Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Addiction Support
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Way to Go Garden!! I hope I can stay on this straight & narrow path too!

MaryMary...so sorry for the loss of your sister in law...how sad. 60 is surely too young. Sounds like she helped a lot of people in her lifetime. You doing alright staying on plan? Sometimes it's hard during sad times...

sramirez6, you make a good point...there are certain LC foods I don't have a problem overeating...but there are others that I can overeat. Last night when I really wanted to binge, I warmed up a can of green beans. THat was pretty satisfying. I'm glad you are here...everyone on this thread really understands the STRUGGLE!

Hi Bella! Good to see you posting! It's godo to know your fat bomb indulgence wasn't what a carb indulgence would've been!

Biochic, can I use your binge-free update idea? I like the idea of stating that on my post every day...it will accomplish 2 things -- 1. Getting to post a new number every day will be an incentive...and 2. It will help me post daily...any time I was staying strong...it seems I was also posting regularly!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
Made it through another evening without over doing it! My after dinner snack (which I made in advance because I knew I'd go looking for something) was a 115 calorie/no carb protein shake. I'm down 4 pounds since Saturday!
Wonderful
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Mary- so sorry to hear about your sister in law
Becky- go ahead and cout away! The is a 30 day binge free challenge over on the challenge board. Brandi and Cici just restarted their count today. They would love for you to join them. That was a very active thread a few months ago, but one by one folks dropped out. The more the merry. Check it out!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Mary- so sorry to hear about your sister in law
Becky- go ahead and cout away! The is a 30 day binge free challenge over on the challenge board. Brandi and Cici just restarted their count today. They would love for you to join them. That was a very active thread a few months ago, but one by one folks dropped out. The more the merry. Check it out!
Thank you Biochic! I'm headed there now!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
Stress sends me into a binge. I weighed in day before yesterday a little higher than I had been and you would've thought my pet died. I woke up yesterday and all I wanted to do was cheat and binge. I did end up binging, but on SF candy. =[ Not a proud moment people.
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

I hear ya Rebecca...if I wake up to a gain...after I feel like I've been "good"...I can REALLY lose it!

I'm going to try and press through and blame it on hormones or just water retention...but I understand that it's hard! We can do this! LC is the only way I can lose weight and be healthy...I am not able to eat a moderate amount of carby food...it just makes me want more and more and more...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I just have to be stronger than myself.
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #158
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Motivating reading
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Sometimes it seems like we require the strength of six men in order to get thru a day without binging. Yesterday I was worried that I would be seduced by the binge monster after having 2 pretty crappy days at work. So, I pulled up YouTube plugged in my headphones and listened to strangers read positive affirmations. I have never done that before and I felt pretty silly about it but...it helped��

Last edited by Biochic; 05-01-2013 at 02:37 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
What a great idea, Lisa! Thanks fir sharing.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Biochic, sounds like a great way to get your focus back! That's a good idea to listen to positive speaking!

Well after my post last night, I DID wake up to a gain this morning! I'm not sure what to attribute it to...but I understand fluctuations are normal and I can't let it throw me off track.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Thanks everyone !

MaryMary - sorry to hear the bad news...just goes to prove that we need to treat our bodies healthy by making the right choices as to how we feed ourselves.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I read Brain Over Binge and I think there is some merit to it. However, I have caught myself zoned out and food in mouth. The addiction will sometimes cause a quasi disasociative state I think. If I could talk myself out of it I would have a long time ago. I have to steer clear of virtually all carbs. Very very low carb and add fat. I'm finding my pattern switching to bigger breakfast and small dinner on its own after 5 days.
I also want to add that I have come to think of the voice in my head that says " oh try this other diet" as a way to break the plan that works and binge. It's a sneaky tactic I think the binge addiction uses to carb fest. i.e. the potato story above.
Eat high fat to get back on track. I know the calorie alarm in our head goes off but it works to back out of carb hell and spiraling down the drain completely. So I think in future when I get carb cravings that is going to be my go to solution asap.

Last edited by emgee; 05-01-2013 at 05:54 AM..
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #164
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Emgee
Is this the first time you have tried these ratios? What does a menu look like. I think I have eaten high fat before but have never really tracked macros consistently.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

I've resisted some pretty strong cravings...I think I'm on the verge of TOM. I think knowing I can update my "Binge-free" count each morning in my stats is a great incentive!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
And you are going to grow stronger as that number increases, Becky.
Congrats on beating the cravings.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Everyone is doing a super job! Still binge free.

I have to share a story. Today my DH drove me home from my DD's. we had no food to speak of in the house as my DH was with me the last 3 days. We stopped at Trader Joe's. we picked enough so I can make a salad and cooked some veggies and have some yogurt. While we were checking out, a young Crew Member came up to me with a bouquet of flowers and I looked down and said "Oh! aren't they beautiful! So many colors." He said to me "They're for you!" I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. I have to wear this strap around my chin until the doctors says that we are all set and the young fellow wished me a speady recovery. I couldn't believe it. I was a loyal follower before but today I had tears in my eyes. I just had to share this with you all.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

What a lovely experience, Mary.
You surely deserved it, brave lady.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Renews my faith in humanity! Lovely story Mary!
BECKY! great job!!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Rats! I just posted a nice long message and when I clicked "Post Reply" it went away!

So I'll make it short and say that this is the first time I've gone a whole week without a binge since way before Christmas! That is a big deal to meal. I feel like maybe this big old ship is making a slow turn in the right direction!

I hope you all have a great weekend. Check in whether you clean or not...we support either way!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky, congrats! One day at a time, it has a way of adding up.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Becky, don't you just hate it when your well thought out words disappear?
Anyway, well done on your milestone. I think the metaphor of the ship is a good one.
It can take a while to completely change direction, but change is still happening.
It's hard to be patient, at least for me, but that is what is called for it seems.
Be strong today, everyone.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks MaryMary & Bella! I was just doing some back reading on this thread and I'm AMAZED at how much I relate to posters in this group. It's so wonderful to know I'm not alone, but there's hope for all of us!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Becky. One week is huge!!! So happy for u. KUTGW
Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

THank you Biochic! Your success really inspires me!

Does anyone know of anyone who has serious overeating/binging problems that controls it while eating a standard diet? With some carbs?

Right now I'm feeling like I can't have carbs hardly at all in order to maintain control. I just wondered how those who can tolerate carbs deal with it. Or is pretty much a universal truth that bingers do best on a LC diet? (I hope that makes sense...my coffee hasn't kicked in yet...)

I'm still on TOM...but hopefully I"ll see & feel a drop in weight when I'm done.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
My binging is so out of control I'm afraid to start eating most days because it triggers the endless stomach fill for me! I'm so frustrated with my weight and I have had to stop the 8 Hour Diet because I was just cramming food into my mouth for 8 hours and even though I was fasting for 16 and some days more I have gained 2 pounds from over eating during the 8 hours I could eat.

It's the "I gotta eat because I only have 8 hours to do it in" mentality that is killing me! It happened when I did JUDDD, too. Eat now because you can't eat later or in JUDDDs case, tomorrow you are going to eat very low calories and if you don't eat enough now you are going to be very hungry! I hate being hungry but the thing is I really don't know what hunger is! Goodness, I feel so right now!!

I'm so disgusted and sad! This has never happened to me before, I'm seriously thinking I need some mental help. I believe it's stress related from the past crazy and totally disrupted year I had and now that it's over I'm actually bored because there is no more drama so I'm eating!
I was reading this and I could feel the pressure. I think that attempts to measure, count, restrict to windows makes me feel pressure and stress. Stress is a binge eating trigger. I notice bingers tend to be all or nothing kinda people and don't forgive ourselves well. For example, if the scale doesn't move, I can get pretty myopic about progress and be super hard on myself and this triggers a binge. Totally nonsensical really. I do better when the structure or the diet is geared in such a way that it self limits. I find, VLC for me as in mostly egg and meat/higher fat seems to self limit. I don't need to tell myself don't keep eating. I seem to naturally stop. I can't really on anything else in my brain. So I can't go by clocks. My mechanism is broken thanks to over indulging in carbs for years.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
My binging is so out of control I'm afraid to start eating most days because it triggers the endless stomach fill for me! I'm so frustrated with my weight and I have had to stop the 8 Hour Diet because I was just cramming food into my mouth for 8 hours and even though I was fasting for 16 and some days more I have gained 2 pounds from over eating during the 8 hours I could eat.

It's the "I gotta eat because I only have 8 hours to do it in" mentality that is killing me! It happened when I did JUDDD, too. Eat now because you can't eat later or in JUDDDs case, tomorrow you are going to eat very low calories and if you don't eat enough now you are going to be very hungry! I hate being hungry but the thing is I really don't know what hunger is! Goodness, I feel so right now!!

I'm so disgusted and sad! This has never happened to me before, I'm seriously thinking I need some mental help. I believe it's stress related from the past crazy and totally disrupted year I had and now that it's over I'm actually bored because there is no more drama so I'm eating!
I was reading this and I could feel the pressure. I think that attempts to measure, count, restrict to windows makes me feel pressure and stress. Stress is a binge eating trigger. I notice bingers tend to be all or nothing kinda people and don't forgive ourselves well. For example, if the scale doesn't move, I can get pretty myopic about progress and be super hard on myself and this triggers a binge. Totally nonsensical really. I do better when the structure or the diet is geared in such a way that it self limits. I find, VLC for me as in mostly egg and meat/higher fat seems to self limit. I don't need to tell myself don't keep eating. I seem to naturally stop. I can't really on anything else in my brain. So I can't go by clocks. My mechanism is broken thanks to over indulging in carbs for years.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Cici,
I eat 100 carbs a day with 30 grams fiber all from fruits & vegetables and a little soy protein. I eat meat, fish, eggs, poultry, soy and greek yogurt as protein sources in measured portions. I also eat a fruit in the morning and both cooked and raw veggies with fats at lunch and dinner. I have 3 meals a day with no snacks and have been doing this for 10 years. I never did VLC because I love my veggies and fruit. But the first 2 years I did maybe 30-50 carbs on Atkins 2001-2002. Induction for me was 2-4 weeks in Jan 2001, then I followed the carb ladder. So long as I lost 1-2 lbs a week I was happy. I had some months where I lost zero and some where I lost 7-8. It took me 5 years to drop 220 lbs. That was in 2006. I had a problem in 2011 where I got derailed for 7 weeks and regained 32 lbs. That is history now. I eat meat once a day because I have to have my Greek yogurt at night (love it) and in the morning I have two non meat breakfasts that I love. I can't eat dairy (other than yogurt), beans or grains. They don't agree with my constitution. I am allergic to avocados, coffee, caffeine, nutrasweet, chocolate and sugar. I stick to liquid stevia and in a pinch splenda. I don't eat corn, peas, rice or potatoes. For me this works and I maintain the loss. I am 5'7.5" and am 65 yrs old. My sugars are 83, cholesterol 157 with HDL 67. Triglycerides in the 60's. my doctor is happy and can't believe the permanency of the changes. Gerd is gone, panic attacks & anxiety are gone. I walk betweem 5-10 steps a day. I work 40-45 hrs a week still. The doctor admitted that if their patients were more compliant they would be out of a job. Healthy fod = healthy patients.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

I have a feeling (not enough experience to call it anything more definitive) that the diets that let you have a day off may not work very well for most bingers. My experience is more connected to alcohol, so I feel more confident in saying that most (I never say all) people with an alcohol problem would not succeed trying to become a moderate drinker. But I am guessing for most folks on this addictions forum, that eating more carbs occasionally is just going the trigger the desire/craving for carbs/sugar. Feel free to shoot me down.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

That should say 5-10k steps a day that I walk.