Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #331
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Thank you Cheryl. One can never have too many prayers and well wishes. We're leaving our house about 3 am and will get there plenty early but are going to walk to the hotel to see if they have any rooms for my DD for wed night. This time tomorrow, I'll be laying thinking 'what was I thinking?'

I'll be back in a few days.
I hear that. Please check in with us as soon as you can so we know how you are.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #332
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I'm pretty sure I don't have cirrhosis, and since tomorrow hopefully will be my last day of drinking for a long time, I'm more worried about the irreversible damage I may have done to my brain. I know there's a point of no return, and I find myself not being able to articulate what I want to say quite a lot lately. I am a smart person, but when I'm trying to get a point across, verbally, I tend to stumble. Hopefully some of that may get a little better when I stop drinking.
When you've gone a week or so off all liquor, you really should get thorough blood testing done. Will you be able to do that? It's so important. It will tell you so much about what's going on as a result of what you've been doing. My liver enzymes are elevated right now but I haven't gotten my copy of the blood test report yet. Waiting and waiting for the mailman to come each day then wondering if they ever even got mailed.

I sometimes feel what you're saying. It's a form of expressive aphasia. I don't know if it has a lot to do with booze but I guess it could be sometimes. I like to think of my lack of being able to have a smooth, easy conversational style as this: I used to take writing classes and one of my instructors said that people who write well are usually not good speakers, and vice verse. I hope that's my problem and not dead brain cells.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
I'm scheduled for a 3 day inpatient detox later this week. My counselor advised against quitting alcohol on my own. She says it would be dangerous. Now the worst part will be admitting to my friends and my daughter that things had gotten that bad.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #334
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I am 5 days post surgery and on the mend. The first few days were the worst. In a way like stopping the sugars, etc, you go through a period of feeling lousy but know that it will get better.

Scintilday, it is no one's business where you are going or why. If and when you want them to know, you will know you are ready to talk about it. When my brother went through detox, the rest of us knew and made sure we didn't talk about it or brought alcohol to family gatherings. He is 25+ years past those years and has been willing to talk about it. I think he invited one family member to the initial meetings so that person could tell the rest of us. He and I talked about food addiction like it is the same disease, just a different substance, he has been a great help for me in my recovery.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #335
Big Yapper!

scintilady, Yes that will be the hardest part, but you are on the right road for right now. Do the next right thing and see where it takes you. Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going. We care.

Mary, that's a great point. No need to make any big announcements in the beginning. I find the less people that know, the better. Sometimes their well-meaning comments can really muck things up in your head. Better to keep it simple and just focus on the tasks as hand.

5 days post-op! Tell us how it's been going! How immobile are you? Is the discomfort manageable? Do you look like you have zippers all over your body? (Staple lines.) I remember when my sis had hers. She lost all her self-consciousness and stood buck naked in the doorway of her bathroom so she could let me and my Mom see how tiny she was. It was crazy! She was always the big girl in our family and got labeled "big boned" etc. She is absolutely tiny inside.

I can't wait to hear more. Still hoping you are protected from all complications along your healing process. How do things look so far? Still swollen I'm sure, but are you getting a sense of how things will be when healed?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #336
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheryl, i had just the neck, face and upper eye lids lifted. The bruising is better. I still have sututres, bandages and a chin strap. We see the doctor today, so will know more later.

Yesterday, I went to a play at my DD's college, chin strap and all. She was very proud of me. She tells me it will look great. Since she is the one who changes the bandages, she has seen more of it than me.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #337
Big Yapper!

I don't know where I got the idea that you were having more extensive surgery, but I'm glad you got "nipped and tucked" instead! I hope someday you feel comfortable showing before and afters. Where do they cut to do the neck lift? I'd love one of those!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Back from detox and feeling great and optimistic. Started my low carbing again 2 days ago. If you want to read about my experience, go to the "currently not drinking" thread. Too long to repeat it all here. It may help some of you.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #339
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheryl, the make an incision inthe hair line, in front of the ear and behind the ear and in the hairline in back. They had to remove quite a bit of skin.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #340
Big Yapper!

Mary, that's great that you won't see any marks when it's all healed up. I would LOVE to get a little work done someday.

Scintillady, I went and read your story on the other thread. I'm very optimistic for you and happy that you feel so strong. May you have smooth sailing from this day onward.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #341
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Hello all. Haven't been doing well in the lowcarb or drinking. I typically go a day no problem but make up for it the next. I'm sick of feeling like crap. My stomach is bloated and sore. I was so hungover today diet was the last thing I was worried about. I need a cleansing big time. I can't even lay on my stomach it feels so horrible.
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #342
Big Yapper!

Are you anywhere near Bristol or Waterbury? Just curious. I'm not "bang on" with my diet or with drinking, but then again, I haven't had a hangover in a few weeks. Maybe meeting up (even for a drink and a meal) would do you some good. PM me if interested.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #343
Big Yapper!

Holy cow! I'm a thread killer!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/165/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Well, it's been awhile since I've checked in. Just been antisocial (on the internet at least).

I just looked and it appears my last post was 4/18/13, so almost a month ago! Wow time flies.

Anyway, since that time, I have not had a full on drink. I did have a sip of a gin and tonic at a social gathering about two weeks ago, but it didn't really taste that good to me so I just put it down. Haven't even thought about rum. However, the increasingly warm and sunny weather makes me want some modified margaritas or beer. But I shall not give in!

Next week is my official weigh-in, but from the few times I've stepped on the scale, the weight loss process doesn't seem to be speeding up extensively. However, this must still be the healthier way to be, and if it all things are equal, it's still saving me money.

Hope all is well with everyone and that Mary's recovery is going well (I think that was the most major event to catch up on?).
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #345
Senior LCF Member

Made it through my birthday without drinking. My best/closest friend passed unexpectedly a few days after so I drank on that date and am not sure if I will abstain or continue abstaining in the foreseeable future. Each day is a different emotional roller coaster right now.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #346
Blabbermouth!!!

So sorry to hear about your friend's passing. Prayers for you, your friend and ther family.

I am doing fine and am back to work.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I am glad you're doing fine.

I actually decided not to drink as I know it's the complete opposite of what I should do. Obviously I deviated the day of the news, but adding a depressant on top of the situation would be horrible.

If I was able to halt drinking from boredom and from depression (from years past) knowing that the results are for the best, I can endure through this situation without a crutch that will ultimately beat me down.

Bleh. I have more productive distractions.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #348
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Back again

I was lost for a while but I am back.so my new plan is the 100, isn't he newest of Jorge cruises contradicting diet plans. Anyway I need to be back on track. Anyone else hear of it?
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote