Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Becky, instead of control, try thinking of it as a plan. Sit down and plan your meals for the day. I don't snack but if you do, write them down too. Once you have your plan written down, this is all yours today. You can make them as beautiful as you want You don't have to think about food the rest of the day because you have your plan, just for today. When I fell hungry, I know I have another meal coming and am not going to starve if I wait and hour or two.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 199/192/160 5'5.5"
Start Date: :::again::: December 26, 2013
Thank you MM. Your stats are so great...I will try to plan out what I eat...and stick to it.

I've been successful before...and felt so great. I'm not sure why I can't get back to that.

What does GS NMW stand for (on your WOE?) I am interested in your support group... I feel like I might need some kind of accountability or help...it's a bit bigger than I can handle it seems.
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
No self hating allowed here, Becky.
Just hang around with us.
I see you've actually lost a lot and have been around here for some time.
What is your plan going forward?
What things have you learned that work for you and against you?
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Bella...I'm not sure yet...I'm pulling out books like Wheat Belly & Taubes' Why We Get Fat...and trying to remember exactly WHY LC is best for me. I do best when I eat mainly meat & veggies...and stay away from nuts & other LC foods that trigger cravings to binge.

I've been on the LC road for 16 years and lost and gained a lot of weight. I'm hoping this time it will stick...

I feel like if I could go clean for 3 weeks...i would have some momentum behind me...I went 6 months in 2010 without one "cheat" and I looked & felt so much better. I just have had the hardest time getting my appetite under control... I've not made it past a week in a year...I just don't understand why I can't stay focused.

I don't so much mind my size...but my body is starting to ache like it did when I was around 210...my hip is starting to hurt again...with some other pains...and I know I've got to make some permanent changes.

I'm glad this thread is here...I honestly don't anyone around me that struggles with overeating the way I do. I feel like I could enter one of those contests where you eat a whole lot...I feel like I could win! haha I just rarely feel full or satisfied.

Thanks for listening to me ...when I was successful, I posted on this board...it so helps to know others understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
No self hating allowed here, Becky.
Just hang around with us.
I see you've actually lost a lot and have been around here for some time.
What is your plan going forward?
What things have you learned that work for you and against you?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

I am glad I have a month behind me. It took a long time for me to get my head together to restart! So glad I did and you will be too. I am looking at this a long term WOE, although I humbly know I am only a month it. But still it's a start and I am going forward.

Have you tried coconut oil? That's one of my best new discoveries for quelling hunger.

Do you have times of the day that are harder than others for you?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Bella, a month is GREAT to have behind you! Congrats! When people start saying, "Are you losing weight??" that is such an encouraging factor! Right now I just tell myself, " might as eat what I want and restart Monday. But if I can just hold out for a month, it will be easier to resist and just eat right!

I have done the coconut oil thing daily...and you are right, it does a great job of supressing appetite...I just about gag though thinking about ingesting it...ugh...I wish I liked the taste of it. I may have to revisit that...it has so many good health benefits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I am glad I have a month behind me. It took a long time for me to get my head together to restart! So glad I did and you will be too. I am looking at this a long term WOE, although I humbly know I am only a month it. But still it's a start and I am going forward.

Have you tried coconut oil? That's one of my best new discoveries for quelling hunger.

Do you have times of the day that are harder than others for you?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

[QUOTE=becky123abc;16397192] But if I can just hold out for ________, it will be easier to resist and just eat right![/ QUOTE]

Becky, We have today. That is all we are promised. One meal. If you can follow the next meal the way you plan it, then you never have to go through the hell of starting over again. Can you committ right here and now what you are going to have for the next meal? Once you eaten it, come back here and committ one more meal.

GS stand for the 12 step program I work to support my recovery from compulsive overeating.

NMW means No Matter What. There is nothing today in my life that is more important than following my plan because it gives me the opportortunity to have a life that I never before could have imagined. I am available to my family, hubby, kids, grandkids. I plan my day by starting on planning my meals. Where will I be? Do I need to shop? Or cook? Or prepare backup? If I go to friends houses, I bring something and I bring a full meal so that I am never at anyone's mercy. This is not a diet to me. This is the way I live my life. Before I couldn't get off the couch. Today I can walk 10k if I want. I have a choice today, to eat healthy or not...to fell good or like crap...the treat my body with respect or not. So no matter what, I weigh and measure 3 meals a day from my food plan, I write it down and call it into my sponsor. I don't eat between meals no matter what. It is not for everyone but that's ok. It is for me.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
MaryMary - I think your attitude and comments are AWESOME !!! I've been lurking around LCF to get my myself back on plan and reading your posts today has helped me get my brain back into the game. THANK YOU !!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/133/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi everyone. Glad to see people are talking and sharing our struggles and successes. I saw a friend yesterday who I have not seen in 6 years. She has lost 78 lbs! Her motivation? Last year when she asked her 21 yr old daughter what she wanted for her birthday, the daughter replied " I just want you to get healthy Mom so you will be around for a long time"!
I find it interesting that she couldn't/wouldn't lose the wt for herself but when her child spoke up, something clicked!
It dawned on me yesterday that my addiction is/was selfish. Nothing and no one mattered when that urge to feed took over I don't know if that is the same for everyone. I guess Oprah would call this a lightbulb moment for me.
When in the throes of binging, I am not the same loving wife/mother/friend. Anger and self loathing alter the way I interact with everyone around me.

Now, over 100 days binge free I am the person I long to be. I have been here before and fallen back into the black hole- but this time feels different my health is an issue but additionally I am noticing how my relationships have improved- not only with others but with myself. Remaining mindful of the changes not associated with wt loss has been a powerful tool this time around.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Lisa and Susan,
I find the personal changes in me as well. The selfish person you refer to was alive and well when I am binging my brains out. It is only about me and how I will get enough of whatever food I want. If I want to teach my children and grandkids to be more loving, it starts with me. If I want to be selfish, I can be selfish about loving myself enough to make healthy choices for my health starting with what I put into my mouth.
Today, I went for a walk with my daughter and she treated me to lunch. She came up after the walk and asked ok mom what can you have? I told her and She served me 4 oz scallops, 8 oz spinach, 8 oz gazpacho and a tbs dressing. A perfect lunch, beautiful and tasty. Se is a pretty good cook. Now I need to teach her to take care of herself in the same way.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Motivating reading

Last edited by Butternut; 04-28-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Biochic, your post is very enlightening to me. I'd never thought about my binging as being selfish...but in a very real way it is.

Last week I was eating very clean for a few days and I saw 3 Mini Twix on my desk and it blew a hole in my mind! I became consumed with the thought of eating those...I did...and then I found the whole bag of mini candy bars and picked out ALL of the Snickers & Twixes...and when I got home i ate more....of whatever I could find.

I haven't eaten clean through a weekend since Christmas. BUT...yesterday and today I'm doing good. I'm trying to plan what I'm going to eat like MaryMary says...

Usually on Sundays, by the time church is through, I'm tired and hungry/weak (I'm in charge of music so I get there early and it's busy, busy until about 12:30)...but this morning before church, I ate a HUGE leftover grilled chicken breast...maybe that helped me have some stamina. After church we went to the local pizza place and I ate a chef salad...I haven't turned down pizza in a long time!

My plan is to try and get some good protein in the mornings...and eat mainly meat & veggies for lunch & dinner. One day at a time, one meal at a time...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Becky. I was taken back by that realization yesterday. Had it not been for the visit with my friend, I don't think I would have made the connection. Interesting how seeing something through someone else's eyes often gives a clearer view
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnsnana
Stats: 129/118/107
I have struggled with binging since 1995. It wasn't until I started Atkins that I was able to get a handle on it. I'm not "recovered" yet, but a lot better than I was. I found that all my binges were on carbs/sugars. I NEVER binge on protein (meats), veggies, or pure fat! Nuts would probably be the exception to that rule. My binges have always been birthday cake, donuts, chips, pizza. Since Atkins 6/2011 my binges are now so much less but of course, since I eat very healthy now & don't keep those things in the house, I have to make a conscious decision to drive & get the binge foods. When I do, its a good 2000-3000 calories worth EASY of all carbs/sugars. Makes me think the sugar/carbs act much like a dopamine type stimulant to the brain that triggers that "feel good" sensation that keeps you wanting more. I get almost the same "high" from an apple or pear as I do from the birthday cake too, which is why weight watchers "unlimited" fruits didn't work well for me. I would eat 2 or 3 pieces of fruit, then go to the candy bars, pizza, etc.

