Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sinny
WOE: atkins
Start Date: L.C 11/14/2004 WW 2/13/2013
I too am a night binger. Seems as soon as DH goes to bed. between 11 and 12 I start running to the kitchen every few minutes ,which is easy because we have an open floor plan and the cupboards and fridge are in full view.
sinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Day 14 and getting really annoyed with these cravings I am full from my low carb meals, but not satisfied. Does that make sense? I was actually trying to convince myself that if I fasted all day once in a while then I could have ice cream and chocolate pretzels for dinner. No, I am not kidding!!!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanie- how many carbs do you eat a day? I ask because I have noticed since I have upped my carbs I think I able to stay away from binging. Today I had some beets soup, spaghetti squash and cauliflower with my meals and my carbs count came to about 30 gr (gross). Few days ago I had about 60 gr (gross)carbs from veggies. Surprisingly, I am actually losing weight which has never happened during PMS. I am more hungry and eating more calories but not wanting to binge, so far (keeping my fingers crossed it continues this way). I was scared to up the carbs but it seems to be working. Maybe JUDD has something to do it, I don't know.
I thought I post this for you (and anyone else struggling), incase you are keeping your carbs very low and want to try something different.

FYI- I have stopped eating fruits and nuts, so the carbs come from veggies (spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, beets, carrots, onions, lettuce, cucumber) up to 60 gr of gross carbs a day. Some days I try to go very low and next day I go up freely.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 01-08-2013 at 03:26 PM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinny View Post
I too am a night binger. Seems as soon as DH goes to bed. between 11 and 12 I start running to the kitchen every few minutes ,which is easy because we have an open floor plan and the cupboards and fridge are in full view.
Hi sinny. When was your last trip to the kitchen after mn? Why not go to bed when DH goes or take a nice hot bath and read a book. Anything to keep you occupied!! I know all about waiting for others to disappear and then having at it it is so difficult to ignore the pull of that stuff in the cabinets
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Day 14 and getting really annoyed with these cravings I am full from my low carb meals, but not satisfied. Does that make sense? I was actually trying to convince myself that if I fasted all day once in a while then I could have ice cream and chocolate pretzels for dinner. No, I am not kidding!!!
Oh Jeanie I understand the crazy. I think we all do. We tell ourselves anything to make it ok.

Why not try the supplements. The glutamine seems to be helping me. Also try to feel what it is exactly you are feeling at the time of the urge. I have found I'm tired, anxious, lonely, etc when the need to feed kicks in. I've taken measures to help quell those feeling. It isn't easy girl! Come here to this wonderful thread you started. Keep fighting!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Jeanie- how many carbs do you eat a day? I ask because I have noticed since I have upped my carbs I think I able to stay away from binging. Today I had some beets soup, spaghetti squash and cauliflower with my meals and my carbs count came to about 30 gr (gross). Few days ago I had about 60 gr (gross)carbs from veggies. Surprisingly, I am actually losing weight which has never happened during PMS. I am more hungry and eating more calories but not wanting to binge, so far (keeping my fingers crossed it continues this way). I was scared to up the carbs but it seems to be working. Maybe JUDD has something to do it, I don't know.
I thought I post this for you (and anyone else struggling), incase you are keeping your carbs very low and want to try something different.

FYI- I have stopped eating fruits and nuts, so the carbs come from veggies (spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, beets, carrots, onions, lettuce, cucumber) up to 60 gr of gross carbs a day. Some days I try to go very low and next day I go up freely.
Very interesting Marika. Good carbs and impressive carb count. I'd like to try that in a few weeks...
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #67
Big Yapper!!!!

Marika
I don't count anything but do allow for one generous salad a day. It probably isn't enough veggies,but when I ate all the allowed veggies on the new Atkins plan I didn't lose for the first few days in induction, as soon as I dropped the amount of veggies I immediately lost 3 pounds.

Thanks everyone for your support, it REALLY does help me to know others have the same struggles and through hard work and dedication are making remarkable progress. Since these binge threads have started I can't count how many times I thought about binging or going off plan and then didn't because of the accountability and support here. I know that I have to do this for and by myself, but all of you here make it more doable
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Jeanie you should be proud of yourself for controlling the urge, that is not easy. Can't believe I'm talking to people who knows what it's like to have urges to binge. I don't think I know anyone else who has this problem. Is it possible that when we binge we are covering up some feelings. The switch that goes off because we are about to experience some emotional pain? And the food actually stimualtes some chemical in the brain that finally flips the switch back. How do you feel when you want to binge and don't? For me it is kind of an uneasy empty feeling. At the same time it's a knowing that at some point in the future that I will give in. I think it's also a feeling of a loss of control, of giving in.
Or is it. possible we just binge because it actually is a physical need. Our metabolism made us do it?
Y'all tell me to shut up if I get a little too annoying with the trying to explain the why of it
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Texas. I'm not sure why we binge. Some attribute it to brain chemistry which is why I'm shoving 8 capsules down my throat everyday ugh! I will say this- when I forgot my supplements this week, I was not as centered as I had been. I felt off kilter- stressed and tired and maybe feeling sorry for myself
I'm hoping these amino acid supplements can fix whatever neurotransmitters are at issue... If indeed they are the issue
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks biochic, I am going to look into your supplements :-)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Jeanie you should be proud of yourself for controlling the urge, that is not easy. Can't believe I'm talking to people who knows what it's like to have urges to binge. I don't think I know anyone else who has this problem. Is it possible that when we binge we are covering up some feelings. The switch that goes off because we are about to experience some emotional pain? And the food actually stimualtes some chemical in the brain that finally flips the switch back. How do you feel when you want to binge and don't? For me it is kind of an uneasy empty feeling. At the same time it's a knowing that at some point in the future that I will give in. I think it's also a feeling of a loss of control, of giving in.
Or is it. possible we just binge because it actually is a physical need. Our metabolism made us do it?
Y'all tell me to shut up if I get a little too annoying with the trying to explain the why of it
Never going to tell you to shut up, I am very happy we can be open and honest here while trying to help one other. I know this sounds dramatic but when I want to binge and don't I feel nagged and tormented and can't relax until I either binge or eat until very full. The knowledge that I will sooner or later I will mostly likely give in is always in the back of my mind as well, the way I deal with that thought is to be thankful for the days that I don't binge and just keep going as long as I can binge free. I think there is some physical need as well for more food in general- because to lose weight I am cutting calories, not consciously but eating lower calorie nonetheless. Some people seem to be able to deal with calorie restriction and do great, but I feel like sooner or later my body demands the food and I will eat to make up for that restriction. Having said that many times I am no where near hungry and still want to binge- I can't really figure out why that is, it's like for some reason the low carb meal just didn't satisfy me in some way??

Last edited by jeaniem; 01-09-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

I get that nagging feeling too Jeanie. You feel on edge until you just have to "scratch the itch". That's what made me choose GABA as a supplement. I equate that feeling with anxiety and GABA is supposed to help with that I have to say so far so good
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Hang in there I know we are going to STOP being bingers. One day at a time...
(That includes you miss Jeannie-you are going to beat this)

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 01-09-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
WeLL I had me one big old TOM binge tonight. I have not binged in a few months, I was hoping I was fixed!! Guess not!!! I wanted peanut butter but I have quit buying that so did worse get into my sons reese cups (for school) and had way to many do not want to know how many!! SHould have just bought some Natural Peanut butter!! Will the binge monster ever GO AWAY!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

Me too Jeanie! Ice cream, choc peanuts & pretzels and oreos to top if off all washed down with diet pepsi Just woke up literally from a 2 hour sugar coma nap. The tension had been building for days and as usual I don't really know how to stop this cycle.

Lisa
Where did you buy the GABA? Does it make you sleepy?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Me too Jeanie! Ice cream, choc peanuts & pretzels and oreos to top if off all washed down with diet pepsi Just woke up literally from a 2 hour sugar coma nap. The tension had been building for days and as usual I don't really know how to stop this cycle.

Lisa
Where did you buy the GABA? Does it make you sleepy?
I know I feel like crap right now, I Do not know why I do this because I know I will feel bad later. I am the total oppisite I bet I will not get any sleep from all the sugar I eat earlier!!

I take L-gluatmine, DO not know about GABA??
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

I knew I would feel bad, but it did not stop me! That is what is so frustrating. I took my L-glutamine and chromium mid afternoon but it didn't help. Part of what got me I think?, is today marks 2 weeks of induction and I have not lost any fat only water weight. I have been working out almost daily and even going to bed a little hungry most nights. When I weighed and did my measurements this morning I was really disappointed which led me to throw in the towel. I know that is stupid, now I am worse off than I was before.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Sorry to hear that both of you caved today. Please don't bit yourself up and start fresh tomorrow. Sending good vibes your way

Jeanie- maybe since you are working out everyday there is a water retention and the scale is not moving down.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Hi ladies. Today is a new day. Shake it off. Do not beat yourselves up. S**t happens

Jeanie. I bought GABA at the vitamin store. I assume gnc would also carry it. I take it in the afternoon because I read it could make me sleepy. It doesn't ( I don't think) but I do need a cup of coffee when I get home- always did though so

People are touting the book Brain over Binge in the main lobby. You may want to take a look at that?? For me so far, the diet cure has been very helpful. But let's not forget I'm only 2 weeks in. Anything can happen

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Jeanie & Jeannie - Get right back on plan ! You are stronger than the binge monster! I just read "you can't succeed if you don't FAIL first"
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
"you can't succeed if you don't FAIL first"
I love this!!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #82
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Beeb

Do you still have your vision board? I plan on making one of these and am also thinking of making some kind of jar where I will have cards/reminders written out on paper that I can pull out and read when I feel bingey, or when I feel like I am losing focus.
Yes, I do still have the vision board but since moving it's focus on my career and finances. I haven't put anything about weight loss up there yet but it's in the plans as we speak.

I've been good on the binging since going lower carb again. I think I got my "triggers" figured out and DH is helping by giving me that "do you really want that" look when I start to walk back and forth to the kitchen for more snacks.

I've also decided that as of Monday I'm going to do the 8 hour diet, starting my eating at 1 and going until 9. This will work well for me since I don't eat breakfast anyway and find I'm not even hungry until about 12 or 1 in the afternoon. Being able to eat until 9 is going to be great too because I get to have that one last snack before sleep and I'm still getting the 16 hours of fasting I was getting on JUDDD.

Will see what happens. Have had a few days with night time binging but since switching to lower carbs and cutting out the "junk" I'm doing so much better. Sugar and even sweetener is my down fall so I stay away from this at night, most times....

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-11-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone. Back from the dead... Almost

Beeb- what's a vision board??
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #84
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Hi everyone. Back from the dead... Almost

Beeb- what's a vision board??

A vision board is a place where you put the things you want in life; money, good health, a home, a car, etc. on a "board" or in my case the wall above my desk.

I have cut out pictures and words or printed out words to the things I want to create in my life and I look at them everyday as a reminder that we are what we think so I will think of the things I can have in my life.

If you google "vision board" you will get a lot of examples!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Lisa,
My vision board has a picture of me at my goal weight along with cut-out motivational words and pictures. I also have a calendar on my mine and put a colored star on each day that I stay on plan. I don't like the colored star seems childish and am looking for something more diet/fitness related to use.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

I love this idea ladies!! I wonder if there is a digital equivalent ?? My office is a chair in our family room
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Hello everyone! I am back after a one week binge eating fest (gained over 10 pounds since Christmas )

I am back to JUDDD rotations ..they really are the only thing that work for me since every other plan including LC makes me feel deprived and that all or nothing mentality.

I love vision boards!! I have one in my room right now with tons of pictures and motivational quotes!

2 days binge free so far!!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Angie! Welcome back. This vision board thing is all over the place now! I had never heard of it until last week snd today a friends posted a picture of her in front of her board!! I'm gonna get "on board"
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1 View Post
Hello everyone! I am back after a one week binge eating fest (gained over 10 pounds since Christmas )

I am back to JUDDD rotations ..they really are the only thing that work for me since every other plan including LC makes me feel deprived and that all or nothing mentality.

I love vision boards!! I have one in my room right now with tons of pictures and motivational quotes!

2 days binge free so far!!
Glad you're back Angie. Way to go on the two days. Join us here 30 day binge free challenge if you want to.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I am a binger....gets terrible sometimes. Do any of you suffer from reactive hypoglycemia? I really think that is what sets off a binge for me. Even the slightest sugar/sweet and I am just craving sweets something fierce.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote