Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Still doing well here. AF. Just still busy. We got a big cold front and it's supposed to snow this weekend so I don't know when I'll be back on. I don't particularly like texting from my cell phone.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DoingItMyWay
Stats: 280/206/140
WOE: McDougall
Start Date: May 2012
OK, I'm in. Going to give up alcohol, again. *sigh*

I just can't lose weight when I have alcohol.

Day 1.
DoingItMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Me, too, MyWay.
I gave up the nearly daily habit several years ago. Now I really can't drink it at all if I want to lose weight. I drank a bit in October and November, not much, but I am convinced it has to do with my longest stall since my March restart. Any benefits are so short-lived as to be non-existent. I want to lose fat more than I want any alcohol. I trip up now and then, but am determined just dust myself off and keep to plan.
Let's all be strong this weekend!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #364
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Staying away from the alcohol has helped me too. Besides feeling better, I am focusing on what's really important.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #365
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saneandsafe
Hi friends,
I am clean and sober so I like this thread. I am treating my food addiction like I did the alcohol and drugs. I finally came out of denial about what I have been doing with food for 60 yrs. Almost two weeks since I made the "decision" to be sane and safe with food. It is challenging but I just have to make the "decision" every time I eat and it will get more normal and easier I am sure. I figure I had all those years of illicit food choices and it is the right time to break free from the constant trap I've been in. It took 3 yrs. of relapsing to get sober and I have been trying to break my addiction to foods for more years than that. So, this time feels different. I feel like I am armed with all the tools I need, just one day at a time.
saneandsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

It is one day at a time until it becomes habit. I don't even think about my eating anymore. I have been eating clean, my way, for about 18 months and have lost a significant amount of weight.

Now I just need to cut the alcohol out to continue my weight loss and continue to heal my body.

Day 2 almost in the bag.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #367
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome SaneandSafe and Doing ItMyWay. Thank you for sharing our experience.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Quote:
The cravings do pass just like they do for the food. It helps to have backup plans for when they hit. Like what other behaviors can you engage in besides eating or drinking when it happens. Since for me it is usually a feeling that generates the reaction, I need a backp plan. It is good to feel the feeling, so I find it helpful to call or write or read or pray or walk, either engaging another person to dissipate the feeling if it is negative or to share the joy if it is positive.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. While I don't actually crave alcohol in any normal sense, I crave the "escape" I *think* it will provide from whatever I'm feeling at the moment (my normal trigger is boredom in terms of any "problematic" drinking - though most of my drinking takes/took place in social settings, which seems more "healthy" environment-wise than the alone boredom or stressful triggers. I just get around this by being the DD these days. Plus it's more exciting to watch people make drunk fools of themselves than be the drunk fool lol).

But when the temptation hits in a non-social setting, I just start reading a book, learn about something new, or engage in a video game that I know I cannot effectively play when buzzed (lol, nerd problems). Going to the gym every day helps. Unfortunately, mine isn't 24/7 so I can't go when the temptation hits as it is usually later at night when the gym is closed for the day, but I remind myself how great that endorphin high is going to feel the next day and also remind myself of the negatives of drinking and how it's never really worth it (calories/dietary-wise, financially, emotionally, etc.). And reminding myself how much exercise it'll take just to burn off a few ounces of liquor helps too.

I did almost give in on Saturday though. I was out and about, still feeling quite awful over Wednesday's events, bored, and the cold winter months make it more tempting. I stopped at a liquor store on the way home essentially thinking to myself, "Oh, just a pint of vodka won't hurt this one day." I walked into the store, was in line to tell the clerk what I wanted, and before I was up, I thought to myself, "This isn't what I really want. This is just giving in to an old trigger and bad habit. You'll regret it later and it's never worthwhile." And then I left the store with nothing in hand. Interestingly enough, one of my friends sent me a text that night that essentially said they hated alcohol because "it's all happy then it's all sad," and I felt that my decision to not bother with it that night was very justified. Because that's exactly how I feel a good 90% of the time when drinking. There was more to the text conversation, but needless to say, that friend gave me an unintended reminder as to one of the emotional reasons I abstain.

So I'm happy to say I'm at Day 14.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

That's fantastic, talking yourself out of it while in line to buy. WTG, Hayek.
I like being able to walk through the alcohol section of the store and passing on the samples without a twinge.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #370
Blabbermouth!!!

Good going, Hyek! It does get easier so long you don't take the first sip. Before you know it, you'll be living the life you dreamed of.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Taking yourself out of line is HUGE!!

I'm plugging along here. For me I either drink when bored or cook. As you can imagine, I have been doing a lot of cooking and prepping but although I have thoughts of wishing I had a drink to cook with, it hasn't been even near overwhelming. I'm doing OK.

Working on day 5 here.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Good job on day 5, myway.
I am having a good today.
Stay strong everyone.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Quiet hereabouts . . . . how you all doing?

I am maintaining my calm and focus today.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

I'm doing OK. Yesterday was a bit of a challenge but just talked to my self (more like argued) and convinced myself that a glass of wine wasn't going to relieve my frustrations at the moment.

My challenge is, although I have talked to DH about this, he brings in lots of wine to the house and drinks it all evening 5 feet from me. He doesn't get drunk or anything but he will have 4 or so glasses throughout the evening. Generally, that doesn't bother me but yesterday we out doing stuff ALL day (yes, Black Friday) and we were all on edge, particularly me. When I got home, I really wanted to pour myself a glass of wine a relax for a moment before starting dinner. I didn't though.

1 fairly painless week under my belt. Onto week 2!

Last edited by DoingItMyWay; 11-30-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Old 11-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #375
Blabbermouth!!!

Doing It My Way, have you asked him to support you in your efforts to stop drinking by not to bring it home or not to drink all night? It is all about having an environment that is conducive to sobriety. Is he afraid of how life might change if you stop drinking?

I found journaling really helped me and praying for the other people wishing for them everything you would want for yourself. We can't control others, we can only control our own choices and reactions. You did good yeaterday. You feel better today without having to recover from the wine. When I used to have wine, even one or two glasses, my head would feel like it was stuffed with cotton balls the next day...really numbed out. I was worthless.

Life is so much different today ... For the better. Keep up the good work!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

MyWay, my heart goes out to you, because it IS hard with temptation so close at hand. My husband drinks some but I've never seen him to have a drinking "problem" as much as I have. He turned from beer many years ago to spirits, whereas I turned from beer to too much wine. (There is also alcoholism in my family of origin, and not in his that I know of.) It has helped me that I really don't care for what he drinks, and while he doesn't hide it, it's generally not visible to me, which is a good thing. I started drinking beer again last year when my daughters brought some home for the holidays. I am not blaming them, and I didn't drink much, but it sure didn't help me at all. The slippery slope for me is a very gradual decline, but my drinking does pick up pace over time. I don't have great advice for you, just as you say, one day at a time. I can sincerely say as others say that it is a lot easier with greater distance from the last drink. My drinking this year has always been a reaction to emotional distress. No doubt that is always my trigger. I have to be vigilant. I also KNOW now that I cannot lose weight with alcohol in my diet. Vanity plus vigilance, I guess. Two weeks now since my last drink . . . . so I am happy to do the day by day thing with you and other posters.

Last edited by Patience; 12-01-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #377
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmlloyd
Stats: 206/183.5/140 <- :)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2013
I am glad there is a place for this.
I had a bad evening this weekend. I am tired of the constant struggle I face with alcohol. For the most part I ended up so wasted i choose not to recount the events, I can remember them and it doesn't help the situation, but i wanted to leave from where i was and NOBODY would come get me. i feel stupid even talking about it. It made me realize that I wasn't drinking to be social, b.c it started before I even went out and began socializing. My husband drag races and almost every weekend we are in the RV at the track, I have spare time even when i help and after this weekend, I know I have a problem. It's not so much the drink, it's drinking and not being able to stop once I started. My grandfather and mother were alcoholics. My grandfather had cirrhosis of the liver from abuse. I get those twinges when I'm by myself, the need to relax. This is a problem b/c I am in school and really need to be sober to study. for the most part I can go about 1 week with out a drink. But it never fails when the weekend comes, I have that pull again. As much exposure to this as I was growing up you would think I would be the 1st one to say no. After this weekend, I want to be free from the alcohol, i want to think clearly, i want my body to be free from the affects. not just the weight loss factor, but my physical and emotional clarity.
I feel guilty, embarrassed, and almost ashamed for the way I acted. Like a damned fool.
Now a male could pull off being stupid drunk, but when a woman does it, well that's a different story. It always starts slow a beer here and there, then a shot, then another then the next weekend it's a full blown binge. I have gotten so black out drunk at home by myself I broke my toes b/.c I ran into a wall. I have hidden it. Bought it and drank while driving so I didn't have to bring it in the house. Gotten the airplane shots so i could take them with me when we went to events.
I had tapered off a couple of years ago, but it has crept back on me and I know now I need to be aware of it, and be able to face it head on.
So as of today this is day 2 with out a drink. Yesterday I fought a pretty bad hang over. Not one with a head ache but those that make you feel ill and all you want to do is sleep all day, oh yeah with a side of guilt.
I am cleaning today and then I think I will go get some sunshine.
I sincerely agree with the mantra that it gets easier the further away from your last sip. I just wish there was someway I could go back and never had taken my first one.
I will get there - but I hope all of you don't mind if I join this group for my sanity so maybe I can get some support from those who understand that it's not as easy as saying I quit. I'm glad ya'll understand.
cmlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Please feel welcome to join in cm.
Support is important.
Congratulations on day 2!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #379
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, cmlloyd. I'll be praying for you so you have strength to say no thank you when it presents itself.

Has anyone read the Big Book of AA?
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #380
Junior LCF Member

I appreciate the welcome, and what is the Big Book of AA?
My step-dad once upon a time ago, started to go to AA meetings and I would go with him and listen. But that was when I was young and it never really dawned on me b/c I was young and invincible.
Today has gone by okay. I am depressed, but stronger, and my house is clean. I have told my husband about my plans to not drink anymore and I think he will be supportive. You know i can say no in social settings - It's more when I am alone that gets it started.
But I will be stronger than the sting of my tears, I have to, for me and my family.
BTW your weight loss is inspiring Mary Mary, how long did it take you?
&
Tell me about that book.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #381
Blabbermouth!!!

Cmlloyd, it took me five years as I lost very slowly, had a relapse where I regained 75 lbs and then it took me 3 years to lose the 75 and an extra 5.

Big Book can be found for free if you do a search on the internet. It was originally written in the 30's when AA was founded.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 174.5/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Hi all just checking in. Working on being AF for the whole month of Dec.

Have a great day
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Day 21 here.

While I think aspects of it gets easier as it goes along especially with my arguments to myself against drinking, a part of me finds it easier to cave the further along I come because my "new" argument becomes "look how far you've abstained, you can get yourself something now without it being a big deal." But I overcame that hurdle last night lol.

Work is winding down so I have less to occupy my time with and the holidays that bring extended time to certain family members I'd rather not see make it more enticing to drink, but I'll just do what I did last night when the boredom hit: Input the calories into my tracker and remind myself how much gym time it's going to take burn that off and remind myself how much better I'll feel not using those calories at all.

Wednesday will be a test day again because it's possible there will be a repeat of the stressful events from two weeks ago or something different/worse comes up.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys! Doing OK here. In fact, it was sometime in the evening on both Sat. and Sun that I realized I hadn't thought about alcohol all day. That in and of itself is progress.

Mary, my husband is not a very empathetic or supportive person. His opinion is if I don't want any alcohol, then it is better for me to learn to be strong around its presence. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he has a problem with alcohol, he just enjoys having some after work.

CM, we are all here for you. Stay strong in your commitment.

Hayek, I totally get what you mean by getting further out brings on its own set of problems. For me, it is when I hit around the 1 month mark, my brain starts thinking 'I have this under control now. I can stop anytime. See, I just did it. Now, I should be able to have a drink or two socially and be OK.' It never works that way though. I'm not saying that some day that won't be true, but 1 month is certainly not long enough to put me in control of the slippery slope. That I have learned.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItMyWay View Post
Hayek, I totally get what you mean by getting further out brings on its own set of problems. For me, it is when I hit around the 1 month mark, my brain starts thinking 'I have this under control now. I can stop anytime.
Definitely relate to this. Fortunately, I don't seem to crave it as strongly as others on this thread do because my triggers and relationship with alcohol are different. This puts me in a somewhat odd position because it's "easier" to have more control over it (compared to others struggling) which makes it seem like I can do it without any "real" consequence, and this makes it more likely to be loosey goosey with abstaining completely (at least if I want to argue with myself about it).

But, on the other side of the coin, I still think seeing others struggle with it is helpful in countering that argument because it's always possible to slip into allowing it to be a bad habit, such as when I first started here at LCF when I drank about twice (sometimes three times) a week, and in massive amounts (sometimes up to a fifth in a evening). I'd usually toggle between that and abstaining, but it doesn't mean I couldn't slip into letting that be a regular thing.

Since then, I significantly cut back and keto kind of forced volume moderation as I've mentioned before. But even drinking once or twice a month wasn't satisfying - even though I'd consider that in moderation (and the most I could drink was a pint compared to my high volumes before). So I think much of it just has to do with one's feelings and "personal" relationship with alcohol. Sure, I managed moderation in theory, sure I still managed to be under my normal calorie goal, and sure I could financially swing it, but even with moderation, I'd often still feel guilty for drinking, especially if it was a night where it caused emotional disturbances. And because of that, along with things I've mentioned in previous posts, I determined that even in moderation, alcohol simply isn't worth it. Plus, you never know when the "ability" to moderate might turn into an inability to do so. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #386
Junior LCF Member

Doingitmyway- I tapered off for a long time and didnt drink for about 2 months and then it started up again slowly, and began to build again.
I am on day 3 stilling feeling the guilt of making a total fool of myself.
DH decides to go over all of my bad points last night. I got up from the table and decided not to let his bad talk effect my feelings. I already feel stupid, I dont need help with that.
I know what I need to do and I'm going to do it.
MaryMary-I started reading the big book and I can relate - the verbage is old english, but I'm glad that Im not the only one who has felt some of what is being talked about in the book. It doesnt make me feel any less guilty but it does ease my mind a bit to know that I am human after all and I am in control of me.
I will remind myself at the start of the day, how good a clear head feels. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #387
Junior LCF Member

Working on Day 4.
Fog is lifting, which is good.

I was wondering if there were little things that you all do when hit with the feeling.
Like do laundry or go for a walk or write a letter, or journal.
Things that get you through the day just a little easier.

We have a neighbor who has a daughter, and she was a beautiful girl....absolutely gorgeous. She got into drugs and alcohol, heavy drugs, not just "brownie drugs."
Well, she came over last night and said she couldn't get her phone to work and needed to use another line so they could help her get her phone activated b/c her other one had been stolen..... so I let her use the house phone. When she came in this girl of about 30 looked on the edge of 50 or older. I could not believe my eyes her eyes were sunk in, her complexion was almost gray. I realize we all age, and that's fine, but to see what addiction has done to this poor girl's youth, just wrenched my gut.
I am on day 4. and the fog is lifting.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 174.5/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
you all are doing great.

I have trouble with 4-6pm. All the kids are home, the dogs are going nuts wanting to play, the cat yelping for dinner, the neighbors kids come over, I am cooking dinner, hubby comes home, the phone rings off the hook, laundry going, dishwasher going, tv on, just nuts and very stressful. If I have a glass of wine I can distress. Don't really get it, because one glass isn't really going to do anything, but it always help. Now I need to figure out what to do during that time to make things a bit more clam around here so I don't stress out. That's the hard part. I can cut out a few things, like dish washer and laundry, but not really the rest.

I am going to try to substitute my wine with a cup of tea or something

Keep it up all and have a great day!!!!!!
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #389
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
So I had thought about trying to have a few drinks around Christmas/My Birthday (26th) but I really don't think I will. I'm scared to. Scared it will awaken the sleeping monster. I rather it sleep for now.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Everyone is doing awesome!

pcaltman ~ substituting tea for wine sounds like a great idea. Don't they have calming teas? I have one of those insulated cups with a straw that I carry everywhere with me. I find it takes my mind off alcohol when I am cooking. Time also helps because the habits weaken over time.

cm ~ There's nothing in particular that I do when thoughts of having a drink come to mind. I just talk to myself and continue on with whatever I am doing. So far, I have only had to do that once in the last 10 days or so. Each day definitely gets easier.

Last edited by DoingItMyWay; 12-03-2013 at 06:24 AM..