Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #211
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sewinheaven
Alcohol and weight loss

Well I just found this forum. I watched PBS last night on the Virgin Diet. Going to try it, it seems pretty easy. Wine is my downfall, love it! Need to give this a good hard try. I am hypothyroid, and have gained 18 pounds in three years.
Sewinheaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/254.5/150
WOE: LC/Mod Protein/HF
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Welcome Sewinheaven! Yep, I love my wine, too! I am unfamiliar with The Virgin Diet. I'll go google it..

Okay-back from googling it.. It sounds perfect - other than having to cut out dairy. I am so hooked on dairy! I know I have a slight food allergy to some dairy but other than booze I find it the hardest to give up.. Wheat and gluten - no problem (other than Michelob Ultra).. But cheese and cream in my coffee?

I gave up dairy and gluten for 30 days last summer during a detox. I did lose weight, but I was also eating much better. I didn't "feel" any better. It's hard to keep away from things you love when they don't outwardly make you feel poorly. I've been told that if I go longer, like up to six months, and then try those foods again, I'll probably get a negative reaction.

I think that I want to get my first 10-20% off to just feel better in general. At that time I'll probably semi-stall and it'll be the perfect time to cut out all gluten and dairy. That sounds like procrastinating doesn't it?? haha, that's my middle name!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon

Last edited by dipgal; 03-07-2013 at 05:22 AM..
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #213
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Hey Stevie,
Yes, I am new at this. I've been needing to start a long time ago, but didn't know about this site. Glad I'm not alone anymore.
This i a great site. So many forums and nice people. I have been here for many years now. I hope you get the online support and knowledge to be healthy.

I have family in Mamou. Are you near there?

Today is day 2 no wine. I feel so much better today! Woke up grateful, thankful and ready to be in the moment with clarity and not the need for a nap. I do have alcohol in the house but I am going to do my best and hold strong.

Big hugs to all
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #214
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
, Stevie. I'm going to be right behind you, come Monday. Needing a nap is exactly how I feel right now. I've been drinking too much this past week and it's because I know it's all coming to an end. Stupid, isn't it? Like I'll never be able to drink anything again in the future. I already know that's not the way I want to live. That's not my immediate goal. I want to simply turn it off for a while and see how the other half lives.

I googled the Virgin Diet, too. I had never heard of it before. I read the excerpts and some of the reviews on Amazon. It sounds simple but the more I read, the more I could see how hard it would be to construct a meal plan that contained "none of the above." I like the idea of stopping certain things to see how you feel, but I doubt I could do all 7 of those at once. One reviewer said she also requires (or recommends) organic veggies, grass-fed meats, free-range chicken, yada, yada. It's a complicated "simple" diet.

If I were to try to see if I had food sensitivities, I'd drop one of those things for a while and see how I felt by eliminating that food group. I think I'd have to start with dairy because I love cheese and sour cream and butter and cream in my coffee, etc. A life without dairy would be quite a bummer. But if it meant I had zero inflammation and bloat? It might be worth the compromise.

But one hurdle at a time! First will be the drinking. The countdown has begun.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/178/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
, Stevie. I'm going to be right behind you, come Monday. Needing a nap is exactly how I feel right now. I've been drinking too much this past week and it's because I know it's all coming to an end. Stupid, isn't it? Like I'll never be able to drink anything again in the future. I already know that's not the way I want to live. That's not my immediate goal. I want to simply turn it off for a while and see how the other half lives.

I googled the Virgin Diet, too. I had never heard of it before. I read the excerpts and some of the reviews on Amazon. It sounds simple but the more I read, the more I could see how hard it would be to construct a meal plan that contained "none of the above." I like the idea of stopping certain things to see how you feel, but I doubt I could do all 7 of those at once. One reviewer said she also requires (or recommends) organic veggies, grass-fed meats, free-range chicken, yada, yada. It's a complicated "simple" diet.

If I were to try to see if I had food sensitivities, I'd drop one of those things for a while and see how I felt by eliminating that food group. I think I'd have to start with dairy because I love cheese and sour cream and butter and cream in my coffee, etc. A life without dairy would be quite a bummer. But if it meant I had zero inflammation and bloat? It might be worth the compromise.

But one hurdle at a time! First will be the drinking. The countdown has begun.
I'm eliminating Gluten from my daughter's diet to see if it might help her severe eczema. It's been getting worse and worse , especially on her hands and feet, and her pediatrican referred us to the Denver Children's hospital. This has been day one, and she said she didn't eat the taco shell at lunch, and only ate 1 cheeto tonight when her brother dug into the bag. She's a smart cookie, so I hope this experiment will be successful. I've never had to restrict anyone but myself food-wise before.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
This i a great site. So many forums and nice people. I have been here for many years now. I hope you get the online support and knowledge to be healthy.

I have family in Mamou. Are you near there?

Today is day 2 no wine. I feel so much better today! Woke up grateful, thankful and ready to be in the moment with clarity and not the need for a nap. I do have alcohol in the house but I am going to do my best and hold strong.

Big hugs to all
Ditto, today is day 2 with no beer. Not sure where Mamou is, but I'm out of Shreveport about 20 east. Happy for this site. People are soooo supportive.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #217
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Good morning all.
Today is day 3. I noticed that yesterday, I was done with my responsibilities and I sure was tempted to indulge. I didn't however - and this group helped me - because I do have a reason and I do have a plan. Onward!

I wish everyone a very thoughtful, well intended day!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

I had one glass of red wine last night.. I like white so much better than red, so I wasn't tempted to have a second glass or a "topper". I am going grocery shopping today, and it is a weekend, so we'll see whether I put any white wine in my cart. Michelob Ultra will go in the cart for sure because I can stick with no more than 2.. 195 calories and 5 carbs total.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #219
Big Yapper!

Snowdancer, that's amazing that your young daughter is following such a tough plan. Gluten is tough to stay away from. I hope it helps her eczema.

Lindy, for you too! I'm really ready to put this latest drinking streak behind me. It's out of control. I have woken up with a mild to moderate hangover for the past 4 days. Not so much today, but by no means is my head light and clear.

Stevie, another emoticon for you! That's wonderful that the group helped you when you were tempted to give in. It's tough to stay strong when those desires come knocking.

As for me, just today and tomorrow left to finish my wine and beer. Then I dry out for all of Sunday (or maybe the last half of Sunday, since I only need to be off booze for 24 hours before taking the first Antabuse pill.)

I've been reading that book I mentioned before, "Dry. A Memoir." It's still tough in places but I'm getting a lot out of it. He's out of rehab now and beginning to get back into his job, attend AA meetings and is in outpatient therapy 4 x a week. The AA meetings are daily. "90 meetings in 90 days." Apparently the 90 day mark is very significant for those who are in recovery.

Reading this is changing my idea of AA meetings. I'm not sure if I'll continue to feel that way, but his description of his first meeting made an impact on my. There was a woman there who has literally months left to live and she chose to do it sober; to take back what little time she had rather than to go to her grave in a fog, numbing her feelings. I think that's remarkable. And stuff like that makes me really think.

I had a meeting to attend at work today but it's being rescheduled to Monday because of our newest little snow storm. That makes me cause now I don't have to rush right out there and dig out. The storm is still in progress, though supposedly winding down and ending this afternoon. It's a really heavy, wet snow. It slid off the hood of my car from the sheer mass of it. Looks like it's changing over to sleet now.

Have a nice day, ladies. Whatever our goal for today is, may we be committed to it.

Last edited by CherylB; 03-08-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyvamp
Stats: 171.5/150.6/145
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/7/13 restart 12/16/13
Heading into my 3rd weekend with no alcohol, I cannot remember the last time I went this long...its not months, we are talking years! I lost 5lbs in the 1st 10 days, and now nothing, I am pretty dissapointed in that. I track my calories and I work out 6 to 7 days a week, so I am stumped. Oh well, I am not quitting this time, the weight will come off eventually. I just need to focus on the positives, my skin is looking good, my eyes are brighter, I sleep all night, I am not devouring crap food because of hangovers, so I am eating very healthy.
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #221
Big Yapper!

That's awesome, Cyvamp! Your body is going through a big adjustment and soon it will let go of some more weight. You're on a healing pathway and that's what counts.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyvamp View Post
Heading into my 3rd weekend with no alcohol, I cannot remember the last time I went this long...its not months, we are talking years! I lost 5lbs in the 1st 10 days, and now nothing, I am pretty dissapointed in that. I track my calories and I work out 6 to 7 days a week, so I am stumped. Oh well, I am not quitting this time, the weight will come off eventually. I just need to focus on the positives, my skin is looking good, my eyes are brighter, I sleep all night, I am not devouring crap food because of hangovers, so I am eating very healthy.
Good for you!
Hangover eating is the worst. I have been awful this week, drinking and eating. I can see it in my skin too! Yesterday I ended up eating a carb lunch b/c at work we were snowed in and I was starving. Afterwards I did my usual failure attitude of might as well have pasta for dinner since I already blew it. Could've been worse I had Cadbury mini eggs in my cart but put them back. I want to get right back on track and seriously with the drinking. I started yesterday with a coffee/vodka sf vanilla syrup drink then a few glasses of wine and then switched to whiskey and coke zero. So yup feel like crap and want to eat a massive meal.
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

I failed, I ended up having 2 screwdrivers last night. My son is special needs and was having a total meltdown, when I finally got him calmed down I just caved and had a drink. I am so dissapointed in myself. Of course it didn't stop there, I ended up eating crap too
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Today is a new day. I remember when my son used to have those days. I think that's when I started drinking regularly. I was home with the 3 of them all day and my oldest who at the time was undiagnosed but has aspergers once they were all in bed I would start with the wind down cocktails.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/178/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
My dear boss showed up at work yesterday (doesn't come in on Friday's) and brought me a handle of vodka she'd tried and really liked. Hard to let it go to waste
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #226
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Im doing well. A week AF. I haven't been around this thread though because its been triggering me.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #227
Big Yapper!

I was wondering about "triggers", too. I find that if I get a lot of compliments and accolades over things like dieting, exercising, abstaining from liquor, etc that it can actually create a desire in me to derail. Does anyone else experience that? If so, are we designed somehow to be uncomfortable with praise? Are we so used to failing that we just feel more comfortable doing what comes naturally?

I'm asking because I know I find that I have this nasty trait and if any of you have it too, maybe we can talk about it and figure out what's at the bottom of it. I don't want to be making a big deal when one of you is doing great only to tip the scales and make things worse for you. And I don't want that to happen to me when I'm doing well, too.

Anyway, , MsWoods! And to those who caved. I can certainly understand the need to decompress after a very hard day. And it is hard to say no when someone offers you something. You don't want to be the oddball. What is a "handle of vodka", BTW?

Today is my last drinking day. I have a big fund raising thing to attend tonight and then when I get back home, I will polish off the beer that is in my fridge. All the wine is now gone, as of last night. I hate how all those bottles pile up in the recycle bin. Makes me feel even more guilty. And I live in a duplex so I am very conscious of when I put the recycle stuff out there in the large bin. I usually don't dump my stuff until it's at the curb (the night before pick up) and late at night. Gee, .... I wonder if I have a problem.

I'm excited and relieved to be putting this little binge behind me. I want to really focus on my weight loss goals and get back to the gym as well. I want to swim on a regular basis.

Have a great day, ladies. I'll be back later, or maybe not until tomorrow. We'll see. Wish me luck! I have social anxiety pretty bad and this "thing" I'm going to tonight lasts 5 whole hours. Not sure how I'm going to drink or if I should just not drink until I get back home. I don't want these people to see me in an unfavorable light.

Last edited by CherylB; 03-09-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Snowdancer..I relate, I am a stay at home Mom, my son is autistic. He used to have over a dozen meltdowns a day when he was under 3. Thats when I started drinking wine, only after bedtime..it was quiet for once, and I loved the relaxed feeling. He is almost 8 now, and most days he does really well, but oh man, those days he isn't...whew. now i am craving again, this sucks
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Possibly we should split this thread into sections..I can see how it could be a trigger. And there are so many emotional components to examine.. let's think about it and share thoughts tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #230
Big Yapper!

I know what you mean, dipgal. Maybe we should make two threads: one for those who want to stop drinking and one for those who want to slow it down. I'd have to straddle the two threads I guess, but for right now, I'd be content to stick to the AF one.

I am drinking my last beer right now and I am thinking, "Why not just drink tomorrow too? What difference does it make?" Wow! That phrase is one that repeats and repeats in my head throughout my life. It's a phrase from the pits of Hell.

Goodnight, ladies. Bless each of you tonight and tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

We do have two things basically going on here. Those who want to be AF and those who know they should but aren't ready to give it up. I totally get it being a trigger, but I love this thread and knowing there are others like me. I guess what I was hoping to get out of this is someone was going to give me the Miracle cure to lose weight while drinking. Instead I had some good AF days and some bad days. The AF days did show me how much better I felt and hearing the stories from others helped to see how dysfunctional my behavior is and want to change. My point is I would not know which one to go to, like I would feel I had to stay away from the AF board to not contribute to the delinquency of others.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #232
Big Yapper!

Well, there is such a thing as "The Drinking Man's Diet." Dr Atkins mentions it somewhere in his book but I have never researched it. No clue what it's like.

I personally like the one thread for alcohol support we've got going. Maybe reading some of the posts from us who are going to abstain will help the rest of you who might be "on the fence", not knowing which direction to go in. I vote to keep it all one thread.

Today is my "drying out" day, tomorrow night I take my first Antabuse pill. Weight loss plan is underway once again. Spring is in the air! All good things happening in my neck of the woods this fine day. Thank you, dear Lord!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #233
Big Yapper!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love this thread as well. Just seeing most people here still drinking triggers me.

Maybe we could have 2 threads, those who are currently not drinking, and those who are, so either way, if I slip (as I did last night), I can go into the thread where others are drinking, or if I'm not, I can be in the thread with those who are not drinking?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Hello everyone.

I hope you don't mind another person joining. I've been slowly reading this thread over the past few days and relate to many of you so much. You all seem so nice and non-judgmental which is really what I need -- I've had all the judgement I can handle for one lifetime!

One of my current goals is to drink less alcohol -- which is a pretty loose goal, considering that until a few weeks ago, I was drinking every single night, sometimes a full bottle of wine per night. I don't get hangovers and alcohol doesn't seem to effect my weight one way or the other, but that much drinking just can't be good for you. Not even "healthy" red wine.

I love wine. I love drinking just generally and have since I had my first glass of wine as a tween, but in the past few years I've gone from being the sort of person who drinks because I'm having fun (having friends over for dinner, meeting co-workers for a few cocktails, etc.) to someone who drinks because I'm sad and lonely. Three years ago I moved from Portland OR to Minnesota and I'm not happy here. My husband and I don't have any friends and don't really fit in and it's just a tough situation for us. DH has a full-time-plus job and I'm home all day with my daughters -- both of whom have special needs. My older daughter is especially challenging (autism + ADHD).

I'm definitely leaning too much on alcohol to make my life better and we all know how that story ends. As of today I'm four days AF and taking it one day at a time. I don't plan to quit entirely but I don't want it as a part of my everyday life anymore.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #235
Big Yapper!!!!

I went ahead and started another thread for those not drinking at the moment, just to keep it separate for those who may be triggered by others drinking.

Daily Alcohol Challenge:Currently Not Drinking Edition
Old 03-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #236
Big Yapper!

Well, thanks for doing that, MsWoods. But since my not-drinking is due to taking a pill every day, I don't think there is much to be gained by talking about it on a thread; whether a drinking one or a non-drinking one. If I participate in a thread of either nature, that just means I'm thinking about booze. So, I am going to bow out for now and if I decide the Antabuse isn't working for me, I'll be back with y'all.

Best of luck to each of you!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Man, I always hit these threads just as everyone else is heading out!
Good luck to both of you, Cheryl and Michelle.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #238
Big Yapper!

I think that's the problem inherent in making two threads. We are forced to choose and sometimes we choose to just "split." I don't think it would bother me to stick around with the drinkers but I'm probably better off just not thinking or talking about booze.

Knittering, !!!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Well I'm still here. I get what ms woods is saying but for me I'm not in the abstain place nor do I honestly think I will ever be. I need to know about the drinking mans diet!!! Lol.
Anyone ever notice a difference in their anxiety level with drinking and/or eating carbs? I think I noticed less anxiety on my weeks where I was we'll behaved in both areas. I get these crazy mini panic attacks sometimes particularly at work. It's been moly main motivator for clean eating. Just wondered if anyone else ever experienced anything similar?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
Beer used to be my cheat. still love it but vodka rum with some kind of no carb fizzy in it works ror me.
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote