Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #181
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Bella, that is true for me. Give me an inch of carbs and I want the whole enchilada. I would rather stop the binge/diet cycle in its tracks and just eat my 3 beautiful delicious meals each day. What is delish for me may not be for you. I agree with the alcohol too as drinking sets me up for wanting more food.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It seems like with your greek yogurt Mary, it is important to eat foods we can enjoy and let go of the things we might enjoy, even love, that don't love us back.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I splurged this weekend and allowed myself sweet potatoe fries. I was nervous about it but it worked out great! I also had a few drinks this weekend.
At this stage of the game, I am concentrating on eating till I'm full and only eating when I'm hungry. I eat veggies and berries and yogurt and soy nuts and sunflower butter- I have no idea what that adds up to in terms of carbs but I'd guess I average around 30-50/day. This weekend I definitely exceeded that but stayed with legal foods.
I am very concerned about the slippery slope.... But I'm a little less about the wt loss and more about getting this binge craziness under control this time. Perhaps having my head in a different place is helping
I did notice that I felt a little anxious this weekend and maybe a bit blue as well. Could have been related to out last child graduating college but I think I will monitor that and restart the GABA if it persists.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I have not read the whole thread but I know this is where I belong. I really need help with the binge cycle I am on and cannot seem to get off. I am a true carb addict...does it ever get better? I feel it is a true addictions. The first thing I want to do when I get up in the morning is eat carbs..cereal is what I usually eat. The problem I have is I am not a big meat eater. I guess for now I will try to not eat anything with sugar or simple carbs. I will stay away from the fruit as well for the next few days. I want these cravings to go away! I am always hungry and when I eat it is carbs. That makes me depressed and foggy headed. It is such a vicious cycle. Also when I drink wine it makes me want to eat carbs so I need to give that up on the weekends. If any of you can get me any advice to get through the first few days of no carbs please let me know. I need some encouragement. I have been so depressed and I know it is my way of eating. I am so glad I found this place and this thread!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

If you don't care for meat, can you have eggs for breakfast? Perhaps scambled with a bit of cheese. Anything but the cereal, imo. Some of us like what we are calling bullet proof coffee, coffee with CO and HWC or CO and butter. It is really filling and keeps the cravings at bay.
Can you give up the wine during the week as well? My thinking is that it is just a sub for sugar.

Yes it does get better, but you need to start the day with fat and protein and not the cereal.
You do need some carbs but get them from vegetables. I find it helps to have them later in the day. Try not to get hungry; extra fat is a huge help along that line.

You can do this!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #186
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Sara...I ditto what Bella said. Please keep coming back.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Welcome sarahatl! I'm not new to LC, but I'm new to this thread...and I'm trying to get my feet stable after a long time of LCing most of the week and then blowing it on the weekends...

I don't have a lot of advice yet...but if you've related to what you've read here...you are definitely in a good safe place!

I'm trying to eat really clean...and be aware of what time of the month it is if I feel strong cravings...or to be aware of any foods I might have eaten that made me want to binge. The cleaner I eat, the better I seem to be at resisting...

I look forward to hearing more from you!

becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sarah- I really don't have anything to add other than suggest you read the book The Diet Cure. You may find some more helpful info there. There is a companion website so google and take a look at that
Welcome
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Thank you all for the warm welcome! That is just what I needed. I know I can do this. I started my day off with eggs/cheese..it actually tasted good. Today is my day off so I think I am going to make some low carb meals to get me through the week. I am going to take my dog for a walk/run. I don't drink wine during the week only Saturday night..but boy I look forward to that ALL week. Plan to give that up as well because I always over do it and then I crave sugar the next day. I will definitely check out the book...Diet Cure. Thank you all and have a great week.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Well I'm fighting munchies...when that scale doesn't move after I think it should...it's disheartening! But I plan to stay strong...& get busy...OR go to bed really early tonight!
I just knew I would wake up to a loss this morning...but none/.

And my scale...if I lean ever so slightly forward, sometimes it's two pounds heavier...and if I stand just a hair with my heels closer to the edge, it can be two pounds lighter...that drives me nuts! I know, I know...I should NOT sweat what the scale says, right???

How's everyone doing?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

I've been watching West Wing on Netflix...I'm in Season 3. Leo McGarry says the following in Episode 9...I just couldn't believe that I've said the same thing, but instead of alcohol, I was talking about carbs...it BLEW my mind.

"I'm an alcoholic. I don't have one drink. I don't understand people who have one drink. I don't understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I don't understand people who say they've had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this? How can you not want to feel like this longer? My brain works differently."

LEO McGARRY, "Bartlet for America" (2001)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #192
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
It blows me away to Becky, yet I feel powerless to stop it.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky123abc View Post
I've been watching West Wing on Netflix...I'm in Season 3. Leo McGarry says the following in Episode 9...I just couldn't believe that I've said the same thing, but instead of alcohol, I was talking about carbs...it BLEW my mind.

"I'm an alcoholic. I don't have one drink. I don't understand people who have one drink. I don't understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I don't understand people who say they've had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this? How can you not want to feel like this longer? My brain works differently."

LEO McGARRY, "Bartlet for America" (2001)
Absolutely. Addiction is addiction. My husband would always say " just have one bite and throw the rest away". Ummm, gee hon why didn't I think of that
I have always found myself back at square one because I convinced myself I was cured 3 months later I'm back in my fat clothes and making convert runs to the grocery store- hiding food in my closet and feeding my need.
My addition is cunning....I need to remember that!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

I hear ya jeaniem!

I just know when I cross over into the 200's...I get aches in my hips & feet & back...I've got to lose to feel better...but it just beats all I ever heard!

I never considered my problem an addiction...I have to really wrap my brain around that...
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Yep Biochic...I guess we never "arrive"...just gotta keep on striving...

I have done a lot of eating in secret too...trying to learn new habits.

My husband can eat 1/2 Little Debbie cake and leave the rest untouched...I could NEVER do that...but I could eat about 4 pks of LD cakes...and it wouldn't even PHASE me! Then
I could go on to something else...but hopefully, I'm on the right track...keeping my guard up...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I stopped eating carbs. The bingeing stopped. I am really tuned in to even low carb foods that produce cravings. I have always known that eggs, particularly hard boiled do not produce cravings, ditto meat & fish. Actually even 99% dark chocolate doesn't. No artificial sweetners. 2 hours later I would binge every time. Really, it may be that bingers have so primed their brain to respond to carbs as a drug that the level of carbs has to be much lower than your average overweight person. I do okayish on Atkins but on VVLC, I don't have to even try. The diet is self limiting. Love it.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

The low carb really gets me going the right direction. No sugar and all and that includes wine. Still within that I believe you are correct that we still need to figure what sets off our cravings and what does not. So much for us to learn, as we are all still individuals. I must still avoid nuts as much as I tell myself they are ok in limited quantities. I have gotten a little bit too much enamored of fat bombs, so I'll save those for special occasions when I know regular meals are hard to come by.
I'd say in conclusion that for me it's important to eliminate sugar, including fake sugar, stay as LC as I can (I include a few veggies every day), and never let myself get hungry by always having a snack available that does not generate cravings.

I have to work on my emotional ebbs and flows and they are easy to throw me off kilter.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
emgee and bella- I am with you on low carb helping with binges. I could not stop binging last week. It was becoming impossible to stop. I went on meat and egg fast last Saturday and since then I have absolutely no desire to binge. It is amazing. I am going to stick with that for some time and will slowly add in some veggies.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also can't do nuts. I think walnuts are the only nut that does not make me go overboard, but I do have to pre-measure it otherwise I will over eat it.
Yogurt is also my trigger food. Whenever I eat yogurt I want to pair with honey for some reason and once I have a tsp of honey the carb monster takes over and I can't stop for days and gain boat load of weight.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #200
Blabbermouth!!!

Identifying our individual binge foods is key as well as behaviors that lead to the binging episodes. Was I angry at someone? Was I so exhausted I don't remember what I planned to have? Did I feel isolated and alone? Did I skip my meals creating a hunger I wasn't prepared for? Do I leave mysef susceptible to the whims of others by not bringing backup to outings and social gatherings?

This is where planning ahead helps. At least in a general sense. I can grocery shop & cook on the weekends based on what I might eat on any given day. I have to keep it easy and simple.

I need to plan, prepare and protect my way of eating as if my life depends onit because it does. Not everyone hits the kind of bottom I did, but I know I never want to go there again.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

I like those questions Mary. I had non food triggers as well loneliness was/is a huge issue for me. Food made me feel safe and warm

I plan ahead too. I cook on Sunday. We food shop with a menu in mind. I always have hamburgers ready to be thrown on the grill and I usually make a large tray of chicken and veggies that I eat throughout the week.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

emgee...I think I have similiar tendencies as you do...if I eat really clean the binging isn't as tempting. The time when I lost most successfully is when I ate mainly meat & a few lc veggies...

When the problems began for me was when I added yogurt with some PB stirred in...

And then I ordered the Quest bars...they were absolutely delicious...but I found myself eating 3 at a time...problem...

tobelowcarber, sounds like you are on the right track!

I did not binge today...but I did eat some carbs...i was on a field trip with my son's class and we ended up at a restaurant where the only choice was fried chicken or fried fish...I ate two chicken tenders and two hush puppies...and a bunch of turnip greens...(none of the kids wanted those! haha)

I am fighting some munchies today...but I just ate a grilled chicken drumstick & hoping that will tie me over.

I will be proud of myself if I do not let the carbs I had today lead me into more carbs...but I plan to get back to very low carb so I can get over the cravings.

MaryMary & Biochic, I do find non food sources that bring on the binging...I have to get the whole house clean tonight for something going on tomorrow...and the procrastination is kicking in...that makes me want to go just eat & eat!!

Last edited by becky123abc; 05-07-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #203
Big Yapper!!!!

I have had a really bad eating day. This has got to stop I am literally destroying my health. I am sitting here with my heart racing from sugar overload

Here is my meal plan for tomorrow:

Coffee w/ 3 tbl, lite cream
5 oz. Yogurt w/ ˝ sliced apple
chicken thigh 5 oz.
1 cup Romaine, ˝ med, cucumber, 1 oz. shredded cheese, 4 cherry tomatoes, & ˝ c. green bean salad
2 TB. Dressing
2 Fried eggs
Iced coffee 2 tbl ˝ and ˝
Cheddar cheesestick ( if I get hungry at work)

If you all can think of a catchy title for a meal check in thread I'd be happy to start one. Not sure where it would go- a challenge thread?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

jeaniem, are you doing locarb as your WOE?
If so, I'd suggest swapping out the light cream and the 1/2 and 1/2 to HWC.
Actually I am not sure what light cream is, but half and half is giving you more carbs/less fat than HWC. Higher fat can help satiate and forestall hunger, and perhaps binging. You menu looks a bit skimpy to me. What do others think?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #205
Big Yapper!!!!

Bella
I hope to perhaps transition into lower carb, but right now I can't bring myself to go very low in carbs. The lite cream that I have is higher in fat than 1/2 and 1/2, but not as high as the hwc.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Excuse me for chipping in - I do lurk on the various binging threads as I was having some issues in the past. High carb, and particularly for me, nuts, are trigger foods however I find that having a full stomach triggers binging for me as well. For instance I could eat a perfectly healthy meal of vegies, salad, meat etc, but if I ate too much of it, so that my stomach was full - that would set me off on a binging frenzy from thereon. It doesn't seem to make any sense does it but I believe in my instance it's something to do with Ghrelin and the vagus nerve and signalling to the brain. I'm currently on a WOE now so I have no binging issues atm but I have been planning, analysing, researching, dissecting and thinking ahead of maintenance and life afterwards. What I am planning is eating s-l-o-w-ly and enjoying every bite; eating to hunger and stopping when hunger has gone, not bloated, not full, just at the point hunger dissipates so I don't get that full feeling that seems to do my head in. Even if this means wrapping the food and freezing it to get it out of sight; or tossing it if I have to. That along with amino acids as recommended by Julia Ross and I'm determined to kick this monster if it dares raise itself.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby

Last edited by mojocat; 05-07-2013 at 09:05 PM..
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting Mojo. Certainly a full stomach never stopped me from binging but I never thought about that actually being a trigger.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #208
Blabbermouth!!!

Jeanie, I agree with Bella. it doesn't appear to be enough food. Have you tried to key in the food into a tracking tooling? For this you will need to know how much you are eating. was it a 3, 4 or 5 oz serving? There are lots of them out there that are free. Usually, if you are eating the same thing, it is only necessry to rekey if you make changes to it. It will break it down and tell you the percent of fat, protein and carbs automtically with fiber and sodium, if you track that too. If you aren't eating enough, it is a way to set yourself up for the binge. How much is enough for a person your height and age?

I used to eat on a full stomach to a point of feeling stuffed. That feeling blocked and numbed my feelings for other things so I didn't have to feel. I was always thinking about food. When I got to about 270 lbs, I realized I needed to find out the age old question, "How much is enough?" I reread all of Atkins books, and what I found was to eat to the point of satisfaction. But I couldn't figure out what that was for me. It was as if the barometer didn't work in my brain. Faulty chemistry perhaps. I went searching for more direction and found something that worked for me. I do the same thing today that I did 10 years ago except maintain the weight instead of lose it. I am happy with the meals I get to have.

As far as a menu thread, since it oertains to this topic, I see no reason you coukdn't start one in this section. Do it by the week and someone woukd have to start a new one each week. I have seen the Golden Years do this and they also have an Exercise thread weekly along with a Roll Call. I use the menu thread mostly over there as a way to record my food somewhere. In the Addiction Support center, the one thing we have in common is the desire to stop the binging cycle. In the Golden Years, age is the commin deniminator (over 50). Good idea, Jeanie.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks posting this, Mojo. I have many times binges after full meal, so maybe there something to it. I always eat till I am full and I eat very fast. Time to slow down and try to eat till almost full.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

I'm HONGRY!!!!

I ate leftover grilled chicken for breakfast.

Lunch 12 grilled chick fillet nuggets & an Atkins frozen meal

Supper- I plan to have some leftover steak...maybe a can of green beans.

Boring eating works best for me if I can stick to it.

I'm going to a big flea market in the morning...will be on my feet all day...vendors selling funnel cakes & the likes of...gotta get my plan in line. I really want to keep my binge-free streak going...