Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tylar
Stats: 180/180/??? 5'7" 48
WOE: SB/301
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Hi guys -

Today's "For Today" has a wonderful message:
"I pray to recognize the limitations of logic and reason; to entrust to God the problems for which I cannot figure out solutions."

It's funny how, the further I get from COE, the more I see what a control freak I am - especially in the need to "know" everything. I'm typing here in my home office, surrounded by ceiling-high bookshelves with everything from anatomy, diet and health to history, business and gardening. What if I just relax and say, "I don't know,"? It's really exhausting, needing to find an answer for everything.

Maybe this is part of the "let go & let God" thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Ok, you all have inspired me. I have been so reluctant to go to an OA meeting....lots of fears. But, I have committed to attending one this Wednesday after work.

Appreciate all of the encouragement I can get. I am not a "group dynamic" person. I am more comfortable with one-on-one.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Marilee, that's wonderful! I know what you mean about the one-on-one thing; I think lots of us are like that. I know I am.

You're lucky to have meetings close by. I've only attended a few over the years, but that was in a different state. They were small, but the people were really nice. And it's so comfortable to be among people who "get it," you know?

Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Tylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bikergoth
Stats: 318/311/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 06/11/2012
hey all,

Its good to see this group. I am returning to this group (LCF.COM) after a "hiatus", and 40+ lbs gained. Its funny how after 20 years of continuous sobriety, I still am unable (unwilling) to admit my powerlessness over food. Even when some of my binges (feeding frenzy) as of late have filled me with the same disgust and shame that I felt when I was drinking and using.

Anyway, I started back into "induction" yesterday and will be taking it ODAT and plan on hitting an OA meeting this weekend. I am hoping I have hit bottom because I have set a new record for my body weight and it aint a good record.

Thanks,

Tony W. in SLC

Last edited by bikergoth; 06-12-2012 at 07:24 PM..
bikergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Howdy everyone! Good to see new faces.

I've got a lot to be grateful for. I'm getting extra hours at work this month. I work on my feet. It is so much easier now, than when I was 80 pounds heavier. It's been harder to plan reasonable meals, though. I'm glad I've got tomorrow off, so I can buy some groceries.

One of my favorite things about being in 12-step recovery is how I've been able to connect with folks in other programs at the church I attend. I've been going there for six years. People have noticed the weight loss. When they ask me how I did it, I tell them I started it with Atkins, but I couldn't have kept it off without OA. I hadn't realized how many people I know who are in AA or NA. We speak a common language.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Tony! Congrats on the years of sobriety. Regarding powerlessness over food, I had a hard time with that one, too. Then I realized it isn't ALL food, only certain ones that I crave & binge on and go crazy with. Once I got rid of them, it was like a light-switch on my cravings. Wish I would have stuck with it the first time around (I fell off the wagon & of course, regained everything), but each day's a new beginning. I've been on-plan for about two weeks, and I feel great.

Doug, I love the "common language" we speak. It's like instant family whenever I find program people - starting with Al-Anon in my high school years. My mom (AA for almost 30 years) has always said she has family in every city in the world.

I've always thought everyone could benefit from a 12-step program. In a way, that's what faith organizations really are. It all comes down to, "We admitted we were powerless." And we really are - about pretty much everything.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone. Well, tonight is the OA meeting I told you all I was going to attend. Nervous as heck, but I am going to go. It's so easy to back out and not, but then the same habits and sabotage behaviours continue and it is time to stop.

Appreciate all of the positive thoughts, energy and prayers I can get.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Well, tonight is the OA meeting I told you all I was going to attend. Nervous as heck, but I am going to go. .. Appreciate all of the positive thoughts, energy and prayers I can get.
Have fun, Marilee! Remember, you don't have to say anything. Just smile & observe, if you choose. Everybody was a newcomer once.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can smile - but the non-talking part will be hard
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Marilee, how did your meeting go?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
There is another 12 step program FA that is suposed to differ from OA by concentrating
more on food as an adictive substance than OA does. OA realy left me cold....
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, guys, I didn't make it to the meeting.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I got my 9-month chip at my Sunday night home group yesterday. Nine months free of sugar, starch, and alcohol as of Friday. We each define our own bottom-line abstinence; that's mine. I've got a lot to be grateful for.
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations! You are to be commended. I can't even make it through a weekend....
Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hani
Stats: 235/179/thinking about really skinny
WOE: moderate carbs, no sugar.
Start Date: 3/21/03 @235 uncomfortable pounds
Hi everyone!
great job Doug! Gibby, i am proud of you -- for letting us know you didn't get to the meeting. i see that as a brave thing. the meetings are there whenever you need them; i've found some great ones online...which is super for me.

Tony, way to go. OK, there are other ppl here,, too, who are doing great, so give hugs to yourselves everyone.

one of the things I love about OA i also love about LCF -- so much support.
I've been reading some quite inspirational OA literature...well, actually it is A.A. literature...stuff lately. so many ppl out there who struggle in ways just like mine.

anyhow, wishing you all a great weekend!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Hani! I appreciate the support. Just finished a bout of depression so I think I'm up for attending a meeting this weekend.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Hello, all! I was reading "Voices of Recovery," an OA daily reader. The quote for August 14 is,

Quote:
"Here we experience the great truth that when we let go of our need to control people and simply allow our Higher Power to serve others through us, we receive an abundance of joy and strength."
-- The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous, p. 106

Then the commentary,

Quote:
"Allowing God to serve others through me has become the central purpose of my life. Practicing these principles in all my affairs has not always been easy. I practiced first in OA meetings, then with OA friends, and then at work. The hardest place to practice these principles has been at home, with my family. When I remember that my purpose is to allow God to serve others through me, my relationships are easier, my work life is a pleasure, and my home life is a joy. I no longer have to control people or situations. I trust God and focus on service."
-- Voices of Recovery, p. 227

"I trust God and focus on service." How's that for keeping it simple? This is how healthy I hope to be someday, though I am nowhere near it now.

Last edited by Doug K; 08-14-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trvlpk
Stats: couldnt tell ya
WOE: Support of friends
Hello all,

Have not seen much action from this thread. How is everyone doing - especially since we are now through the holidays!

Me personally, I am struggling! I have not been able to make it to my regular f2f mtg due to not having child care on that day. I can tell that its affecting me. I know that there are alternatives to f2f but have not had "motivation" to attend these. :-(

I hope you all are well!

Sarah
trvlpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi y'all,
I belong to a 12 step program for compulsive overeating too. There are phone meetings, facebook pages, live meetings, online meetings, so if someone wants to check them out, there are lots of opportunities for all different approaches.

I hear at the meetings that it is a spiritual disease. The substances can change from alcohol to food to drugs to spending, etc and on and on, if we don't get into a "fit spiritual condition."

I refrain from drinking alcohol because it is made from sugar and grain. I am not addicted to the liquid forms of fermented sugars and grains but I am addicted to sugars and grains. It feels like it ferments inside my body, because I have a lot of gas, swelling, aches and pains in my joints. Headaches, panic attacks, depression. Morbid obesity that kills.

I recently read Wheat Belly and it confirmed again why I don't eat grains. I attend more than one type of 12 step meeting and have purchased step literature from CEA - HOW. They have a website and I ordered step questions and worked them with my sponsor years ago. They are big in the southwest and CA. I am from New England. So none are available here. It really doesn't matter which 12 step group you use, so long as it is the one you feel a connection and hope.

I started on Atkins in 2001 and lost the first 100 lbs in two years, not fast, a good pace. All my medical numbers improved. I went off medications that I had been taking with the guidance of my doctor. She was very happy for me that I found a way to live life without the weight getting in the way. It was the end of 2003 when I went looking for a more structured low carb approach because I couldn't figure out how much was enough. The Atkins books said to eat until you were satisfied. I was never satisfied. I had used LCF since June 2001 and someone on these boards pointed me to a person from these boards who used the sheet from OA that was grey and folks who were in it. As Doug said it it not for everyone. I go to OA too and am speaking at a meeting in a couple weeks to tell my story. And because OA doesn't endorse any food plan, I am free to go to both because I am a compulsive eater and food addict.

I found a sponsor in this other 12 step group and proceeded to do what she suggested. I write my food plan down on paper and call her with it in the AM, i eat breakfast, and pack up my lunch and sometimes dinner if I am in the late shift at work. The structure really helps as I turn 65 in Feb and forget things. So writing it down and having my favorite meals makes it easy to shop and chop my veggies. I seem to get plenty of fat. I keyed in my food to an online tracker last May to see why I stopped losing. It was because I was eating lots of red meat and whole milk Greek yogurt. So I switched to fish once in a while and low fat greek yogurt. I went from eating 1700-1800 cal day to 1200-1300 and started losing again. My breakdown is 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbs. My net carbs are 70-75 and my fiber is about 30-35 a day. So even by shifting the calories I still get 50% fat. I get a fruit in the morning and lots of beautful veggies.

So the food is in its place and I am sane on most days. I started walking this year and quit chewing s/f gum. Yeh! I was addicted to the gum. Today is day 51 with no gum and walking 10,000 + steps a day. This is a biggie for me because I was the inveterate non-exerciser.

I get to work in a job that I love and they apparently like my work. What a blessing!

I was so close to getting the GBS but chickened out. I kept going to their meetings but never went through with the surgery. I saw people have it, lose it, and gain it back. Some went on to a new addiction since food wasn't an option. Some died. I stayed going to the meetings even after I lost the weight because they would let me say a few words to the group about other options and that surgery wasn't necessarily the road for everyone and that there is a way with the 12 steps. It allowed me to do a community service.

None of this would be possible today if the hand of God had not reached out to me through the LCF BB, a woman on these boards, who led me to the 12 step group I am in. It works, if you work it, one day at a time.

Hiwever, I didn't work it for a year or so, stopped exercising, put my kitchen scale away, stopped calling my sponsor and went back into the abyss in 3 short weeks in 2011. It lasted a total of 7 weeks. I gained 32 lbs. Panic attacks returned within 3 weeks when sugar and grains were reintroduced into my system. My joints hurt, the fears returned, I was feeling hopeless. I couldn't take it anymore and made two phone calls to people in program and they helped me out of the abyss.

To day I check these BB when I can and have a couple favorite facebook pages that I share in. I attend meeting and make phone calls. Abstinence comes first. If I am abstinent, everything else is an option. The world is filled with possibilities. So today, I am abstinent and grateful and committed. This is a matter of life and death, not a diet. I want and have a life 2nd to none. Some days are a challenge. That's okay. I am alive today. What a blessing it is to be alive!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-06-2013 at 03:16 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Hello anyone/everyone that may still be hanging around! How is everyone doing in their OA programs? I have been in relapse for a while now. I had still been attending meetings but it wasn't enough to ward off the ever sneaky progressive disease of over eating. I have recently made program work more of a priority. It's very hard to do in the environment I am in, but I NEED to do it or I will be back in a bad place.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Trvlpk, i am still involved odat and abstinent and grateful. For me it has saved my life. Hope all is well with you.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Mary, what is odat?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

One day at a time!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I love this thread, I found my For Today book and have begun reading it, thank you guys!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, Sarah here. Compulsive overeater. I have been in relapse for a while now but have recently went to a OA conference with my sponsor and did steps 4 and 5. It is relieving but I am having a really hard time changing my behaviors to stay clean. I need more spiritual recovery. More letting go letting HP. I need to stop trying to control my food because it's back firing. Can anyone relate? I am hoping this post finds some of you fellow OA'rs in good recovery!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't give up! I fell on Mar 2 and fractured scull. Don't know why I fell. Thankfully I am alive to try another day. This has changed my life.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Mary I am glad to see the message from you. I knew from a prior message that you had fallen.

p.s. just saw you update on the May Day Challenge, on the Century Club thread. Glad you have made it home.

Last edited by Patience; 04-06-2014 at 07:21 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/204 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Don't give up! I fell on Mar 2 and fractured scull. Don't know why I fell. Thankfully I am alive to try another day. This has changed my life.
Mary, I'm glad you are okay. That is quite scary to end up with a skull fracture.
I've lost a lot of weight, too; and I was informed that the center of gravity changes due to massive weight loss, and it takes awhile for your body to get used to its new "proprioception."
I had a bad fall 3 yrs ago, and I was fortunate not to have fractured my jaw and to have lost all of my upper teeth!
Hope you are on the mend!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mary,

I pray you are healing well!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I came back to LCF looking for a thread for OA'ers. I went to my first OA meeting when I was in my 20s and would attend randomly for years, one meeting here, one meeting a few years later. I struggle with:

Accepting the idea that I am powerless.
Accepting that there is a "higher power".

I want a solution. I want a cure. I want to surrender. I want to believe. I want to be free from my addiction to food (specifically sugar).

But I don't know how to let go. I don't know how to surrender. I don't know how to make myself believe in something I cannot see or feel. I don't know how to stop eating eating eating, not even for one day.

This isn't a diet for me. This is a life and death struggle with a powerful addiction that people don't understand. I'm addicted to sugar, but honestly, I will take ANY carb if something sugar isn't readily available.

In addition to sugar I am addicted to xanax. I have a prescription for it. I've been taking it for 18 years. It started out at .25mg per day in the beginning and now I am up to 2-3mg per day. The idea of not taking it terrifies me. I can't even imagine it at this point. I am absolutely dependent on it. I have tried weaning myself off many times, I can get myself down to .5mg per day but then I start to get tremors and ticks that will not go away until I increase the dose.

I'm going to Google OA stuff and try to fake it. Does that work? Can you fake it till you make it in OA?

I'm grateful for this thread and the posts that I read from the beginning.
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote