Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Still AF here. Last night was tough. I just can't catch a break in life. My bf's car is got much more problems than originally hoped for and right now the bill is sitting at $715. It's still in the shop. Have to borrow money just to cover that. We are fighting like crazy over this car situation and it's stressing me out. I wanted to go to the liquor store so bad but I didn't. Hmmmph. I just need to catch a break. Come on life.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Congratulations on your promotion MsQueen! Awesome news.

Michelle- I'm sorry you and your BF are having such a tough time, hug's coming your way
You are doing so great being AF and quitting smoking and dieting all at the same time - I am envious - I don't know how you are doing it - but KUTGW!
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MSQueen68
Stats: 207/207/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: August 2013
MsWoods, I stand in awe. Lesser things have made me think I needed a drink or something chocolatey. Keep fighting the good fight. I was so not good last night out with my co-workers. They are very enabling. They bought me some of my favorite wine as a going away present. It's like is the universe trying to tell me something as it just keeps putting alcohol in my path?!

But tomorrow is Friday, the end to a very long week!!!
MSQueen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I agree. I also believe you cannot lose weight while drinking. However, I haven't lost any and I haven't drank I've been eating way too much, though. I contribute that to all the stress going on in my life, and the stopping smoking.

I think part of my problem is that I can lose weight and drink. In all honesty, I have 2-3 stiff drinks a night, usually vodka and crystal light, and I've lost 30+ lbs since October. I'm sure it would be more if I didn't drink. I've spent the last week wishing I wasn't such an addict and could afford a good therapist. I don't want to drink, but it's so ingrained in my being, I just can't imagine a quality of life without alcohol (which is completely stupid). I just finished reading a book that was recommended on the previous alcohol related thread called "Drinking, a Love Story". It's a memoir, and although the lady who wrote it let a completely different lifestyle than me, the rationalizations and excuses are the same. I think my favorite quote of the book was "Maybe I don't drink because I'm depressed. Maybe I'm depressed because I drink". So true, and such a simple thing to see if your not the person who is doing the drinking.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Mswoods you are doing so good with not drinking and smoking! Be very proud of that! It's okay if your eating more right now, there is only so much a person can deal with at once!

Snow dancer congrats on the 30lbs.

I have been for from perfect, but I've lost 10 lbs this month. Went AF 14 days, not in a row but that is big for me. Going for at least 15 next month!
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tskb
Stats: 219.6/160
WOE: Atkins 7/8/13
I have just read all 5 pages of this thread and completely can relate with each of you on some level. Like a few of you me and BF have been together 12 years with no kids which makes it so much easier to make excuses. We have gone a few months without alcohol but to be honest when we don't have it it's like we don't know what to do with ourselves. It is such a huge part of our life that when it is missing we don't function well together. Not that things go bad between us it just seems like we need to have something to occupy our time and minds. Our drink of choice is tequila and beer and always TRY and keep it to Friday and Saturday only. I drink Michelob Ultra but without the tequila shot I don't care for beer at all. During the week I like to have a glass of wine if I have not made a stop at the liquer store which is on my way home from work. I find myself rationalizing as I come up on the exit if I should stop or not. Make excuses when I do stop and get anxious when I pass the exit that there is no turning back so that means nothing to drink tonight. BF had a big alcohol scare a few years ago and we have cut way back but we are starting to get back into that old pattern again and I don't want to go there. I know this is in my way of losing weight. When I drink I eat anything I can find. Usually it is full of sugar and sweets. When we don't drink BF has to have something sugary to fill the void of the alcohol sugars he is not getting. I am starting Atkins (again) and I want to make this a lifestyle change something manageable that I know I can continue. I will be 46 in March and I can't live like this and be miserable for the rest of my life. I am so grateful to find a group that is honest about alcohol so I can be honest about how I am dealing with my addiction as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Welcome tskb! I just went through that same scenario on my way home last night. I went back and forth in my head and as I approached the store decided I would keep going and hit a read light. I was sitting there thinking, seriously?!?! I did not stop, but it's really literally a one day at a time battle. I don't want to stop drinking its a huge part of my life and most of it I enjoy, but it's the everyday hold. It's the not knowing what to do when I'm not drinking. For example last night I ate and just went to bed. I am learning, having he breaks in drinking last month showed me I felt better in the morning and functioned so much better that it is now a motivator for me. I also have found I like going to bed early and havin time to read. So far of feb I am just 1 day AF.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Hey all! Welcome Sherri! I thought I was doing good last week and on Friday and Saturday, I successfully drank in "moderation", i.e. just 2 glasses of wine instead of the whole bottle however, Sunday, feeling so proud of myself I was unable to stop at 1 or 2. Bad consequences for me is that I have terrible, unremitting acid reflux at night when I drink anymore. I'm pretty much a red wine drinker and it's not even heartburn anymore. It's just flat out acid that comes back and burns. It was so painful Sunday night, worst I've ever had. Feels like it is burning straight through my throat and nothing makes it stop (meds don't work immediately on reflux, ice cream "soothes" the burn to a degree and bread feels like it soaks up the acid - all carbs).

And this has been happening every time, even when I had wine in moderation. I'm really upset that I have to give it up but I'm so scared of having serious esophageal problems as my father died really young from esophageal cancer. And so no wine or alcohol last night and I too sat there and was like, gee what do I do for fun now??? I went to bed way earlier than usual. Anyway, I feel like this HAS to be my lifestyle now. I don't want serious complications with my health. I'm so scared to go to a doctor, that they'll do labwork and my drinking will somehow "show up" on labwork. I'm quite anxious anyway going to dr's and this is no help.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Hope everyone does great this week!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

I had a bad beer weekend but I knew I would because we went out to a motorcycle event on Friday and then Super Bowl. I did not drink yesterday and am planning on not drinking any for the rest of the week.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #130
Junior LCF Member

OK small victory tonight! Stopped to get some supper tonight and this store we go to is like a little gourmet market and they had this huge display of Spanish wine, a garnacha. First of all, OMG, love my Spanish wine and secondly, one of my favorite Spanish grapes is Garnacha. Not too many places carry Spanish wine, much less my favorite kind (usually they have tempranillo/rioja). But I just walked on by. I pointed it out to my husband but I kept on going. It's been a really rough long day at work and it's only Tuesday! But I didn't cave. I'm so glad. I slept so good last night. No wine = no reflux. So I'm proud of myself for just walking on by and not caving! Just wanted to share.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

We should focus on that. How good does it feel when you wake up well rested and not a puffy feeling and unfocused after drinking. I almost caved last night, after a busy day at work my husband asked if I planned in drinking I said I really wanted to. He ended up going out buying tequila, vodka, and pizza. I walked by the pizza and ate left over pork roast and veggies from the night before. Lingered around the booze but ended up not having any. Feeling good about that. Then, lol he lectures me this morning on how bad it is I put cheese on everything, ( my eggs). Duh. Well I woke up down a lb
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #132
Junior LCF Member

You know, I was watching this tv show the other day and that day after puffy feeling is called "bloatcoat". Never heard that one before.

OK - remind me again why I'm doing this??? I'm so craving steak and today was one of those days. It's been such a long week and it's only Wednesday. I would so love a grilled steak and some wine tonight. Holy cow.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdancer79 View Post
I just finished reading a book that was recommended on the previous alcohol related thread called "Drinking, a Love Story". It's a memoir, and although the lady who wrote it let a completely different lifestyle than me, the rationalizations and excuses are the same. I think my favorite quote of the book was "Maybe I don't drink because I'm depressed. Maybe I'm depressed because I drink". So true, and such a simple thing to see if your not the person who is doing the drinking.

Ahhh... maybe me that recommended this. Great book. Highly recommended.

Im just lurking.. popping in to say hi to you gals.

Keep up the good work. I had to pretty much banish alcohol from my life. What started as just a drink here and there became a daily habit and almost completely destroyed my health.
Im finally recovering. Feels good.

Have a great Thursday
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

I had been doing great until last weekend. Then I drank. But I lasted almost 2 weeks. I drank again last night I have pms bad and I've just still been having a hard time in life. But I'm back on the wagon again today.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

Oh my, the other night when I was craving steak and some red wine (and BTW I did NOT have any and am still craving tonight) I am seriously PMS'g, work has been an absolute PIA like just freaking non-stop and my DH is on my last freaking nerve. It just all piles up. And then, I feel like because I can't/won't have any red wine and it's what I really want that I'm eating everything that isn't nailed down to replace what I really want. Plus the hormones aren't helping. I ate like a freakin' pig today, no lie. There is NO SUCH THING as a "good" buffet. Esp'ly when it has grits on it and black eyed peas and oh, I was so very very bad today.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee-L
Stats: 172/110/115
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: June 5, 2012
Love this thread. I am new here, but not new to low carb. Alcohol was a nonnegotiable for me when I started. Hubby and I have been running a small bar out of our home for years. We participate in the festivities almost daily. I never gave up drinking, not even during induction. Many have crucified me and said that I'm not really doing Atkins if I don't give up alcohol, but a 60 lb loss in 4 months tells me otherwise. I drink vodka with water and mio. (Better than crystal light because it is Splenda). Good luck to everyone who quits alcohol, I'm just not willing to do it at this time.
Dee-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

I was in was of those situations yesterday that suck when your low carbing. My step mom invited me for dinner, my daughter was already over so I couldn't say no altogether, but. Said I will visit but can't stay for dinner on a special diet. My daughter told her i won't eat it but still she made dinner, had wine waiting for me. Of course I drank the glass she poured as I had just gotten out of a very long day at work. The. She made my dinner special, "low fat" chicken parm and pasta. I had the chicken even though I knew she had floured and lightly breaded and the sauce prob had more sugar than I normally allow. I told her I couldn't have the pasta and I ignored the crackers and chips I normally have when having wine with her. I think I did ok for the situation but I hate that. It's the hardest part of low carbing cause other people don't get it. Just that will throw me off a few days or at least a day.

Last edited by leaving30something; 02-08-2013 at 04:53 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I have been doing very badly in the alcohol department! But am still trying! Must stay away from happy hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tskb
Stats: 219.6/160
WOE: Atkins 7/8/13
Yea I have been very bad in the alcohol department and being Friday it's only going to continue. I feel the need to celebrate the fact that it is the weekend! It seems like there is always something to celebrate though.
tskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #140
Junior LCF Member

You know, it seems we are all alike in so many ways, I feel like saying, We ought to get together for happy hour some day!!!

I have a question for Dee-L: whenever I drink, no matter what, I feel the need to eat. When you drink, do you not get that way??? and I read somewhere too, like a recent article or something that when using a low cal drink mixer with alcohol that you get drunker faster (thanks Fresca and vodka - if only I had known a head of time!) than if you used a regular full on sugar mixer. Do you notice that? I just wish if I could drink I could sew my mouth shut and not eat everything in sight.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

LOL msqueens!

I am the same way with eating and drinking. Being stuck in the snow storm=drinks. Last night I started eating crackers because my stomach was burning! Now I'm up 5 lbs today! I'm sure it's a temporary 5 since 15 crackers can't cause that but it's so frustrating.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #142
Junior LCF Member

What a long day! My 18 y/o daughter goes to college in southern Mississippi, in Hattiesburg. Her school, USM, was hit by an EF3 tornado yesterday. There is a lot of damage. Before the storm, my daughter had decided to drive BY HERSELF to New Orleans (she did not check the weather before she left) to visit some friends there and got into a CAR ACCIDENT while there. She is fine, her car had just a scratch but all the airbags went off and we found out today just how expensive they are to replace. Her school was closed anyway today and tomorrow for Mardi Gras but they are keeping the school closed an extra day so they can clean up. My parents live about 4 hrs north of New Orleans so they drove down and my daughter followed them back to their home, just missing the tornado by about an hour. It's been a nerve wracking weekend. I had alcohol last night, not gonna lie. It's really tough as she's about 9/10 hrs away and not much I can do. But she is fine, her car is fine just has blown out airbags but drives fine. If she had stayed home instead of going to New Orleans she either would have been on campus when the tornado came through or would have been at work and the tornado was visible from her work. So glad she is safe but my nerves are fried!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
Ahhh... maybe me that recommended this. Great book. Highly recommended.

Im just lurking.. popping in to say hi to you gals.

Keep up the good work. I had to pretty much banish alcohol from my life. What started as just a drink here and there became a daily habit and almost completely destroyed my health.
Im finally recovering. Feels good.

Have a great Thursday
In fact, you did recommend it to me I went online and got if from Amazon for something ridiculous like .01 cent. It's a really good book to read for people struggling with addiction.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in. I have been awful the past few days. Both with eating and drinking. I don't know what happened but I need to start over. I even busted open a bag of gummy bears last night that have been in my cabinet since christmas I'm going to do induction over, the right way. No alcohol.
Msqueens I'm sorry your daughter was in an accident glad she is okay!

Wishing everyone a good week
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

I think me being absent from these boards is definitely a reflextion of what has been going on with me. I pretty much drank everyday last week and allowed myself some food cheats. I recommitted yesterday and am 1 day AF and and was on strick food plan. Being up 3.5 pounds this morning - was a real eye opener!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm not doing well either. My life is just in a downward spiral that I don't know how to get out of. Im starting to get really depressed. I just want to cry but all that does is make my face puffy.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

I hope everything starts turning around for you Michelle. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #148
Junior LCF Member

Hi Michelle - Been thinking about you a lot since you're last post. I hope things start getting better. Feel free to vent on here, y'know! I'm pretty sure we've all been through some hard, dark times so I think we could understand and hopefully give you a virtual hug!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Back from vacation and thinking of you all~

Hi friends, I have been MIA but thinking of you all and wondering how you are doing. I was avoiding this thread because since mid January I didn’t even TRY to avoid alcohol and I felt so guilty about it. I was in pre-vacation mode for a trip that I just returned from last night. All-inclusive in Cancun, MX… so you get the idea. They lost money on me, that’s for sure! I had one small drink on the plane ride home yesterday, and do not plan to have another one until I am out for dinner next. We decided not to go out for VD today since I am groggy from my trip.

I did have my annual physical a few weeks ago and my lab work came back fine. No problem whatsoever with liver enzymes, and the other indicators.. Happy about that!

DH has been AF for 3 weeks (bad lab results has scared him!) and I didn’t even join him in this quest before my trip. Now that I am home I am onboard, both for him and for me. I do intend to have wine when out with friends, but nothing at home.

I am depressed because my trip is over and it’s still the middle of winter here in the Midwest… and for other “life” issues, including the feeling of deprivation. I want to eat healthier again and know I’ll feel great in a few days because of it. The “no alcohol” thing is just eating at me though and I just can’t imagine daily life without it to look forward to in the evening.

TSKB, welcome and I SO know what you are saying about how the dynamics of your relationship being different when you aren’t drinking. DH and I have been together almost 30 years, and drinking is what we DO. All activities centered around it.. even just playing a game of gin rummy, or going bowling or to a festival or a casino. I mean, what do we DO now? He is 64 and I am 56 and how do we all of a sudden develop new interests together? We are so different. I have lots of other interests, but he doesn’t. I am hoping that once I feel better physically we can take walks and do other physical things together like we used to. But, still there will be a void.

Thanks for the book review.. will look into "Drinking, a Love Story”.
MSQueen, I also have acid reflux and drinking sets me off totally. While I was on my vacation I probably took double the amount of acid reducers that would be safe. I am weaning myself off of them now that I am home. When I eat LC and limit AL I don’t need any meds at all.

Michelle, sending you a hug and hope that things will sort out for you sooner rather than later! I need a good cry, too!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #150
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: baindegael
Stats: Highest 323-5'9" 230/182/150 BMI 27.08 Goal BMI 22
WOE: LC/LF, ditching processed crap
Start Date: 10/29/2003
Morning, all!

Can I join you? I had lost a bunch of weight (with LCF help) and then when I got pretty low, was drinking too much, seemed like I had switched one bad habit for another. Then, I would drink and binge eat.

As of today, I'm a bad weight... ick. But AF for over 60 days. And need to get my rear in gear on food.

Has anyone read the memoir Dry by Augusten Burroughs? I had read it a few years ago and it scared me but now I can't find my copy. I would like to read it again.

Lynn
baindegael is offline   Reply With Quote