I don't know how anyone else's struggles are with carbs/sugars but I find, having an addictive personality to began with & being an "all or nothing" personality doesn't work well with carbs/sugars.
johnsnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Johnsnana, The carbs/sugars are the addiction I have for the most part but I also like just about any type of protein, nuts & beans included. Atkins worked for me the first two years because I could eat all I wanted of the protein and salads w/ dressing. But then I got to the point where I realized I was eating too much protein and had to figure out the portions. Now I have just one fruit a day in the morning with my breakfast protein. Then the rest of the carbs I get come from cooked and raw veggies, greek yogurt, seeds and dressings. I have some foods I am allergic to and can't eat because I get sick when I do. It took a while to figure out which ones these were. The obvious ones were sugars and grains/flours, but it turns out I am lactose intolerant as well as allergic to coffee, chocolate, dairy & aspartame. I either get diarrhea, migraines, intestinal distress, gas, all very uncomfortable and unnecessary if I stay away from them. It helps if we each figure out which foods we binge the most on or which ones are bridge foods. If I eat it, it bridges me to foods that I can't handle. For example, peanut butter isn't bad, but when I eat it, I eventually will eat chocolate and other sugary things. Then I can't stop until I get sick. So I stay away from peanut butter. My food addiction has progressed to the point where if I go back to where I was, it will kill me. Today, I choose to live and in the process get to eat some really delicious food.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Johnsnana, I feel like I could've written your words! There HAS to be a physical reaction going on in our bodies...it just can't be that we are undisciplined or weak.

When I added yogurt & nuts & dabbled with JUDDD diet...I started my downhill slide into binging. I guess I just need to stay away from certain things & foods.

Sometimes I will feel this nervous -frenzied feeling...and I feel carbs are the only thing that will calm it...so I go crazy...then feel bloated & regretful.

It's pretty incredible that others experience the same tendencies...I've never come across anyone in real life that seems to struggle the way I do.

Edited to add: But most people I come in contact with would be suprised to know I struggle with binging...I guess it's a secret bingers learn to keep and mostly do in private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnana View Post
I have struggled with binging since 1995. It wasn't until I started Atkins that I was able to get a handle on it. I'm not "recovered" yet, but a lot better than I was. I found that all my binges were on carbs/sugars. I NEVER binge on protein (meats), veggies, or pure fat! Nuts would probably be the exception to that rule. My binges have always been birthday cake, donuts, chips, pizza. Since Atkins 6/2011 my binges are now so much less but of course, since I eat very healthy now & don't keep those things in the house, I have to make a conscious decision to drive & get the binge foods. When I do, its a good 2000-3000 calories worth EASY of all carbs/sugars. Makes me think the sugar/carbs act much like a dopamine type stimulant to the brain that triggers that "feel good" sensation that keeps you wanting more. I get almost the same "high" from an apple or pear as I do from the birthday cake too, which is why weight watchers "unlimited" fruits didn't work well for me. I would eat 2 or 3 pieces of fruit, then go to the candy bars, pizza, etc.

I don't know how anyone else's struggles are with carbs/sugars but I find, having an addictive personality to began with & being an "all or nothing" personality doesn't work well with carbs/sugars.

Last edited by becky123abc; 04-28-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Casey, I want you to know too that I relate! Thank you for posting...I was just about at the end of my rope and ready to just give in to a life of aches & no self-control...when I got an email saying you had written on this thread. It had been a few weeks since it had been written on...but to see that notification came at just the right time for me. I felt like there was some Divine activity going on...like it was my time to get back to LCF & this thread.

I don't know why I'm so hard headed and I forget what I need to do. But I am thankful for new days, new seasons and the ever present opportunity to start over. As long as there is breath, there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Quote: I do my eating plan for next day regulary.
But yesterday I ate my lunch for today. I baked a cheesecake. It was so tasty I ate it at 10.30pm after I felt bad about it. Maybe I was too tired to control myself but the point is that I made a plan and I did not stick on it.

Ok, you can not hold my hand to keep me away unplanned food but I will try today. I had already my dinner. Next food could be 6.45 or later. Cross your finger to me.
Gladiator.... Every time I see your posts it's like I'm hearing my own voice. I plan and plan and stay on the path... And then it's like another person takes over control of my brain and I binge. I don't understand it, but try to manage it. Just wanted you to know that I relate to your struggles.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

My binges where based around carbs/sugar too. My go to foods were frozen pizza ice cream and cookies and chips. What I found in terms of feelings pre and post binge was anxiety or anxiousness pre and a calming sedated feeling post. I liken it to medicating with food. Becky, it seems we have similar experiences.
Two things haves helped me avoid that pattern- I started taking GABA after reading The Diet Cure and I also started doing yoga.
The GABA helped set me on the right path (I think) and I was able to stop taking it after about 3 months. Yoga I continue to do 2-4 times a week and I'm hooked. Of course, YMMV
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

I saw the scale move downward this AM because I didn't go "snack happy" last night after dinner! So pleased to see that! Only had a cheese stick, dill pickle and a few nuts then made myself go to bed ! Can I continue on this path.......I hope so !!!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Biochic, that's interesting that we have experienced the same sensations...I don't know WHAT'S going on in my body when this happens...but I must be lacking something. I need to re-read the Diet Cure...I have it around here somewhere...and the yoga/stretching class sounds great. I need to get more physical, for sure...walking a dog around the neighborhood isn't getting my heart rate up at all...

Garden, Good for you for staying strong! I'm rejoicing with you for seeing a loss! That's so encouraging!

Usually I start Monday Morning with a carb hangover...but I ate clean Saturday & Sunday...I'm eating chicken breast right now...and I plan to eat an Atkins frozen meal for lunch.

No more mini candy bars for me!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeh! Becky, congrats for making it thru the weekend with no hangover. One day at a tome, you can have each morning like this.

Susan, good going on the late night snacking...building new habits.

Lisa, I am going to have to pick up the book you mention, Diet Cute, to see what all the buzz is.

Johnsnanan, how is it going? What is on e agenda for today?

Butternut, you have been around the boards for a while. Tell us about yourself.

Bella, howdy, thanks for your support last week. I kept remembering your advice, to keep busy, and it really helped when I was stressed out.

Today, I go to the doc's and hopefully get the sutures out. My hair needs washing and I have been holding off until I get the green light. I am going to a hair salon for the first one. My DD is a nervous Nellie around the stitches, etc not a blood and gore kind of gal. Never would have made it in the medical field, as a result she has watched me with a hawk eye this last week. I won't know how the scale is until Friday morning when I am back home.

Friday, May 3rd, DH and I are headed to his surgeon 2 hr in other direction as he has to have a hernia repaired and and cyst removed from his pancreas hopefully in the next two weeks. He will be in the hospital 3-4 days. I will need you all then too.

Have a great week!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
I saw the scale move downward this AM because I didn't go "snack happy" last night after dinner! So pleased to see that! Only had a cheese stick, dill pickle and a few nuts then made myself go to bed ! Can I continue on this path.......I hope so !!!
Yay
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Becky- congrats on avoiding the hangover

Mary- you certainly have a full plate! My sister had a face lift a few years back and the doctor had a deal with a local salon. Every pt went to this salon to get their hair done and it was included in the surgery free! Needless to say, she fell in love with the stylist there and continued going there until she moved away. Quite a racket

Hello to everyone else. Hope you're having a great day
Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
The only thing that seems to suppress this binge urge in me is a somewhat higher fat ratio. Reducing protein, reducing carbs as low as I can stand and upping fat to my tolerance which is probably 70% helps a lot. that's what I have just begun doing and I have been able to not binge. I was a runaway train mess. Extra fat calms the binge beast. It's not a cure in that I would prefer never to be obsessed with food ever again but it is a really good aid. I think the difference is I don't feel as deprived.
In fact, in looking back at correspondence with another friend on the board, she did say she finally beat the binge beast with a similar ratio of 70% fat, reduced protein, reduced carb diet. It's funny how sometimes the message is right in front of you but it takes a while for you to get it in a way that's meaningful.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

It seems it is good to tinker until we find what works. I am eating fewer carbs and more fat that in the past and so far so good. I've only been hungry a couple of times in the last month. I really need to focus on my water consumption, as it's easy to get behind, especially at work. CO is my new secret weapon.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Emgee- My ratios are similar. Fat between 60-70%, carbs between 5-10% and the rest protein. They just seem to end up that way because I eat full fat yogurt, cream cheese etc.

Bella- getting enough water in is a struggle for me too. I tend to try to get most of my water in at night but of course that presents other issues with waking up to empty a full bladder
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Made it through another evening without over doing it! My after dinner snack (which I made in advance because I knew I'd go looking for something) was a 115 calorie/no carb protein shake. I'm down 4 pounds since Saturday!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #148
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello everyone,
My sister in law passed away Saturday from cirohssis of the liver. The liver had to work so hard trying to process all the substances she consumed including wine, vodka, sugars and grains in solid form as well. When you hear that this will kill you, believe them. She was 60 years old and gone too soon. I tried to help last fall, but I think she must have known something then. The drinking and binging escalated after her dad died in 2006 and she retired from a very full life of teaching special needs children 4 yrs ago
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #149
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sramirez6
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/15/2013
Hey I'm here because I have dealt with restriction, bulimia, and (most recently) binge eating. I finally feel like Atkins gave me the tools to get it under control. Been on Atkins induction for 2 weeks and feel much better. I still deal with the emotional component and If I must binge its on "legal" food. My low carb options are not near as gratifying to binge on lol, so I end up getting my head together much more quickly. I am so ready to break free from this awful addiction!!
sramirez6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Nice going last night, Garden.
And welcome to you, sramirez. Great to hear that you are doing so well after two weeks. I agree harder to binge on our allowed foods. I did a bit last week with fat bombs, but really no comparison with what it might have been.