Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Don't be afraid to add some fat if you are hungry.
Have you tried fatbombs? I have a tendency to eat more than I should but I am thinking your event tomorrow would give a good opportunity to fill you up so you will be less tempted by funnel cakes and the like. Any, that's what I would do, plus big breakfast.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Marika, I am arming myself with supplements to beat this monster. I've started Pterostilbene which you probably have read about on the JUDDD thread. It takes a while for the appetite control to set in but I am certainly feeling the energy effects now as well as my complexion. I also got my amino acids yesterday; LTrytophan and DPhenylalanine which are the ones that fit my profile (aka Julia Ross the Diet Cure). So I have all the arsenal ready to fight this monster when it awakens.

MaryMary I love your Avatar - so beautiful - I could just imagine walking through that gate.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #213
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Good for you Mojo
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Jeanie, I agree with Bella. it doesn't appear to be enough food. Have you tried to key in the food into a tracking tooling? For this you will need to know how much you are eating. was it a 3, 4 or 5 oz serving? There are lots of them out there that are free. Usually, if you are eating the same thing, it is only necessry to rekey if you make changes to it. It will break it down and tell you the percent of fat, protein and carbs automtically with fiber and sodium, if you track that too. If you aren't eating enough, it is a way to set yourself up for the binge. How much is enough for a person your height and age?

I used to eat on a full stomach to a point of feeling stuffed. That feeling blocked and numbed my feelings for other things so I didn't have to feel. I was always thinking about food. When I got to about 270 lbs, I realized I needed to find out the age old question, "How much is enough?" I reread all of Atkins books, and what I found was to eat to the point of satisfaction. But I couldn't figure out what that was for me. It was as if the barometer didn't work in my brain. Faulty chemistry perhaps. I went searching for more direction and found something that worked for me. I do the same thing today that I did 10 years ago except maintain the weight instead of lose it. I am happy with the meals I get to have.

As far as a menu thread, since it oertains to this topic, I see no reason you coukdn't start one in this section. Do it by the week and someone woukd have to start a new one each week. I have seen the Golden Years do this and they also have an Exercise thread weekly along with a Roll Call. I use the menu thread mostly over there as a way to record my food somewhere. In the Addiction Support center, the one thing we have in common is the desire to stop the binging cycle. In the Golden Years, age is the commin deniminator (over 50). Good idea, Jeanie.

Thanks Mary. I will start tracking again. I hope you are doing well!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #215
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
"Fail to plan, Plan to fail" post your daily meal plans here

Here is the meal plan thread for anyone interested.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

thanks Jeanie, see you there
Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #217
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone, I am still at my daughter's recuperating. I am feeling good.

Food is in its place. No binging, no sugar, grains or alcohol. Just good healthy choices.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Hi everyone, I am still at my daughter's recuperating. I am feeling good.

Food is in its place. No binging, no sugar, grains or alcohol. Just good healthy choices.
Good to hear Mary
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/196/160 5'5.5"
I didn't fare so well yesterday...I'm trying to figure out what I'll eat for lunch today since all of my leftover meat is gone...I don't want to slip into the thought of , "Well, it's the weekend...I may as well start strong on Monday." Because of the two pound gain I see this morning, it will grow into a 5 or 6 pound gain...
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #220
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky, what happened yesterday? Did you have carb rich or just extra low carb? What thoughts did you have before the decision to do whatever it was yesterday that caused you to not fair so well? Do you weigh every day or once a week? How can we help?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Do you have eggs? Make an omelette or devil them or scramble them with butter and a bit of cheese.
Are you able to replenish you meat supply?
Even if in tins, it is good to have in the cupboard as part of "always being prepared."
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I'm disappointed with myself this week as well. I started on Monday and did great on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I had a very physical day at work and for some reason my body was craving carbs like no other. I caved. Then hopped on the wagon again on Thursday and did great until evening...what is wrong with me! I am back on the wagon today..really going to try to make it through the weekend. It helps to post here.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Can you come up with a strategy for dealing with a day like Wednesday when it happens again? I am big on learning from slips . . . Anything beyond physical work that tripped you up?
Were you hungry? Where emotions playing havoc?

Let us know how you are doing this weekend and be strong!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Becky and Sarah-

As others have asked- what else was going on inside you that may have triggered your eating off plan. Tired, lonely, stress in general, anger, anxiety? So many things can take the wheels off the cart.
Work on identifying them. It may help next time.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #225
Blabbermouth!!!

Sara, hungry, angry, lonely, tired. HALT. Top 4 reasons we eat off plan. You said you did physical work. Did you skip any meals or have next meal prepared ahead of time? Were you upset because you had to work so hard? Was there anyone you were upset with?

Next time you get a day or two or three together, call someone or write or pray or take a walk. But bottomline, I know when I was there, I needed to plan, prepare and protect this as if my life depended on it. Because it does.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much for the support...it means so much to me. I do have some anxiety and depression that I bring on myself. My biggest issue is I do not sleep well. After about three days of sleeping just a few hours my body gets weak and just starts to crave carbs. I am on day one again. I am going to get past three days this week. I did a lot of cooking today to get set for the week. I will post my updates. I hope we all have a great week! Sarah
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #227
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Sarah- I have also noticed that sleep affects my appetite big time.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #228
Blabbermouth!!!

Sleep deprivation can lead to obesity. Obesity can lead to sleep apnea. Hve you been tested? I take a sleep med Ambien CR which helps me fall asleep and stay asleep for at least five hours. It is just enough.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Mary ...I do not have sleep apena but I do think it is hormones...Once I went through menopause I was never able to sleep well. I have been prescribed ambien and lunesta but I only allow myself to take them occasionally for fear of building up a tolerance to them. Carbs make me sleepy...and sometimes I use that to my advantage but then feel bad the next day. There is a sleep clinic at a teaching hospital in our area that I may call today and see if they will take my insurance. I just want a nights sleep...not much to ask for right ?? I am starting day 2...feeling good about it. Have a great Tuesday everyone.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #230
Blabbermouth!!!

My sleep apnea did go away after I lost the first 30 pounds on low carb. It has not returned but I do not eat sugar, alochol, grains or legumes. It is one of the reasons I started this in 2001. I didn't want to have to use a CPAP machine the rest of my life if it was avoidable by changing my way of eating. I tried the ambien in the beginning and it helped me fall asleep. Then they came out with the ambien CR which also helps me stay asleep for 5-6 hours. I remember the sensation of not being able to breathe and thatnis why it is hard to all asleep.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

I have trouble sleeping also - staying asleep is/was a real issue. I take benedryl 25mg and it helps tremendously. I donT take it on the weekends, but Sunday thru Thursday it is a necessity!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Occasionally I will take benadryl but it does make me foggy headed and groggy the next day. What do you guys do when you get hungry? What type of snacks do you eat? Cheese? Nuts? Do you practice portion control when you eat cheese/nuts?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

I can't eat cheese, upsets my stomach. The only nut I eat is soynut. I use portion control and eat 3 meals a day, no snacks. I weigh & measure my food.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I eat cheese but I watch the portions carefully.
No to nuts. I can't eat just a few, so better off avoiding them completely.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

I'm crawling back after a few weeks of unmonitored eating. I'm trying to remember how eliminating bad carbs is the way I feel best...and control my cravings best. I wish it wasn't so hard, but for me, it is...

I hope you all are doing well. I'd love to hear your strategies for staying strong...what do you tell yourself? How do you talk yourself out of eating something you KNOW you shouldn't??

In the mornings I have the strongest resolve and in the afternoon nothing can seem to stop me from eating whatever...

I've been in LC for a mighty long time...you'd think I'd learn by now...I'm planning on stepping up my exercise too since summer time is here.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

becky123....I am right there with you! I cannot seem to get past 4 days! I mean this should not be that difficult...but it is. I think if I can get through 2 weeks I will be OK..but it is so hard. One day at a time...
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

I hear ya sarahatl! In June 2010 I went six months NOT ONE cheat! I lost 55ish pounds. I just can't seem to muster up that self discipline again. I know that is the healthy way to eat...I ate meat, LC veggies & salad...a little cheese. No breads or pasta or sugar.

I think if we can make it past that 2 or 3 weeks...we'll have momentum. We can do this!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #238
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rubi
Hi everybody,
I've been lurking on this site for a while ...but in the recipe rooms. But looking for support and inspiration I found this topic and I recognise myself in so many posts.
I can lose weight but I can't keep it off.
My jeans drawer actually looks like a dress shop...I have every size from size 8 to size 18.
My problem is the minute I think I can start eating like a normal person I start putting it back on again.
And finally at the ripe age of 58 I have finally realised that unfortuanely, I am not a normal person because normal people do not binge eat. This isn't to say that I am a bad person. I'm a good person....I'm just different.
Understanding this is helping me change my perspective and I am trying to get on top of what triggers my binge eating..
In my case I know it's not from eating a specific food like cheese or nuts.....but is emotionally triggered. I just can't always work out why.
But just changing my perspective about my abnormal eating pattern from one of self-loathing to a kinder view is producing results. In the last few months I have dropped one jean size.
It is funny though...when I first bought those size 16 jeans I was over the moon that I could get into them. Now my joy of getting back into them is mixed with crossness that I got bigger again in the first place. But I am learning to forgive myself.
Here are some of the things I have been working on.
1. I threw away my scales. The constant weighing just reinforced my negative body image. Now I just keep one size smaller jeans in my bathroom and try them on every few days. Oh...I can finally do up the zipper (but I can't sit down) And then Oh...I can sit down in them!! Yeah!!!
2. I eat a high protein breakfast and I do locarb/high protein but I don't weigh my food or work out ratios. At my age I know. I just work at eating healthy food that I like within the locarb/high protein parameter.
For me one of the problems about dieting is that the constant emphasis on food. I'm always thinking about it. I don't think normal people are this obsessed with food. But having said that, at the beginning of each day, I need to know what I'm having for dinner. Otherwise,The uncertainty can set me up for a day of bingeing.
3. I love cake. When I binge I always binge on cake. So since I discovered stevia (the only healthy non-suger sweetener) I always keep ingredients for no-bake cheesecake on hand. Somehow or other just knowing that it's there and I can have it whenever I want it soothes me, stops me from feeling deprived and I hardly ever want it!
And when I'm out and about with hubby and he eats something I shouldn't, I imagine going back home and making my cheesecake and eating the lot! Funny thing is often by the time I get home, I'm over it.
4. Before whenever I ate something I shouldn't, the guilt would bring about a full scale binge. Now when I'm out and I crack.....I have learnt not to blow eating e.g one tim-tam out of all proportion and I immediately forgive myself.
O.K. I may have to wait another week before I can sit down in my smaller jeans.....but it's not a race.

Personally for me everything seems to be easier with understanding myself better and self-forgiveness.

Not saying that I've cracked it though.....I've thought that before and fallen in a heap again.
rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

rubi, yours is a great post!Congrats for getting victory over the scale! That must be very empowering! I feel like if I don't write my weight on my calendar at least twice a month, I will gain so much...so quickly.

It sounds like you are at peace with yourself...what a great place to be! I look forward to reading more from you!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Rubi-
I think most of us have a similar story. I, like you, can lose wt but keeping it off is the real challenge. This is my 4 th time on this merry-go-round
I'm hoping that this time will stick but I cannot be sure. I've made some other life changes which I'm hoping will help. I am also triggered by emotions not necessarily food. Of course once I eat that first bit of ________(fill in the blank) I'm off and running. Getting hold of my emotions has be an enormous help. I'm not using food to medicate which is a huge improvement.
Best of luck to you. Congrats on removing the stress of the scale. I still weigh daily but more out of curiosity than frenzy....

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga