Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
bingers

Let's talk. I don't necessarily mean we have to try to find the meaning of life in our chats, but just share our struggles and thoughts.....
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pigeon
I was actually hunting around for low carb frozen dinner suggestions when I just happened to see this thread. I'd done so very well with a lower carbohydrate diet, however starting a new job, in a new state seemed to trigger the need for comfort I'd previously only found in sugary, carb laden foods. It's the hug I need, the sleep aid, the last call of the day. Its such a terrible burden, and as someone who's been on both ends of the spectrum, to go from very fit and (what I perceived to be as) "in control", to creeping back towards double digit sizes, feeling exhausted, unsatisfied and unhealthy....well, its frightening.

And there you have it:-)
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Let's talk. I don't necessarily mean we have to try to find the meaning of life in our chats, but just share our struggles and thoughts.....
12/21/12 - Since we are all still here....let this day be the BEGINNING of a life of positive advancements for you.....

I was just reading some info from Dr. Daniel G. Amen on the web about feeding our brains properly for overall health issues. You should look him up - extremely interesting.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
JOKEING!!!! Why should we even think about dieting today isn't the world suposed to end in just a few hours?

About 8 months ago I started back eating, regained the 45lbs I lost but at least I stoped
gaining and got to the heart of a psychological issue that set me off. Oh! not only do I
feel depressed about the weight gain and my "man boobs" geting bigger for some reason
I stutter a lot more when I am heavy. Talk about a double wammy ect.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
I followed a link to the Leptin Rx website and read what Dr Kruse said about eating a big breakfast with a boat load of protein. It reminded me of the info I read in the Sugar Addicts Recovery book. The author has similar suggestions about a high protein breakfast although she doesn't talk about leptin.
It's been enlightening to think that my binge eating could be due to bio chemical issues: leptin, beta endorphins, serotonin, insulin resistance. I have always thought that my over eating was due to emotions. Maybe it's a combination.
I just know that it is really hard being a binge eater because I am too ashamed to talk about it with family and friends. My husband doesn't get it. He just says "why don't you just stop eating?" If only it were that simple. He means well though

Yesterday I did give the breakfast a try. I ate as soon as I got up and I ate as much protein food as I could handle. I was stuffed! 3 eggs, 1 thin-cut bone-in pork chop, some potatoes fried in butter, a cup of coffee with cream. I will say that I didn't have a single craving between bfast and lunch. This morning didn't go so well. I had 2 eggs, a 5oz sausage link, potatoes in butter. The cravings hit about 9 30. Not sure what went wrong today.

Last edited by Filly; 12-21-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
I was actually hunting around for low carb frozen dinner suggestions when I just happened to see this thread. I'd done so very well with a lower carbohydrate diet, however starting a new job, in a new state seemed to trigger the need for comfort I'd previously only found in sugary, carb laden foods. It's the hug I need, the sleep aid, the last call of the day. Its such a terrible burden, and as someone who's been on both ends of the spectrum, to go from very fit and (what I perceived to be as) "in control", to creeping back towards double digit sizes, feeling exhausted, unsatisfied and unhealthy....well, its frightening.

And there you have it:-)
It is frightening and I am well on my way to regaining all my lost weight as well. I bought some of the atkins frozen meals and am waiting for the Atkins workbook to come in the mail next week. I am hoping to get back on track and motivated using the workbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
12/21/12 - Since we are all still here....let this day be the BEGINNING of a life of positive advancements for you.....

I was just reading some info from Dr. Daniel G. Amen on the web about feeding our brains properly for overall health issues. You should look him up - extremely interesting.
I'll look him up Susan. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
JOKEING!!!! Why should we even think about dieting today isn't the world suposed to end in just a few hours?

About 8 months ago I started back eating, regained the 45lbs I lost but at least I stoped
gaining and got to the heart of a psychological issue that set me off. Oh! not only do I
feel depressed about the weight gain and my "man boobs" geting bigger for some reason
I stutter a lot more when I am heavy. Talk about a double wammy ect.
Maybe we can stop the cycle EW, if we come here and talk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly View Post
I followed a link to the Leptin Rx website and read what Dr Kruse said about eating a big breakfast with a boat load of protein. It reminded me of the info I read in the Sugar Addicts Recovery book. The author has similar suggestions about a high protein breakfast although she doesn't talk about leptin.
It's been enlightening to think that my binge eating could be due to bio chemical issues: leptin, beta endorphins, serotonin, insulin resistance. I have always thought that my over eating was due to emotions. Maybe it's a combination.
I just know that it is really hard being a binge eater because I am too ashamed to talk about it with family and friends. My husband doesn't get it. He just says "why don't you just stop eating?" If only it were that simple. He means well though

Yesterday I did give the breakfast a try. I ate as soon as I got up and I ate as much protein food as I could handle. I was stuffed! 3 eggs, 1 thin-cut bone-in pork chop, some potatoes fried in butter, a cup of coffee with cream. I will say that I didn't have a single craving between bfast and lunch. This morning didn't go so well. I had 2 eggs, a 5oz sausage link, potatoes in butter. The cravings hit about 9 30. Not sure what went wrong today.
It is hard for others to understand, heck I can't even understand why I allow myself to binge and damage my health. I will go to the gym do a nice brisk walk and often come home and undo my hard work by eating crap. I have had some success with the big protein breakfast, but not lasting.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Thinking about some of my vices of the past:

Cigarettes- cut back and then quit quite easily

Booze- Quit cold turkey with little struggle

The cigarettes came at a time when I first began working out, so I think that helped me to quit.

The booze, I got tired of feeling hungover and wasting so many weekends recovering from binge drinking.

Now my question to myself?? Carbs have a very dramatic effect (usually within hours) on my health and vitality, so why do I just not quit them too?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

You are on your way to quitting carbs or at least reducing them aren't you?
We all aren't going to be perfect all of the time, but we can make the effort to be almost perfect most of the time. What carbage attracts you the most?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Susan
I try but fail miserably at permanently nixing the carbs, despite the knowledge that they are damaging to my health. Coming from a family of type 2 diabetics makes it all the more necessary that I stay low carb. I could care less about bread, pasta, rice and other starches, but ice cream, chocolate peanuts and other other salty crunchy things are what I crave and eventually will go out and buy because I do not keep them in the house. I try distraction techniques, but when my mind goes there it is like I can't relax until I give in and eat the foods. I know it is not logical thinking!!

Another thing that should stop me is when I eat some of these binge foods I get wheezy. I am not sure which food it is but I will get cold symptoms along with wheezing. What more motivation do I need?

Last edited by jeaniem; 12-22-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

You may have an allergy to something if you start to wheeze like that. There are alot of reduced carb / calorie snacks that I have eaten all year. Blue Bunny makes a great tiny little ice cream cone - small but helps when you want ice cream. La Tortilla Soft and Delicious Wraps are great! Look for them in the deli section (I find them at Giant). There are large and mini ones. Some of the large ones have up to 120 calories - so read the nutritional label. I get the 90 calorie ones with 13 grams of fiber. The mini ones are 50 calories with 4 grams of fiber. I roll some sandwich meat and mustard inside them or spread a little Traditional Ragu Pizza Quick Sauce/turkey pepperoni/parmesan cheese - roll it up - nuke it for a 45 seconds and you have lunch or a snack! Smart Food White Cheddar Popcorn in small individual bags is a good snack too. Turkey Pepperoni nuked makes a great little salty snack.

I do not include a carby side dish with our evening meal - we just have meat and vegetable or salads.

I love a chocolatey/salty snack but, if I let myself have one chip, one cookie, one piece of candy ... it's all down hill from there. And I was doing just that from September until just two days ago! My went would go up to 155 and stayed there.
Now that I have my mind set to eat smart....it's helping me drop a few pounds. I just hope I can keep this mind set!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I am a binger too, it is so hard. I have been so good until all this Christmas treats have come around. One little nibble and it is down hill, I am one that can not take a small bite and be happy-I should have NO bite and I am fine!!! One bite equals total carnage-as for as carbs go!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Had a snack attack last night..........fell asleep on the couch, woke up and the monster took over....I mindlessly went into the kitchen, ate a handful of mixed nuts, 3 small butter cookies and 1 piece of chocolate covered toffee. Then I thought - I'm gonna pay for this in the morning! If I had not snacked, I probably would have been 148.something after a day of low calories/carbs, etc. But, whats done is done and I will continue to try to be good today and no snacking tonight - I HOPE !!! OH Goodness, my stomach just growled at me - Bacon and Eggs here I come !!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Has anyone ever tried using a friend/relative as sort of a sponsor like OA does when they feel bingy? I was thinking of asking my sister if I could call or text her when I feel like I am losing control?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

No, I've never done that. But it's a great idea! The only problem would for me would be that it happens between 10 - 11 pm. I don't call people at that hour . I have the monster under control right now - plain ole determination set in and I don't want to mess up !

Stay Strong and Low Carb On !!!

Last edited by Garden; 12-25-2012 at 04:44 AM..
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I'm joining you lovely ladies today because I, too have a terrible binging problem that become more pronounced when I was 6 months into doing JUDDD. I lost a nice bit of weight doing JUDDD, loved the way I felt but started to binge on my Up Days because I was so afraid I would be hungry on my Down Days because I didn't eat enough. It was fine when I counted calories, but a bunch of crazy life changes have happened since last April and counting calories was just way too hard with the busy and stressful times I was having.

I eat at night, after 9 or so, and just can't seem to stop! I really am disgusted with myself at this point but can't seem to find a solution other than counting calories again. I have gained 20 pounds since January and it just keep coming on because I just don't WANT to stop eating at night. I have tried eating only fruit and veggies but I eat SO much fruit and veggies I was having stomach issues!

I also tried to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks but that failed totally and I would eat so much more than I usually did. I am not a breakfast eater so it was like adding another meal plus some into my day thus resulting in more and more calories that I do not exercise off at all!

I find that once I start eating it just doesn't stop, goes on and on! I almost don't want to start to eat at all, but THAT is NOT the answer, this I know for sure!!

I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel and can't get off! I need to find a "happy middle", something that works without so much effort or time as counting calories seems to do to me. I had become obsessed, and spent all my time figuring out, counting and logging the calories! I just can't do this anymore!!

Something has got to be out here that will work for me. I'm thinking LC Monday through Friday, Saturday a regular carb day and then just mixing it up on Sunday some.

Glad I found this thread!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 12-27-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Beeb - so nice to see you, I always found your post on JUDD forum so inspirational and I am so sorry to see you struggle.

I think I will join you ladies too as after all I am a part-time binger. Part-time because I only binge during PMS. Other times of the month, as long as I stay low carb, I have no issues.

Beeb- I re-started JUDD 3 weeks ago. This is my 3rd attempt. I failed first 2 times, I guess because during PMS when I reached for carbs I could not control myself and either UD or DD became UUAD for few days. I gained all the weight I lost on Atkins as my calories got to 4000 on some days.
This time I am doing fine (so far), but have not yet reached the point in the month when I eat like crazy, so let's see how it goes. What I did differently this time is to go very low carb and the carbs only come from veggies. I also gave myself permission to have higher DD (up to 900 cal), if needed, and do DD 3 times a week . So far I have not gone higher than 700 cal on DD and I have been doing 4 DD a week. I think by giving myself permission to do higher DD calories I feel better psychologically and I don't overeat. I think the key for me, at least, is to stay low carb. Let's see how the month progresses.
So maybe, you can try to do DD only 2-3 times week at the beginning or do higher calories.

Good luck to all the bingers!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Glad I found this thread!
I am glad you found the thread too Beeb! Let's all figure out what works for us and make 2013 the last d**m year that we are trying to lose weight!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I am glad you found the thread too Beeb! Let's all figure out what works for us and make 2013 the last d**m year that we are trying to lose weight!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Beeb! I'm right there with you with the night time eating! I've been doing better lately since I log everything that goes in my mouth. But, I still want to eat something sweet and carby or salty and carby just before I hit the sack! It's like a sedative or something or just a very bad habit I can't seem to shake .
Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I'm in. I have eaten myself back up to my highest weight ever! I am powerless over food or should I say "was". I know LC eating keeps the monster at bay. I need to get thru induction cleanly. I am taking some supplements suggested in THE DIET CURE. We'll see how that goes

I have made a promise to post daily. This will be one of my stops along the way
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Yesterday was the first good DD I have had in quite a while. I really think taking the L-glutamine helped a whole lot. If you are struggling you may want to give it a try it really
seems to help a lot of us and it's not very expensive. Yes yesterday was a good DD I
had a 5 lb water weight loss from yesterday !
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
E.W.- nice weight loss after DD! How much l-glutamine do you take?
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to see everyone here. Keep posting! I was very on edge last night and was soooooooo close to a binge, but I didn't!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Beeb

Do you still have your vision board? I plan on making one of these and am also thinking of making some kind of jar where I will have cards/reminders written out on paper that I can pull out and read when I feel bingey, or when I feel like I am losing focus.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I blew it! It started with a Godiva dark chocolate covered almond.
And didn't stop there!

After a day of 800 calories I blew it last night and gained a pound. One almond led to another almond, to another almond. Then turkey pepperoni dipped in pizza quick sauce, then honey roasted peanuts, then sour cream coconut cake that my daughter made and Hot and Spicy Doritos followed by a glass of regular milk cause I'm out of almond milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The remaining almonds are now in the trash can.

I am so ashamed and mad at myself because I've been doing so well. I do not want to go to the parties that I have to go to. I'm in a very bad mood and so angry with myself !!!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi Susan. I feel your pain. Are you taking any supplements? Some people swear by them. I picked up the diet cure and read thru it you may find it helpful. I started taking a few supplements. I'm hoping they will help keep the monster in his cage

I avoided a party with old friends last night due to my embarrassment over my weight instead I went to a gathering with my husband where I was the youngest woman there by at least 15 years!! I may have been the chub bisect but I had them beat in the age cayagory

Oh we'll. we do what we can
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
I blew it! It started with a Godiva dark chocolate covered almond.
And didn't stop there!

After a day of 800 calories I blew it last night and gained a pound. One almond led to another almond, to another almond. Then turkey pepperoni dipped in pizza quick sauce, then honey roasted peanuts, then sour cream coconut cake that my daughter made and Hot and Spicy Doritos followed by a glass of regular milk cause I'm out of almond milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The remaining almonds are now in the trash can.

I am so ashamed and mad at myself because I've been doing so well. I do not want to go to the parties that I have to go to. I'm in a very bad mood and so angry with myself !!!

Don't be ashamed and mad Susan Low calorie always sets me up for a binge eventually. Can you lose eating more food?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
Hi Guys!

Whew I have been out of control for so long now that I've gained back almost all the weight I kept off for a few years.

What is it that sets me off? I just get a crazy thought or feeling & I have to go after that food.... And then everything is binge worthy. Anything I can find or think of gets consumed.
I think that today is the last time I'm going to eat this stuff, so I'll just keep going... & going...

The new today starts off OK (usually) But then by night-time, the old binge monster has taken over.

I hope I can talk to you guys..........Please! I really need some help.
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Invictus
Stats: 281/267/199 5'11"
Start Date: 12/28/2012
Kaarren, don't feel bad. I'm the same way. I start of great but somewhere along the day I'm either craving something really really badly or I'm stressed/upset and feel that I need to stuff my face with candy. So about 99 times I tell myself no and then its on!!! Then I totally overeat - since I already messed up that day. Might as well slack of today and start fresh tomorrow - WRONG!!!! What helps me is eating some mixed nuts. I know they have plenty of carbs but eating a handfull of mixed nuts is better than having 15 candybars which I can eat up in about 4 minutes flat lol

For me the main thing is to forgive myself, get up the next morning and try try try again. I feel that I owe that to myself.

Hang in there!!!

Last edited by Invictus; 12-29-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
Start Date: 8-22-08
Hi Invictus

Thanks for the reply. I have not thought of forgiving myself .... Feels weird to even think about it...
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote