Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #271
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I agree, Stevie. The "black/white perfection thing" gets me, too. What else gets me is what I call, "living in a world of no." I don't want to live in a world where I can't enjoy something. I don't see why I can't manage all cravings and substances like any ordinary adult can. And I can't accept that I can lose weight and control my eating but not my drinking. Therein lies my struggle and my inner argument. The beat goes on.

I love you ladies, too. (No, I'm not drinking yet.) This is a great thread and I'm glad we're all here together.

I'm going to check out those vlogs on youtube. Thanks for the heads-up!
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Good morning, Happy April Fools Day, and I hope everyone had a nice Easter. I enjoyed a great brunch with a friend and then just came home and chilled with DH for the afternoon. Today is his B-day and we'll be celebrating with all the wrong things.. Then, no excuses!

The black/white thing is one of my biggest problems, too. It all stems from the dieting mentality that started for me when I was probably 10 years old. Good or bad, on or off.. One of the best things I can do for myself is get off that perfection roller coaster, cuz it just ain't NEVER gonna happen!

Thanks for the tips, shares and love!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #273
Big Yapper!

, Judy's DH!! Enjoy the celebrations, then behave yourself.

Isn't it so strange that it is the idea of perfection that keeps us so far from it? Of course we can't live that ideal so we need to just find what we CAN live with. I am in that zone right now. I must make living with a little and not living without my goal. With practice I can perfect it. See? There I go again!

Have a lovely day, ladies (and gents, if we have any lurking out there.) I have the farm today and it's mild but rain showers pending and wind gusts in the 40's. Get me out of here! CT sucks and it's something I've always known. I swore when I made my escape at age 24 that I'd never come back here for anything more than a visit. Then people started dropping like flies in my family and I decided it was best to come be with them. People stopped dieing so I'm thankful for that, but now I'm "HERE".
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I am a gent

While I still have to work toward basically not striving for perfection, I've noticed life is generally much happier, less stressful, and more enjoyable realizing that I cannot be perfect nor control every single situation to make it perfect. (Which I couldn't even define perfect/perfection, but when you're in that sort of zone, you have a definition in mind)

Though that's still something I have to work on, and accepting it isn't the easiest when it goes against something hardwired in my personality lol.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #275
Big Yapper!

A dude! How nice. All my other threads are strictly ladies. I don't know why that is but it is nice to have a guy around. I'll try to remember, since you appear to enjoy going incognito.

I so hear what you're saying. I love the way you put it and it really spoke to me, especially after working today. I was so frustrated and I had a scowl on my face. So much so that the manager asked me what was wrong. I only told her of my health issues (high bp and hr when I'm working) but I'm also frustrated by the type of things I encounter at my job.

I don't know how much I've shared with y'all about what I do for extra money and I don't want to repeat myself, but I work part time caring for horses at a therapeutic riding center. I was volunteering for one year and on January 3rd, they offered me a small part time job (like 6-hours-a-week small.) I jumped at it because I love the animals and the work itself.

But what I suck at is human relations and miscommunications and too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen, etc. I fully understand the saying "Hell is other people." I hate that I feel this way and I would do anything to get my brain rewired so that I was a different type of person. I don't know what it will take to turn me into the right person to slide along with a smile on my face when I'm there, come what may. But that is what I need to learn, and FAST.

In fact, when I got back home, I got an email saying that once program begins at the end of this month, there will be two more afternoon shifts opening up. She asked me if I wanted them! YES! I need the money and all that jazz, but now it's even more imperative that I take a chill pill and learn (as you said, Hayek) that "I cannot be perfect nor control every single situation to make it perfect." And I want to add, "not even close!"

So I'm back on Atkins and I'm getting my vital sign situation straightened out. It's all good. I just pray that the bp/hr thing is fixed this week. I have to start going back to the gym to prepare for the workload at the farm. Maybe the gym can help get me stronger and increase my endurance.

Tonight I am sipping on my first Vodka on the rocks since I last drank some wine on March 9. It's warm going down and it assures me that I will rest-easy tonight. Like I said, it's all good.

Hugs to everyone out there tonight. I have much to be thankful for, and much to work on improving, but not "perfecting."

Last edited by CherylB; 04-01-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Welcome to the dude!! Hi Hayek! It is nice to hear from a guy's perspective and I see that perfectionism and black/white thinking can occur in any gender!

I had a fun time on DH's B-day on Monday.. Had way too much to drink though. Tuesday I recovered and abstained.

I had a drink last night (Wednesday). Just one. I nursed it for an hour. When I am in "I'm starting on Monday" mode I would have had 2 or more.

What I am working on this week is cutting down on the carbs I have been eating - and living for now, today.. Today matters.. Monday will come just as it does every 7 days (when I normally start LC and cutting down on booze AGAIN). But, every day counts in my life and in my healing. What I do to myself (as in ingest via food or alcohol.. or not move my body) Tuesday through Sunday is important. If I should have something to eat or drink that isn't *perfect*, that's okay.. I have the next minute, hour, hours...day(s), to eat/drink more healing foods. The healing foods will outweigh the toxic foods when I keep this mentality. I want to do this for me so that I can regain my health.

Basically, black/white thinking is leading me down a very dark path into an early grave. I will not let that happen! There's too much fun stuff to do out there!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #277
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Morning all
I too am glad we have a male input. It's all good

I am on day 11 and that may well be a record since 2010. Seriously.lol
Eating as well as I can - using a lot of whole30 principals and paleo. I think I told you all I gave up dairy over a month ago. The best thing I ever did. I feel so, so much better. I do think the hormones in the milk and my own just did not mix.

My DH has not been drinking either. However today he is ,he told me, while he BBQ up some food for us. I believe he only has a very small amount of rum from our last trip so I am not worried it could turn into a serious temptation.

If you have the time or interest, check out Robin's vlog with her patient (note she is talking to an HCG patient) but her points are for us with the black/white perfection and binging. That is why super strict dieting is off for me.

Well take care and Cheryl, happy you are getting some more hours. Horses scare me so hats off to you! I will pray that you can now get along with humans! hahah..it ain't easy sister!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPg...=results_video
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #278
Big Yapper!

Judy, you'll figure it out. Extremes are to be avoided like the plague. I visualize a pendulum swinging and I want to live in the middle ground. I'm safe there and that makes me happy.

Stevie, WTG! Kudos to you, honey. It's good to take a break every now and then. That's wonderful about the dairy. I don't think I would enjoy life all that much if it was very low carb and dairyless. I can't bear to think of it. I'd have to give up mayo too cause it has eggs in it. Mayo is my friend on Atkins. So is butter.

I am drinking my vodka straight from the freezer. I'm measuring each shot and pouring it into special, asthetically-pleasing small glasses and savoring each sip (raspberry flavored vodka.) I calculated and verified my numbers online regarding how many shots I could have each day to make the bottle last a full week and I'm going by that rule of thumb. I'm usually one or two shots under the maximum I'm allowed under that approach, but the bottle sure seems to be emptying a lot quicker than I think it should be. Time will tell if it worked out to last a week but I am spot-on! It is plenty and I don't like to feel wasted. Just pleasantly buzzed.

Got a few errands to run then off I go to walk a lame horse around for a little bit. Then I'll need to hurry home and eat because I'm fasting for blood work. I guess I should eat before going to the farm. That's what I'll do.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Stevie Renee, thanks for that link to the video. She is amazing! I will watch one of her videos a day. She is absolutely talking about ME and all my head trash! I even thought about Hcg for a minute... Then I decided not to jump to yet another strict diet before enjoying LC to get off my first 50 lbs. If I stall that sounds like a good idea.. Other than having to give up booze for sure that is!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Yes, yes, that lovely perfectionist thinking--along with so many other "issues"--impacts us across all genders. They're much more human problems than gender problems (in my opinion). However, I generally think different genders deal with them somewhat differently (with exceptions and variations as life is a spectrum more than it is a perfect cookie-cutter box). But no need to go too much into depth on that.

I almost drank yesterday because of the old emotional triggers I've previously mentioned from when I first started getting heavy into drinking years ago. The anxiety/depression/mood disturbance ones (the easiest triggers for me to overcome compared to the boredom trigger). And it didn't help a few other friends were having a similar day and wanted to go grab a few drinks (but it never stops there). I declined and just brooded for a few hours, convincing myself not to buy any alcohol, that I've been down that particular road before and I know that while the temporary escape may be a relief, it's not only the least healthiest option, but it's detrimental to me health-wise, relationship-wise, and self-esteem-wise. Plus, as I've mentioned before, the actual thought of alcohol and taste just irks me lately and last night was merely a craving of escaping the negative feelings. So I just dealt with the uncomfortable feelings and felt trapped for a few hours, then it subsided and I felt stronger for not having drank. Granted, that's an old trigger which I've learned to deal with and almost always defeat over the past few years. As far as boredom goes, it's much easier just to be bothered by the taste and thought of alcohol to deter me from that trigger winning (a newer, but ultimately easier battle).

So I'm on Day 4 (I count Sunday as Day 0 even though the last drink was Saturday night) and feeling quite all right. I've cleaned, reorganized, and read a few books to keep myself busy (while I often enjoy doing the first two things buzzed, I can't do the latter while drinking so it's a great way to keep the mind busy). I just have to keep my goals (weight loss, health, money saving, etc.) in mind when the boredom hits as the more depressive/stressed emotional triggers seem to be well under control.

Part of that is because I think drinking from boredom is less of a "problem" than drinking from those other emotional triggers so I was able to place those in check many years ago. I don't want to be too cocky and say that war is over, but I feel confident saying that enough battles have been fought that it's at a peaceful resolution. The boredom war will probably never end, but I'm winning more battles, and now that spring is sort of here (we still got some snow last week lol), it's much easier to keep busy or just go outside and enjoy the day.

I just reread this and it doesn't seem very coherent, but oh well. Sometimes rambling helps! Haha.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #281
Big Yapper!

Hayek, . Proud of you for overcoming the urge to go with your friends and numb-out. You sound like you're doing really good. I love your posts. Very interesting to read and thoughfully written. Seems pretty coherent to me!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #282
Big Yapper!

As for me, I am not abstaining and I'm really stoked that I'm sticking strictly to my plan. It's just enough! I hate when I've gone just a little over that line into a bit too much. I need to make sure that I've eaten a sufficient meal before I start sipping on my evening vodka. I haven't reached for it before 7:30 pm yet and often it's after 8. I'm keeping it in its place and that's my ultimate goal of all this. I want a "nightcap" and not much more. So far, thank you Lord, so good.

Tomorrow is my first full day off where I'll be home all day. I'll get some housework done (I have plenty to do) and do some cooking and then relax a while. Come evening time, I'll pour me three more jiggers of Vodka in my special glass and sip.

I hope everyone else has good news to report! Come check in with us. For better or worse. That's what this thread is for.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Checking in. Good to see this board is still so active. And welcome to the dude, lol. I a loser and can't seem to get my **** together. Have been stressed and yes maybe even just a habitual time filler but drinking everyday I can't even vision not right now. As far as the diet that went awry as well. So I am just sort of not doing my personal best.
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Hayek, good for you to stand your ground. Boredom is a trigger that I now believe I have but never really considered before. Things can’t be fun and exciting every minute, so I just need to learn to chill with a book or here or watching a Netflix movie. How did you just lose your taste for AL? I sure wish that would happen to me! I enjoyed reading your upbeat post!

Cheryl, good for you in keeping to your plan!! I had some wine yesterday… about 1.5 glasses. This was after a long boring day of working at home. Funny, I am a pre-dinner drinker. Once I have had something to eat I have no desire for AL. We eat late though.. around 7-7:30. Then I settle in with my Netflix and doze off by 9:30. Exciting!

Leaving30something… honey – every day is a new day. Make some better choices today… and then tomorrow a few more. Talk positively to yourself, forgive yourself and accept yourself. (These are things I am trying to do – very important!).
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #285
Big Yapper!

L30, I've been right where you're at. Don't slide any further down the tunnel. Stop right where you are and shake yourself up. If you have to physically slap your face, do it. "Wake up! What are you doing to yourself?!" (That's you, saying that to yourself. Not me saying that to you!)

Sometimes I think we get fed up with everything all at once and we determine to now make all the right choices in all our areas that need improving. Start dieting, start exercising, stop smoking, reign-in the drinking, clean the house, et al. Sometimes we should just focus all our attention on one thing at a time. And when we've gotten a handle on that one thing, take a step in the right direction with another thing.

You can get better. It's not going to happen on its own. You can make it happen. Make it happen, honey. You're worth it.

Judy, my idea of drinking only in the evening is because my day is done, I'm at home and I'm alone. I'm getting ready for bed and I sleep better with a little drinkipoo. Just settles me down a little and relaxes my muscles. Sleep is where I get restored so it's important to me that I get lots of rest. Sometimes I notice I wake before the alarm and I think that might be the "drinkipoo" so I'll cut back on it a little. I'm still right on my goal, but maybe less is more.

I hope we all have a lovely weekend and make great strides. I will be tied up with the farm from tomorrow through Monday evening but I'll be here everyday for a little while. Will try to keep up on the threads.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Eh, I lost my taste for it largely by only being able to reasonably afford one type of rum, which is the only inexpensive liquor I enjoy. And by regularly drinking it on the rocks (avoiding aspartame in diet colas), it started making me grossed out to the point I don't even like having it mixed (if at a bar with friends or something). I guess it just took time for my brain to create a negative association with it. (Even thinking about it right now makes me want to gag)

Wine still sounds good, but I'm a major sangria guy and that stuff is carb heavy, so it's just off limits for me. And there is a brand of it that I can reasonably afford like I can the rum.

I suppose if I had the budget, a glass of Johnny Walker Black or Tanqueray would still sound nice and tasty, or a long island (carbs!). However, with Tanqueray I'd end up consuming the whole fifth (I can moderate with scotch because of the burn, I can't gulp it down as quickly as I do other liquors). And a fifth of Tanqueray will run me almost a month's worth of the rum I've been purchasing!

For budget and carb reasons, I also stay away from champagne (which I do love and I never accidentally end up too drunk, if drunk at all, off of it).

I did go out last night and had a few rum and diets with friends, but after the second one I just had to stop because of the whole negative-association with the taste thing. I may just start volunteering to be the DD since I know many of my friends have a very relaxed attitude about any amount of alcohol and driving (whereas I absolutely do not risk it--it could cost me my professional license--even after my second drink last night, I still waited a good 3+ hours before driving home--not worth any risk). So I guess I haven't been an angel in remaining alcohol free yet, but I at least view the social drinking in that moderation as a "healthier" type of consumption than consumption triggered by boredom, or worse, depression/anxiety (which is usually when I end up way over consuming).

Sorry if this post made anyone thirsty!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #287
Big Yapper!

Cheap liquor IS nasty. I bought a cheaper brand of flavored Vodka this time and it's not too shabby. It was $18 vs $21-23. Every little bit helps. Hayek, our budgets sound similar. I have less than $2K per month at my disposal and my rent is $910. Makes things a little tight.

When you get a mixed drink when out, it's not the cheap, nasty stuff. You still can't enjoy it? That's too bad. What do you think of buying the good stuff but only enjoying it one week a month? Sounds like it wouldn't be difficult to resist the nasty stuff for the rest of the month. Just a thought!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

I can't do Vodka, but when I used to be able to, I enjoyed Three Olives as the best price point and quality (I never liked Belvedere or Grey Goose). Scotch, Gin, and Vodka seem a little more price-based in terms of quality than rum. Then again, I've never had anything "higher up" than Bacardi (can't stand Captain Morgan at all--or most dark liquors/rum for that matter).

I've actually been drinking Castille Silver Rum whenever I purchase alcohol. It's about $7.95 a fifth and I find it better than Bacardi Superior (my former go to Silver rum--Bacadri Oakheart is my favorite but it does have carbs). It's more so just having drank it on the rocks so much since low-carbing that's ruined rum altogether for me. Castille Silver is 5% higher alcohol content so it has a little more kick to it than Bacardi.

Usually I'm out drinking with friends, I'll just go with whatever the well brand is (usually something way worse than Castille Silver). But even that "cheap" drink is usually $4-5 plus tip and it never taste good (except for places where I know the bartenders which they'll hook me up with Tanqueray at that price so I enjoy that on the rocks when there). And by the time I buy two of those well drinks, I might as well have bought a fifth of Bacardi (or a half-gallon of Castille).

I have always thought in those terms so going out and really having a prolonged night at the bar with friends is few and far between. It's too easy to blow $50 and think wow, I could have had a fifth of one of my favorite absinthe's at that point instead of just a few hours at a bar. Heck, nowadays most of us are living on a tight budget or budgeting ourselves a bit more than we normally would, so we just have social get togethers and pitch in on a liquor or whatever and that's what we drink for the night.

I think I'm just all liquored out--even Tanqueray and Johnny Walker don't sound particularly good. Although if I get this job I interview for on Monday, I may treat myself to a victory fifth of Johnny Walker Black.

I'd rather treat myself to a mini-keg of Heineken beer (tastes way better than the bottles, much thicker and richer... and with summer approaching, it's going to be sad not to have it)... but those pesky carbs--and I'm trying to be committed to that! Pre-low-carb, my alcohol rotation was more of a bottle of wine this week, a twelve pack of beer the next week, then maybe a fifth of liquor the following week so it got less boring/repetitive/gross. But rum is the only low-priced liquor (at least Castille, there are truly disgusting ones you can buy) that usually taste decent or as rum should taste without a noticeable difference in quality. However, cheap gin or cheap scotch, blergh. Can't do it. Those particular flavors you really do seem to get what you pay for lol.

I do think it's funny that, I used to buy myself one pack of cigarettes during finals during grad school (help settled nerves and helped me concentrate on things). Often times I couldn't even bring myself to smoke the whole pack. A lot of people can't just pick up cigs and put them down and not think twice. (I've maybe smoked 6 packs through my whole life) But it really was just a "recreational smoking" habit. Though I have the negative associations with it, each time I'd smoke, I'd have to put on special clothes that I could easily take off once I was gone and then I'd shower (unless it was right before the exam near the campus) and immediately have to brush my teeth. So maybe that ritualistic behavior helped steer me away from becoming "addicted" to them, but you'd think if I could put down cigs and just not think about them or pick up a habit, that I could do it with alcohol too!

(I do consider my drinking more of a bad habit than anything else. Even when it's at a high level, I don't drink nightly/daily, just in excess on the one or two days that I do)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #289
Big Yapper!

There you go! Beer is what I love the taste of the best, but not when on Atkins. I don't like the LC brews and I can't get over that it is made with yeast and grains. So while I'm in the hard and fast losing zone of weight loss, it will be flavored Vodka. Not slowing me down one bit, so far.

I hope you get the job! Is it a good one or just the best you can find right now?

That's so funny about your smoking clothes. My late husband didn't smoke cigs unless we were out at the bar. Then he was going through them as fast as I was. (God rest his soul.) I have known others who could just smoke casually and I think that's the coolest thing. I don't dare ever try that because I've been hooked a couple of times in my life and the older I get, the harder it is to really get off those things. The final time I quit I was about 40 years old and it took patches in the beginning, then I went down to the nicotine gum, and when I got to the point where I was doing pretty well, I still kept a few pieces of it in the pocket of my uniform for "emergencies." But I often wondered what I could use to get off the gum!

The cost of cigarettes is absurd! Like $8 for one pack. Thank God I got off that train in time.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-05-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl, love your new horse profile pic!! I love, love, love horseys! I am so jealous of how you spend your time at the farm! There are plenty of farms around me, too.. so maybe one day I can get my energy and motivation up and ask my acquaintances who have horses to let me at least come over and pet them.. Eventually ride them.. if I lose weight and can figure out a way to get on them.

I never have been very much of a connoisseur with any liquor since I never drink them straight. I think I can tell the difference between the cheapest and the most expensive vodka, but that’s about it. I’d try to drink flavored Vodka straight and sip it, but with DH trying to abstain (sometimes) I don’t want to tempt him with having it in the house. When I don’t buy any at the cheaper store (Walmart) to keep it away from him/us, I find that later that day he has gone out and bought a bottle at an exorbitant price because he had a craving! UGH!

Right now I am mixing some OJ with some Smirnoff we have in the house and I love it.. but, it’s too high in carbs. I am really happy to do low carb beer such as Michelob Ultra, or dry white wine or dry red wine with a drop or two of stevia. I am not a “dry” kinda gal. I LOVE Captain Morgan with Diet Cola, but have never tried it with anything else. Champagne, especially Mimosa’s also are something I fancy! The only kind of rum I can have straight is Malibu Coconut.. over ice.. But it has liqueur in it so I am sure it is very high in carbs.

Although I am saying that every minute/hour/day matters in a prior post… the reality is it is Friday night and I am once again looking towards Monday. Saturday night I am going out with friends where drinks will be involved.. and Sunday I am sure there will be remnants of a bottle around the house. And although we don’t’ want to guzzle it to get rid of it for Monday, there’s always some left and we can’t say goodbye, so we get *just one more* fifth.. and the saga continues.

I never smoked (cigarettes)… the only sinful thing that has not been a part of my life.. In addition to drinking and eating I also enjoy gambling.

Off to go to sleep early.. need to be up at 4:30 for a craft market I am doing.. Then home for a nap before going out Sat. night. I am sure I’ll be around a lot on Sunday as I plan my Monday…..again…
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #291
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Judy. Those are two of the horses at the therapy place where I work. Charmed and Cowboy. I took the picture! Very proud of that. I hope you have a good time when out with friends but maybe reconsider what a good time really is. I don't know about others but I just hate it when I've crossed that line from being pleasantly tipsy and stumbled over into the sick and hung-over zone. Even worse, the "I can't remember much of last night" thing. How can that be considered fun? That stuff's for kids. Just my 2 cents, anyway. Enjoy!

If you really desire to be around horses once in a while, offer to volunteer! I'm sure they'd be happy to give you something to do and then you can pet them all you want. That's how I got started. I volunteered twice a week for a year, in all kinds of weather. Then they hired me.

Good luck tomorrow at the craft market. I need to get up and out in the morning, too. We have a class and I need to be there and assist. That will be about 3 hours. No rain, just cold and windy. :/

Have a nice Friday eve, all.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member

It is a great pic Cheryl!

Thanks for all the kind uplifting words from you all. I know I really need a fresh start. Sometimes it's hard to find that, whatever it is, to stick to it. My fridge is empty and heading to the grocery store this morning. I will make some good choices.

So about the time of drinking, I have 2 ways I drink, lol. I love having wine early before dinner while cooking, and same as Judy I lose the taste for it once I'm done eating. But then sometimes... there is the devil inside telling me there is more fun to be had that sometimes then switches over to something stronger, like a rum and diet coke, or vodka and something.

But what is this fun? I too do not know how to get satisfaction out of curling up with a book, or doing a craft project or something. It's work, eat, drink, sleep clean,shop that's it. So my fun is eating and drinking. I honestly have no idea how to change that. I'm not meaning to be all doom and gloom just honest.
Once I have a few drinks though I feel like this guylol
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

The job is a mix of a good one and just the best I can find right now. It's not what I went to school for (I receive the dreaded "over-qualified" rejection frequently--a real punch below the belt lol), but it's better than living off savings. After such a long stretch of unemployment despite regularly sending out resumes, and applications, it's just an honor to have an interview haha. But getting the job would be even better!

Cigs aren't worth the price or anything really. I know a few others who can smoke casually similar to me, but it seems to be more of an exception than the rule. When my smoker friends ask how I can "simply stop," I just say it's the way I'm wired (I suppose) and they comment how they wish they could do it that way (most have failed to quit smoking several times). Though now I may tell them I understand that slight envy as it's the same way I envy their ability to eat as many carbs, unhealthy food, and never exercise yet still remain pretty slender.

As far as the way of changing what you find fun, I'm not sure I have any great advice. I mostly know how to change one form of "fun" for another--so if you don't enjoy reading, or crafts, or other hobbies other than eating or drinking, it might be a little harder for a replacement!

As an example, when I started drinking years ago out of depression (the trigger I've mostly "fixed"), I'd make a deal with myself that if I went to the gym and did at least an hour of cardio that I could then reward myself by drinking. (I didn't view it as you can only do this instead, but part of that is mental trickery on my part) So I'd go to the gym as part of the deal with myself, and then by the time I was done, I felt better and lost the more severe urge to drink. Thus, I'd skip on buying the alcohol that night and rinse and repeat the process the next day or whenever the urge hit. It's not an easy one-week process, but I went from significantly reducing my drinking for those reasons to not drinking for those reasons at all. (Went from about 2-3 fifths a week for a month and a half to 1 fifth a week for several weeks to no booze for those reasons)

Though with boredom, especially without a replacement for whatever the particular trigger is, it gets a little more difficult (as I'm currently learning this one's a bit harder to fix lol). Especially when there are many activities I find fun that I can tell myself well a few more drinks will make it even more fun! Luckily, one activity I can't while drinking that I enjoy is reading, thus this is becoming my backup. I also can't watch movies (alcohol kills my ability to focus or pay attention) or exercise while drinking. Though one activity that bores the crap out of me that I love to do while drinking is cleaning! So that's a boring activity that's just straight up trigger-ville. So I'm doing something similar with the exercise on that one: the deal with myself is if after I do X amount of cleaning, I can reward myself with a drink. Once the cleaning is done, I simply don't feel the need or desire for that drink anymore as the boring activity passed.

Either way, finding new, enjoyable hobbies isn't the easiest thing in the world. Now I just need to find friends that prefer to go out and play sports or do things that require sobriety instead of friends that prefer to spend social lives around food and drink! Luckily, because I'm the better cook out of all my of friends and have every economical thoughts, I can often convince them to just pitch in on low-carb groceries and alcohol and volunteer to cook great meals for them in lieu of going to a restaurant to graze all evening (on way unhealthy stuff) while socializing. Just remind them it ultimately saves them money and is a healthier option... and we can completely control the environment to make just as much of a "fun" vibe!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #294
Big Yapper!

I wish I cleaned when I drank! I'd have the cleanest house on the block!

L30, I liked the guitar guy showing how you feel when you have a few drinks. ME TOO. I'm just happy to be alive.

The last two mornings, I've woken up really early. I don't like that at all. I try to go back to sleep and it just doesn't work. I toss and turn and it's just a mess. So, I'm going to not drink tonight and see if I sleep better. I really don't need to drink every single day. It can't mess with one of my favorite things and still be a part of my day. I love sleep even more than booze.

Hayek, keep us posted on that job!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl, I never get more than tipsy when out with my girlfriends.. for several reasons.. I have a high tolerance and I am too embarrassed to drink that much in front of them.. I don't want them to worry about me. I only drink too much at home or with DH when we are out having fun. My friends and I even were at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico a couple of months ago and I not once got drunk during the entire week! I drank a lot and pooped out (went back to the room because I was tired) but was never drunk.

Hayek - I still manage to read or watch movies when I have had too much to drink.. It just doesn't sink in very well though. Any creative work I do is on my computer and I can do that when drinking. I must make sure to look it over the next morning! I used to do various crafts.. Never have the patience for it anymore. I spend my "messing around" time here on Facebook and LCF.

My fun times have always revolved around drinking.. that's why it is such a hard habit to break. I was Disco Queen back in the 70's and they frequently had Ladies Night where ladies drank free prior to 10PM. Not good for someone like me.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

I made it through finally 1 day without drinking and Sunday is usually my favorite drinking day. Love sipping wine while cooking... I had to not drink yesterday. So not a huge achievement was more of a necessity. I have been way over indulging lately. Complete with fuzzy memories of going to bed and heavy recovery meals the next day. I started this am with lemon water for cleansing and have my salad prepared for work. I know I can get through a few days.
Hayek, I'm going to try the exercise reward theory and hop e it pushes away my urge to drink. I have found I'm the last it does somewhat. As long as I can quiet the monster inside for enough hours that it makes more sense to go to bed at that point. I have so much I could be doing so I don't know why I claim boredom it's more of a " I work so hard to keep all this together, where is my time, my treat?" And then I look back and go hmmm most nights are a big tipsy blur and I am tired and nauseous most days. That's what I call fun???
Happy Monday to all hope everyone has a lovely low carb day.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
This has been the most helpful thread I have read since joining this forum. I identify with just about everyone on here. I am at the highest weight I have ever been, (194) and have gained 65 pounds over the last 2 years, mainly due to depression, breakups, depression, and most of all, drinking to slef medicate the depression. I am calling my health insurance carrier today to see if I can get into a program, it is that bad for me right now. i've tried and I know I can't do it on my own. once I start to drink I keep going. My life revolves around when I can have my next drink, such as having to do all my errands early in the day so I can go home and drink wine and don't have to risk going out again. Alcohol has cost me my waistline as well as financial ruin. In August last year I went out to get a pizza because I thought I was all right to drive and the pizza place was only 2 blocks away. Needless to say, it has been 8 months of hell. I have spent $6000.00 on lawyers to no avail, 300 on a court mandated alcohol program, $500.00 on court ordered alcohol counseling, had my license suspended for 90 days, gone to court 3 times, have a $1000.00 fine still left to pay, and community service. Those drinks were expensive. I have learned not to ever get behind the wheel again while drinking, but drink more than ever. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and tell myself I can't start low carb again til I stop drinking. I also worry about stopping cold turkey because I have heard the horror stories about withdrawal. I envy those on here who can look forward to drinking once in awhile on a social basis, because I love my wine, but I think I finally realize I can't handle moderation. Thanks for this great thread.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Oh Scintillady, I feel so badly about the issues you are having with your life and with alcohol. You are so very welcome here, and I am glad you found the thread useful to you. Here’s a big ((hug)). Please know that there are alcohol only forums on the internet (I personally lurk on My Way Out) that can be great support, too. They also discuss herbal and pharmaceutical drugs that can be helpful with withdrawal and cravings. I do know that it can be dangerous (seizures) to stop cold turkey. Some people taper off if they don’t want to take meds.. I have no physical problem abstaining, just my emotional desire that usually wins.

So, I was fairly moderate Saturday night (at least for me) when out at a party and then dinner afterwards. Barely tipsy.. Sunday I drank a little heavier because, after all Monday was tomorrow (which is today! ) and I will be cutting down AGAIN. And, so here I am hopeful because it is yet another Monday.

My intention is to stay under 25 net carbs a day. If I start having Atkins Flu symptoms I may have a bit more and taper down as the days go on. I will have 1 low carb drink during cocktail hour if I really want it. Who am I kidding, of course I will want it!! I find that if I say I WON’T, then I crave it even more. I will count it towards my total net carbs.

Another thing that I am trying today… I talk so negatively to myself. No one EVER hated themselves thin. We must love ourselves enough to take care of ourselves. Whether it be cut down on the booze, eat better, sleep more, move our bodies, etc. I am really trying to bring my subconscious thoughts to my conscious mind. When I catch myself spewing words of hate about myself and my body I am going to snap a rubber band that I put around my wrist. Although it isn’t the best fashion statement, we’ll see how that goes.

Leaving30, lemon water is such a good thing to do. I’ve had several lemons in the fridge for a few weeks with that thought in mind. I hope they haven’t gone bad by now. I’ll go slice one up!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #299
Big Yapper!

scintillady, I am sick at heart. I was just coming to the end of a very long PM for you and somehow I hit a wrong button and I was sent back to my User Control Panel. I was horrified. I threw my hands up in the air and just prayed I could get it back, because the PM's here don't have that nifty "draft" feature that emails do. I couldn't get it back. I think you would have loved it. I felt it was truly inspired. Now what do I do?

#^%$@!!!!! Well, if you want to hear what I have to say, PM me and maybe I can summon up the strength to say something close to what I was saying again. It might not be today cause I'm running out of time. Need to work this afternoon but I will write again if I hear from you.

That just sucks. I am just P the hell O'd. Anyway, I'm so sorry for all that you're going through sweetie. What a nightmare.

Judy and all the rest of the gang! I'm happy to report that I have succeeded on my mission to make the bottle of vodka last a full week, and even surpassed my goal. I bought it on Monday of last week and it is Monday again. I will probably finish it tonight but if I stick to my 3 or 4 jigger per night rule, there may even be a little left over for tomorrow.

I have found (to my dismay) that my slimming feeling has come to a halt so I'm going to see how long I can go before buying the next bottle. Then I will follow the same rules as this past week. I have never in my life been able to limit my alcohol the way I did this past week and I'm very encouraged. I don't see why I can't keep doing it as long as I focus and never get cocky.

Have a great day, everyone. It's lovely here today. FINALLY!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #300
Big Yapper!

Yep! Got 8 full days out of a 1.75 liter bottle of flavored vodka. Tickled pink!

Challenge for this week is to drink no booze until next Monday. Then I'll buy another bottle and repeat the process. I do feel I'm stalling in the weight loss department.

I hope everyone is well tonight.

PS: If you are interested in reading about my day, go to my journal. Last page, huge post.