Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I try to distract myself for 10 minutes (or less!) at a time. Often the craving will depart.
It can also help to think of ways to change the structure of your life that supports the drinking. That's hard but maybe most effective. I gave up my friends I used to drink with. They were really not friends, and now I connect with new friends at the coffee shop.

Pcalt, sometimes just working on being "mindful" on the task at hand can help. I am not very good at this, though. I don't face those after work challenges any more (kids have flown the nest), but how well I remember them. How many kids and what ages?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/137/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I'm sorry, I am not an alcoholic but I thought I'd post here. When I am not on a diet I have a nightly glass of red wine and my husband keeps a few different liquors around for an occasional drink. I am abstaining during my weight-loss because of the calories. But if anyone else in my family or otherwise under my roof was an alcoholic, it'd go out the window in a heartbeat. Who keeps that stuff around knowing that one of their household is struggling with alcoholism? It just seems a bit hard-hearted, to me, to keep it in the house at all under those circumstances. - Unless the other person is also an alcoholic ... ?

185/137/120 ~ 5'2"
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 172/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Hi Nikki and welcome. I am mostly doing it for weight as well, plus I have caught myself drinking far too many evenings around dinner to drown out the noise and stress. We all can do this.

Patience I have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a cat

Boy 1 -20 He is at college but does come home a lot (the money thing stresses me out too)
Boy 2 - 17 going on 30 can you say attitude!!!!!!
Boy 3 - 13
Girl 4 - 11
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

PS = MsWoods - awesome job
Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, pcalt, I understand you stress now!
I only have two kids and the second one almost did me in.
Seriously. After a good number of years, we are on good terms, but it doesn't take much to conjure up emotions even from my memory!!

Regarding supportive spouses, I think everyone hopes for that but it's simply not always the case, whether for food or alcohol. Ultimately, we have to be responsible. By all means ask for support, but if it is not given then we make hard choices.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmlloyd
Stats: 206/183.5/140 <- :)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I try to distract myself for 10 minutes (or less!) at a time. Often the craving will depart.
It can also help to think of ways to change the structure of your life that supports the drinking. That's hard but maybe most effective. I gave up my friends I used to drink with. They were really not friends, and now I connect with new friends at the coffee shop.

Pcalt, sometimes just working on being "mindful" on the task at hand can help. I am not very good at this, though. I don't face those after work challenges any more (kids have flown the nest), but how well I remember them. How many kids and what ages?
I think the friends who still get together to have drinks I don't have a problem with too much. It's the alone time I have to be mindful of. It seems to hit when my hormones are raging as well, and stress just seems to bubble for no apparent reason. Then I tend to drink till there's nothing left. That's why I need distractions. So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaltman View Post
Hi Nikki and welcome. I am mostly doing it for weight as well, plus I have caught myself drinking far too many evenings around dinner to drown out the noise and stress. We all can do this.

Patience I have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a cat

Boy 1 -20 He is at college but does come home a lot (the money thing stresses me out too)
Boy 2 - 17 going on 30 can you say attitude!!!!!!
Boy 3 - 13
Girl 4 - 11
pcalt - I have an 18 yo going on 30 with the dreams of being a billionaire. It doesnt go away - making him realize the value of a dollar I think is the hardest thing right now. He works all the time but still has no money for actual bills, but those shoes sure do look nice. lol. I started making him pay room & board, b/c he just had too much extra money to play with - it goes in an envelope and we wrote a contract stating that he could have it when he had secured his own apartment and was ready to move out on his own. It has slowed him down, and calmed him down a lot b/c now he has to think before he acts. just my little slice.

Day 5
I had a talk with my hubs again tonight and he understands my want to stay away from all forms of alcohol. I even told a friend of ours we wouldn't make it to the BIG New Years throw down at the Hilton. Not drinking wouldn't bother me, but it just seems pointless to spend that kind of money to watch other people do what I'm trying to avoid.
I believe in my heart of hearts that being clear headed is what's necessary for me. Maybe later I will be able to put up with other people who are drunk (it's not their fault, this I know), but I don't think I could tolerate that right now.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far
cmlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on day 5, cm!
I am holding temptation at bay these day. Feeling pretty good tonight.
About to go to bed with a good book, that's my little indulgence.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

CM - I so get the alone thing. I have changed my life a lot and given up lots of friend that don't think like I do. Way too much trouble to deal with Give you 18yo the Dave Ramsey book. Great book about money, budget, and life in general. Love it......I get a copy for all the kids and make them read it before they move out of my house.

Had girls night out last night which was always a good time. I always drive and drive other people, so I never drink. Doesn't bug me in the slightest. It's the every day, every week thing, stress and at home making dinner when I break down. I told hubby if I can get through 4-6 every night I was golden.

Doing well so far
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/165/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Back to Day 1 for me. Womp womp. Though it was a nice stretch.

Lots of great things happened yesterday so I celebrated with friends, which involved drinking a pint of rum from about 4pm through 11pm. Other than my high fat coffee that I had at 6am, I didn't eat anything yesterday so that (a) led to pacing myself (which I have to do on keto anyway), and (b) still ending up way too drunk from about 9pm until midnight when I went to bed :\.

I don't necessarily regret it as I didn't make a fool of myself, spend much money, post anything ridiculous on any social media sites, or do anything obnoxious. And somehow managed to escape having a hangover. But it will be another long stretch before I drink again. It's still not worth it.

So today is Day 1.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DoingItMyWay
Stats: 280/206/140
WOE: McDougall
Start Date: May 2012
I'm doing OK here, just plugging along. No real cravings. I have found if I don't let myself get too hungry, I am OK. When I get hungry, I look for something quick and often alcohol meets that need because it dampens my hunger.

I'm on day 12, I think and have lost 12 lbs. Not bad and certainly an incentive to keep going.
DoingItMyWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KITTYM
Stats: (350 top wt )278/ 255/ 195
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: restart 3-13-2009
I AM DRINKING HELP ME
KITTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Some time I am so sick. I need Support.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

hello is anybody their
Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

I'm here. How can I help? I'm glad you are reaching out for help. It sounds like you don't want to continue drinking tonight, right?

Last edited by DoingItMyWay; 12-06-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

I think Alabama is on east coast time. Would you be willing to just go to bed now and start fresh in the morning. Have a BIG glass of water before going to bed, though, to lessen your hangover.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Is anyone there with you?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry I missed you. Hopefully you went to bed which I what I am going to do now.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry, too, that I missed you Kitty.
How are you this morning?
The best thing for it is to drink the fluids, lots of broth is good, and then commit to not drinking today.
How about it?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #409
Junior LCF Member

Day 8 and doing alright. I have a weird headache this morning. I'm going shopping today for some Holiday gifts and then headed home to decorate my little 4 ft tabletop prelit tree. I started doing it this way b/c no one helps with decorating. I also need to change my Flag outside and maybe string up some lights.
My son will not be here this year for the holiday he will be in Colorado with his dad and his family and I am fine with that.
I am not craving today, but i was lastnight. I faught it off by crocheting. I finished an infinty scarf and am going to wear it today....i will take a picture when I have my make up on. It's so pretty I think. (not my make up - the scarf).
I hope KITTYM is okay.
Have a wonderful day, and stay strong.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #410
Junior LCF Member

I updated my avatar with the scarf pic have a wonderful day
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Hello having a great day today no wine today, and no guilty feelings . I am good.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #412
Junior LCF Member

KITTYM - good to hear it!

I feel clear headed and don't have to worry about feeling bad or guilty b/c I may or may not have drank too much.
I will have to keep myself busy today, we have an ice storm moving in on us and it will keep everyone mostly indoors today. That can be very stressful. I have some studying to do today for 1 of my last two final exams of this semester (I had 5) Plus doing some embroidering for a classmate of mine for her lab bag.

Day 9 feeling fine. Stay strong everyone!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Lovely scarf, and congrats on day 9.
Nice to hear from you Kitty.
I am holding up just fine this weekend.
Have to remove some snow, but could be worse~!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/165/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Day 4. Despite last night being a huge and awesome game I watched with friends who were drinking,I was able to abstain. Was tempted, but Wednesday's deviation was fresh in my mind so my inner "no" monologue won... even after my team's victory! Lol.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

I had a talk yesterday with my husband and again today. Yesterday we were having some communication issues while we were trying to cable the comcast box, a new smart TV and the sound system. It was frustrating and stressful. Yes, I had a fleeting thought that a drink would be nice. Shortly after, DH announced that he needed a drink, stopped everything and went and got one. I talked to him about that and how I thought that was being unsupportive and disrespectful.

Again, today, he does a bunch of work in the cellar, comes into the kitchen and pours himself a drink. Again, I spoke with him

It's not that having the alcohol around really bothers me because, frankly, it doesn't and I'm not really even tempted. It's that I feel since he is the one that wanted me to quit drinking, he should support me and not drink himself. It's the principle.

Anyway, enough whining. I'm doing great. As I said, no real desires or craving that I need to white knuckle it through.

WTG Hayek! One day at a time, one self conversation and before you know it, you will have a new habit of not drinking.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #416
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I lve hearing everypne's stores of how you made it through the rough patches. I haven't had a drink since Oct 20,2008. But I remember the last time like it was yesterday. I don't ever want to revisit that place. Neither my husband nor myself keep it in the house. He hasn't had a drink since 1987. It does interfere with weight loss.

The binges with food were a lot harder to get in order. I would tell myself we all have to et and I would et all day long. There was and is no off switch. So I have to follow a more structured plan. It works for me and that's all that matters.

Praying for you all.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Just taking one day at a time. I know it's all me. I need to get it into my head it's something I want to do and then nothing will stop my. I have just been through so much lately and I felt like I needed something. I was an easy escape.

I now need to tell myself it's not only not in the budget, but it stops weigh loss. I have to get this weight off my spine so I stop hurting so badly. The last thing I need right now is another operation

So one day at a time. Lots of tea and coffee. I have also started to find something new to interest me so I research it day and night on the internet. Read, read, read and learn
Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #418
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Pcaltman, have you ever watched Forks over knives or read The China Study? Really good stuff.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Pcaltman, have you ever watched Forks over knives or read The China Study? Really good stuff.
I highly recommend these as well. They changed my life, the way I eat, my health and weight loss.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone feeling good and having a wonderful day .
I am happy to be here .