Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
binging food addiction

How can we stop this? Anyone been successful?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
not trying to be facetious here......have you considered therapy?
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I'm fighting the same battle. I'm hoping to maybe find some answers in The Diet Cure.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
I'm fighting the same battle. I'm hoping to maybe find some answers in The Diet Cure.
Some of us are finding some relief by doing a very high protein breakfast.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet_Belle
Stats: 176.4/172.4/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2011
If I eat in the morning it just makes me hungry all day... I feel good when I have a high-fat breakfast of 2 or 3 bacon slices and decaf coffee with heavy cream.... and then don't eat again until I have a lowcarb Atkins meal for dinner. When I do this I lose any weight I have gained, but I always have a day where I binge and I'm back at square one.
Scarlet_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

I used to feel the same way if I ate small-ish breakfast, but with the very high protein breakfast (around 50 grams), I am usually not hungry until late afternoon or sometimes even as last as dinnertime. I used to only have coffee and not eat until noon-ish, and was binging often in the evenings.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bazmom
I'm really struggling with this. Someone asked about therapy - I have tried to find a therapist, and it's difficult. When I finally did find one, the copays were too cost prohibitive (it was costing me $100 per month!!). I also felt like after spending a fortune we were just scratching the surface and I had gotten absolutely nowhere with it. If I had a million dollars and a totally open schedule (the therapist could only see me in the middle of the day), maybe I'd be cured by now.

I seem to go through phases where I'm fine and totally don't care about the carbs around me. Other times, I get angry and frustrated when I can't eat anything and everything. This typically builds up until I have an all-out binge.

Very frustrating. I'm down about 30 pounds, and have been stuck in the same 5 pound range for about 6 - 8 weeks now because of my binges.

Wish I had some answers. Hope someone who has been there and recovered has something helpful to say.

My Goal.....To actually get below 151 for the first time in over 13 years!
Bazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Baz
Some of us are finding that the BAB mentioned in this thread is helping us to curb binging.

Leptin Reset Challenge
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Just wanted you to know that this post inspired me to buy the book and check out the program.

I hope you are having success.

Thanks!
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes, somewhat. For some people carbs are an addictive substance, so you have to approach it like an addiction. I had to wean myself off of carbs slowly and just keep reducing them in my diet. I am now around 60g/day. I can really go much lower because I am a vegetarian, but if I could I probably would. You do need some but it isn't as much as what we traditionally consume in our diet.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Therapy ? well I tried it back in 1972, 1981, 1986 and again this year I did not find it
helped at all .
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLen View Post
Just wanted you to know that this post inspired me to buy the book and check out the program.

I hope you are having success.

Thanks!
I started in earnest on 12/28. I'm taking glutamine GABA and 5htp. I made sure to start at the lowest recommended dosages but I'm fairly certain I will need to up my GABA and perhaps the other two as well.

I hope you have found some success. Join us over on the challenge board
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

The L-glutamine has helped me get back on track. By the way it is also suposed to
help alcohol cravings.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

E.W. r you taking capsules or powder? I'm taking capsules but I have to take so many just to get the minimum dosage in.
I'll load up on glutamine tonight. Trying not to drink on New Year's Eve except the champagne toast. I'll stick to my seltzer for the rest of the night but I am so temped to have an ultra or two! I'm just afraid a little alcohol will make me lose my resolve. Better safe than kicking myself tomorrow! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
Start Date: 8-22-08
Hi JeannieM

as for your first question: binging food addiction - Has anyone been successful? I HAVE

can anyone stop food binging? NOT ME

HOW CAN WE STOP THIS?
What makes me the same person who was low carb for several years --- the same person that cannot stop the thought of wanting a food, to stop me from eating it?
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I was at goal weight in 2010 and did not binge in the 6 months it took me to get to goal.

I too do not know what changed, but I do remember feeling edgy, depressed and wanting to eat carbs by the bucket load! At times I have gotten close to my goal weight again, but have not made it more than a month w/o binging all the weight back on. All in all I think low carb is the closest I will get to any semblance of control, but it does nag at me that supposedly we will stop craving carbs after some time.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I was at goal weight in 2010 and did not binge in the 6 months it took me to get to goal.

I too do not know what changed, but I do remember feeling edgy, depressed and wanting to eat carbs by the bucket load! At times I have gotten close to my goal weight again, but have not made it more than a month w/o binging all the weight back on. All in all I think low carb is the closest I will get to any semblance of control, but it does nag at me that supposedly we will stop craving carbs after some time.
Since I have been doing low carb, I don't have any desire to binge at all. This is so unlike me. Usually I am plagued by a ravishing hunger a few times a day. Or when I sit down and start eating, get the desire to make myself seconds, thirds and fourths. Now I seem to enjoy the food, but don't really want/need more of it. My body also seems to be able to handle small amounts of carbs, ie. it is like I can eat a few grams and they virtually go undetected by my brain, especially when paired with fibre. It is a new experience for me, to go without the feeling of wanting to eat an entire box of crackers. I know I have been eating in response to insulin spikes and crashes for years. It was my main reason for going LC, to stabilize my insulin levels so I can eat like a normal person.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I seem to do well either on low carb or with JUDDD when I also confine my eating to a 5 hour window. But I also have some psychologal issues around my weight.

It's a long story and I won't bore you with it but part of me was scared of losing weight.
I think I have finaly come to terms with why this was and perhaps now I can lose my weight and not run back to the food.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

In the last ten years I have been thin 3 times and maintained for 2-3 years. Then I convince myself that I'm thin now and I can eat like a normal person but the problem is I'm not normal when it comes to food. Carbs coupled with stress send me on this crazy downward spiral and I can never catch it before it totally blows up
I'd like to be able to fight that voice in my head that tells me it's ok to eat things I know I cannot tolerate.
What I find the most remarkable/disturbing is how quickly 30 or 40 lbs can come back. In a matter of 3-4 months I'm back in hell

My clothes range in size from 6-16. I hate that my most personal failure has to be worn like a scarlet letter
I'm not sure how many times I have to fall before I "get it"...

The good news is I'm still willing to pick myself up

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
Start Date: 8-22-08
BIOCHIC

I feel like i'm reading my story when I hear yours. I have the same issue of not being a normal eater. I have a full on binger personna .

that is why this woe is so good for me, i'm able to turn off the monster by not eating the carbs......... it must be the blood sugar swings don't start up.

HOWever.... Not on plan??? OMG I am a freakin idiot.

the good news is I'm still willing to stop picking on myself
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Karen
I guess as long as we are willing to get back up we're doing ok
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Baz
Some of us are finding that the BAB mentioned in this thread is helping us to curb binging.

Leptin Reset Challenge
I must have missed it but what is BAB? I took your advice with the high protein breakfast and it really, really helps. You know I often thought my big binges were a sign of some emotional thing but now after all these years I find out it is reactive hypoglycemia. This forum is a great support. It has been 9 days and no binge for me.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi sara
BAB is short for Big Azz Breakfast. It helped me for a while and it is a great way to help me get back on track when I am really struggling with binge. Now I have gravitated toward not eating my first meal until about 1pm., I didn't plan this it just sort of happened. I still eat lots of protein though!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Hi sara
BAB is short for Big Azz Breakfast. It helped me for a while and it is a great way to help me get back on track when I am really struggling with binge. Now I have gravitated toward not eating my first meal until about 1pm., I didn't plan this it just sort of happened. I still eat lots of protein though!
Oh....Ok...got it! I need to learn all this terminology! I had a BAB today (one of the recipes I got from this forum ) and it really helped!! Thanks!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
My binging is so out of control I'm afraid to start eating most days because it triggers the endless stomach fill for me! I'm so frustrated with my weight and I have had to stop the 8 Hour Diet because I was just cramming food into my mouth for 8 hours and even though I was fasting for 16 and some days more I have gained 2 pounds from over eating during the 8 hours I could eat.

It's the "I gotta eat because I only have 8 hours to do it in" mentality that is killing me! It happened when I did JUDDD, too. Eat now because you can't eat later or in JUDDDs case, tomorrow you are going to eat very low calories and if you don't eat enough now you are going to be very hungry! I hate being hungry but the thing is I really don't know what hunger is! Goodness, I feel so right now!!

I'm so disgusted and sad! This has never happened to me before, I'm seriously thinking I need some mental help. I believe it's stress related from the past crazy and totally disrupted year I had and now that it's over I'm actually bored because there is no more drama so I'm eating!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Beeb I'm ao sorry you're struggling that pattern is so difficult or break once it takes hold. I totally understand not knowing what real hunger is I wish I had some helpful hints. Some people really swear by books like brain over binge. It may be worth a read???
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
My binging is so out of control I'm afraid to start eating most days because it triggers the endless stomach fill for me! I'm so frustrated with my weight and I have had to stop the 8 Hour Diet because I was just cramming food into my mouth for 8 hours and even though I was fasting for 16 and some days more I have gained 2 pounds from over eating during the 8 hours I could eat.

It's the "I gotta eat because I only have 8 hours to do it in" mentality that is killing me! It happened when I did JUDDD, too. Eat now because you can't eat later or in JUDDDs case, tomorrow you are going to eat very low calories and if you don't eat enough now you are going to be very hungry! I hate being hungry but the thing is I really don't know what hunger is! Goodness, I feel so right now!!

I'm so disgusted and sad! This has never happened to me before, I'm seriously thinking I need some mental help. I believe it's stress related from the past crazy and totally disrupted year I had and now that it's over I'm actually bored because there is no more drama so I'm eating!
I know exactly how you are feeling. I have been crazy binging for 4 days now I think? I have lost track, finally showered today after not doing so for a couple of days and even called in sick to work today because I am so mentally and physically spent from all the eating. I almost never call in sick, usually will go to work no matter what. I worry about mental health as well I get so depressed when I get like this that I scare myself with some of my dark thoughts.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know exactly how you are feeling. I have been crazy binging for 4 days now I think? I have lost track, finally showered today after not doing so for a couple of days and even called in sick to work today because I am so mentally and physically spent from all the eating. I almost never call in sick, usually will go to work no matter what. I worry about mental health as well I get so depressed when I get like this that I scare myself with some of my dark thoughts.
Jeanie-
I have been there many times myself. That lose of control is so devastating to the psyche.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Lisa. You are doing great!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
At least we aren't alone, Jeanie!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote