.

Thankfully I have a generator and the internet kicked back on reliably today.

Even if I were tempted to drink, the nearest place with power is too far away to even make me want to bother picking something up! And the fact that not only am I managing to not gain weight, but am still losing during the holidays is motivating me to prevent me from taking that first sip.

Hope everyone is doing well and happy holidays to you all.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Hoping you get your power back soon. That's got to be a major pain.
Great that you can see the "silver lining."
I am having a low key no alcohol holiday. I am thankful for the electricity as I have books to read and a new lap top to play with (or so I've surmised).
Some frozen pipes this morning, but luckily got them unstuck without too much trouble.

Blessings all around, friends!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #440
Blabbermouth!!!

How did everyone do? We survived another one. Back to normal for a few days.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #441
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
How did everyone do? We survived another one. Back to normal for a few days.
Today is my Birthday. Last night I had 1 Grey Goose apple martini. It didn't do anything for me and I didn't want any more. I also tasted some red velvet cake Nuvo (it's sparkling liquor). So I did drink alcohol but I do not forsee me going into a binge. It wasn't good. Thankfully I don't feel any icky effects this morning that I used to. Then again, I didn't drink 1/4 of a gallon of Vodka
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #442
Blabbermouth!!!

Michele, because there was no after effects, do you see yourself doing this more frequently?
Just curious
Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #443
Big Yapper!!!!

No. It didn't do anything. No buzz, no nothing, so what's the point of drinking? There isn't one. I never understood "social" drinking. I drank to get drunk. Every time. I tried "social" drinking last night and it was pointless.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

I have used alcohol both to be social and for the buzz.
I don't care about the social anymore; I am sure I was never as charming as I thought I was. I didn't usually get drunk, but I liked the buzz and one drink is never going to give me that, so it's not worth it. I am 6 weeks without a drink. The occasional random thought but 0 cravings.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dc21
I'm going to be honest here! Can you tell me what's the best way to stop the cravings? I would love to read through 15 pages of the thread, but simply do not have the time
dc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc21 View Post
I'm going to be honest here! Can you tell me what's the best way to stop the cravings? I would love to read through 15 pages of the thread, but simply do not have the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItMyWay View Post

I found that this has helped.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

I suspect different things might work for different people.
When it gets right down to it, sometimes you just have to work through the cravings for a few days and they will subside a bit. They don't go away but seem to lessen in intensity and frequency. Be sure you are not hungry or tired or thirsty. A craving for alcohol and for food are sometimes similar. I've had some good results with 5-HTP but not everyone does. It cuts my anxiety a bit so I am less likely to drink to deal with it. Sometimes it can work to have a list of things you can DO when a craving hits (take the dog out, post here, take a bath, drink a cup of hot tea or coffee, etc.). Often they will subside with a bit of distraction. Be strong!

Last edited by Patience; 12-29-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #448
Blabbermouth!!!

Other things I do when bored which used to lead to cravings are read a good book, watch a movie, take a walk, write/journal, call a friend, pray, housecleaning, etc. i remember hearing Dr Phil say years ago, you can't take away or change one behaviour without replacing it with another, hopefully healthy, behaviour. Idle hands and all that stuff. Keep busy.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Doing well here. Still haven't had a drink since 12/4/13. Power was restored early Sunday (12/29/13) morning.

I've been reading "You Are Your Own Gym" to give me some ideas for additional strength training I can do from home (along with weights and so forth at the gym). I plan to create various exercise plans from that book to follow through on days where I don't go to the gym (especially with this unpredictable weather), but more importantly, to create (roughly) 30 minute plans to do when I feel the impulsive need to drink from boredom with the agreement with myself that if I do two of those plans and still feel the desire to drink, then I totally can. Long story short, in the past, when I've made such a plan with myself for some 30-60 minute activity when the drinking desire strikes, I never ended up drinking.

I haven't done anything for NYE in years and don't plan on changing that tonight, so there will be no temptation for me and I didn't buy anything to drink during my trip to the store yesterday. And since the weather is crappy along with the roads, even if I feel tempted later tonight, I won't be making a booze run. I plan on lounging and reading "Body by Science" this evening through tomorrow evening when the Rose Bowl starts.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

I posted a "well done, Hayek" but it evaporated as posts sometimes do.
Sounds like you have a great plan in place. Must be wonderful to have power back.

I am tending the home fires, too. I may check in later, but just to be sure I'll say Happy New Year! now.

Last edited by Patience; 12-31-2013 at 02:05 PM..